SERVICE DOG

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
I fully agree....My question was What are the laws here?>>>
My Brother uses one in the USA and I am very familiar with the Laws and Regulations.
Does anyone know the Rules and Regulations for service dogs in this Country specifically
Perhaps another question is how people will treat the service dog irrespective of the law. Life in the DR is a lot about how people live versus strict interpretation of how the laws are written.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Does anyone know the Rules and Regulations for service dogs in this Country specifically

Thank you.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
no things have not changed. An emotional service dog (or any other animal for that matter) is still considered a scam.
Technically the term service dogs support what the op is saying. Emotional support dogs, chickens, pigs, mini horses, and any other animal you can think of are a invention from the Karen's and Kevin's of the world. These people can't find their own butt with two hands and a large mirror and cry for weeks on end when someone says no to them, thus tye emotional support animal

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Perhaps another question is how people will treat the service dog irrespective of the law. Life in the DR is a lot about how people live versus strict interpretation of how the laws are written.
Not in this case...it is a question of legality due to possible eviction-forced sale.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Technically the term service dogs support what the op is saying. Emotional support dogs, chickens, pigs, mini horses, and any other animal you can think of are a invention from the Karen's and Kevin's of the world. These people can't find their own butt with two hands and a large mirror and cry for weeks on end when someone says no to them, thus tye emotional support animal.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Technically the term service dogs support what the op is saying. Emotional support dogs, chickens, pigs, mini horses, and any other animal you can think of are a invention from the Karen's and Kevin's of the world. These people can't find their own butt with two hands and a large mirror and cry for weeks on end when someone says no to them, thus tye emotional support animal
Service Dog is with me for a while now ...due to encroaching blindness.....

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Sorry to hear about your eyesight. I have known several people with service dogs and I think they are an incredible and very essential part of people's lives that rely on them.
Emotional support animal people are a disgrace to service dogs and their owners in my opinion

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
First and foremost it is important to note that the terms service dog and emotional support dog are being bandied about as though they are some kind of equivalence.
They are not.
Examples of service dogs:
  • Guide Dogs for the Blind
  • Hearing Dogs
  • Diabetic Alert Dogs
  • Seizure Alert Dogs
  • PTSD Dogs
  • Wheelchair Assistance Dogs as
  • Dogs to help children with Autism
In my opinion it is grossly unfair to smear the valuable services provided by these animals by comparing them to emotional support dogs.
As far as emotional support dogs go...let's just say that images of Paris Hilton and/or Reece Witherspoon and their pet chihuahuas spring to mind.

potus...
If you are going to require the services of a guide dog, Arsen will need to receive the proper and accredited training.
As far as emotional support dogs go, well... let's just say images of Paris Hilton or Reece Witherspoon in Legally Blonde come to mind.

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Not in this case...it is a question of legality due to possible eviction-forced sale.
Then I would involve a lawyer you have dealt with before. The legal system in DR is not civil law not common law, and is paperwork heavy with what common law country people (USA/Canada/UK) would find mixing civil law with criminal law.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
First and foremost it is important to note that the terms service dog and emotional support dog are being bandied about as though they are some kind of equivalence.
They are not.
  • Hearing Dogs
  • Diabetic Alert Dogs
  • Seizure Alert Dogs
  • PTSD Dogs
In my opinion it is grossly unfair to smear the valuable services provided by these animals by comparing them to emotional support dogs.
As far as emotional support dogs go...let's just say that images of Paris Hilton and/or Reece Witherspoon and their pet chihuahuas spring to mind.

potus...
If you are going to require the services of a guide dog, Arsen will need to receive the proper and accredited training.
As far as emotional support dogs go, well... let's just say images of Paris Hilton or Reece Witherspoon in Legally Blonde come to mind.
clearly guide service dogs for the blind or visually impaired is acceptable. The problem with the other reasons for a service dog are the multiple scam diagnoses. " I am suffering from PTSD because my husband\wife dumped me. I am obese and need a pet to finish off my food. I am having a seizure because I need a drink or a fix" and the wheelchair assistance dog, I am not even sure what that scam is. We all know the majority of these scams are just an excuse to bring a pet into a restaurant or on airplane. I am glad it's not embraced here.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
clearly guide service dogs for the blind or visually impaired is acceptable. The problem with the other reasons for a service dog are the multiple scam diagnoses. " I am suffering from PTSD because my husband\wife dumped me. I am obese and need a pet to finish off my food. I am having a seizure because I need a drink or a fix" and the wheelchair assistance dog, I am not even sure what that scam is. We all know the majority of these scams are just an excuse to bring a pet into a restaurant or on airplane. I am glad it's not embraced here.
I get it.
It's the old... damn the many for the actions of a few rotten apples.
I prefer to save my disdain for the 'emotional support' crowd.
When it comes to that bunch I could easily find myself agreeing with you.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I get it.
It's the old... damn the many for the actions of a few rotten apples.
I prefer to save my disdain for the 'emotional support' crowd.
When it comes to that bunch I could easily find myself agreeing with you.
obesity is now the new fashionable disability, hence my apprehensive opinion with "diabetic" alert dogs. I am aware of the disease but very skeptical of the application of a dog to someone that just needs to consume less calories. Hearing dogs, scam. Wheelchair dog, scam. If people want pets, great, just don't bring them into restaurants, planes, museums and shopping venues.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Potus...you're the member that made various videos while driving around the DR Right? And you tried growing tomatoes plants on the balcony and I offered to help. How did those plants turn out.? Sorry to hear they'r trying to boot you. Que paso.? .....didn't they like your tomatoes plants?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
obesity is now the new fashionable disability, hence my apprehensive opinion with "diabetic" alert dogs. I am aware of the disease but very skeptical of the application of a dog to someone that just needs to consume less calories. Hearing dogs, scam. Wheelchair dog, scam. If people want pets, great, just don't bring them into restaurants, planes, museums and shopping venues.
The thing is...
A true service dog is not a pet.
He is a working animal.
He is providing a valuable service for which he has been trained.
It is probably difficult for those of us who are not in need to truly appreciate what they do.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
so Diabetics just need to consume less calories..........thankyou for this information Dr. Big

potus

Dec 27, 2015
They are not.
  • Hearing Dogs
  • Diabetic Alert Dogs
  • Seizure Alert Dogs
  • PTSD Dogs

potus...
Arsen is fully trained and certified by International organization...that was one of the reasons we became friends.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Potus...you're the member that made various videos while driving around the DR Right? And you tried growing tomatoes plants on the balcony and I offered to help. How did those plants turn out.? Sorry to hear they'r trying to boot you. Que paso.? .....didn't they like your tomatoes plants?
Plants are a great joy and success...will upload another video soon...