Renting or buying in Santiago

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Something like that. It's a club in a gas station. Used to be called the International Carwash. Good place to pick up hookers.

Apr 7, 2014
Hello Everyone,

A personal goal of mine is to have another home in another country. I was looking at the Philippines and while I liked it I know in that country I can never own any land there. I can only own a condo there. With that being said I am looking at the DR again. I was in Santo Domingo two years ago and while it is ok I want to go to a city that is not as large population wise and not as touristy. So far I have been looking on YouTube, DR1, Re-max, and Century 21 sites about renting and living in DR. I plan on visiting Santiago next month to see if I like it or not. If I do like it I can go back and visit every 3-4 months since I can take off from my job. What I would like to know is I would like to start off with a 1 bed and 1 bath apartment for rent. Then move up to ownership. Not sure if I should invest in the campo around Santiago or move to a smaller city such as Moca. If I can I would like to keep my rent around 5K-15K RD. These are the questions that I have:

1. What are some good neighborhoods in Santiago? I see Pekin, Ensueno and others but I do not know how they are.

2. Is it possible to find rent or rent to own for a 1/1 or a 2/1 around 5K-15K per month?

3. Will I find more deals when I place my feet on the ground?

4. Would Moca be a good place to live safety wise and good homes?

My ultimate goal is to own if the price is right. So I would want to have something established there.
In Santiago I know just what you are looking for.

Moca is too noisy for me.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Apr 7, 2014
"Right now have someone I am an getting to know from Pekin." OMG!!

Friend that is one of the areas you will notice NOBODY has recommended and I doubt that that woman has even gone to most of the places mentioned above.

I realize that this sounds snooty and clasist (and it is, a bit.) But it is also reality. That is an area that is known for sex, drugs and raggaeton music.

I would walk extremely cautiously if I were you.

None of your neighbors in any of the neighborhoods suggested would be very open about dating a woman from Peking.

For those of you that are going to slam me for these comments, I am not PC and I know a lot of people in Peking. One, a fantastic judo protege of mine and her sister, both got knocked up and lost just about everything--scholarships, international travel, the list goes on. There is a clinic there called Juan XXIII, where drug related accident, crime and fight victims come every day. You can see 11 and 12 year old mothers, too....it is, in essence, a barrio of Santiago. Are there good people there? Yes there are, but there are a whole lot of not-so good people, too.

Wait until you are settled before going out looking for "someone special" is my advice.....

Might save your life.

Sorry to be such a curmudgeon, but such is life here....

You can ask me about Randy some day.

HB
Pekin sucks as do most of the communities south of Circunvalacion. I got a great place for the OP, right across from the backside of Supermercado Nacional in La Moraleja. New construction, literally just finished and vacant. This is a swanky ass place. Blue glass swanky. To the left you got some of these big wig law firms, to the right, Supermercado Nacional plaza. Go up the street you got Av. Benito Juarez and the trendy spot there. Go down the street there is some other stuff.
As a matter of fact I got mucho contacts for the OP in the area. These are where respectable foreigners should live. Pekin? Damn man, you might as well live in Conani.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Apr 7, 2014
Yes. I was curious about that when I asked. When I looked at the neighborhood on Google Maps I did not know what to think of it. HB I always take my time. I do not want to get involved with nobody too fast. Also I did mention some areas I saw and she told me that she hardly goes out of the barrio besides going to gozamba bar, lovera and tabu when she has the cash.

She s a bum....

Pekin sucks as do most of the communities south of Circunvalacion. I got a great place for the OP, right across from the backside of Supermercado Nacional in La Moraleja. New construction, literally just finished and vacant. This is a swanky ass place. Blue glass swanky. To the left you got some of these big wig law firms, to the right, Supermercado Nacional plaza. Go up the street you got Av. Benito Juarez and the trendy spot there. Go down the street there is some other stuff.
As a matter of fact I got mucho contacts for the OP in the area. These are where respectable foreigners should live. Pekin? Damn man, you might as well live in Conani.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

When are you going to be in the country?
Send me a message and I will show you the places.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I have a nice place in cin fuago. Great fried chicken and cold beer dlivered right to my door. Uber is expensive we have the F car 25p.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016

The Thermoquad Cowboy

This is why I come here to learn. I know every city has good and bad areas.

