Sankies

Foreign women love sankies because

• They are feminists who feel they have a right to buy sex

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • They are actually searching for "love"

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • They are plain stupid, especially if they actually fall in love with a sankie

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Don't get much action at home, the extra attention during vacation is too tempting to ignore

Votes: 52 62.7%
  • Women don't feel they visited the DR unless they have been "sankified"

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
The whole thing doesn't make sense, specially coming from a man who has no clue about the subject...

And it only serves to ridiculize posters, or mis-inform new ones that might not even be aware of what a 'sankie' is...

When you are trying to put people down in any way, shape or form, that is not 'humor'...

If you want humor, go post in the Clown Bin...

MQ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well,

I can see some people are taking things way too seriously.

Regardless of the "controversy", fifty people still had the urge to cast their vote on such a "silly" poll.

Additionally, over the course of one weekend, over 800 visits this very same "silly" poll has attracted.

Next time, I'll post a disclaimer for the critics, even if its a highly visited "silly" post which managed to get an average of 400 visits over two days! :cheeky: ;)

-NALs

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Don't try to defend yourself now saying that this was just a 'silly' post...you very well know you did it to offend some people...but got dissed in the way...and now want to change your tune...

Take it like the man you are...You were wrong... admit it!!

MQ

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Nals- no flattery please-

The only reason why the poll received so many hits is because of the comments that ensued not because the poll was of any value.

Now instead of brushing it off explain what the purpose of the poll is?

Normally polls serve to inform and then provide a solution based on the results. Not to insult.

Those who see this poll as amusing is it safe to say the male version is to follow?

Again women are the target of ridicule in this forum and it's shame that people fail to realize it.

I fully agree with MQ's last two posts.

-LDG.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I agree.......

I agree with you ladies, women do get picked upon a lot especially with all this sankie stuff!!

Nals the women are waiting hmmmm..........................

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rellosk said:
I thought only Moderators could start a poll.

Unless I change an individuals users permissions so they can post polls.
Nal's is your new poll master, enjoy!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Musicqueen said:
Don't try to defend yourself now saying that this was just a 'silly' post...you very well know you did it to offend some people...
MQ
MQ,

From what I have seen and evaluated from your DR1 posts, I like you. I never have had any problems with you and I only have nice things to say about you and nice things to say to you, as I have done in the past via PMs (which btw, a PM from me says more about who I really am than does any single post on the public threads). However, I will say the following thing and please, don't get offended because aside from the follwing sentence, the rest is really geared to all DR1ers and not you per se.

That is something you don't know.

The only way a person would know that is if they know me as a person. DR1ers know me by the things I have posted which hardly ever resembles the real me as my perceptions of all other DR1ers will not 100% represents the way they are in person.

A particular DR1er who will remain nameless once PM me and told me something I have not forgotten: "Some of the DR1 members appear greater than they actually are on this board, once you meet them in person they don't live up to the expectation."

Words to remember prior to making such statement.

Having said all of this, can you prove that I intentionally meant to insult some people? If so, please enlighten me how did you came to such conclusion. If not, please enlighten me how you came with what has been quoted from you on this post.

How would you had reacted to this post if it would have been made by AZB? Miguel? Robert?

Who says what is more important than what is said? If so, why would a person respond to someone they don't know than to the words they do know such person posted?

-NALs

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MQ, is that picked on or preyed on?

"Again women are the target of ridicule in this forum and it's shame that people fail to realize it."
Why do you think that is?

For the newbies amongst us.
Written by a man and by far the most accurate article on sankies to date.

http://www.dr1.com/articles/sankies.shtml

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lesley D said:
The only reason why the poll received so many hits is because of the comments that ensued not because the poll was of any value.

Now instead of brushing it off explain what the purpose of the poll is?

Normally polls serve to inform and then provide a solution based on the results. Not to insult.

Those who see this poll as amusing is it safe to say the male version is to follow?

I fully agree with MQ's last two posts.

-LDG.
1. This post certainly met it's goal, which was to get people to share their opinions based on a confidential vote.

2. The purpose of the poll is to give people a chance to vote on this subject and see where they stand in comparison to other DR1ers.

3. Normally polls are based to inform and provide a solution. Sometimes, polls are made to see where a person is in regards to his/her opinions vs those of his/her peers or in this case DR1 members. And some other times, polls are done just for fun.

NEVER are polls done to insult. As for why some people got insulted, I can only speculate it has to do with the way they equate the screenname NALs, which creates some sort of feeling or expectation in the mind of the person prior to them reading what I had to say. Such thing helps a person take such poll and get insulted and/or regard it as unfavorable based on the speculative expectation if they have a negative expectation or feeling prior to reading what I have posted vs what has actually been said by me on the poll itself.

Under such circumstances, people will see this post in the manner it was not meant to be seen and in the end, I end up being the "evil" one, if you will. Many people on this forum have a tendency to respond to me rather than to what I have said, I'm used to this by now but it would be nice if people would simply respond to what I say and not to who they think I am and/or what they think my motives are. 9 out of 10 times, the average DR1er is completely wrong in their assumptions.

4. I was going to create a male version, but if people are this sensitive to anything I have to say (or sensitive to me) than I will stay clear from such thing, unless of course anyone wants me to do such thing. If so, PM me with that or any other suggestion for a poll.

