Stopped this afternoon by 2 cops at Sosua for money

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have no doubt that it has and does happen on a regular basis. I can honestly say it hasn't happen to me yet. I drive everyday, one a week to Santiago, and one a month to Santo Domingo and perhaps two or three times a year to PP area, and various other locations in the DR. Of course I have my wife with me who knows exactly how to talk to these guys.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As our real estate agent in LT reminds us...the community here is fairly close knit, and the locals have good memories. They know who the gringo a-holes are and they know who here really contributes to the community and will be there when you need them. I think this goes for the police as well. It may be difficult for some to stomach but contributing a couple dollars to the "policeman's ball" is a small price to pay for your community reputation, and perhaps future needs.

Absolutely correct....in the small communities.
The majority of these issues are tourist related in tourist areas

Yes, they remember like elephants.... I try to work that to my advantage - as you suggest

Imma have to agree with Cristo Rey on this one ...
Find a second Job,.,. use your " Connects" to learn a TRADE.. open a business.. a Calmado, a Nudie bar .. anything.. if you are a PN.. you got a LOT of INSIDE Info .. and a lot of connections ..

but Setting of Roadblocks in the middle of the Night , to pull over rental Cars and SCAM tourists out of their Money
.... no, excuse me ... to TERRORIZE Tourists into Giving you money, for fear of being ARRESTED of worse... is NOT A LEGIT BUSINESS MODEL ,, in any way shape or form...

and to SUPPORT such Criminal Activity ... speak volumes of the people who think this is " Ok" to do

Never seen night time ones.... always a first time - I suppose

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have no doubt that it has and does happen on a regular basis. I can honestly say it hasn't happen to me yet. I drive everyday, one a week to Santiago, and one a month to Santo Domingo and perhaps two or three times a year to PP area, and various other locations in the DR. Of course I have my wife with me who knows exactly how to talk to these guys.

let us examine the logic in this...

1---you have no doubt it happens ''on a regular basis''

2..it has never happened to you, and your travelling movements are extensive..

so, what is it that informs your certitude that it is a regular event? hearsay?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Absolutely correct....in the small communities.
The majority of these issues are tourist related in tourist areas

Yes, they remember like elephants.... I try to work that to my advantage - as you suggest

Never seen night time ones.... always a first time - I suppose

you and me both, ww. i guess we have not been here long enough.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some people justifying the illegal police action for money consider themselves Social Justice Warriors.
How is this any different than small Southern towns shaking down Yankees passing through.
You can't argue for fairness by law enforcement passionately on one hand and look the other way on police abuse here because "they are poor" and "it's a 3rd World country"

Maybe we need to start a ELM movement.
Extranjeros Lives Matter - not everyone here has a trust fund or huge 401 K balance supporting them.

A shakedown is a shakedown no matter how it's dressed.

And yeah I have been stopped multiple times and yes have paid just to get on my way.
Best solution "I don't speak any Spanish"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
let us examine the logic in this...

1---you have no doubt it happens ''on a regular basis''

2..it has never happened to you, and your travelling movements are extensive..

so, what is it that informs your certitude that it is a regular event? hearsay?

There has been enough reports of this on more than one forum and I know people that have said it has happened to them, both Dominicans and non-Dominicans. I have no reason to doubt these people. Not sure what your arguement is.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
SMH...
Some people just don't get it.
The entire police institution is corrupt.
I have spent the night in a holding cell
here in Santiago more than once for
refusing to give these scumbags money.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Imma have to agree with Cristo Rey on this one ...
Find a second Job,.,. use your " Connects" to learn a TRADE.. open a business.. a Calmado, a Nudie bar .. anything.. if you are a PN.. you got a LOT of INSIDE Info .. and a lot of connections ..

but Setting of Roadblocks in the middle of the Night , to pull over rental Cars and SCAM tourists out of their Money
.... no, excuse me ... to TERRORIZE Tourists into Giving you money, for fear of being ARRESTED of worse... is NOT A LEGIT BUSINESS MODEL ,, in any way shape or form...

and to SUPPORT such Criminal Activity ... speak volumes of the people who think this is " Ok" to do

Hmmmmm...., road blocks at night. In general, the police don't like to work at night too much, and with all the reports of crooks dressed up as police and robbing people on the highways, I think if I didn't see an automatic rifle, I might just run that roadblock!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
SMH...

My Apologies to Gorgon.... I stand corrected ..

As Christo Rey just clarified ,, they did not "threaten" him on more than one occasion no less
... before they put him in a Holding Cell overnight for REFUSING to PAY.......

I do apologize for my accusations of "threats" made ..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
SMH...

