Social Conditioning of Dominicans through History?? What Do You Think??

Status
Not open for further replies.

caribNY

Jun 20, 2010
- Highly successful blacks (and there are many) concentrate in and reach their positions via politics, the military or foreign sources (ie. baseball). Very few make it in business, I don't know why although I do know that few blacks ever even try to develop big businesses. .

Thanks for your response. I learnt a lot.

I find it interesting that, despite the DR not having had that wealthy white plantocracy that say Barbados, Jamaica and even Trinidad had there is still evidence of whites having advantages, especially in the commercial sectors.

Despite also not having the slave traditions of these islands mentioned, which definitely hobbled the ability of the black populations there to move foward until the 1940s. The skin color game being very explicit and a definite barrier until at least the 1960s. The private sector almost totally blocked until then.

And of course the DR has some of the oldest universities in the Americas so upward mobility into the professions and management should not have been that difficult for a broad swathe of the population. Assuming of course that such education wasnt more available to the lighter phenotypes.

Interesting that engineering and technology are often easier for people from outside groups to penetrate than banking or law because one's ability to succeed is less defined by one's social networks (accepted by the elites so able to drum up new business from them) and more by one's individual ability to get the job done. You report that it is in these sectors where darker persons more likely succeed unlike banking, law etc where access to "movers and shakers" is more critical.

I also see that, as in the USA, upward mobility for darker people seems almost confined to the military, sports and the public sector. Despite a lack of specific insitutionalized racism directed towards the darker populations.

Now why in your large corporate sector (Banking or law as an example) do you report an under representation of blacks and darker mulattos? Upward mobility in these sectors is available through education so lack of wealth should limit such access and the pay is better than govt I am sure. Unless those who OWN those corporations play favorites based on phenotype.

In the US blacks are reasonably represented in the corporate sector in fact even a few of the largest corporations have or have had black CEOs. Xerox, Maytag, Fannie Mae, Merrill Lynch, American Express being examples. I see some daily on MSNBC, Bloomberg etc reporting and analyzing the security markets. We all know about Oprah. Noting of course that the black/dark mulatto populations in the USA are a scant 12%. In the DR maybe 50%. I dont know. We all know what the USA was until recently.

What I will say is that countries where black mobility is heavily defined by the public sectors are almost always places where racism is/was a factor preventing their access to the more lucrative private sector forcing them to focus on jobs in govt.

Your thoughts?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are no major ethnic identities among the Dominican population, if anything, the sub-cultures are fixed along socioeconomic class. Haitians are a distinct minority group within Dominican society with their own cultural aspects that, for the most part, are not practiced by the vast majority of Dominicans.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are no major ethnic identities among the Dominican population, if anything, the sub-cultures are fixed along socioeconomic class. Haitians are a distinct minority group within Dominican society with their own cultural aspects that, for the most part, are not practiced by the vast majority of Dominicans.

The food, the music, the language, etc. is all the same across racial/color groups; the slight modifications occurs on socioeconomic levels. Upper class Dominicans act and live differently from lower class Dominicans, however one can't say that black Dominicans, mulatto Dominicans and white Dominicans each have separate cultures or identities. Such thing doesn't exist.

caribNY

Jun 20, 2010
You have a strange sense of humour. Maybe you need to go troll somewhere else. You also don't read very well. No where have I said that there are no separate ethnic identities within the DR. What would I know, I 'm only married to and live daily with Dominicans. I guess you have all the answers.

Maybe answering my questions or saying that you dont have answers would do you better. NAL answered. Made good points. Why dont you? Instead of enraging yourself especially as you say that you arent Dominican so apparently lack the insights that say NAL has.

I also wonder where did I make ANY assertions about the DR. YOU have. I havent. NAL is revealing that there may well be issues based on phenotype worthy of greater exploration.

caribNY

Jun 20, 2010

The food, the music, the language, etc. is all the same across racial/color groups; the slight modifications occurs on socioeconomic levels. Upper class Dominicans act and live differently from lower class Dominicans, however one can't say that black Dominicans, mulatto Dominicans and white Dominicans each have separate cultures or identities. Such thing doesn't exist.

So why do people of differing phenotypes, based on your response, find themselves in different socio-economic spaces. Given that mulato is a broad term and encompasses a wide range of phenotypes lets think of people who look like Sammy Sosa.

As you said there arent any ethnic identities therefore they shouldnt be pathologies located among a particular phenotype. I am also aware that your history is different from the nonHispanic Caribbean islands. So that you lacked that historic dichotomy of a small and wealthy and paranoid white planter class, surrounded by masses of ex-slaves with very specific different identities and cultures, whose upward mobility had to be curbed. Yet there seem to be similarities in outcome. Not to the same polarized degree but recognizeable.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe answering my questions or saying that you dont have answers would do you better. NAL answered. Made good points. Why dont you? Instead of enraging yourself especially as you say that you arent Dominican so apparently lack the insights that say NAL has.

I also wonder where did I make ANY assertions about the DR. YOU have. I havent. NAL is revealing that there may well be issues based on phenotype worthy of greater exploration.

So many words, so little said.

caribNY

Jun 20, 2010
Has anyone ever asked themselves these questions?

Well this may be why, the English were a bit harsh on there views regarding race, they had the one drop rule, we all know what that means, .

Actually the English didnt have the one drop rule and neither did the USA until after the Civil War when for reasons of political control it was introduced.

Most of the ex British islands have had (some still have) a well entrenched upper middle class called "brown" or "red" and certainly not considered black, unless they so chose to be...which some do by the way....some of the time when it suits them.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Article by Kiini Ibura Salaam.

There's No Racism Here?

A Black Woman in the Dominican Republic

By Kiini Ibura Salaam

When I first returned home from studying abroad, everyone wanted to know, "How was the Dominican Republic?" I was reluctant to respond. Masking the truth behind "fine's" and "good's," I skirted my real feelings. "Did you like it?" is such a loaded question that it can't be answered with a simple "yes" or "no." For a long time, I refused to talk about the Dominican Republic at all. I wanted to spend neither the time nor the energy to reach into my soul and give honest answers to the inquisitions - I think I'm ready now.

Sharing the island with Haiti, the Dominican Republic floats in the Caribbean Sea to the lower right of Cuba and upper left of Puerto Rico. The constant sunshine liberates its inhabitants from the oppressive layers and heavy coats winter requires. The strange sizes of the trees and flowers are astounding. My host-family frequently introduced me to unfamiliar fruits of varying colors and shapes.

