Rip-off at Airports Cafeteria

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
I left Santo Domingo on a flight to the US. I decided to eat in a self served cafeteria, a slice of pizza, a cupcake and a juice. The cashier asked me a couple of questions and due to my limited spanish, I was not really able to answer him. He gave me a price of 280 pesos; I gave him a 500 pesos bill and gave me 20 pesos back. When he saw that I was somewhat surpised, he gave me another 100 pesos bill. It was very obvious that he was attempting to rip me off. I asked him for the receipt and went to sit at a table. The bill was for 7 US dollars, and even at a substantial exchange rate it still did not add up. As I was eating I saw a man coming out of the cafeteria' s office; I stopped him and effectively he told me that he was the Mgr. I asked him to calculate the rate I was to pay and I told him of what happened (thank God he spoke English). The casher ran to the rescue and spoke to the Mgr. who apologized and had the casher give me to right change back, and the cashier went right back to work. I don' t think he has been fired and makes me wonder if the Mgr. is up on it. So watch out for your change!:squareeye

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
A couple months ago, I bought a ham and cheese sandwich and a Red Bull at the airport. I gave the cashier RD$500. He gave me back 100 pesos. I stood there calculating and realized he'd charged me over $13.00. And just like your story, I saw the next person in line make the same purchase for U.S. $8.50 and knew I'd been ripped off. I had to mouth off to the manager that I had been cheated. Finally, they gave me another 100 pesos back, but I still was cheated short.

I've learned not to pay in pesos. Also, I had noticed in the times before when I would pay in pesos, I'd get dirty looks from the cashiers and it's the country's currency!!

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
Santo Domingo airport rip-off ?

A couple months ago, I bought a ham and cheese sandwich and a Red Bull at the airport. I gave the cashier RD$500. He gave me back 100 pesos. I stood there calculating and realized he'd charged me over $13.00. And just like your story, I saw the next person in line make the same purchase for U.S. $8.50 and knew I'd been ripped off. I had to mouth off to the manager that I had been cheated. Finally, they gave me another 100 pesos back, but I still was cheated short.

I've learned not to pay in pesos. Also, I had noticed in the times before when I would pay in pesos, I'd get dirty looks from the cashiers and it's the country's currency!!

Was is in the same cafeteria at SDQ?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I've figured that out too.....when in the airport it's better to buy booze and food with dollars.

A sandwich and a bottle of water runs about $7.00USD

By the way, las time I was in SDQ they had the AC turned OFF at 2pm.....talk about cheap

Feb 7, 2007
Well, I know that at Pizarelli at the arrivals hall downstairs at SDQ I could buy a large slice of pizza (cheese, ham or pepperoni) and soda for about 80 pesos. This was about 1 year ago, but it was the same promotion that I think is still valid in most Pizarelli locations today.

I don't know if that promotion is still valid at Pizarelli at SDQ (or whether Pizarelli still operates at SDQ) as I virtually don't use that airport.

Feb 7, 2007
I've figured that out too.....when in the airport it's better to buy booze and food with dollars.

Aren't the prices quoted in Pesos... that's the way I remember it. But I haven't used SDQ for a long time now... Last time I went to pick somebody up there was in January, at night, and I bought a large cafe late and RedBull, total was less than 150 pesos.

And if the prices are in dollars, ask beforehand on what the exchange rate into Pesos would be.

Oh... today in San Pedro, 2 coffees, 2 small beers (some new stuff by presidente called One), and 2 huge chicken sandwiches for a total of 170 pesos... So, as nowadays you bring your own food onboard, bring it to the airport as well... :)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
If I grab any food at sdq it is usually Burger King. The prices are posted. The quality is pretty good too.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
at the PC airport shown prices are in dollars and if you pay in pesos you get ripped by a very high exchange rate, i had that discussion on my last 2 trips, jan 2007 and sept 2006, because i awaited the opposite of it and brought just for the purchases at the PC airport pesos with me, at the end i paid in US dollars, been the better price.
Mike