teaching myself spanish!! Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
Oh by the way its a CD program, no writing or reading. But it includes the transcripts to what you heard so you can learn to read/write it.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nice!

NYC_Trini_Span said:
I have been self-teaching myself for the last few months with an excellent program called LearningSpanishLikeCrazy. Its common spanish not the formal usted but it does teach both, just emphasizes the tu forms more. After about 13 lessons i went to DR with my bro and sis-in-law and was good. I also did the 8 compact lesson of Pimsluer before that program. It was too formal but the money transactions it teaches you are invaluable.

Buena Suerte amigo.

Proxima mes soy volviendo a la Republica Dominicana por tres meses para aprender espanol.

Hope that was correct but i been doin ok. It helps that i teach ESL and get to use what i learn with my students.
It's very nice that you are learning spanish. Spanish and english dictionaries and watching spanish tv helps alot!.

Now, let me give you a nice lesson, for free or course, about what you just wrote in spanish. NOTE: it's not a put down, it's just to help you a little.

'El proximo mes volvere a la Republica Dominicana adonde estare por tres meses para aprender espanol'

Good luck and feel free to ask anything you want!.

wsj3

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for the great links...

I really found this information helpful.

Regards:
WSJ3
:)

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Congratulation for taking the first step. My advance is that tv can sometimes be very confusing and make beginners stressed because at first you won't understand very much. My advice is to surround yourself with as many spanish speaking friends and make sure you tell them to speak to you in spanish. If you don't understand something they say, have them try to explain in other words what they are trying to say. This is the method me teacher uses and although I don't understand everyword i can usually figure out what she is talking about. Also have them point out your gramatical mistakes and have them tell you what you should say in place of what you said.

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
miguel said:
It's very nice that you are learning spanish. Spanish and english dictionaries and watching spanish tv helps alot!.

Now, let me give you a nice lesson, for free or course, about what you just wrote in spanish. NOTE: it's not a put down, it's just to help you a little.

'El proximo mes volvere a la Republica Dominicana adonde estare por tres meses para aprender espanol'

Good luck and feel free to ask anything you want!.

Haha look at my original terrible spanish. Well here's the update. I moved to Sosua and began going to school using a book i purchased in NYC, that the school happened to use (Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses by Dorothy Devney).
Instead of 3 months, i stayed for 6!!! I also taught ESL on the side to make some $$ but i charged dirt cheap bcuz i really just wanted to help out and also learn.

To Miguel:
I just saw this reply so many months later, and i THANK YOU for the help. NOW i know what i REALLY wanted to say LOL:

"El mes que viene/El pr?ximo mes volver? a la Republica Dominica adonde estar? por seis meces para aprender espa?ol y ense?ar ?ngles."

I learned so much, no puedo creer todas las cosas que aprend? all?. Las palabras que eran dif?cil ahora son f?cil. Todav?a hay un chin chin palabras que no me pasa bien pero por lo menos no necesito un diccionario para conversar. Diache!!
Los dominicanos siempre pensaban que era Haitiano o Jamaiquino, especialmente cuando le habl? en espa?ol porque me dijeron americanos negros y blancos nunca pueden aprender espa?ol bien. No tengo mucho acento cuando hablo. Siempre usaba m? bandera de Trinidad y Tobago pero casi ninguna persona lo conocieron. De todos modos, m? viaje fue bien.

Gracias Miguel!!!

~Si como caminas, cocinas.... guardame un chin chin de con con LOLOLOLOL

Shaun
NYC_Trini_Span

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Sam said:
I have begun teaching myself spanish and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice to help me as i am struggling!!
The material I am using:
Spanish/english Dictionary
Practical Spanish Grammar : A Self-Teaching Guide (My main source of material)
A set of 20 tapes
Spanish short stories with english translation
and the internet with websites and forums like this one.
Is this enough? Can anyone suggest anything else?
I know of no one else who speaks spanish to make sure i am pronouncing words correctly or getting the word order correct but i really dont want to give up as i am determined to learn spanish! Am i going about it the right way and how difficult is it to self teach this language? If anyone else is in or has been in my situation and/or can offer some advice i would be very grateful!
Thanks in Advance
Sam
Hi sam in the same boat as you ive been using a free online service im finding it ok www.studyspanish.com give it a try and let me know how you're getting on

Status
Not open for further replies.