Recognition Of Good Work By Christian Groups From Canada

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Why, why, why give so much attention to this 10% ?? What a waste of posts. Talk about the people that gave their time to build the churches and schools and bring medical supplies and more than likely paid out of their own pocket to get down there.

Because there are wolves in pastor clothing lurking around there. In addition to preaching on Sundays to the tourists, they will book you a room in their "5 star" hotel, and sell you a piece of property in "paradise" by totally lying about the situation there. For example, here is something from one of these fine human beings website (and this is not from back in 2006...this is tonight!).

?20-30% return on your investment!
Are you young, a mid-lifer or older? How would you like to own your own condo in Cabarete, one of the hottest ocean towns in the Caribbean, and make 30% or more return on your investment every year.?

And this is just one of them. Religion is a business there. Just another marketing angle to draw in customers.

Seriously.

And until the true religious folks expose these hucksters, and run them out of town, I don't have much respect for any of them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Seriously.

And until the true religious folks expose these hucksters, and run them out of town, I don't have much respect for any of them.

Because we know in the secular world that there certainly are no hucksters, ohhh brother.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Chip what exactly are you asking here? A definition of morality as you and your belief system see it would be nice.

What is Morality and Where Does Morality Come From?

NotLurking

NotLurking,

Man, this was an excellent article! I especially liked his conclusion:

"From the above discussions I think it is safe to assume that the moralities in human society are inherent and internal within us. What I mean is that the mechanism that creates morality is built into our genetics. Morals are subject to a wide range of applications and extremes and some societal moralities can be created from lies and false beliefs. They are subject to change and most are not absolute. What was once moral, for example slavery, is no longer moral today and thus we move on toward a more civil and moral human society."

Great article.

Frank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"...What I mean is that the mechanism that creates morality is built into our genetics. "

Great article.

Frank

Exactly my point.

Now somebody explain how the such a large "genetic" leap happened between us and the other primates?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
But you do have to belong to a church to look down your nose at those who don't.
Der Fish

The very same could be said for the church of atheist, as witnessed by you bacalao and many others here on DR1, aunque lleguen disfrazao'.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Have a look at this article....

Moral Camouflage or Moral Monkeys? - NYTimes.com

NotLurking

Yep...another great article. Good find!

I especially liked this tidbit:

"And beyond mating, many social animals depend upon the cooperation of others for protection, foraging and hunting, or rearing the young. Here, too, power can attract partners, but so can a demonstrable tendency behave cooperatively and share benefits and burdens fairly, even when this involves some personal sacrifice — what is sometimes called “reciprocal altruism.”""

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This guy is all over the place and presents his tentativeness as insight. I can't believe he is teaching philosophy at Notre Dame.

Unfortunately, i got 15 minutes to kill so, i thought i would address an issue that occured to me while reading this fascinating New York Times article. In this article, the philospher, Gary Gutting, brings up an excellent paradox: Even if there was over-whelming compelling evidence of a god or gods existing, and everyone was absolutely convinced about a supreme being in the sky overlooking the earthly devout such as Chip, what would compel him or her to want to save one's soul (Soul is a man-made concept first used by the Goths in the 4th century)?

Now read this fantastic explanation/theist dilemma and imagine, if you will, that someone walked out of prison on an island, or landed here from another planet, and people began explaining to him or her this unique Christain concept:

Bible Description:

Old Testament: god creates the universe and despite some hick-cups, takes the creation as serious business. But then Satan pretends to be a snake and trolls Eve, telling her “Apple or GTFO” (because she was already showing her tits and the push-up bra hadn’t been invented yet). She chooses the former and then her and her “sleep-over” partner, Adam, get kicked out of Eden for playing doctor and nurse and being trollbait. Then a lot of incest occurs and we get what we know today as the human race (which explains a lot, really). Later, god gets ****ed off about a pharaoh pawning the Jews, so he gives Moses some cheat codes for the universe. Moses stages a mass slave runaway and opens up the sea so that the Jews can run through, closing it behind them and drowning thousands of people. Good Lord!

New Testament: god finds Mary sleeping and just sticks the tip of his “Magic Wand” in and drops some fluid seeds. Nine months later, Jesus is born. For his 13th birthday, god gives Jesus even more cheat codes than he gave to Moses, plus a password for eternity. Later, Jesus becomes more or less what would be described today as a Rastafarian and starts schooling his fellow Jews hard, giving them lots of homework to do, but they take no heed. They in turn, get ****ed off at Jesus and nail him upside down to a wooden cross using nine inch nails. Unfortunately, they didn’t realize that Jesus had his cheat codes to the universe in his pocket and his God Mode (GM) button turned on just in case an unpleasant situation such as this should ever arise. He waits three days and pushes his God Mode (GM) button—which is really just the preliminary version to the modern day “Flux Capacitor” that Michael J. Fox employs in Back to the Future to escape Islamic terrorists. After that, three more guys tell the same story, and then a “closet homosexual” by the name of Paul wrote a lot of crap about how sex is bad for you, evil, dirty, nasty, and some other stuff that Jesus never said but, everyone listens to Paul because, well, let’s face it, we humans are a pretty gullible race of stupidity, indoctrination, brain-washing and bad logic—which, explains a lot, really.

To summarize: This "alternative" Bible goes into painstaking detail about a Jewish zombie who was his own father, who can make you live forever if you “symbolically” eat his flesh and drink his blood and telepathically tell him you accept him as your savior, so that he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman--named Eve--was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a “magical” tree…yeah makes perfect sense.

Love Frank

Last edited: