Strange expat comminity in Bavaro

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have been here 20 years plus and have quite a few expats for friends as well as many Dominican friends (spouse is Dominican) and really none of the expats I know speak that way. Everynow and then I will run across a expat who is unhappy but it is mainly their own doing. Remember some people move here on a whim and not always for the right reasons so they feel better blaming their unhappiness on everything/everyone else. While I like Bavaro very much to me it is more of a tourist area. Some that live there may have based their decision to live there on the experience they had while visiting as a tourist. The tourist experience and the daily living here experience are worlds apart. Again I know people in Bavaro who are quite happy and content with their life there. I too am a expat and while I would not change living here for anything I too have my days when you might hear me complain but the good out weighs the bad so I am ok.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
We don't even live in dr anymore but my mrs used to make it clear to me she didn't appreciate me bitching about her country (which I did whenever I had anything that didn't go my way), as with her family, only she can bitch about it, no one else.
Expats usually are escaping something, hence the move, for some it takes a while to sink in it is what is inside that needs to change, some never do, some will always complain and blame surroundings.
Bavaro is only good for certain sorts, full time, forever, I'd be bitching also.

May 29, 2006
No, I have never been in a community where a gringo comes to my home, at my dinner table, in my country to tell me we are cueros and corrupt. We have lived in cities and small towns in the US. Never seen anything like this.

Bueno, at least I am home and close to my family.

Dinner is not a time for complaining about anything. It sours the the stomach and insults the cook who made the food.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Some people communicate via complaining. Its an easy way to connect especially among gringos living in the DR. They all seem to do it. Either learn to ignore it or think about moving like Matilda advised. You are not going to change it.

Dec 26, 2011
Complaining is not exclusive to gringos. I've know some top-notch Dominican complainers, complaining incessantly about their country and their contemporaries. But as pointed out above, a gringo dare not comment for fear of being accused of having feelings of superiority.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
are you sure you didnt complain about anything when you were living in America ? lol

There is always something to complain about, otherwise you would never notice the good times

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Well, stay away from expats and just stick with your family and you'll be happy for evermore. :bunny:
Problem solved.

donP

I agree... you just need new friends!!! You don't have to exclude expats though... just find better expats.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time; but you can never please all of the people all of the time".... "guess who"

There's nothing wrong with an occasional gripe... but it's best to hang with positive people.

GLASS HALF FULL .... GLASS HALF FULL... GLASS HALF FULL!!!!!!!!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
My husband and I have been traveling to Bavaro for the past few years. Seems like a nice community with lots of interesting people. We purchased property on our trips, made some nice friends, and as I am so close to retirement, I thought It would be a great idea to live here full time as I can be close to my mother and brothers.

. What seems strange to me is that it looked as if everyone was happyband enjoying the carlibbean life when I used to visit, but now everyone we meet is constantly complaining about life in Dominican Republic. Not just complaining but it seems that everyone has a story behind them, nwhich most of the time seems to me that it is just gossip.

I see it reflected on this board as well, people write comments and some other person jumps in with a nasty comment or some sort of insult.

I am beginning tobthink Bavaro is just not the ideal place for our retirement. If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening about how corrupt we are and what a mess this place is. Yes it may be, but why don't you just go back home to your organized country? Why live in misery?

Hola Maribel,
You should have Pichardo as a neighbor, he feels very positive about the DR and it's future prospects.
To me Bavaro is AI's and condos I have never felt a sense of community,
however I have never lived there only vacationed.
If one wants to live with expats Sosua or Las Terrenas has more feeling of community to my liking,
including Dominicans which for me is the most important aspect of the mix.
Of course you would not have the proximity to SD and family, and as a Dominican Sosua may be below your standards. The condo lifestyle in PC is a tradeoff, the artificial expat tropical get away.
Other than that live in a Dominican community as suggested by others.
To each his own. :)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The DR attracts a certain type of expat that are best avoided. This list is far from conclusive, and should not be taken to mean that all expats fall under any one of these categories-

1) The retired drunkard with money. An old survey mentioned in GQ magazine noted that over 70% of all expats are or become alcoholics once they have settled into their new country. They can be found sitting in some bar surrounded by other red-faced gringos complaining about Dominican women only wanting money, despite the consequences from hanging out almost exclusively with low-class, uneducated whores eluding them.

2) The retired drunkard with NO money. He'll always be looking to mooch off someone and never stops bothering others. Eventually he may try to scam you while in cahoots with local Dominicans just to get your money, either through a confidence scheme, an orchestrated break-in robbery or physical violence upon your person.

3) The crook on the lam. Respectable on the outside, but on the run from the law in their own country. A crook never changes his stripes-whatever he did to someone in his own country, once he gets comfortable he'll attempt to continue his actions in the DR.

4) The sexual deviant/serial trolloper. Anyone who is single has a right to a good time however they see fit if co-mingling with other consenting adults, but someone whose driving force for relocating to the DR is cheap and easy sex ain't someone you want to befriend. Some expats take it to the extreme and become the worst kind of perverts, all while attempting to maintain a facade of dignity and respect.

5) The extremists-anyone with extreme political/religious/racial views, whether it's to the far left or far right are better off given a wide berth. These people are probably the ones who are the most uptight and angriest of all the types of expats I've had the displeasure of meeting, despite the fact that they moved to "paradise" to be happy.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
Hi Maribel,
I lived within the latin commumity in Maimi for decades and leaned Spanish there. I was almost always responding to the Cubanos or Colombianos and all the rest of them that if it is so terrible in the USA why are you here? Why don't you go home? Saying the same to Gringos there in Bavaro would be just as valid, I'd think.
Der Fish

A Cuban guy from Guantanamo used to work for me. His mother was adorable and had a great sense of humor. If she wasn't forty years older I'd have married her. His wife? Couldn't open her mouth without complaining. He often reminded her of how back home they'd have to race home on their bike(no car) when it rained to put the buckets in place to catch the dripping water from the leaks in the rusty roof. She would smile and go right on complaining.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Give it time. You'll likely find more compatibility with gringos married to Dominicans (like yourself).

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The DR attracts a certain type of expat that are best avoided. This list is far from conclusive, and should not be taken to mean that all expats fall under any one of these categories-

1) The retired drunkard with money. An old survey mentioned in GQ magazine noted that over 70% of all expats are or become alcoholics once they have settled into their new country. They can be found sitting in some bar surrounded by other red-faced gringos complaining about Dominican women only wanting money, despite the consequences from hanging out almost exclusively with low-class, uneducated whores eluding them.

2) The retired drunkard with NO money. He'll always be looking to mooch off someone and never stops bothering others. Eventually he may try to scam you while in cahoots with local Dominicans just to get your money, either through a confidence scheme, an orchestrated break-in robbery or physical violence upon your person.

3) The crook on the lam. Respectable on the outside, but on the run from the law in their own country. A crook never changes his stripes-whatever he did to someone in his own country, once he gets comfortable he'll attempt to continue his actions in the DR.

4) The sexual deviant/serial trolloper. Anyone who is single has a right to a good time however they see fit if co-mingling with other consenting adults, but someone whose driving force for relocating to the DR is cheap and easy sex ain't someone you want to befriend. Some expats take it to the extreme and become the worst kind of perverts, all while attempting to maintain a facade of dignity and respect.

5) The extremists-anyone with extreme political/religious/racial views, whether it's to the far left or far right are better off given a wide berth. These people are probably the ones who are the most uptight and angriest of all the types of expats I've had the displeasure of meeting, despite the fact that they moved to "paradise" to be happy.

Interesting- Im glad to say I didnt fall into these categories... Would now be interesting to categorize the type of Dominican Expat is attracted to the USA

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I think a moderator just insulted us all

If the shoe fits--he certainly did. If it doesn't-- he clearly said it wasn't all inclusive, so I see no need to take offense.

I think it sums up the ones the op likely has encountered and is frustrated by.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A Cuban guy from Guantanamo used to work for me. His mother was adorable and had a great sense of humor. If she wasn't forty years older I'd have married her. His wife? Couldn't open her mouth without complaining. He often reminded her of how back home they'd have to race home on their bike(no car) when it rained to put the buckets in place to catch the dripping water from the leaks in the rusty roof. She would smile and go right on complaining.

Haha. My brother and his Cuban wife are currently in Havana for the next two years in his new gig in micro-financing and teaching Cubans about Capitalism at work. His wife is non-stop complaining about the filth, the rats, ...etc. Most of all she complains about the food, none of that Alberta beef in Cuba. I think that for Dominicans that have been gone from the island for 10 or more years find the adjustment as bad if not worse than us Gringos.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Mido, I am not saying we are all happy, but I dont know, I think some sort of respect is in order when you invite people to your home. I never went to anyones house in The u.s. to talk about how bad the americans are...all day long.

Just curious as to why evryone is here and so miserable.

And one of the reasons I spend as much time as I can inthe DR is exactly how happy and welcoming folks are when they visit you...or invite you to visit them....Dominicans are known for this hospitality and live and let live disposition. Humble people with big hearts...so my challenge when I move here will be weighing my options of where to live...but I will say reading Lindsays matilda blog, is alot closer to the attitude of an assimilated northerner than the petty crap that so often perks in "other" blogs. You do not move from western europe or the US because you expect politics, electricity, and services to be better in the DR.