The $50,000 Question

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Condoms

Escott said:
I am a retired graphic artist so can handle the logo but I elect Marco to do the marketing.

That's fine. I'll be prepared to contribute a few per cent. However if he has 51% he has control, doesn't he? I don't like that. By the way, I have no use for samples now and cannot test!!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Twit

Wales said:
That's fine. I'll be prepared to contribute a few per cent. However if he has 51% he has control, doesn't he? I don't like that. By the way, I have no use for samples now and cannot test!!

Remebmer I said silent partner. If you want controll, then you ask the questions and you put up the funds.

Thanks again to other posters for their help. Please keep the ideas comming.

Charlie

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Condoms

chuckuindy said:
Remebmer I said silent partner. If you want controll, then you ask the questions and you put up the funds.

Charlie

OK. I'll do the 51$ I have contacts in the latex industry in Malaysia who can and do make these things. I also know how to buy SECONDS. Think about it

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Condoms

chuckuindy said:
I am not so sure it would need a big ad campaign. Women on the street handing out small samples, with a $ value off of purchase. Remember we are talking cheap labor costs in the DR. Gear it for the real Dominican woman, ?specially formulated for your climate, your body, and your man?. ?Not for all women, but for all Dominican women.? ?Dark skin, but no more dark nights.? ?You will want to bathe in it, he will want to dip in it.?

I like this any more ideas?

Chuck,

Please IM me, I have some ideas that may be worth looking into on this subject. First question as I am not so lazy as to search memebers to find where you are from, but are you from the US?

(Sorry, that's PM me!)

Best,
Susie

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
chuckuindy said:

Charlie

High quality toilet paper

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
A good idea

KrackedKris said:
High quality toilet paper
The problem with it is that the raw materials to make it are not found in the DR. Thanks for your suggestion.

BTW If you have ever visited the Kimberly Clark plant in Jenks Oklahoma the process and speed they produce this product is incredable.

Charlie

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Starch

jsizemore said:
CanBamboo be used to make paper pulp?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to that. TP uses mostly a starch product base. The extraction process would be very expensive.

Charlie

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
chuckuindy said:
The problem with it is that the raw materials to make it are not found in the DR. Thanks for your suggestion.

BTW If you have ever visited the Kimberly Clark plant in Jenks Oklahoma the process and speed they produce this product is incredable.

Charlie

Would be nice to find some TP in the DR that doesn't 1: Stretch or 2: has splinters :-(

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
KrackedKris said:
Would be nice to find some TP in the DR that doesn't 1: Stretch or 2: has splinters :-(

Funny....I recall being in London back in '73 and using the public pay toilets in the underground...same type of splinter-type paper, only it was brown like a paper bag. Any Brittish care to comment on what THAT TP was made from????? I seem to remember each sheet being stamped with "Property of the Brittish Government", or UK, or something to that effect. :squareeye

Englishman

Nov 5, 2003
Turn yourself into a moneylender!

Apart from condoms and toilet paper, what is the thing here people need badly? of course is money
People here need money, and a large portion of Dominican people are loan-addicted. They don't analyze the interest rate, conditions, etc, they just want the money asap.
Check the phone book where it says "Financiamentos" or "Prestamos"; there is a large number of Finance House or simply people with money which lend money. Or in the "Clasificados" of every newspaper.
You know how?
They mortgage they property (land, house,cars), put your property papers in their safety box and wait the guy to come back in 30 days and pay a minimum of 5% monthly interest rate (but there are rates going up to 7-8% a month).
Yes, I said monthly.And then wait another 30 days for the next payment
What happens?
A big percentage of them is unable to pay a 60% interest rate per year and they default.
The moneylender don't care; he goes to Court with a well-known Lawyer and in an average time of 12-18 months put his hands on the property which is normally priced at least twice the money he lended, if not more.
I know people which are doing that and are very happy; just recently one of my Dominican friends which does this become the owner of a 1000 square meters land with a small house, palm trees, yucca, mangoes and aguacates located in Pantoja.
He throw out the borrower literally with the help of Police.
He lended 50.000 pesos and the property worth is 650.000 pesos.
Time frame between lending and throwing out? 15 months.
He is doing this since 5 years and he has been lucky with his customers (don't need to throw out many of them). he didn't told me how much money he is handling, he just told me that in 5 years he multiplied his money eight times...yes, he put 1 and now he has 8
And the worst thing, under a moral point of vue, is that it is true.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks

Englishman said:
Apart from condoms and toilet paper, what is the thing here people need badly? of course is money
People here need money, and a large portion of Dominican people are loan-addicted. They don't analyze the interest rate, conditions, etc, they just want the money asap.
Check the phone book where it says "Financiamentos" or "Prestamos"; there is a large number of Finance House or simply people with money which lend money. Or in the "Clasificados" of every newspaper.
You know how?
They mortgage they property (land, house,cars), put your property papers in their safety box and wait the guy to come back in 30 days and pay a minimum of 5% monthly interest rate (but there are rates going up to 7-8% a month).
Yes, I said monthly.And then wait another 30 days for the next payment
What happens?
A big percentage of them is unable to pay a 60% interest rate per year and they default.
The moneylender don't care; he goes to Court with a well-known Lawyer and in an average time of 12-18 months put his hands on the property which is normally priced at least twice the money he lended, if not more.
I know people which are doing that and are very happy; just recently one of my Dominican friends which does this become the owner of a 1000 square meters land with a small house, palm trees, yucca, mangoes and aguacates located in Pantoja.
He throw out the borrower literally with the help of Police.
He lended 50.000 pesos and the property worth is 650.000 pesos.
Time frame between lending and throwing out? 15 months.
He is doing this since 5 years and he has been lucky with his customers (don't need to throw out many of them). he didn't told me how much money he is handling, he just told me that in 5 years he multiplied his money eight times...yes, he put 1 and now he has 8
And the worst thing, under a moral point of vue, is that it is true.