As a family-oriented society, the Dominican Republic relies on the family unit as its center. For me, the greatest thing about the Dominican Republic is the night life. Dominicans are serious about partying. The beautiful lyrics, strong rhythms, and complex dance steps of merengue and salsa trapped me from the beginning. It was easy to fall in love with Dominican culture.

But the warm weather and intoxicating music aren't the things that stilled my tongue when asked to speak about the Dominican Republic. What silenced me is the double-edged sword of racism and sexism that unmercifully pricked me throughout my journey.

Ironically, one of the phrases I heard repeated most often in the Dominican Republic is "No hay racismo aqu?." (There's no racism here). Dominicans do not believe racism exists in their country. This lack of consciousness made the racism an unusually heavy burden to bear. When trying to discuss my feelings and problems, I constantly met with resistance. Instead of receiving support and understanding, I was bombarded with negations that the discrimination I was experiencing was real.

To the credit of the Dominican people, I must comment that there are two factors that intensified the racism I suffered. Firstly, the city of Santiago, where I lived, has a significant number of white or lighter skinned people. These people are, by virtue of institutionalized racism, classism, and other factors, richer and "better educated" than the average Dominican.

Although the common Dominican I encountered on the street often reacted to me in a similar manner as the "upper-class" Dominicans, I cannot definitively say that the racist climate that permeates Santiago is representative of the racial climate in every Dominican city.

The second factor that influenced my experiences is my outer appearance. I do not perm my hair and often dress in African-influenced styles. Because of this, the racism I experience in any country, including the United States, is often more intense than that experienced by other African Americans.

Just like African Americans, Dominicans come in all hues and shades. They are a many-toned people, formed by the familiar mix of European "conqueror" and African "slave" with the extra ingredient of the island's original indigenous people thrown in.

Unlike the situation in the United States where color dictates culture, in Dominican society, everyone shares the same culture regardless of color. "White" Dominicans eat rice and beans, dance the merengue and kiss upon meeting, just as "black" Dominicans do. Except for the differences due to racist manifestation of class (through which the rich just happen to be white and the poor just happen to be black), there are no inherent differences in the lifestyles of "white" and "black" Dominicans.

In one Dominican family, one child can be considered black and the other white. Though siblings, their different skin colors make them two different races. Because of this unique structure, I was forced to live and deal with prejudices in new ways. I could not avoid problems by living with a "black" family. There were no black families. I had to live within a community that rejected me.

Dominican racism is at once foreign and familiar. It contains some of the same patterns of self-hatred found in the black communities of the United States. Imagine my surprise when I heard the familiar phrases "bad hair" and "bettering the race" transformed by the Spanish tongue.

Just as the English language connotes the word 'white' with purity and goodness, Dominican Spanish makes similar connections. One host mother described her study-abroad son in one breath of linked words: "so nice, so sweet, and so white." Her verbal connection of these words exposed her mental relationship to them. For her the words 'nice,' 'sweet,' and 'white' are interchangeable. Through these similarities I realized that in many ways all oppressed people have to fight the same patterns of self-hatred and confusion as we do in the United States.

The uniqueness of Dominican racism lies in its subtleties; it is not a loud, obvious creature. It has no gloating, self-satisfied white face. The fervent denial of its existence made it hard for me to recognize its familiar traps. Although I was aware that I was being ignored throughout my trip, I did not always understand why. It seemed that the Dominican students selected to guide us through the university were magnetized by the white students, but they had little time and patience for us black students.

I was often confused, angry and depressed. I spent an entire month and a half watching men constantly beg my two white friends for dances and reluctantly ask my two black friends (with permed hair) for dances before I realized no one was asking me to dance. I spent many nights in a dark corner of a discotheque surrounded by men who found my body appealing enough to comment on in the streets, but my hair appalling enough to ignore me in the discos. I began to see a trend in their behavior and I recognized this trend as racialized sexism.

Racialized sexism is that peculiar brand of discrimination that breeds on black women (and other women of color) while somehow missing black men and white women completely.

Becoming aware of its existence explained why all the host mothers constantly told me how beautiful I could look if only I would fix (read: perm) my hair. Racialized sexism explained why my friend Vincent, also a possessor of natural hair, never had to defend his choice to wear his hair "that way." It explained why I thought constantly having different parts of my body grabbed in the street was a common experience until I discussed it with some of the white female students. They were shocked. Only their flaxen hair had been touched, never their bodies.

This blend of racism and sexism was the roughest thing to handle. I was equipped to deal with the racism, but not the mixture of the two. After some time, we black students became accustomed to the horrified glances and gasps we received when we referred to ourselves as black. One host-mother in particular would stop us saying, "No, no, no, don't call yourself black, you're Indian."

Dominicans have created a myriad of names - morena (brown), india (indian), blanca oscura (dark white), trigue?o (wheat colored) - to avoid referring to themselves as black. Nothing prepared us for a weekend field trip to the country where our weekend hosts got to pick the students they wanted to put up for the night. The first picked were the blondes. Standing there desolate and alone at the end were the blacks.

While I had a cordial, comfortable relationship with my host family, on many occasions I felt they might have related to me better were I white. When I would eagerly show them photographs of my friends from weekend trips, their eyes would go straight through my black friends' unsuspecting smiling faces and examine the blondes in the background. "Who's she?" they would ask, "Is she part of your group?"

Existing in a situation which I felt to be a daily negation of my being deeply affected me. I am a steel trap; I don't cry, and I didn't cry once while I was there. Now that I have returned, I sprout tears at the smallest infractions. Within the safety of my home, I am finally letting my wounds flow. Friends say I am quieter now and a bit more serious. The experience has certainly sobered me, not to the point of paralysis, but I walk the streets a bit more wary.

I find myself still reacting to the groping hands I encountered on Dominican streets. I have to force myself to pass men without flinching. My eyes are glued to their swinging hands and at their slightest movement in my direction, I am ready to react.

I don't want to recount every terrible experience I encountered in the Dominican Republic. I don't want to talk about the time I was refused entry into a club or the times our host-mothers had negative reactions to our black-Dominican and Haitian friends, but I can't open my mouth, my thoughts, and my soul about the Dominican Republic without these things flooding out.

I must emphasize that my experience was unique. Many sisters who traveled to the Dominican Republic enjoyed the trip and are ready to go back. Most of them didn't have such extreme experiences as I and, even with those extremes, I have no regrets.

With my pain and tears, I have brought back joy and laughter. I never cease to amaze myself upon hearing Spanish fall from my throat, my eyes will never stop glowing when they remember the lush beauty of the entire country, nor will my heart ever stop lifting at the memory of spending a night in a Dominican night club dancing in perfect sync with my friend Vincent watching the smiles of my friends spin around me.

