Strange expat comminity in Bavaro

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Not all expats living in Bavaro/ Punta Cana are complainers. We are seasonal (winter) visitors and have met some really nice expats who are great to reconnect with every year. Don't give up, it may take some time to for your BS/complaint filter to work.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
The DR attracts a certain type of expat that are best avoided. This list is far from conclusive, and should not be taken to mean that all expats fall under any one of these categories-

1) The retired drunkard with money. An old survey mentioned in GQ magazine noted that over 70% of all expats are or become alcoholics once they have settled into their new country. They can be found sitting in some bar surrounded by other red-faced gringos complaining about Dominican women only wanting money, despite the consequences from hanging out almost exclusively with low-class, uneducated whores eluding them.

2) The retired drunkard with NO money. He'll always be looking to mooch off someone and never stops bothering others. Eventually he may try to scam you while in cahoots with local Dominicans just to get your money, either through a confidence scheme, an orchestrated break-in robbery or physical violence upon your person.

3) The crook on the lam. Respectable on the outside, but on the run from the law in their own country. A crook never changes his stripes-whatever he did to someone in his own country, once he gets comfortable he'll attempt to continue his actions in the DR.

4) The sexual deviant/serial trolloper. Anyone who is single has a right to a good time however they see fit if co-mingling with other consenting adults, but someone whose driving force for relocating to the DR is cheap and easy sex ain't someone you want to befriend. Some expats take it to the extreme and become the worst kind of perverts, all while attempting to maintain a facade of dignity and respect.

5) The extremists-anyone with extreme political/religious/racial views, whether it's to the far left or far right are better off given a wide berth. These people are probably the ones who are the most uptight and angriest of all the types of expats I've had the displeasure of meeting, despite the fact that they moved to "paradise" to be happy.

Banana Republic
Jimmy Buffett

Down to the Banana Republic
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated Americans
Hoping to find some fun

Some of them go for the sailn'
Called by the lure of the sea
Trying to find what is ailing
From living in the land of the free

Some of them are running from lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganga
Some are running from the IRS

And late at night you will find them
In the cheap hotels & bars
Hustling the senoritas while they dance beneath the stars

Spending those renegade pesos
On a bottle of rum & a lime
Singing, give me some words I can dance to
Or a melody that rhymes

First you learn the native customs
Soon a word of Spanish or two
But you know that you cannot trust them
Cause they know they can't trust you

Expatriated Americans feeling so all alone
Telling themselves the same lies
That they told themselves back home
Down to the Banana Republic things aren't as warm as they seem
When none of the natives are buying any second hand American dreams

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
If you live in a tourist and expat community, people there are likely to come across the worst sort of Dominicans - sankies and tigueres. Many but not all expats who live there, do so as they do not speak Spanish, and they want to be close to things which remind them of home, such as other expats who speak their language, international supermarkets, international restaurants etc. Many will be there for work which is based on the tourist or expat industry. And yes, many of them will dislike the Dominicans as they are surrounded by the worst type and they make no effort to get to know others nor the Dominican culture. Also some will have nothing better to do than gossip all day.

If you move to an area which is purely Dominican and no expats at all you won't find this. People are generally happier, less crime, and life is much more tranquil and calmer. But you will miss expat contact, speaking English, restaurants and international quality supermarkets.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

I lived in the expat/tourist area and now in a purely Dominican area. I much prefer the latter, but it doesn't stop me missing some things from the former. I understand why you don't like it, but why not try and help and offer to take the unhappy people who come to your home to meet some real genuine Dominicans and to let them see that not everyone here is bad. I am sure they would appreciate it.

Matilda
Always the voice of calm reason!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hi Maribel

If your husband is still looking for a friend to go out with then I am available. I am so lonely here in Bavaro so if you still live here drop me a DM..message and we can perhaps meet up.. I am a happy guy and love the Dominican Republic..Can speak in Spanish or English too... Hope to hear from you soon
Andy

for the love of god, this thread is from 2012, can't you start a new one instead of reviving corpses?
and the OP has not been active ever since her rant about oh-so-nasty-gringos.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I am a happy expat and live in Bavaro! :laugh:
But I am not a big fan of "communities", I prefer to mingle with everybody that comes along, of course there are exceptions like everywhere.

Off Topic (sorry!): Steve's Bar is closed :dead: ; now what? :cool:

Say what???? Steve's bar closed??? Since when? (Sorry about the veer off topic, but it is actually related because that is where some complainers are.)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Now I see. Ancient fck*&g thread. I agree why revive these. I always get fooled, don't notice the date : ) Thanks DV8.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Guinness is in short supply here in the DR especially Santiago

Well, I'm still a wannabe but will be in DR from August 15. However, I think the attitude you have encountered with some expats is universal, whether they're in their home country or in another country. I have found the best approach to these folks is to avoid them....god love 'em.

We are generally about as happy as we decide we will be. Is the beer bottle (Guinness only, please) half full, or is it half empty?

Acceptance, gratitude and a smile seem the best approach in life for me.

Oh, yes, and your dear hubby might also want to consider taking up Petanque - a wonderful French sport....it's a most wonderful pastime, often spent in the company of beautiful French and assorted others, with lots of camaraderie and bonhomie.

How lovely that you're returning to your home land. May you enjoy all the days of your life.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Give me some words I can dance to, or a melody that rhymes...

Think about it. :surprised:laugh:

[video=youtube;ausU6_kDnAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ausU6_kDnAg[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Steve's Bar" is open for "FUN".
Bigger & Better than "Evahhhhhhhhhhhh", the new owner is from "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaahston"!!!!
Check it out, VERY COLD BEERS!!!!
Even "Hotter",................................... Oh Oh, can't say that in this FORUM!!!!!
Just say "Picadera"!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
So many people get into the rut of complaining. Its important to find a good group of friends you enjoy and who are positive and fun and happy. They are out there.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Strange expat community?
One need not look too far, it aint just Bavaro sweetheart.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So many people get into the rut of complaining. Its important to find a good group of friends you enjoy and who are positive and fun and happy. They are out there.

YEAH,.....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ,..."OUT THERE"!!!!!!!
:alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC