Sending Dominican Troops to Iraq . . . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: AZB, I wish you could PM all of us what you said.

ltsnyder said:
AZB, I suspect what you wrote, was disliked by the moderator more than it was off topic, Facist attitudes crop up in the strangest places (even in lemons ;) ). Let's all pray for the DR troops :paranoid:

This comment is truly in bad taste and totally erronous and way off the mark to boot. This kind of 'sly' poking at others with little smily faces makes me sick!

Pib did exactly the right thing. AZB's post had no DR content whatsoever and it does not belong on this forum. It had other worthwhile content -and I found the approach interesting. Because I expected Pib to cut it, I copied it. If you want it back AZB, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: What all deleted?

[B]AZB[/B] said:
OOOOOHHHHHH PIB, I really hate you. I would really love to squeeze your head like a lemon.
I will live in fear.

[B]ltsnyder[/B] said:
One more note, the Dominican troops if I'm right have no body armor unlike US troops who all are equiped with full body armor.
So it's kind of like replaceing tin soldiers with meat puppets.
And how do you know that? I am not saying it isn't true, just want to know if you have any basis to state that. I would like to have some facts before I go frothing at the mouth over the actions of the Northern Imperialist MonsterTM ;)

[B]ltsnyder[/B] said:
AZB, I suspect what you wrote, was disliked by the moderator more than it was off topic, Facist attitudes crop up in the strangest places (even in lemons ).
You are wrong. Thanks for participating. Here is your toaster.

Last edited:

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
deleted post..

I read it, and it was neither related to DR nor anywhere else in
the real world. :) Recommended reading along the same lines is
a book called "Target Islam". Great stuff.

I'm a bit sceptical to that hole thing, though I'll really struggle to
keep it DR related myself.. :) Deluding oneself with this
"WaHNGH!!!...." *Holds hands over mouth*.

Threats will come from a number of sources, there's a fair few
Iraqi soldiers who recently lost their jobs and income ( but not
their weapons ). Its a common problem, known from similar,
previous operations.

Americans wear body armour but they are the ones
getting killed. Other nations often go without as they believe
a softer approach will cause less resistance. I.e. knock on the
door before kicking it in.

I think it's positive that the Dominican Republic, for whichever
reason, sends troops abroad. I suppose it might indicate
willingness to take part in international affairs, and can maybe
create more awareness about the rest of the world in the DR.
A long shot and naive maybe, but if it stops people from shouting
Taliban after me when there, then something good has come out
of it. I don't know if the Dominican Republic has had a history of
engaging in international politics beyond the immediate region,
or has much experience from similar operations. It should be a
reason to some sort of national pride and they should be
supported while there.

The troops should be fairly safe though losses shouldn't come as
a surprise to anyone. The Danish troops are there for the same
reason and they have been involved in incidents and lost people.
It's part of the job, hopefully they'll also do a respectable one.
Having soldiers doing civilian duties and dealing with civilians
can be tricky, especially if one operates in a country with a
different culture and language. Misunderstandings can arise
easily, and if all you've got to sort them out is a machinegun and
tons of ammunition then that's a bit dodgy. Mean looking
Dominican commandos might not be what Iraq needs. On the
hole I'd mostly agree with ltssnyder. :)

I didn't get this padlocked, did I? :) Humble apologies if so. :)

Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by Porfio_Rubirosa
You never know, Troop Quisqueya might be called on to bail the US out. Wasn't it Malaysian APCs that eventually rescued the illfated "Blackhawk Down" Somalia group?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Escott said:

Sorry, but I can't stand being told I'm wrong - even when I am wrong - which is not the case here.

According to AFP:

"The truth, said the former commander, was that the Americans were saved by a rescue force of 113 Malaysian troops deployed in 32 Condor armored personnel carriers after two Black Hawk helicopters were shot down in Mogadishu."

One Malaysian was killed in the operation.

See http://www.arabia.com/life/article/english/0,11827,127616,00.html for the story.

So my point stands: Life could be a box of chocolates for Troop Quisqueya.

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Re: deleted post..

Arve said:
I read it, and it was neither related to DR nor anywhere else in
the real world. :) Recommended reading along the same lines is
a book called "Target Islam". Great stuff.

Actually Arve you are totally wrong, AZB's post was right on the mark, and if you want too, I'll argue it point by point. The reason you won't argue it, is because you know your wrong, and the only way you know you can control the discussion is by distroying it (look deep in the mirror, who do you see?).

Americans wear body armour but they are the ones
getting killed. Other nations often go without as they believe
a softer approach will cause less resistance. I.e. knock on the
door before kicking it in.

Pib there is your answer to the body armor question, if you disagree, ask Arve for the source.

Hey, any of you feeling blue? Burn a book today that you don't like what it says, you'll feel better almost immediately.

Arve - a proud participant in any occasional book burning.

"Join a book burning today, and feel proud again"

-Lee

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Why are you so insecure?

Anyone you disagree with, you call names. You don't say the idea is stupid, you call the person stupid. You call them fascists, book-burning participants, etc. Why is that? I realize that when you don't have anything of substance to add, that's usually about all that's left to do. But if you can't add anything, try just not posting.

Remember these? You still never answered even one:
Why is it a mistake? Why do Dominicans have anything less at stake here in the world than anyone else? Why is it that you believe the UN works for peace? The UN works for consensus. Is peace advanced by having Libya and Cuba heading the humans rights conferences of the UN? Was peace advanced by promoting Saddam Hussein and the Iranian governments as heads of the UN conference on WMD and disarmament?
By the way, the number of Dominicans who died in the WTC attacks, at 47, is higher as a percentage of the population than the number of Americans who died. You never answered or acknowledged that either. But then again, reality is a difficult concept when viewed through liberal beer goggles.

Tom (aka XR)

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
I'll be brief and shut up afterwards. :)

ltsnyder said:
Actually Arve you are totally wrong, AZB's post was right on the mark, and if you want too, I'll argue it point by point. The reason you won't argue it, is because you know your wrong, and the only way you know you can control the discussion is by distroying it (look deep in the mirror, who do you see?).

Pib there is your answer to the body armor question, if you disagree, ask Arve for the source.

Hey, any of you feeling blue? Burn a book today that you don't like what it says, you'll feel better almost immediately.

Arve - a proud participant in any occasional book burning.

"Join a book burning today, and feel proud again"

-Lee

If I'm wrong, I'll more or less gracefully stand corrected. :)

The main reason I didn't want to argue is because this is not the
time or place. You'll be most welcome to email me whenever you
feel like it though.

As it is, I can source the body armour question if you like. Or you
can look no further than to the British forces in Iraq. ( Or the
Norwegians, or the Danes or.. Such behaviour is built on
experiences from UN peacekeeping missions, in the British
case, also from Northern Ireland. Whether it is sensible or not is
another question.

Funnily enough, I will actually take part in a book burning today.
In less than two hours my dissertation will be in ( it's crap ), and
I will along with my friends burn all notes/books purchased
during the year, while we get mindlessly drunk and act silly.

gallorojo

Intelligence is not one, of my strong points., Bu
Sep 5, 2003
Dominican troops have no right to aid the rape and occupation of Iraq, on the continent, only the most corrupt right wing banana republics support Bush. We are to die for the Yanks, and they throw us some spare change and give us a pat on the head. Instead we should be joining the ranks of Venezuela, Brazil, Mexico, Cuba and "just say no" to the Yanks. Latin American unity and cooperation can get rid of Yank imperialism on the continent in a single stroke!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Just so I understand ...

So it's perfectly OK to occupy the country, rape, pillage, and plunder the population as long as your from somewhere nearby? Right? Killing a city the size of Sosua with nerve agent or 2-3 million children under the age of 15 with chemicals in a war that lasts 8 years and kills more people than Hitler in WWII, still not a problem as long as it's your own people you use for canon fodder.

Got it.

Thank you Che. Didn't know you were a DR1'er. Welcome to the board.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry XR, but please tell the whole truth.
Poisonous gas was supplied to iraq by the good ol Americans in 1986 to use it against Iranians. Then when Iraq used the same gas to kill kurds (who tried to over throw sadam) americans watched and let it happen when they could have prevented the massacre. Americans had the air superiority. they watched this happened and now using it against sadam. So where do you stop the blame of the killings?
Oh, by the way, Turks kill kurds on routine basis but thats ok, they are american friends.
Please, no more CNN crap on dr1, we all watch this channel and we all know what they report, too bad many don't know what they don't report.
Americans must get out of Iraq and protect their own interests (save the lives of poor soldiers). By the way, a bulk of the front line soldiers are latinos and many are not even US citizens. Now the poor dominicans are dragged in to this mess.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
AZB my friend that can be debated endlessly. I have always maintained that the problem with Iraq wasn't the weapons it was the complete inhibition against using them. That hold true anywhere in the world. The United States did not sell those materials, per se, they lifted restrictions against the importation of the precursors then in place against Iraq and stood idly by while he did just that. I would add though that nothing that happened during the cold war between the United States and the Soviet Union can be viewed in the light of 2003, 11 years after the collapse of the Soviets. It was a very different world then, growing up talking in grade school about where the Russians would drop a bomb over the Mississippi in your town during the Yom Kipur war for example. Both sides took allies where they could find them.

As to the makeup of the armed forces, yes many Dominicans are there. It is, unlike Pakistan or India or most other places in the world, an all volunteer army. No conscripts. You sign up, you know the job description includes potentially shooting at folks and having them shoot back at you. No sympathy from me there.

As to the DR being dragged into this mess, well fine. 47 Dominican's also died in the WTC attacks. I explained before I don't want to cover my pool here from radioactive fallout because everyone looked the other way. This is not a US problem. It is a problem the entire civilized world faces and someone, somewhere, better everyone everywhere face up to that fact and clean out the tyrants before you're the next target and there's no one left on Earth to help you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Originally posted by Porfio_Rubirosa
You never know, Troop Quisqueya might be called on to bail the US out. Wasn't it Malaysian APCs that eventually rescued the illfated "Blackhawk Down" Somalia group?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but I can't stand being told I'm wrong - even when I am wrong - which is not the case here.

According to AFP:

"The truth, said the former commander, was that the Americans were saved by a rescue force of 113 Malaysian troops deployed in 32 Condor armored personnel carriers after two Black Hawk helicopters were shot down in Mogadishu."

One Malaysian was killed in the operation.

See http://www.arabia.com/life/article/english/0,11827,127616,00.html for the story.

So my point stands: Life could be a box of chocolates for Troop Quisqueya.
A Black Hawk pilot is shot down and besieged by an angry mob, then saved by Somalis who plan to ransom him to the local warlord. .

Hows that?

Status
Not open for further replies.