Essay writing is a very natural form of expression to me. I could write an essay on anything and make it relevant to the human experience. The essays I conceive on my own examine social difficulties I grapple with ? sexual harassment and international racism. Luckily, I've been invited to write essays that explore more intimate elements of me as well: my father, my brothers, being single.

Kiini Ibura Salaam ? 1994 ? Eyeball Literary Magazine, 2000

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So why do people of differing phenotypes, based on your response, find themselves in different socio-economic spaces. Given that mulato is a broad term and encompasses a wide range of phenotypes lets think of people who look like Sammy Sosa.
Historical circumstance.

Through out Dominican history going back to Columbus to today, the general rule of thumb on migration pattern has been as follows:

- The whites that moved to the colony/country tended be motivated and in search of wealth. There were some influxes of whites, particularly in the 1700s with the Canary Islanders, that many were forced to move to the island; but in general, whites arrived on their own desires with ambition and success in mind.

- The blacks during the early part of the colony were imported as slaves. There was no division between those who were motivated or not, whether they had aspirations or not; they were brought against their will and then forced to work. However, the influx of slaves into the colony lasted a rather short period of time and afterward, influxes of new slaves was very sporadic, usually tied to a Spaniard or criollo living in nearby islands (especially Cuba) for whatever reason decided to move to Dominican soil and brought all their property, slaves included.

- The mulattoes are 'natural' to the island, often were given their freedom, had greater privileges, etc. By the time of the Haitians invaded and liberated the slaves in the Spanish side of the island, most of the population was already free and the slave population had considerable freedoms due to the nature of their work and the colony (a poor colony based on cattle ranching, a different story took place in Haiti, Jamaica or the US which were much more prosperous and based on the plantation system. That resulted in much harsher treatment of their slaves and greater ethnic tensions that simply didn't materialized on Dominican soil).

During the French and Haitian invasions, the white Dominican population suffered the most, especially in 1805. Many were massacred, while others chose to leave. By the time the exodus ended, the population on Dominican soil was reduced to a plus or minus 60,000 individuals.

Once the Dominican Republic was established in 1844 until the early 20th century, the country experienced a massive immigration flow of Europeans (one could consider that their have been three massive -relative to previous influxes- European immigration, in the era of the conquest, then in the 1700s with the Canary Islanders and then in the early years of the republic). This new wave of European immigrants was characterized by young men and often time couples/families migrating in search of economic opportunities in the entrepreneurial sense.

The bulk of the population was mulatto, a small minority was black and in the Cibao there was a great presence of white's descendants of Canary Islanders; they were overwhelmingly rural folk living a life of subsistence farming. In the mean time, the European immigrants arrived into the coastal cities (especially Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo, and then others settled in varios Cibao towns) and they focused more in the merchant/entrepreneurial activities. The Arabs also arrived in that time and became known for being shrewed business people that went from town to town selling all sorts of things directly to the people and much cheaper than the stores. The influx of Cuban (and Spaniards that had settled in Cuba and then moved to the DR once the war of independence broke out - this is when the Brugal family makes its first appearance in the country by establishing in Puerto Plata and restarting the rum business that had been started in Cuba). Germans establish themselves in the main cities (mostly Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and a handful of Cibao towns), the Americans also arrived etc. All of these people arriving were white, and did so with the intention of developing a certain economic sector. The Americans were the wealthiest and most powerful, hence their interest (ie. Sugar) took tremendous precedence, especially in the then almost completely uninhabited eastern plains.

The upsurge in economic development in that time period (mostly based on export-oriented agriculture such as Cacao, Sugar, Coffee, tobacco etc) was impulsed by white immigrants. This is when some of the most successful white Dominican families of today (Brugal, Le?n Asensio (aka, Le?n Jimenes), Pellerano, Vicini, Read, etc) settled in the country.

Of course, there's no economic development without a labor force, and this was mostly extracted from the rural areas of the Cibao (mostly mulattoes and blacks) for the cacao, tobacco, etc. agribusinesses that were established there. In the eastern region, due to its scarcity of people and the reluctance of Cibao countrymen to work the sugarcane fields for the pay being offered (and there were not enough manpower to fulfill the demand anyways), the sugar planters relied on imported labor from Puerto Rico and British West Indies and, later on, from Haiti. These workers (except for the Puerto Ricans who were mostly mulatto), mostly settled in the eastern plains, were black and they arrived in search of employment.

This is a key aspect to understand, the whites arrived into the country in search of developing a segment of the economy while the blacks that arrived did so in search of work, but not to start their own companies. The mulatto rural folks were gradually absorbed to supply the new demand of workers in the new agribusinesses created by the whites. Many of these white people were single men that later married local Dominican women, many were of the landed aristocracy from the Cibao and were white while others were mulatto women themselves.

Until this moment in Dominican history, the only source of 'wealth' was the government, which was already highly diverse with whites, mulattoes and black doing their share in, basically, living off the coffers of the state. The new economic boom was promulgated by white foreigners or white families that were two or three generations born on the island, in other words, very new families.

Now, keep in mind that Dominican society is not as numerous as it is today. The DR didn't brake the 1 million mark until the 1920s or 1930s; by the time Trujillo was killed in 1961, the country barely had 3 million people. This was a very tiny group of people.

Then came the Trujillo years. As a general rule of thumb, with the except of the Trujillo family itself, which was mulatto and by the end of the dictatorship concentrated 60 to 70% of the Dominican economy, the bulk of the other business people that didn't had their companies/land expropriated by the dictator, were white. The mulattoes and blacks formed the rank of the employees, albeit most of the population was still rural and lived from subsistence farming, remaining completely outside the moneyed economy. During the Trujillo years some white families arrived that focused on building businesses from scratch (the Bonarelli's arrived from Italy in the 1950s and established Restaurante Vesuvio, the first Italian restaurant on Dominican soil; the Ramos family arrived from Spain and bought a small shop on Avenida Duarte that with the years, dedication and hardwork has been converted into the Multicentros La Sirena - Dominican version of Wal-Mart -; so on and so forth).

The same process that took place from the moment the country gained its independence continued through the Trujillo years, namely arrivals of whites with the purpose of starting their own businesses that employed an every increasing percentage of the subsistence farming mulatto country folks and/or imported foreign black labor.

Once Trujillo is killed and his family is expelled from the country, his entire estate became property of the Dominican government (most of the land, most of the sugar plantations, most of the factories, the national airline, most of everything became government property). Trujillo's companies were reorganized into State owned and controlled conglomerates.