She s a bum....

When are you going to be in the country?
Send me a message and I will show you the places.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

I plan on coming there around the 18th of next month and I did no know Pekin was like that.

I have a nice place in cin fuago. Great fried chicken and cold beer dlivered right to my door. Uber is expensive we have the F car 25p.
Sounds like a good neighborhood.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cienfuegos is on a par with Peking. FYI, the woman who just kidnapped one of the twins out of the maternity hospital, was found and captured in, where eles?: Peking!!

There are four or six people on this board who can show you places, but just get an Uber driver and a Google map and drive around the places mentioned and look at the For Sale or For Rent signs....Then get a Dominican friend to do the calling. OR, get one of us to point you in the right direction...

Have a good visit..HB

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Cienfuegos is on a par with Peking. FYI, the woman who just kidnapped one of the twins out of the maternity hospital, was found and captured in, where eles?: Peking!!

There are four or six people on this board who can show you places, but just get an Uber driver and a Google map and drive around the places mentioned and look at the For Sale or For Rent signs....Then get a Dominican friend to do the calling. OR, get one of us to point you in the right direction...

Have a good visit..HB

Thanks HB!!!

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Buenas tardes !
" 4. Would Moca be a good place to live safety wise and good homes?"

First I lived in Santiago, Gurabo and moved to Moca where i live for 5 years now.

I like Moca very much : not a big city, there are a few restaurants, 35 min. from Santiago and 45 min from the north coast -Sabaneta de Yasica, Cabarete. Good homes and new apartments.

I have great vieuws where i live and VERY quite. i do not support noise.

If you want i can be your guide. 

Beste regards
HIRAM
H H H 

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As a matter of fact I got mucho contacts for the OP in the area. These are where respectable foreigners should live.

This comment makes you sound like you don't have a clue
about Santiago. Being a "respectable" person has absolutely
nothing to do with where you choose to live.

I know plenty of respectable people Dominicans, Haitians and
gringos who choose not to live in (swanky) areas of Santiago.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Buenas tardes !
" 4. Would Moca be a good place to live safety wise and good homes?"

First I lived in Santiago, Gurabo and moved to Moca where i live for 5 years now.

I like Moca very much : not a big city, there are a few restaurants, 35 min. from Santiago and 45 min from the north coast -Sabaneta de Yasica, Cabarete. Good homes and new apartments.

I have great vieuws where i live and VERY quite. i do not support noise.

If you want i can be your guide. 

Beste regards
HIRAM
H H H 

If I have time to go there on my vacation I will. I have always wanted to check it out.

You do have a point. All in all I just plan to take my time and enjoy the place to see if I like it.

Apr 7, 2014
This is why I come here to learn. I know every city has good and bad areas.

I plan on coming there around the 18th of next month and I did no know Pekin was like that.

Sounds like a good neighborhood.
Cienfuegos.is a bigger ****hole than Pekin.
I.mean damn man that is where the city landfill.is.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Apr 7, 2014

Who cares what you think? Did I ask for extra tears in my mangú?

My comment meant I can show the OP exactly were he would LIKE telling people he lives and actually live there. "Miami like". None of that, Cienfuegos or Los Pepines or Buenos Aires nonsense.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Who cares what you think? Did I ask for extra tears in my mangú?

My comment meant I can show the OP exactly were he would LIKE telling people he lives and actually live there. "Miami like". None of that, Cienfuegos or Los Pepines or Buenos Aires nonsense.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Oops, struck a nerve.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Bumping this thread again. I found an airbnb in the neighborhood of cerros hermosos. Looked at some pics from google maps. Is this a good area in Santiago? Seems ok from the pics on google maps.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
The area is OK but I don't know any places to eat that you can walk to. I would prefer villa Olga or Los jardines much more

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
The area is OK but I don't know any places to eat that you can walk to. I would prefer villa Olga or Los jardines much more

Yes. I did notice that. It seemed more like a suburban type area of Santiago. For now I will take an Uber for where I need to go or a Taxi.