Aren't you disproving your own case? On one hand you say that if you pay them(positive reinforcement), they'll only ask you again, so you don't pay them(negative reinforcement), and they throw you in a holding cell for the night as a result.

Wouldn't paying them 200 pesos be the "lesser of two evils" compared to spending a night in a holding cell?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My problem with the whole thing is that it would be swell if the police could multi task and police the dangerous driving at the same time. It's not like there is a shortage of police or dangerous drivers.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My Apologies to Gorgon.... I stand corrected ..

As Christo Rey just clarified ,, they did not "threaten" him on more than one occasion no less
... before they put him in a Holding Cell overnight for REFUSING to PAY.......

I do apologize for my accusations of "threats" made ..

well, we do not know why he was held in the first place. since you were there, why don't you tell us..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some people justifying the illegal police action for money consider themselves Social Justice Warriors.
How is this any different than small Southern towns shaking down Yankees passing through.
You can't argue for fairness by law enforcement passionately on one hand and look the other way on police abuse here because "they are poor" and "it's a 3rd World country"

Maybe we need to start a ELM movement.
Extranjeros Lives Matter - not everyone here has a trust fund or huge 401 K balance supporting them.

A shakedown is a shakedown no matter how it's dressed.

And yeah I have been stopped multiple times and yes have paid just to get on my way.
Best solution "I don't speak any Spanish"

you read entirely too much bargain basement sociological blather, and end up making really nonsensical remarks, calling people social justice warriors because they do not work themselves up into a lather because a cop propositions someone for a few bucks. all of a sudden, the cops are all crooks, the people have no principles, and we have to listen to an unending tsunami of paternalistic moralizing from people who seem to live their lives finding something to complain about.

truth be told, some guys are not cut out for life outside their burghs, and should stay home..

guys like you , who get so bent out of shape because cops here are so corrupt, should do a checklist before you get here, checking into stuff like this.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
you read entirely too much bargain basement sociological blather, and end up making really nonsensical remarks, calling people social justice warriors because they do not work themselves up into a lather because a cop propositions someone for a few bucks. all of a sudden, the cops are all crooks, the people have no principles, and we have to listen to an unending tsunami of paternalistic moralizing from people who seem to live their lives finding something to complain about.

truth be told, some guys are not cut out for life outside their burghs, and should stay home..

guys like you , who get so bent out of shape because cops here are so corrupt, should do a checklist before you get here, checking into stuff like this.
I've been in DR for a long time and will never get used to corrupt police Wasn't it you who complained about corrupt police in Atlanta hassling you as a black man and profiling?
Isn't the stopping and harassment of tourists profiling also.
I guess the SJW only care if it is US cops who they deem corrupt. I was never ask for refrescos in the states.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been in DR for a long time and will never get used to corrupt police Wasn't it you who complained about corrupt police in Atlanta hassling you as a black man and profiling?
Isn't the stopping and harassment of tourists profiling also.
I guess the SJW only care if it is US cops who they deem corrupt. I was never ask for refrescos in the states.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

i have never been to Atlanta, so please try to get your anecdotes straight. or , i should say, your fabrications.

as i said, you might not have been asked for refrescos in the states. go ask some drug dealers how many cars they have bought the paragon of virtue cops in the USA. why do you think every cop wants to work areas like Washington Heights and South Bronx? definitly not for a few beers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was 'extorted' in GA one Christmas weeknd passing thru on I-95

totally false charges but I was encouraged to pay 'on the spot' to avoid disrupting my trip

and wasn't $2..... add a couple of zero's

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was 'extorted' in GA one Christmas weeknd passing thru on I-95

totally false charges but I was encouraged to pay 'on the spot' to avoid disrupting my trip

and wasn't $2..... add a couple of zero's

does anybody here really believe that when cops in the USA and Canada knock over a drug spot that the money and drugs actually make it back to the precinct?

you really believe that ? REALLY?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Aren't you disproving your own case? On one hand you say that if you pay them(positive reinforcement), they'll only ask you again, so you don't pay them(negative reinforcement), and they throw you in a holding cell for the night as a result.

Wouldn't paying them 200 pesos be the "lesser of two evils" compared to spending a night in a holding cell?

I'm not disproving my own case. I'm simply sharing my experiences.

Half of these "officers" couldn't pass a drug test. Now tell me, which would
be the lesser of two evils. Having half a police force or having a police
knowing half of them are drug users?

Now that most of them around here know I'm willing to spend a night in a cell
before giving them my hard earned cash they don't seem to bother me anymore.

In other words, as I stated earlier.. Its all about the money and when there's
no money in it for them they go else where.