The 1%

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: not a monkey's bollock for the 'american dream' - give me the dominican drea

Originally posted by pasha \

let me rephrase with one additional word:

"this is when many conclude that the dream is a sham. they were granted immigration papers based on an education/profession yet they are unable to use it."

if that degree was sufficient to deem them more acceptable than the nanny standing behind them in the line at the consulate, then why is it worthless once they arrive here?

my apologies for confusing the taxi issue. where i am there is a licence plate issued to a registered vehicle in addition to the photo licence issued to the driver. photo licences are easy and inexpensive to obtain-legally. plates are restricted in number and very expensive to buy. you will rarely find the owner of a plate driving.

mob

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: My most profound apologies to Cmedina for my last post

pasha said:
It should've been addressed to samiam [sic?[. I just can't get these damn who-said-whats straight. So very sorry.

no problem at all

it happens to me all the time

as a matter of fact, I think I was guilty of it with my last post :confused:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Samian...

as far as American's being despised..I was responding to a post from someone else.

I did not meant to come off as a prick myself so excuse me for that. These debates sometimes can get the best of us.

I think we might have hijacked this thread!! lol

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: not a monkey's bollock for the 'american dream' - give me the dominican

mobrouser said:
let me rephrase with one additional word:

"this is when many conclude that the dream is a sham. they were granted immigration papers based on an education/profession yet they are unable to use it."

mob

I agree with you to an extent on this.

Let me tell you where I disgagre with you. Make believe you are thirsty. I tell you there is a natural spring with unlimited water to quench your thirst. The oly thing is that it is 2 miles away.

Now, you may be weary and near dehydfration. It is up to you whether or not you want to make it there.

My Point : you are granted a visa because you have the educational backgorund or have a profession that will allow you to live in the US.

Once you get here, it is your responsibility to make sure that you pass the requirements that the state mandates for you to practice your profession. Use a doctor as an example.

Many doctors come form other countries (including the DR) and practice here in the states because they made the effort to become certified.

I expect a doctor from the US to do the same of he goes to DR.
Cpmaplining that it is hard because of the language or any other excuse is not acceptable. This is the US and that is how it is here and other countries.

You don't just walk in here or any other country and say " I am a doctor and I am here to opne up this and that"

It happens all the time where people go to doctors that don't have the qualifications and you hear about all these botched operations.

I hope that all made sense lol

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
To cmedina07

NO need to excuse your self I did not think that you came out in any way.

I admit to sometimes being impulsive and skipping one or two posts in order to get to the end of the thread.

Oh well, as long as things get sorted out in the end I am fine with it! See ya around.;)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I am glad we cleared that up

now what is this 1% thread about?...lol

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
It refers to the 1% of people on this board who don't stoop to personal attacks, insults, and degrading comments to carry on a stimulating debate or discourse ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Its about the 1%

MaineGirl, I've been following this thread and just received a reuters news report that somehow speaks to both issues being discussed here - from a very strange perspective.

The idea is that somewhere, somehow in Russia, they've been using playing cards with the faces of American Politicians to educate their readership. A quote from this report: "We want to show our readers the various faces of the current U.S. political elite,...that it is a complex, living organism with varied and vivid personalities," said Azer Mursaliyev, foreign editor of the business daily Kommersant, which designed the cards."

Kinda a similar goal to yours in teaching your students. Moral of the story is that playing cards are in, and you simply cannot do without them as an educational tool ;)

Here is the report.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....D=3507791&src=eDialog/GetContent&section=news

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
MaineGirl said:
It refers to the 1% of people on this board who don't stoop to personal attacks, insults, and degrading comments to carry on a stimulating debate or discourse ;)

funny