During Balaguer's first 12 years, many of Trujillo's enterprises were sold to interested parties (mostly white capitalists), other firms Balaguer gave as gift to some of his closest friends (ie. the El Caribe newspaper), the most lucrative remained in the hands of the state (ie. Consejo Estatal de Az?car, the sugar cane plantations which Trujillo had expanded into various areas of the sourthern region - Barahona, Peravia, etc) while some sugar mills were later privatized. Many white Dominican families that had developed businesses prior to Trujillo and/or during Trujillo, but later found themselves exiled due to being at odds with the dictator once he expropriated their businesses/properties decided to return and re-establish their former businesses (the Barletta's return and re-establish Santo Domingo Motors, etc).

Balaguer's 12 years were characterized by the Import Substitution Model, which means that the government put in place many incentives to foster the formation of a locally owned, based and oriented industrial base. This is why today the Dominican Republic produces almost everything it consumes except for oil and large machinery. From stoves, microwaves, refrigerators to toothpaste, furniture, cement; all the way to shoes, mattresses, clothes, the list goes on and on. Many of the owners and investors were white Dominican families, the same that had already been established between independence and the end of the dictatorship. Many of these families also invested in creating many important institution like most of the universities, cooperatives, etc.

Politics remained as it always had been, a mixture of all sorts of people from the darkest to the lightest, but business for the reasons explained here was mostly the domain of white investors/business developers and mulatto/black workers.

In the 1980s the import substitution model ran into problems, and by the early 1990s Balaguer started to implement the liberalizing of the economy. During this boom is when a large percentage of mulattoes and greater numbers of blacks begin to enter the business world and began to have certain level of success. This process continued during the first administration of Leonel Fern?ndez and pretty much continues today, albeit right now the country is gradually being shifted into a new development model that keeps the high growth level but also encourages greater human development. This shift in paradigm is suppose to be fully implemented by 2030.

To conclude, the white segment of Dominican society had a head start and were focus on business development, more so than the mulatto or black segment, or even the white's descendants of the Canary Islanders who tended to be subsistence farmers as well, primarily in the Cibao Valley and later were absorbed into the developing economy as salaried workers.

Hence, historical circumstances.

There are no major ethnic identities among Dominicans because Dominican identity is based on Dominicanidad, not race or ethnicity. The more you become acquainted with Dominican society, the more you will notice the lack of major ethnic identities.

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
There's No Racism Here?

A Black Woman in the Dominican Republic

By Kiini Ibura Salaam

When I first returned home from studying abroad, everyone wanted to know, "How was the Dominican Republic?" I was reluctant to respond. Masking the truth behind "fine's" and "good's," I skirted my real feelings. "Did you like it?" is such a loaded question that it can't be answered with a simple "yes" or "no." For a long time, I refused to talk about the Dominican Republic at all. I wanted to spend neither the time nor the energy to reach into my soul and give honest answers to the inquisitions - I think I'm ready now.

Sharing the island with Haiti, the Dominican Republic floats in the Caribbean Sea to the lower right of Cuba and upper left of Puerto Rico. The constant sunshine liberates its inhabitants from the oppressive layers and heavy coats winter requires. The strange sizes of the trees and flowers are astounding. My host-family frequently introduced me to unfamiliar fruits of varying colors and shapes.

As a family-oriented society, the Dominican Republic relies on the family unit as its center. For me, the greatest thing about the Dominican Republic is the night life. Dominicans are serious about partying. The beautiful lyrics, strong rhythms, and complex dance steps of merengue and salsa trapped me from the beginning. It was easy to fall in love with Dominican culture.

But the warm weather and intoxicating music aren't the things that stilled my tongue when asked to speak about the Dominican Republic. What silenced me is the double-edged sword of racism and sexism that unmercifully pricked me throughout my journey.

Ironically, one of the phrases I heard repeated most often in the Dominican Republic is "No hay racismo aqu?." (There's no racism here). Dominicans do not believe racism exists in their country. This lack of consciousness made the racism an unusually heavy burden to bear. When trying to discuss my feelings and problems, I constantly met with resistance. Instead of receiving support and understanding, I was bombarded with negations that the discrimination I was experiencing was real.

To the credit of the Dominican people, I must comment that there are two factors that intensified the racism I suffered. Firstly, the city of Santiago, where I lived, has a significant number of white or lighter skinned people. These people are, by virtue of institutionalized racism, classism, and other factors, richer and "better educated" than the average Dominican.

Although the common Dominican I encountered on the street often reacted to me in a similar manner as the "upper-class" Dominicans, I cannot definitively say that the racist climate that permeates Santiago is representative of the racial climate in every Dominican city.

The second factor that influenced my experiences is my outer appearance. I do not perm my hair and often dress in African-influenced styles. Because of this, the racism I experience in any country, including the United States, is often more intense than that experienced by other African Americans.

Just like African Americans, Dominicans come in all hues and shades. They are a many-toned people, formed by the familiar mix of European "conqueror" and African "slave" with the extra ingredient of the island's original indigenous people thrown in.

Unlike the situation in the United States where color dictates culture, in Dominican society, everyone shares the same culture regardless of color. "White" Dominicans eat rice and beans, dance the merengue and kiss upon meeting, just as "black" Dominicans do. Except for the differences due to racist manifestation of class (through which the rich just happen to be white and the poor just happen to be black), there are no inherent differences in the lifestyles of "white" and "black" Dominicans.

In one Dominican family, one child can be considered black and the other white. Though siblings, their different skin colors make them two different races. Because of this unique structure, I was forced to live and deal with prejudices in new ways. I could not avoid problems by living with a "black" family. There were no black families. I had to live within a community that rejected me.

Dominican racism is at once foreign and familiar. It contains some of the same patterns of self-hatred found in the black communities of the United States. Imagine my surprise when I heard the familiar phrases "bad hair" and "bettering the race" transformed by the Spanish tongue.

Just as the English language connotes the word 'white' with purity and goodness, Dominican Spanish makes similar connections. One host mother described her study-abroad son in one breath of linked words: "so nice, so sweet, and so white." Her verbal connection of these words exposed her mental relationship to them. For her the words 'nice,' 'sweet,' and 'white' are interchangeable. Through these similarities I realized that in many ways all oppressed people have to fight the same patterns of self-hatred and confusion as we do in the United States.

The uniqueness of Dominican racism lies in its subtleties; it is not a loud, obvious creature. It has no gloating, self-satisfied white face. The fervent denial of its existence made it hard for me to recognize its familiar traps. Although I was aware that I was being ignored throughout my trip, I did not always understand why. It seemed that the Dominican students selected to guide us through the university were magnetized by the white students, but they had little time and patience for us black students.

