Rice cooker...?

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Aluminum pot & Spicy Peanut Sauce

Hi Hillbilly,
Will take suggestion to buy pot there into advisement. Also, spicy peanut butter I've never heard of but, we (Malaysians) do a spicy peanut sauce which is out of this world. We don't use peanut butter but, roasted peanuts ground up very finely and cooked slowly with coconut milk in the pot. Chillies and shallots required to make it spicy. My mom's recipe for the peanut sauce is actually "patented" and used in a chain of restaurants over in the US. Confidentiality contracts does not allow me to state name of restaurants but, rest assured...it is yummy! Will share recipe while there. Hey! Can I get coconut milk there? or is that a real stupid question? What about Shallots?
The way we eat the peanut sauce is with coconut "sticky" rice cut into cubes and cucumbers. An indonesian dish uses the peanut sauce poured over Soy Bean Cakes, bean sprouts, egg & lettuce.
Hillbilly, will definitely be in touch. Keep those woks prepped and oiled! :)

And for Gemini, I am real lucky that my husband does all the chores around the house when I'm there in the DR. He wouldn't allow me to lift a hand. Now that we have a 3 mth old boy, I wouldn't be doing any household chores even if I wanted to. The little tyke keeps me on my toes!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! Helen, and thanks....

I can't wait! This is going to be fun!!

A lot of folks here really enjoy what I prepare. And yes you can get very hot peppers and shallots here..Hey, maybe you can bring some shallot seeds? We can grow some for the gourmet cooks here. I was not going to say this, but I have to: Of course we have coconut milk! How do you think you make funny drinks with the little umbrellas?? We grow tons of coconuts here!!

don't sweat the 3 mo. old baby. The one thing Dominicans will absolutely go wild over is a little baby. You won't have to lift a finger here... All the ooohs and aaaahs...I will buy you an "?sabache" a Dominican charm to ward off the Evil Eye, since your baby must be so cute. Now that is a real Dominican tradition!!

Send me an email, please? I want to send you my phone numbers..

HB, gettin' ready to cook!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
rice cookers and con con

The people I know who use them, tell me once you start using it, it makes no sense to keep cooking rice on the stove. I've never seem one used by a Dominican family either in the DR or the US. Not sure if they are for sale in the DR either. Adding the oil and letting it cook at bit longer produces the con con. I personally like both ways.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Hillbilly[/b] said:
A lot of folks here really enjoy what I prepare
I do! I do!

I don't know much about HB's teaching abbilities, but if the "teaching business" fails I think he could open a fonda* in Santiago. The guy can cook, I promise.

*Dominican mom & pop's restaurant.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok Helen, now you have got me on the hook...

Speaking of spicy peanut sauce, ummmm, I had a thai salad with spicy penut sauce on it in atlanta. I just couldn't believe it was so tasty.
Ok, here is the deal. You are looking at the post of a famous (self proclaimed) pakistani chief here. spicy original pakistani / indian curries are my speciality. BBQ chicken shish Kebobs will make you bite your fingers and not to mention all the "Ummmms and aaahhhhs...".
Lets get it on, I will bring a spicy dish for everyone and lets have a food / dinner party in someone's house (the santiago gang).
Let me know when and where.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly, AZB...

Hi guys,
I can't wait! Eager to test the dishes that you've both mentioned. AZB, the dish you'd mentioned is called "Gado-Gado".
Hillbilly, will try to get a hold of the shallot seeds for you.
I knew I was going to hear it from someone re: coconut milk...glad it was from you, Hillbilly :) Looks like I've got all the required ingredients for spicy peanut sauce. I will have to bring the ground peanuts myself.
It's going to be a great night of Asian dishes in Santiago.
Will email you soon, Hillbilly. I will be arriving in mid Feb...with the babe in tow! Baby is cute (I'm of course, biased!) but, he is quite the handful.
Looking forward to your curries as well, AZB. Hey! What about roti? Who knows how to make some to go with the curry?

The Joker

Jan 12, 2002
www.jcfdata.com
Rice Cooker

You can buy many different models of rice cookers here, Plaza Lama, and Carrefour both have a few differnet sizes and makes.

I do agree though that my Dominican wife look at me like I had a hole in my head for wanted to buy one.

