Sahara dust on the way to DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a large tree in my backyard which if it isn't dropping leaves, is dropping small flowers, pollen and then little useless yellow/orange fruits. I wish it would get struck by lightening and burn - that's for a different post. This tree sheds a lot of pollen. Doesn't seem to affect me much, unlike in SD where I can begin sniffling shortly after getting off the bus.

Back home for me, it's the ragweed, golden rod and the grasses. Grass is different here and I haven't seen any of the other two.

Back to the dust... The high altitude dust creates favorable conditions for the formation of an inversion lawyer which traps the pollution from industry, vehicles and fires creating smog. From this can come high levels of ozone which irritates the throat, lungs and eyes. The haziness one sees when looking at things off in the distance, especially after the early morning hours, is not fog but smog. This inversion layer also makes it difficult for rain clouds to form thus preventing the cleaning of the air. A strong transient low pressure system is needed to sweep it all away but with a stream of new dust on the way, any reprieve will be short lived until the dust ends.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Is this Sahara dust still arriving here in the DR? Quick google search turns up nothing.

There is dirt everywhere and the air in Punta Cana looks dense. And as someone said, the cars are covered with dust and when the usual light rain comes at night, it turns it to a thin layer of mud.

Also, windy every day, so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe it is just sand from the beach.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Ceaseless

Is this Sahara dust still arriving here in the DR? Quick google search turns up nothing.

There is dirt everywhere and the air in Punta Cana looks dense. And as someone said, the cars are covered with dust and when the usual light rain comes at night, it turns it to a thin layer of mud.

Also, windy every day, so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe it is just sand from the beach.

Depends on where you observe the dust. The dust is most probably the cement, sand, and dirt particles whipped up by the ceaseless wind from the many mines, construction sites, unmaintained properties, and public ways of the area

Regards,

PJT

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Depends on where you observe the dust. The dust is most probably the cement, sand, and dirt particles whipped up by the ceaseless wind from the many mines, construction sites, unmaintained properties, and public ways of the area

Regards,

PJT

Right. The ceaseless wind at the moment. Days of it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Regards,

PJT

Correct you are.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I live 60 meters from the sea and have not able to roll up my wind screens in over 3 weeks. I still have to wash my patio floor and furniture every day as the dust and grime that still makes it onto my patio is disgusting. I haven't been able to wash the screens down as the wind is so strong that the sand sticks faster than I can wash it.
The joys of living on the front line at the beach. Anyone know when the wind will settle down.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
No kidding. We are away from the beach, so we don't get the salt spray. And marks. But, the dust is bad right now. I think the evidence points to the wind. Three weeks you say. About right. But, the last few days, especially today there has been stronger wind for more hours.