I was often confused, angry and depressed. I spent an entire month and a half watching men constantly beg my two white friends for dances and reluctantly ask my two black friends (with permed hair) for dances before I realized no one was asking me to dance. I spent many nights in a dark corner of a discotheque surrounded by men who found my body appealing enough to comment on in the streets, but my hair appalling enough to ignore me in the discos. I began to see a trend in their behavior and I recognized this trend as racialized sexism.

Racialized sexism is that peculiar brand of discrimination that breeds on black women (and other women of color) while somehow missing black men and white women completely.

Becoming aware of its existence explained why all the host mothers constantly told me how beautiful I could look if only I would fix (read: perm) my hair. Racialized sexism explained why my friend Vincent, also a possessor of natural hair, never had to defend his choice to wear his hair "that way." It explained why I thought constantly having different parts of my body grabbed in the street was a common experience until I discussed it with some of the white female students. They were shocked. Only their flaxen hair had been touched, never their bodies.

This blend of racism and sexism was the roughest thing to handle. I was equipped to deal with the racism, but not the mixture of the two. After some time, we black students became accustomed to the horrified glances and gasps we received when we referred to ourselves as black. One host-mother in particular would stop us saying, "No, no, no, don't call yourself black, you're Indian."

Dominicans have created a myriad of names - morena (brown), india (indian), blanca oscura (dark white), trigue?o (wheat colored) - to avoid referring to themselves as black. Nothing prepared us for a weekend field trip to the country where our weekend hosts got to pick the students they wanted to put up for the night. The first picked were the blondes. Standing there desolate and alone at the end were the blacks.

While I had a cordial, comfortable relationship with my host family, on many occasions I felt they might have related to me better were I white. When I would eagerly show them photographs of my friends from weekend trips, their eyes would go straight through my black friends' unsuspecting smiling faces and examine the blondes in the background. "Who's she?" they would ask, "Is she part of your group?"

Existing in a situation which I felt to be a daily negation of my being deeply affected me. I am a steel trap; I don't cry, and I didn't cry once while I was there. Now that I have returned, I sprout tears at the smallest infractions. Within the safety of my home, I am finally letting my wounds flow. Friends say I am quieter now and a bit more serious. The experience has certainly sobered me, not to the point of paralysis, but I walk the streets a bit more wary.

I find myself still reacting to the groping hands I encountered on Dominican streets. I have to force myself to pass men without flinching. My eyes are glued to their swinging hands and at their slightest movement in my direction, I am ready to react.

I don't want to recount every terrible experience I encountered in the Dominican Republic. I don't want to talk about the time I was refused entry into a club or the times our host-mothers had negative reactions to our black-Dominican and Haitian friends, but I can't open my mouth, my thoughts, and my soul about the Dominican Republic without these things flooding out.

I must emphasize that my experience was unique. Many sisters who traveled to the Dominican Republic enjoyed the trip and are ready to go back. Most of them didn't have such extreme experiences as I and, even with those extremes, I have no regrets.

With my pain and tears, I have brought back joy and laughter. I never cease to amaze myself upon hearing Spanish fall from my throat, my eyes will never stop glowing when they remember the lush beauty of the entire country, nor will my heart ever stop lifting at the memory of spending a night in a Dominican night club dancing in perfect sync with my friend Vincent watching the smiles of my friends spin around me.

Essay writing is a very natural form of expression to me. I could write an essay on anything and make it relevant to the human experience. The essays I conceive on my own examine social difficulties I grapple with ? sexual harassment and international racism. Luckily, I've been invited to write essays that explore more intimate elements of me as well: my father, my brothers, being single.

Kiini Ibura Salaam ? 1994 ? Eyeball Literary Magazine, 2000

THANK YOU for posting this article. This is EXACTLY what I mean. Some people act like to even imply racism in the Dominican Republic is like a slap in the face. And I may be a lot of things but crazy is not one of them, I am Black man who grew up in the DEEP SOUTH (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia) and I KNOW what racism smells like, looks like, feels like and tastes like. This may be only ONE article, from the perspective of ONE person who had some bad experiences, but it PERFECTLY sums up the point I have been trying to make. I may be a little out-of-the-loop but I know enough about Dominican culture to come the conclusion I have, namely - there is a CLEAR and EVIDENT partiality in the Dominican Republic when it comes to the skin color. The lighter you are the better, the darker you are the worse. PERIOD, punto y final. I am NOT stupid, I know how to put 2 and 2 together. People can hypothesize all they want about the Why's and Who's and the Social-Eco-Genotypical whatevers. True its a different 'type' of racially motivated issue than it is here, but the basis is the same: 'Black is Bad, White is Good'. And what is most disturbing is not the mere existence of it, but the fact that I CAN see it, and that so many other people CAN NOT see it, and would much rather relegate it as just some Social-Eco-Genotypical-Natively Bred-Isolated issue. Why does it bother me so, you ask? Well, yea I happen to be Black with many ties to the Dominican Republic and lets just say it gets old. Even amongst a pool of 'Browns' and 'distance cousins' Black is still the Color not to be. It would be nice to at least ONE DAY, SOMEWHERE see Black people treated as just people and not some Color always associated with something negative.

Reactions: woofsback

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
IDon't even live in the DR although I have been there a few time, have friends there, and plan to move there, it is clear to me that there is racism, can't see how anyone could miss it, and I am white guy and frankly it seems I get treated better for it, not that I’m complaining, but yes my friend it is there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And yet, it's not racism...

I KNOW what racism smells like, looks like, feels like and tastes like.
But it's not racism, there is a clear distinction between racism and colorism.

Here are the differences I see between American racism and Dominican colorism:

1. DR: determines an omission dependent on the personal characteristics such as instruction, occupation, etc.

USA: determines an unconditional exclusion to the members of the group regardless of personal characteristics.

2. DR: identification is based on appearance depending on the mixture level, lacks a race consciousness.

USA: identification is based on an inherent original notion of non-white inferiority that makes it impossible for the mix sector to be seen as anything other than part of the inferior race; race consciousness is constantly vivid (creating almost a caste-like situation) in which the racial minority seeks racial solidarity.

3. DR: it?s much more intellectual and aesthetic, impersonal and doesn?t involve the ego or the sense of self in the identity construct. Hence, it?s broken along the notion of beauty and ugliness, very superficial. The intensity of the prejudice varies depending on all the factors of the individuals? appearance, attitude, education level, etc. There is a continuum.

