S. Juan Mall Gringo Ripoff Attempt

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Locally, and if you are a resident ( as opposed to a tourist ) it does/should not happen.

I had a motoconcho ask me for double fare. Ok granted 50 instead of 25 is nothing to get into a fist fight over, but its the principle of the thing.
I took a risk and shouted over to the other motoconchos " quanto covre de aja a ahi ? "*
They all answered *" 25" *and started hollering at the guy.

My experience is that if the service/marchandise is something common, they wont risk trying to rip you off. ( 1 colmado in particular, has been regretting it for years ;) ;) ).
If you are out of your comfort zone or are buying something out of the common ( ie you are not sure of the price ) , send the wifey or a motoconcho.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
i do not know too many guys who produce a cedula to buy a rotisserie chicken...

I was at xochimilco, the last of the Aztec canal system, yesterday. Very few foreigners. *I was with a Mexican family. *The guy gave a price of 1000 pesos. *He said, I'm not a tourist, I live here. *He showed his cedula and we paid 750.*

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Ripping off foreigners is constitutionalized policy in DR, at all levels. I was just comparing prepaid mobile data plans at Claro, and if you buy a sim with a cedula you get cheaper data at certain tiers, e.g. 400 pesos for 1GB (locals) vs 650 pesos for 1GB (foreigners, i.e. used passport to buy a sim).

Jan 7, 2016
i do not know too many guys who produce a cedula to buy a rotisserie chicken...

The Cedula is always in my wallet...out it comes and the price goes down, even on gasoline purchases at Texaco. It's an easy solution to an age-old problem in the tourist areas (and probably most everywhere else here, for that matter). I keep track of every Peso that I spend here and last season I saved over 20,000 pesos with a Cedula.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Anytime someone attemps to charge me more than I should pay
I tell them I?m not a tourist, I live here. If this doesn?t work
I?ll ask them as loud as I can... Gringo paga mas? ...followed by a
few not so nice words.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I don't talk not one word just pretend to be a deaf mute . No need to pay extra just let the ole lady handle things.

highmarket

Jun 5, 2008
Im getting a taxi from the airport. *Is it safe to keep your luggage in the taxi, stop at super polla, and then avoid the extra fee for tourists? *This taxi is recommended from the real estate company. *Should I have the driver come in with me. How mch more do tourists pay anyway? *On 75 bucks worth or groceries and drinks is it worth the effort?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I am hard pressed to believe that big stores such as Pola and Plaza Lama have prices for tourists and prices for locals when normally going to pay. I would think this is more myth than fact.

It is always best to go to the hotel and leave one's belongings and valuables. And then take the taxi to go shopping.

Schedule a visit to Puntacana area for the Puntacana Foundation, Indigenous Eyes, La Yola Restaurant and visit the Supermercado Nacional there. No way they charge tourists differently at the cash register.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
asking someone not to rook you is not being whimsical....

let me give you a recent example. this girl i know was in town visiting some relatives in POP. last Friday, she called mt to ask me if i could spot her some money for her busfare back to Bani. i told her i could give her 500 pesos *toward it, but she had to come get it. she was in front of the public hospital in POP, a 30 peso ride from my apartment. i told her to get a motoconcho, and i would pay. she shows up, and the motoconcho says 100 pesos. i tell him i may be a foreigner, but that i have been coming to this country since the grand old days of Balaguer. i told him i have never paid more than 30 pesos for that ride. well, she chirps in that 100 is fair, bla bla bla. so, i give the concho guy the 100 pesos, and tell her to go get the busfare from him. that is how us Jamaican guys roll.

Or another way was to deduct $100 pesos you paid the motoconcho guy from the $500 pesos you were going to give her for bus fare.

She will think twice next time.

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
at least you walked away learning something most of us know. Dominicans have a siege mentality. it is them against the world. if you go hanging out with a bunch of Dominicans, and another Dominican comes up and wants to start some ish, the guys you think were your buds will help the other Dominican to kick your ass. similarly, if you go shopping with a Dominican, and he or she witnesses you being ripped off, they are not going to defend your pocket. they will help their fellow Dominican to rip you off, then beg you for money for a Samsun Galasi..

You need a better class of friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You need a better class of friends.

there seems to be no such thing here.

six weeks ago, i acquired a new pair of headphones. i decided that i would make a gift of one of my older pairs to a guy who is the son of one of the upper crust of Dominican society. the Bayardo peeps. the doctors, and lawyers, and business magnate types.

so, i take the guy a pair of Philips Fidelios and a pair of Beyerdynamic 990s. i tell him to listen to both, and keep the one he preferred. *he should leave the one he did not want at his father?s place of business, so i could pick it up.

let us just say that his lifelong friend told me , just yesterday, to abandon hope of seeing any of the phones again. he thinks he sold them both.

classy folks, these.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you want the "non-gringo" pricing on things, produce a Residency Card or Cedula...works 98% of the time here in Bavaro! NEVER pay in U.S. Dollars or Euros in Punta Cana/Bavaro...you'll get screwed twice, once on the price and again on the exchange rate!
If Alida is not with me, I also do this and say "Precio Dominicano, por favor..."

If they don't drop the price, I just move on.

I've also had locals come to my aid if the vendor is trying to pull a fast one, telling the vendor to give me the same price as a local.

Word of not being a pendejo travels quickly.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Give me gringo price and I walk. Case closed. First week in bella vista the mall taxistas charged me double to get to conde. To rip me off 200 pesos they lost 200,000

Apr 7, 2014
The point is they've helped not because I've asked them, but I've treated them with respect and earned theirs in return. Your example makes my point, where the young lady tries to shake you down for bus money because she doesn't respect you.
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
there seems to be no such thing here.

six weeks ago, i acquired a new pair of headphones. i decided that i would make a gift of one of my older pairs to a guy who is the son of one of the upper crust of Dominican society. the Bayardo peeps. the doctors, and lawyers, and business magnate types.

so, i take the guy a pair of Philips Fidelios and a pair of Beyerdynamic 990s. i tell him to listen to both, and keep the one he preferred. *he should leave the one he did not want at his father?s place of business, so i could pick it up.

let us just say that his lifelong friend told me , just yesterday, to abandon hope of seeing any of the phones again. he thinks he sold them both.

classy folks, these.

If he was really upper crust, he doesn't want used headphones.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If he was really upper crust, he doesn't want used headphones.

stick to what you know about. it is obvious that you know nothing about that subject...

to you, a headphone is something you buy in La Sirena for 400 pesos. i am talking about real cans.