James

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Rice cookers avalaible 40.00US$

Hi guys, you'll find rice cooker in any good store in Puerto Plata or any cities... Around 700 pesos, many differents models... I bought one myself, but my dominican wife only uses it to boil water !!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bout roti :(

Hi helen, i am also looking forward to the "santiago gang" cook fest. Roti is a bit of a challenge for me but what I substitite for it is a pita bread from Ali baba's bakery in santo domingo. I will sure to have some handy for us.
Hey criss, if you are man enough to endure some hot hot spices, come on over. wait, I just remembered, you lived in thailand.... man, you could give us a lesson on hot stuff for a change.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
roti

If someone wants to fly me down to the DR, I will be happy to make some homemade roti for your party; will even do some aloo parathas....

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Roti...

Hi AZB,
I will try out my roti recipe before going. This way, I'll know if I'm going to embarrass myself or not. I've been taught to do it the old fashion way...on a roti stone. If it doesn't work out, we'll have to count on you for the pita bread.
Hi jjsk, yum...wish I've enough bucks to do just that...fly chefs over to the DR just for the cook out. :)

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Roti...

Helen said:
[B}
Hi jjsk, yum...wish I've enough bucks to do just that...fly chefs over to the DR just for the cook out. :) [/B]

My services come cheap! Only need a plane ticket and a couch to sleep on.... :)
<sup>(I'll even bring my own flour, ghee, chapati pan, etc...)</sup>

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hey JJSK, tell us about yourself.

JJSK
where are you originally from? I was born in pakistan.
What about yourself? If you are not of indian decent then where have you learned about all the indian foods?
Are you a male or a female? Just curious.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Hey JJSK, tell us about yourself.

AZB said:
JJSK
where are you originally from? I was born in pakistan.
What about yourself? If you are not of indian decent then where have you learned about all the indian foods?
Are you a male or a female? Just curious.

Though I sometimes pass for a very fair skinned Pakistani (or so my mother-in law says) when I'm wearing my salwar kameeze, I'm just a Canadian girl.
Learned all about the cooking from my Pakistani in-laws...
Makes for an interesting mix; me with my Catholic background (translation: "where's the booze!"=family motto) in my husband's Muslim family...
:)
<sup>I do mehndi too (think I could make a living selling it to tourists in the DR?)</sup>

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
me very curious

very intresting background. Do you speak urdu?
You speak of moving down to DR, does it mean alone or with your hubby? Are you still married?
I mean, it sounds very strange to see a woman married to a pakistani, willing to move down to DR alone. You see my point?

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Re: me very curious

AZB said:
very intresting background. Do you speak urdu?
You speak of moving down to DR, does it mean alone or with your hubby? Are you still married?
I mean, it sounds very strange to see a woman married to a pakistani, willing to move down to DR alone. You see my point?

The only urdu I know is "ben chode" <sup>(sp?)</sup>. We always learn the nicest things first, don't we?
I know sometimes certain "Aunties" take advantage of this; one can sometimes tell when one is begin talked about, even if one doesn't understand the language! ;) <sub> I won't tell what the first "Dominican" words I learned were -- suffice it to say one should know better than to repeat strange words and phrases without knowing what they are!</sub>
(My husband doesn't speak urdu either, a by-product of growing up in a mixed family in Quebec I suppose.)
Yes, I am still married <sup>(are you making an offer? ;) )</sup>
My husband has a choice; he can come with me, or choose to stay at home. He's got just as much chance of finding work there as I do, maybe more.
Mind you, I'm not necessarily looking to move to the DR permanently forever. I'm looking for someplace I can have as a regular vacation destination <sub>(I'm damned sick of Florida)</sub>, perhaps take an extended vacation from my career for a year or so (am willing work in the DR to supplement my income if necessary), maybe buy a property I can rent out when I'm not using, and possibly live there part of the year when I finally manage to retire (oh, so many years from now).

So, now that I've told my life story.... you're turn :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Interesting urdu vacabulary.

Ummm, you seem like an interesting gal.
Check your e mail. I have sent you some info on myself.
see ya

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
jjsk....

Where abouts in Canada are you from? I'm in Toronto. Will be heading to the DR in Feb to be with Dominican husband. Renting an apt for about 2 mths. You're welcome to crash on the couch (if it has one) anytime. As for the plane ticket...hmmm....I will check on my frequent flyer points. If there'e enough for an extra ticket. It's yours!