USA: it?s much more emotional, irrational, and integral to the identity of the person. It?s broken along the attribution of genetic inferiority. Prejudice is equally applied to anyone that shows the most minimum signs of having a genetic link to the perceived inferior group; its very adept to creating racial hatred (i.e. Rise of groups like KKK or Black Panther). Due to this, its manifestation is much more conscious (i.e. segregation ? whether implied by law or through habit of people is irrelevant ?). There is an us vs. them attitude.

4. DR: personal relationships, friendships and admiration easily and much more commonly cross the color issue. Hence, when people of different colors marry, no major conflicts arise in the way either of the two (or the offspring) is seen by the community.

USA: strong taboos and negative group sanctions severely restricts (or at the very least creates a permanent tension) relationships between individuals of the two groups. Hence, when people of the different races marry, the white person socially is considered black, may be peyoratively referred to as a ?negrolover? or ?wigger?, and is relegated to the social world of the ?inferior? race.

5. DR: the ideology is assimilating and encourages mixing with the result of homogenizing the population (culturally and in appearance), thus eliminating the extremes.

USA: the ideology is segregationist and racist, with an expectation that the minority group remains isolated and highly concentrated, constituting a social world apart from mainstream society in order to maintain ?racial purity.? Any idea of homogenizing is rejected by both, the white and the black group, due to an entrenched belief that each ?race? needs to be preserved.

6. DR: differences between minority groups occur from the cultural sphere more than racial or color. There is a marked preference for minority groups that are less prone to endogamy and ethnocentrism.

USA: differences between minority groups occur from the racial sphere more than cultural. There is a marked preference for minority groups that are prone to endogamy and ethnocentrism.

7. DR: there is greater emphasis on controlling the behavior of individuals that may practice discrimination in order to protect from humiliation or susceptibility the individuals that could be subjected to discrimination. Hence, everyone is careful to not call someone black, but instead moreno, etc. depending on the continuum.

USA: the emphasis is to control the behavior of the discriminated group in order to appease to the sensibilities of the discriminator. There is greater emphasis on expressing the inequality in the relationship between the two rigidly defined groups. Those catalogued as white have their own culture, behavior pattern, food, music, dress styles, etc. that is differently from those who are catalogued as black; and anyone from one group that crosses into the style of the other is seen as trying to deny or betray their ?race.?

8. DR: on the individual subject to being discriminated, being conscious of the prejudice is intermittent. The person hardly thinks of his color in terms of being part of his identity, it?s simply a feature similar to having black or blonde hair. No further implications.

USA: on the group subject to being discriminated, being conscious of the prejudice is constant and obsessive. The person constantly reaffirms his identity along racial lines; his identity is intimately intertwined with his ?race? to such a degree that it?s (a) a permanent need of auto affirmation, (b) constant defensive attitude, and (c) being very sensitive to any reference, explicitly or implicitly, relating to his ?race.? This last part includes a constant monitoring and judging of the attitudes of those who are part of the ?race,? as well as those who are not; and if there is any inconsistency or discrepancy, it will be brought to everyone?s attention.

9. DR: everything functions on an individual level with demonstrations of attitudes and characteristics (physical beauty, elegance, talent, education, etc) that would increase the social approval of the person.

USA: everything functions as a group. Individual progress is seen as a real conquest of new positions in the name of the group. In every instance the individual has contact with a white person or an institution or public situation, they often feel and take the role of being a representative or ambassador of the entire ?racial? group.

10. DR: social mobility is within reach of the individual and he/she can change different characteristics (education, manners, etc) to make be much more favorable; hence, social-class takes precedence.

USA: the two separate groups (white vs. black) remain rigidly separate from each other, as if they were parallel societies not capable of reconciling. They are almost like two different castes, in constant friction and a relative ease that tensions can rise from the most basic and minute misunderstanding.

11. DR: social-class takes greater importance in restricting the individual, since his characteristics (education, speech pattern, consumption patterns, etc) can override any ?penalty? due to his physical appearance.

USA: the discriminated group acts like a national minority with a constant friction and tension of equalizing status but rejecting homogenizing in order to preserve the ?race.?

In conclusion, Dominican society can't be judge by American parameters. To do so will render you a skewed picture that doesn't correspond with the real workings and nature of Dominican society.

Reactions: woofsback
Mar 1, 2009
Sister Salam had a bad experience because she shows up to discoteca's in african garb and a hairstyle that was out of place. I know you bachatero666, you are one of those black people who see racism everywhere. If the waitress in the restaurant is overworked and just happened to miss you, racist. If there are no more loaves of bread left in the supermarket, racism. If you feel that you didn't get the answer you wanted somewhere, if somebody doesn't want to speak to you because you are an overly sensitive person who happens to be of african descent it's racism. I feel sorry for people like you.
It's all about self hate and how you didn't get invited to the white kids house to play Gi-joes back in 80's. Now you focus on an easy target, the perenially racist Dominican's who even though are tanned, darker hued and as black as you or me, are not aware of the fact they are black or white or mulatto.
Stop being so negative. I am black, I am white, I am mixed and I am not as sensitive as you. Dominicans and I do call it like it is, I just did son.
You are educated, you write and express yourself well, so go read a self help book and enough with your bitter experiences. I lived in black neighborhood's my whole life and I had to hear the same song my whole life from the brothers. I on the other hand heard the most horrible of things about my hispanic heritage while living their.

Obama is president man for God's sake, it's a new age for black people and people of color in general. In general as you like to say, you generalizer. I like this new age, black people in GENERAL are more positive than you and realize that being black is no longer a disadvantage, it's just a color. I am in DR all the time and I just don't see this discrimination and silly foolishness you describe and I do look for it, but I don't see it. Maybe I am just a positive person, a positive state of mind can do wonders brother!!! Change your thoughts and change your life, Dominicans will welcome you, I welcome you whether you are black or white.

Reactions: Chip and Ezequiel

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
But it's not racism, there is a clear distinction between racism and colorism.

Here are the differences I see between American racism and Dominican colorism:

1. DR: determines an omission dependent on the personal characteristics such as instruction, occupation, etc.

USA: determines an unconditional exclusion to the members of the group regardless of personal characteristics.

2. DR: identification is based on appearance depending on the mixture level, lacks a race consciousness.

USA: identification is based on an inherent original notion of non-white inferiority that makes it impossible for the mix sector to be seen as anything other than part of the inferior race; race consciousness is constantly vivid (creating almost a caste-like situation) in which the racial minority seeks racial solidarity.

3. DR: it?s much more intellectual and aesthetic, impersonal and doesn?t involve the ego or the sense of self in the identity construct. Hence, it?s broken along the notion of beauty and ugliness, very superficial. The intensity of the prejudice varies depending on all the factors of the individuals? appearance, attitude, education level, etc. There is a continuum.

USA: it?s much more emotional, irrational, and integral to the identity of the person. It?s broken along the attribution of genetic inferiority. Prejudice is equally applied to anyone that shows the most minimum signs of having a genetic link to the perceived inferior group; its very adept to creating racial hatred (i.e. Rise of groups like KKK or Black Panther). Due to this, its manifestation is much more conscious (i.e. segregation ? whether implied by law or through habit of people is irrelevant ?). There is an us vs. them attitude.

4. DR: personal relationships, friendships and admiration easily and much more commonly cross the color issue. Hence, when people of different colors marry, no major conflicts arise in the way either of the two (or the offspring) is seen by the community.

USA: strong taboos and negative group sanctions severely restricts (or at the very least creates a permanent tension) relationships between individuals of the two groups. Hence, when people of the different races marry, the white person socially is considered black, may be peyoratively referred to as a ?negrolover? or ?wigger?, and is relegated to the social world of the ?inferior? race.

5. DR: the ideology is assimilating and encourages mixing with the result of homogenizing the population (culturally and in appearance), thus eliminating the extremes.

USA: the ideology is segregationist and racist, with an expectation that the minority group remains isolated and highly concentrated, constituting a social world apart from mainstream society in order to maintain ?racial purity.? Any idea of homogenizing is rejected by both, the white and the black group, due to an entrenched belief that each ?race? needs to be preserved.

6. DR: differences between minority groups occur from the cultural sphere more than racial or color. There is a marked preference for minority groups that are less prone to endogamy and ethnocentrism.

USA: differences between minority groups occur from the racial sphere more than cultural. There is a marked preference for minority groups that are prone to endogamy and ethnocentrism.

7. DR: there is greater emphasis on controlling the behavior of individuals that may practice discrimination in order to protect from humiliation or susceptibility the individuals that could be subjected to discrimination. Hence, everyone is careful to not call someone black, but instead moreno, etc. depending on the continuum.

USA: the emphasis is to control the behavior of the discriminated group in order to appease to the sensibilities of the discriminator. There is greater emphasis on expressing the inequality in the relationship between the two rigidly defined groups. Those catalogued as white have their own culture, behavior pattern, food, music, dress styles, etc. that is differently from those who are catalogued as black; and anyone from one group that crosses into the style of the other is seen as trying to deny or betray their ?race.?

8. DR: on the individual subject to being discriminated, being conscious of the prejudice is intermittent. The person hardly thinks of his color in terms of being part of his identity, it?s simply a feature similar to having black or blonde hair. No further implications.

USA: on the group subject to being discriminated, being conscious of the prejudice is constant and obsessive. The person constantly reaffirms his identity along racial lines; his identity is intimately intertwined with his ?race? to such a degree that it?s (a) a permanent need of auto affirmation, (b) constant defensive attitude, and (c) being very sensitive to any reference, explicitly or implicitly, relating to his ?race.? This last part includes a constant monitoring and judging of the attitudes of those who are part of the ?race,? as well as those who are not; and if there is any inconsistency or discrepancy, it will be brought to everyone?s attention.

9. DR: everything functions on an individual level with demonstrations of attitudes and characteristics (physical beauty, elegance, talent, education, etc) that would increase the social approval of the person.

USA: everything functions as a group. Individual progress is seen as a real conquest of new positions in the name of the group. In every instance the individual has contact with a white person or an institution or public situation, they often feel and take the role of being a representative or ambassador of the entire ?racial? group.

10. DR: social mobility is within reach of the individual and he/she can change different characteristics (education, manners, etc) to make be much more favorable; hence, social-class takes precedence.

USA: the two separate groups (white vs. black) remain rigidly separate from each other, as if they were parallel societies not capable of reconciling. They are almost like two different castes, in constant friction and a relative ease that tensions can rise from the most basic and minute misunderstanding.

11. DR: social-class takes greater importance in restricting the individual, since his characteristics (education, speech pattern, consumption patterns, etc) can override any ?penalty? due to his physical appearance.

USA: the discriminated group acts like a national minority with a constant friction and tension of equalizing status but rejecting homogenizing in order to preserve the ?race.?

In conclusion, Dominican society can't be judge by American parameters. To do so will render you a skewed picture that doesn't correspond with the real workings and nature of Dominican society.
You say tomato(to-may-to) i say tomato(to-ma-to).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Anger issues ??

Sister Salam had a bad experience because she shows up to discoteca's in african garb and a hairstyle that was out of place. I know you bachatero666, you are one of those black people who see racism everywhere. If the waitress in the restaurant is overworked and just happened to miss you, racist. If there are no more loaves of bread left in the supermarket, racism. If you feel that you didn't get the answer you wanted somewhere, if somebody doesn't want to speak to you because you are an overly sensitive person who happens to be of african descent it's racism. I feel sorry for people like you.
It's all about self hate and how you didn't get invited to the white kids house to play Gi-joes back in 80's. Now you focus on an easy target, the perenially racist Dominican's who even though are tanned, darker hued and as black as you or me, are not aware of the fact they are black or white or mulatto.
Stop being so negative. I am black, I am white, I am mixed and I am not as sensitive as you. Dominicans and I do call it like it is, I just did son.
You are educated, you write and express yourself well, so go read a self help book and enough with your bitter experiences. I lived in black neighborhood's my whole life and I had to hear the same song my whole life from the brothers. I on the other hand heard the most horrible of things about my hispanic heritage while living their.

Obama is president man for God's sake, it's a new age for black people and people of color in general. In general as you like to say, you generalizer. I like this new age, black people in GENERAL are more positive than you and realize that being black is no longer a disadvantage, it's just a color. I am in DR all the time and I just don't see this discrimination and silly foolishness you describe and I do look for it, but I don't see it. Maybe I am just a positive person, a positive state of mind can do wonders brother!!! Change your thoughts and change your life, Dominicans will welcome you, I welcome you whether you are black or white.

Landito, why do you get so ****ed of all the time ??? Most of your posts on other subjects are much more balanced..........

Anyway, while I don't live in the DR and I have only spent a total of 2 months there. I can't say that I relate to her testimony.
I walk around and most of the times, I was mistaken for Dominican, until I opened my mouth, lol. Men never grabbed me but they DID make comments (nothing offensive of course, just compliments). I never had any problems getting asked to dance, quite the contrary :cheeky:

However, to say that there isn't any issues about racism or colorism would be a lie. It is subtle I admit, but it is there. I could give you a list of examples starting with pelo malo and so on....