I am very aware of this practice. It will make you tons of money in little time. The only problem is you have to have a Dominican front guy that understands the business and you can really trust. Additionally you need to turn the defaulted assets in a hurry. Even a small cambio in the DR can make good money on a relative small investment, if you can get traffic flow.

Finance is not my strong suite, and for some reason I have a distaste for most lawyers.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Charlie Ole Boy.....

Just start small...a few items and see how it goes. Don't invest a lot up front. You need time to learn how the game is played here. Very tricky. Take samples around to the retailers and see what they say. Establish some hard numbers. You want to import a little and see how customs is with you. Maybe do it a few times and that will give you a chance to meet people and maybe make a few good friends and then take your product on over to the retailers and see how it all plays out. I would want to be paid upon exchange...in the DR for sure.

I had a friend of mine. He invested in importing furniture. Had a dominican front guy....his good friend. Well, that good friend robbed him blind and my friend left the country. I remember in the beginning how confident he was.

I had another friend. They imported candies from Germany. He had a ton of business. Something like 300 accounts. But it was not enough money to warrant them staying here. So they loaded up and went back home to go back to work.

I would love to hear of any successful import business so please tell me your stories. If I could figure out that gig I would be game.

I know a guy...he has these little lotto booths...now he does not make much on just one lotto booth...but then he has something like 35 of them. That boy is bringing in the coins.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
First shippment

Thank you very much Snuffy for your advice. Yesterday I made my first shipment of goods to La Romana. It consisted of 100 brightly colored women?s blouses and 100 units of 4 color eye shadow. The blouses are as good as or better quality than anything I have seen in department stores in SD, La Romana or San Pedro. Their style will appeal to the 16 ? 30 year old Dominican woman. They are sporty and designed for everyday ware. All have labels that are advertised on American television which is seen in the DR.

The shipment was just under 50lbs., and cost $288USD for 3 -4 day delivery time. Total cost per blouse including shipping $3.94 each. My desire is that these retail for $595DOP each, or around $13.95USD. Now lets say that we will have to pay 20% in custom fees, although I think on we may be able to do it the Dominican way and save 10% or better, but for now we will use the 20% figure. We now have a cost basis of $4.72 per blouse. Remember at this time we have no overhead costs involved as this is a spare time project at this point.

The eye shadow cost us $.47USD, each and should retail for around $145DOP. Because I based my shipping costs for the eye shadow as ? of the $288 total costs there may not be enough margins to make this successful.

Please keep in mind that I do not wish to live in the DR, only visit for 5 ? 10 days, 8 ? 10 times per year. Also remember that this is total risk capital so I can take some chances.

I will let you know how we progress. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Charlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm really interested in how this takes off. Can we keep this thread focussed solely on this business venture, please? There are going to be so many useful lessons for others seeking to do similar things. We know you'll be totally straight, Chuck, in reporting the successes & failures as it progresses. Is your distribution network in place? Let us know what happens when the shipment reaches these shores......like a sort of business novella.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Small Potatoe

Lambada said:
I'm really interested in how this takes off. Can we keep this thread focussed solely on this business venture, please? There are going to be so many useful lessons for others seeking to do similar things. We know you'll be totally straight, Chuck, in reporting the successes & failures as it progresses. Is your distribution network in place? Let us know what happens when the shipment reaches these shores......like a sort of business novella.

No fun & games here, this is business. We know a few mom & pop retailers and that will be our market for now. Please keep in mind that this is my 1st attempt at something like this so I need all of the help I can get. I hope to report my successes here. Remember this is a small potatoe (potatoe, Indiana's own Dan Quale spelling) operation that we hope will grow. It is a 3-5 year project, if the money last that long.

Thanks again for your support.

Charlie

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Sorry again

veinard said:
Hello,
I don't know, whether the idea I launched under the thread "solar cell business in DR" could be something of interest for you. Indeed the approach is a very different one ... and supposed its feasibility would not work however right now, since it's a low volume business for rather wealthy customers or business people. Anyway, as the idea matures and the picture gets more clear, I would have in mind to really move to DR, to invest also my very own money in the same range like you of up to 50 k? ... to have an entering point through suitable VAR business based on a franchising license ...

Benny

NB: Maybe you can also have a look at the lower section of the posting in that thread I made on 23rd of June ?!
I have seen your post and think that solar energy is a good idea in the DR. Right now I would have no interests in this type of project because of the initial capital involved to do this right. Please also keep in mind that the poorer Dominicans can not afford this type of product and the ultra rich that I know in Casa de Campo and like places have there own pvt. power plants and are never with out power. They pay dearly for it but they can afford it. Also 20% to 30% of this nation?s power is stolen by customers who do not pay or reroute around meters.

I also believe that franchising in the DR would be more trouble that it is worth. Where are you going to find local investors who are willing to pay for a name, business plan and little more?

Thanks for your suggestion and good luck on your endeavors.

Charlie

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Keep Me Updated...

I admire your efforts. Even if you lose money initially...you gain in education and will do better next time. Charlie where are you located or where do you spend your time in DR....Santo Domingo?

So, you bought these blouses for like a $1.50 each? That is a great price for a brand name blouse. Is that normal for that kind of item? I was under the impression that a manufacturer would need to get a couple more dollars per item.

Business is tough. You of course have to factor in your overhead...gasoline, vehicle use, time...you gotta pay yourself.

I am very curious to know what percentage customs wants. My feeling is that a dominican with connections can get his product into the country much cheaper than you or I can. And he can sell his product cheaper to the retailer...who is taking a chance because product here does not move fast....you see a lot of old product on the rack.

Best of Luck