Strip Searched at STI airport

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's odd , Dread - they say they're about to relax certain things - fluids , etc but then you haer about something like this.

In Toronto (July) i left something in my shirt pocket so I triggered the m/c ( In the Trusted Traveler line - called NEXUS in Canada).
They pulled me over went through everything and we removed the offending item before they passed me back through the scanner again.

I was clean as a whistle - the guy knew it.

Beeeeep... again !!

I look at him - perplexed .
He answers - 'Different this time. That's a random search.'

They just passed me through since I'd already been worked over.

As I said - it ain't perfect.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yeah, that's exactly what i mean. i would not want to be subjected to the strip search just to enter the states. and you know the immigration officer would be fully dressed and no kissing on the mouth involved. and on the way back, if i dared to fly to the states with all the contraband i carry on they'd just present me with a hazmat suit clad squat to exterminate me along with my polish sausages.

Apparently, this could happen on any flight LEAVING the DR.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
When I worked at POP, TSA regularly did audits for security and CESA jumped through hoops to comply, as did the US airlines and all handling companies as well as airport admin.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Absolutly great !!! Was chuffed because first time arriving at Sti....
First british airways say I need a visa..... long story.....
Will be boarding monday morning (hopefully), via miami for the first time...
Nervous weekend, fingers crossed, loads of luggage ( arghhh!! )
All I need now is a control like that as I arrive...

Ps: was "randomly" controled flying back from the uk last week...

May 5, 2007
Also perhaps she fit the profile or description of someone who they were looking for.

Supposedly the airline computer spits out a name on arbitrary schedule for secondary and even strip searches.

I didn't get hit with strip search but somehow got pulled out for TWO of those stupid random checks on both legs of a United flight from Vegas to Orlando What are the "random" chances of that?

wonder if it had anything to do with my very loud bitching about the United Agent refusing to issue my "guaranteed" upgrade?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I empathize, but at the same time you have to understand that unfortunately The DR has become a huge drug transit hub to Europe and The US and a lot of those drugs are taken inside and or taped to their bodies. If you travel frequently in//out of the country or come in for short stays you'll be stopped at a certain point, because most people don't do that.

I know that there is cocaine that goes out of here.. taped to bodies and heroin that is ingested.. but it isn't that what the dogs are for? (Although I have not seen dogs at SDQ departure)... And compared to the amount of drugs that are leaving here inside shipments of fruit etc.. as in 15% of the cocaine that is going to the US and Europe.. that can only be a really tiny percentage of the amount...

It would just be the perfect end of a vacation.. But I guess they do not do it to random tourists? Not to folks who were at AI hotels? Must be folks who go in and out often, as Suzaren suggested?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i was traveling last time i looked at the check-in crowd and asked myself, how many of those are carrying drugs? makes you wonder, really. mules are caught daily so they must travel daily, maybe even on every flight leaving DR...

as to those saying that a check like this could happen on any flight leaving DR, yes, i realize that. but i also realize that there are certain routes and destinations that have tougher security than others. i was stripped searched too, leaving tel aviv. but i did not make a big deal of of it, i did not feel humiliated or shocked. quite the contrary, it made a great holiday story. i understand the reality of air travel and national/international security.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Tel Aviv has a very very serious protocol when it comes to screening and profiling passengers, for obvious reasons
I do however wish those hot chicas at Santiago airport ,the ones with the blue tight uniform pants would search me. WOW

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Really makes flying a pleasure these days, doesn't it?

The seats gets smaller, the baggage allowance less, there is no food to speak of, I think they still give water, right?

but the SECURITY.. particularly going into the US.. THAT is just outrageous..

random strip searching? I have not read about that happening to returning to Americans...

bad enough that you have a full naked body scan and have to throw out any liquids.. can't transport perfume, etc.

I figure that it is lucky that I have seen the USA.

Funny you are talking about free water..
I took a flight few months ago, santo domingo to las vegas with spirit (worst company ever)...

During the flight i ask for some water, he comes back with a bottle of water and says to me its 3$... I told him just give me a glass of water, he reply saying the water is not free, its 3$ credit card only... Didnt have any credit card, i was kind of upset i mean wtf is that... He even told me "glass of ice is free if you want"

I was shocked, you would never see that with an Canadian airline, sometimes i didnt have credit card and they will give me a sandwich free or something.

I have travelled with different airlines from different country and by far the ones from the USA are the worst...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I also had a very bad experience for me in Dec 2012 in La Romana Airport.