Do I focus on it ? No. Do I feel like DR is like South Africa apartheid? Obviously, no. I can't speak for Bachatero, but I would guess he feels the same, if not why would he go to the DR ? Is it unique to DR? Again, no.

Now, am I a race-obsessed Black sista in need of self-help too because I see it ? ;)

Last edited:

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010

LOL@ bachtero666, thats real cute, and almost funny.....almost. Perhaps 'sister Salam' DID show up with inappropriate attire and a 'questionable' hair style, and maybe that was the reason she was denied entry. Fair enough, but I can show you case after case (probably hundreds if I actually took the time to research them all) of clear 'colorism'. In one case people of darker skin showed up in perfectly acceptable attire and were denied entry, while their lighter skinned friends were allowed entry (the security not realizing that these 2 'groups' of lighter and darker skinned people were all actually really part of one big group, intentionally divided to document the blatant partiality to COLOR and not cash, class, clothing. It would have probably taken the pleadings of Anthony Santos himself to get entry for them. You can not sit there and act like this is not happening, there was entire news report on it, MADE BY DOMINICANS!! As the say on ESPN "Cmon Man!" So you can't say its just some Americanized mumbo-jumbo, porque entre el pueblo Dominicano hay personas que han documentado la mismisima cosa que te estoy hablando - parcialidad de color. You don't see it because apparently you see it as something else, or simply because you don't WANT to see it, because maybe that would be equivalent to some other self-imposed social evil of grander scale. But I'm not saying, I will be the first to admit that many Black people here in the States are really just now starting to be comfortable being Black (and no Obama has nothing to do with that, thanks), it takes time when you are conditioned to believe that there is something wrong with you. So, I am just saying that I see the same 'teeth marks' of this effect in el pueblo Dominicano y lamentablemente son poquitos los que si pueden verlo.
Actually I'm NOT one of those 'oh help us poor Black people, everybody hates us, so that gives me and excuse to play the race card anytime I want regardless of its validity' type. I HAVE seen racism in a lot of places, but 1) I don't go out looking for it and 2) I live in Atlanta, GA which is basically a 'Black City' there are more highly successful Black people in Atlanta than probably anywhere in the U.S. - Media, Music, Politics, Lawyers etc. Furthermore, I live in Southwest Atlanta dear sir, and just so you know it has probably %70 Black population, with the rest being Mexican, then White among other groups. So that waitress in the restaurant you theoretically and somehow simultaneously, confidently speak of would be Black in my case. As far as the loaves of bread, I would be more likely to ask the Black Supervisors and Managers about their incompetence than to blame it on conspiracy level theory racism. As far as you hearing the same ol' song, thats simply because the very history of Black people in the States was written with a Pen in one hand and a chain wrapped around the other, oppression IS our history.
I am not calling Dominican's racist, nor have I within any part of my argument. But I am saying is that it exist because instead of someone saying, "ok, ok timeout guys, you know what? there is something wrong with this picture", its all attributed to all these social and economical variants that are based on class, location, status, money, diet etc. If we are getting technical then ok, I guess its not 'racism' its 'colorism', although the 'race' of African people is mainly Black, and Black just so happens to be the color that nobody wants to be - go figure. But I guess thats just coincidental. The race, or 'color' issue (I guess we are calling it now) is always calculated, divided into all these pre-weighed portions of pseudo-justification, instead of someone saying 'eto' e' un problema Se?ores, y hay que resolverlo, polque no debe ser asi'. But that does not happen, because people have been conditioned NOT to see, or to see it as every, and anything else BUT what it really is, a problem. It doesn't bother me (at least not yet) directly because I live in the States. But it hurts me to see such a beautiful country and people affected by the same type of propaganda fed to Black people in the early establishment of American society. The worst part is, as it applies to Dominican culture its embraced, because history has conveniently made neighboring Haiti a 'spark plug' in the Engine of conflict, and partiality to color. The presence of Africa in the minds of most Dominicans seems (not is, but seems) to have been dashed to pieces, put in a bag and placed in the nearest zafacon. Whereas the presumed prestige of Whites has been lifted to lofty places that don't exist in most realities and the mystic of the historically elusive 'Indio' has been resurrected, the missing bones of which have been replaced by self-generated prosthetics build with pride, honor and the same selective eye it takes to look in the mirror seeing 'indio' 'moreno' 'javao' etc, but never seeing 'negro'.

Reactions: Africaida

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
racism/colourization

it's been a FACT since man first saw that another was different than them
some advoctate racsim and some fight against it...
but it is always prevelant in societies

slant eyes...pork chop...wop....dumbinican...yanker...squaw hopper...
pick a country and there is a nasty name to describe the people

throughout the centuries of our existance there were cultures that were dominant over others and slavery was the by product of that domination

it wasn't a black thing...they were the last available resource and once the WORLD finally got together rules were made and slavery was abolished...
unfortunately racism isn't going to leave this world

it is not an inheritant...it is bred into our minds from all types of actions and stories and from people around us

as i've said b4...put 100 kids 4-6yrs old in a room and the only thing they will fight about is over toys...
colour...sex ....religon...money...none of these things has any importance to them

as for me.....i see more racism from tourists than i do from the locals

Reactions: Africaida

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I didn't have time to read all the posts, especially NAL's. :cheeky: Sorry, too long.

Hi OP. You’re looking at DR with your USA Goggles. Take them off.

Everything in the US is about race & ethnicity. When I left the US for greener and saner pastures, it seemed that most black people would strongly identify with their race. White people that lived in urban setting strongly identified with their ethnicity i.e. Italian, Russian etc. I always found it a shame that most people that I met never strongly identified with being American (excluding non urban areas).

I am not Dominican, but after having lived in DR a while I see that there is no big deal about how white or how dark somebody is, they are all Dominican. It doesn’t mean that they are denying their heritage or that they have been brainwashed or conditioned. It’s just not an important issue to them, as they strongly identify themselves as being Dominican, period.

If somebody is white, he is called Rubio, very dark, he is called Moreno. Nobody is insulted, because these are not insulting terms. I think Americans can learn a lot from Dominicans in this area.

Dominicans see themselves collectively as Dominicans. They see Haitians as Haitians and Gringos as Gringos; All unrelated to skin tone.

Sometimes I think that all of this constant preoccupation that the “civilized” world has with race is a result of them being brainwashed or conditioned. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.