Lesley D said:
Again women are the target of ridicule in this forum and it's shame that people fail to realize it.
This was not an attempt to ridicule all women, but it says alot about how people react to this particular subject, depending on who says it.

Other members on this board have said much worst things, perhaps even intentionally, and I seldom have witness them go through such "treatment".

-NALs

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
Indeed.

And on the occasion of my 1,000th post I would like to reiterate one thing....

Nals is a moron.

I'm glad we could share this moment together.

Nals, I hope you're watching.

Scandall
I think you ought to schedule Nals for the first Mangu Minute live interview. That would be entertaining.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rellosk said:
Talk about target advertising. That page has the following advertisers:

• Western Union
  • Match.com
  • A HIV Home Testing Kit
  • Calling cards
  • Online Spanish lessons

;) We try our best.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
NALs said:

Other members on this board have said much worst things, perhaps even intentionally, and I seldom have witness them go through such "treatment".

-NALs

I think that I have to agree with you on that one and at times, some of the women have even joined in the 'amusement' but no one seemed to mind or discourage it.

The fact is that it is a poll, perhaps the choices are not properly skewed or may sound insensitive but at the end of the day it is still a poll and not directed at any specific person.

Personally, I think this whole sankie issue has been overblown out of proportion and I wonder why all the scare tactics. If all female tourists that went to the DR knew about sankies, I think that it would take a lot of the fun out of the vacation for many, particularly for women that have met and married dominican men and are actually happy. Yes because if these women knew about sankies, they would probably have had their guards up so high and would probably never have given the guy the light of day. So some good can come out from your ignorance about sankies.

Women and Men play each other every day in all over the world and unless you are a psychic, there are no guarantees in life anywhere in the world. Once awhile risks have to be taken to find what you are looking for.

Some people will learn the hard way, some will just never learn and some will miss out on something good.

Peace

Sholly

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Sholly24 said:
Personally, I think this whole sankie issue has been overblown out of proportion and I wonder why all the scare tactics. If all female tourists that went to the DR knew about sankies, I think that it would take a lot of the fun out of the vacation for many, particularly for women that have met and married dominican men and are actually happy. Yes because if these women knew about sankies, they would probably have had their guards up so high and would probably never have given the guy the light of day. So some good can come out from your ignorance about sankies.

you're kidding right

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
Originally Posted by Sholly24

audrav said:
you're kidding right

Audrav, I second that sentiment. Sholly, those are some ridiculous statements to make...this is a big issue. In fact, I almost think it's becoming an "epidemic". It's sad really. Have you not read through all the threads/stories in this forum? Some of these women suffer through tremendous emotional trauma...and not to mention the financial setbacks that result in these relationships. I don't know anyone who would ever want to be taken advantage of? I think it's great that we have all these sources to get all this info so everyone can get educated...if you go to the DR with all these facts and still want to get involved with someone and take your chances, then that would be a different story...I'm sure many of these women wished they knew what a sankie was before they got involved.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sholly24 said:
Personally, I think this whole sankie issue has been overblown out of proportion and I wonder why all the scare tactics. If all female tourists that went to the DR knew about sankies, I think that it would take a lot of the fun out of the vacation for many, particularly for women that have met and married dominican men and are actually happy.
Sholly

Sholly you may be confused on some of the terms. You are lumping sankies together with resort workers and Dominican men.

We heard last week that many have married resort workers that have turned out to be good spouses and we know that many have married Dominican men that have turned out to be good spouses but please don't let those two groups get mixed up with the term " SANKIE"

A Sankie is a gigolo. It's fine if women are aware of it and go ahead and have fun. It's their life we don't care. What we are all against is guys that are trying to con these naive girls into beleiving that they are in love with them and that she is his one and only.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
NALs said:
As for why some people got insulted, I can only speculate it has to do with the way they equate the screenname NALs, which creates some sort of feeling or expectation in the mind of the person prior to them reading what I had to say.
What Scandall said .... Scandall, do me a favor and say it again, please. You do it so well!

Robert said:
MQ, is that picked on or preyed on?

"Again women are the target of ridicule in this forum and it's shame that people fail to realize it."
Why do you think that is?
(Bolding mine)... Why do you think we are speaking up and speaking out on this one ;) So as not to be tarred with that particular brush! And the questions in this poll are doing just that.

Robert said:
For the newbies amongst us.
Written by a man and by far the most accurate article on sankies to date.

http://www.dr1.com/articles/sankies.shtml
And nothing wrong with this article . The problem is not who wrote the poll Robert, the problem is what it said ...

In this case, and imho the controversy value is not worth it. Especially as Nals could have had the same results without alienating the wonderful, intelligent and valuable women who post on this board. And believe me, he did just that.

The tragedy is that he does not know it and persists in defending the indefensible.

Ladies, I don't know about you, but for me, I'll keep on talking. Don't let your voices go silent ...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wendy A. said:
In fact, I almost think it's becoming an "epidemic". It's sad really.

There's no epidemic Wendy. I've been on DR1 since 1999 and it's no worse now. There's sankie season which runs from a few reporting after a fall trip, then Christmas trips and then it's hell ( I mean busy) from Jan. to after semana santa.

Then members start saying, what happend? Did we scare them away? Did we cure them all? But no it's just low season and year after year it's the same thing. No epidemic dear ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.