In January 2011 I went for a vacation to Medellin in Colombia, A year after that trip after I passed by metals detectors in La Romana Airport while I was in line waitting they stamp my passport, a Lady come to me, and asked me, where are you Going? I answered, also asked where Do you Work, Where do you Live? what transport did you use to come to the airport? I answered, she checked the stamps, and asked me bedside mexico what other country did you travel? I said Colombia, but I saw that she was on the page that I had the stamps of the Colombia airport, and then She called a guy and Told him that I heard, He went to Colombia, sent him to make to check his luggage, I felt very Ungry and impotent, asking myself why she think every body that goes to Colombia is for Drugs?.

They made a test in my hands, belt, and shoes, stamped my borading ticket after that like 30 minutes waitting for them to bring my luggage, when finally came they took me to small rook, I opened it for them to search inse, and answering all the cuestions, then guy that was searching just said here there is nothing.

4 months after that I was traveling again using La Romana Airport, and cambe back to me the same lady, and asked are you the same guy I checked months ago, I told her yes on December 28, 2012. Where you told me that you live? and where is that you work? answered again, then she asked me, with the money that you earn you can travel a lot? then I said to her, I dont buy airlines tickets, she was surpriced and asked, no? who buy your tickets, then I said He buy my tickets, he is my boyfriend and we live together, so she was more supriced and asked him to see his passport and only said, ohhh I see you come to Dominican very often and start to make jokes and said, have a nice trip.

I know they can not be smiling to every body, but at least every body deserve respect, if they think some body has a profile, do not think for sure you are right, that is why Im always 3 hrs before at the aiport so if they want to check me, do it if they want, but they do not respect travelers. In my case the first time they checked me, they should just says is a random search.

The 2nd. time they checked me was in Punta Cana, I was coming back, was in line waitting to pass my luggage inside X-Ray machine, and they calledme to the table, and the first questiion was Are you Coming from Colombia, I said no, i came from the North, and gave them my passport. I said once againg they are Doing it. I opened my stuffs, they checked and that it.

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
I am so afraid of flying for those check ups, those people do what they want , disrespect and abuse other people.. is there no way to stand up n fight? are there no laws to defend a person... i've been searched, x rayed, asked lots of questions too..they make you feel like your the worst criminal.....
To my bf they have searched and literally dismantled his luggage only after having him detained 3 hrs for no reason and while he was enclosed in a small room the interrogated him and harrased him using 3 different guys... i just hoped i was a lawyer to file some lawsuits against ..Please there has to be some limit...!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you people are taking it the wrong way. why is it that i see being strip searched and questioned in good spirits? because i think it's fun. i have nothing to hide. i have done nothing wrong. i am happy to help and bend over. this is not a drama. random searches are the reality of today's travel. good. i'd rather be strip searched than blown to pieces. being polite, helpful and cheerful speeds things up. don't make fuss over such an unimportant thing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right D, in theory all this searching is supposed to be for benefit - to protect us from harm.

Like opening a bank account in Switzerland, the Channel Islands, etc- the verification and references and paperwork are cumbersome and frustrating - BUT, once in , you are a bit more assured that the bank is "clean".
Again, its meant as protection.

Oftentimes, its that attitude of the airport security personnel that trigger the bad reactions from the traveler - not the process itself.

The OP's case does sound extreme.

As to the La Romana 'repeat customer' , once you're flagged, you're flagged - get used to it.
Sad but true.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Oftentimes, its that attitude of the airport security personnel that trigger the bad reactions from the traveler - not the process itself.

What about the possibility that it could be the attitude of the traveller that triggers the bad reactions from the airport security personnel.....and not the process itself.
IMO, whining has become too much of a national pastime in the U.S.A. and that very same behavior is being emulated around the globe.
Again......
People insist that their government agencies keep them safe, but heaven forbid that they should have to bear any form of inconvenience.
Very, very tiresome and very childish also.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Saw an interview with the CEO of Spirit. He said he was going to go into McDonalds and order a filet mignon and then sue them if they wouldn't serve him one. It is strange that people cannot understand that for $100.00 less than any other flight out there they don't give nuthin free. Or you can think of it from the other side and call it a $100.00 drink of water. When I can get from Ft Lauderdale for $88.50 plus an outrageous charge for baggage I take it, when the nearest price is $380.00 with "FREE" checked baggage.
Der Fish

Exactly. I once swore off flying with Spirit but now I am a member of the $9 Fare club or whatever it's called. I check bags online for $20 and can fly STI - FLL for $100 and FLL - Niagara Falls for $31. Buy your water at the airport, they sell it there for the same $3.