The Best Place to Buy Electronics in the DR

What are the best/most popular stores to buy electronics in the DR?

• ElectroLama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sirena

• Other Dominican brick and mortar stores

• Total voters

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I agree with your point about buying here.

In my case, I do not want to go out and drive around to shop for prices, fight traffic, save gas, lose hours each time, and still pay X^X for what I was looking for when I find it.

I find the item on Amazon, a couple of clicks, and it's on it's way to my house.

Domex delivers about a week later, and I end up paying X^X without having to leave the comfort of my home. Works for me.

I won't even mention buying NOS items on EBAY for much less than they cost in a store here.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
I would say that as long as you are buying a branded product from a brand you know, you're pretty safe wherever you buy it.
Disagree. I once bought falsificated inverter batteries (Trojan). Examples: GE stoves, tyres, Toyota brake pads, Sony receiver, Apple earphones, memory cards.

Alexander

Reactions: windeguy
Aug 31, 2011
Positive Information based on my personal experiences:
1. LG large refrigerator. Plaza Lama. First large purchase once I hit the island. No problems.
2. LG small refrigerator (Think 7 cu. ft.). Plaza Lama. No problems
3. Stove/Range do not remember the brand, Plaza Lama, it rusted out, was non functional when sold. But do not blame the appliance I blame the conditions the appliance had to operate under
4. 40" or 42" TV Sony Bavara, Plaza Lama, worst TV I have ever owned. Never to own a Sony ever again. Didn't last for 3 years. Could not get if fixed
5. Westinghouse 6 burner stove and oven, Plaza Lama, killer deal, still going strong, Hard to hit a temperature point in the stove. Had to buy a separate thermometer for that.
6 50" JVC HD smart TV, PriceSmart, excellent TV (note it is for the Latin American market)
7. 32" JVC HD smart TV, PriceSmart, excellent TV (note it is for the Latin American market)
8. White Westinghouse washing machine, Plaza Lama, excellent deal, one of the best washing machines I have ever owned.
9. HP inkjet printer, PriceSmart, other than being a inkjet (which I don't like) it has been a great printer. But I almost exclusively by HP printers. My history with them is they are like a combination of a tank and the energizer bunny. I have rarely replaced them and I have never had to get on repaired. I just buy new ones for new locations.
10. Samsung 32" monitor, PriceSmart, best monitor I have ever owned, receives input from my Mac mini which I hand carried to the DR too many years ago.
11. I bought a iPhone XR (used) from somewhere (don't know where) as I did not procure it. I was the same priced used as I could find online in my country of origin. Best phone I have ever owned.
12. I have bought one chrome books here. PriceSmart. I had also bought the exact same one. Yes I said exact same one. For the exact same price. Two years before in my country of origin.
13. I have owned several hotspots here in the DR. Never a problem. All from Altice.
14. Just bought a stove, can't remember the brand, for my new office, I bought it from Corripo. Killer deal. Don't know if it works yet. Still need to hook up up.

I tried carrying a 32" TV with me in my luggage. That did not go well. TSA destroyed the screen doing the inspection.
Initially after moving here I shipped in a 32" TV without a problem.

I would never buy a laptop for myself here, unless is was a complete emergency.
I have bought a new Huawel cellphone (Altice) here, no problems. Even though I am a Apple person my android phone works perfectly and does what I need it to do. I use it for business. It was an emergency purchase and I wanted to give a the middle finger to the person who was the President of my country of origin at the time. That was a little over two years ago.

I ship most of my small items in. I use DOMEX now and I just pay the cost of shipping to get what I want. I just shipped in a Black and Decker 5 cup coffee maker. I paid just as much to ship it here as did for the coffee maker. But I like the brand Black and Decker. Just used it for the first time today. Works great.

Rant below:
In my opinion, people who moved to a island in the carribean should:
1. Pay the costs to buy it here
2. Import what you want

But do not complain.

No reason to complain. I have everything I could want or buy (Except Bourbon and good outdoor cooking supplies). And when I don't I just wait for my next trip to my country of origin and buy what I want and hand carry it. Brings me happiness. For those concerned with those types of things.

My experiences do not invalidate the experiences of anyone else.
They are my own.
Buy where you like
Spend your money how you like.

LOL!
I'm using a loaner Westinghouse - semi-automatic. Sure would like to have an automatic machine that doesn't have electronics, just Dials like the semi-automatic Westinghouse. Too many electronics for sale, and I only have a place for my machine outside in a shed next to the house.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Will never enter a Corripio store again. Recently bought a washer there. They were to install it in 10 days. 10 days passed and I started in on the customer service people. Was told over and over the technician is on his way. I myself couldn't simply hook up two hoses, hang a discharge hose in in a pipe and plug it in. Any of that would void the guarantee and I had purchased an additional two years. Right there in the contract. The last person I talked to said just install it myself, no problem. I read her the contract about voiding my guarantee again and asked her to read the invoice as well. I had been charged for installation. Told her I was bringing it back-have security ready I'm pretty pissed. Hung up and walked away from my phone. Picked it up a few minutes later and there were 5 missed calls from someone up the chain of command. Installation got done the next day. Two guys, five minutes. 23 days from when we purchased the washer. Nope, not again.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Will never enter a Corripio store again. Recently bought a washer there. They were to install it in 10 days. 10 days passed and I started in on the customer service people. Was told over and over the technician is on his way. I myself couldn't simply hook up two hoses, hang a discharge hose in in a pipe and plug it in. Any of that would void the guarantee and I had purchased an additional two years. Right there in the contract. The last person I talked to said just install it myself, no problem. I read her the contract about voiding my guarantee again and asked her to read the invoice as well. I had been charged for installation. Told her I was bringing it back-have security ready I'm pretty pissed. Hung up and walked away from my phone. Picked it up a few minutes later and there were 5 missed calls from someone up the chain of command. Installation got done the next day. Two guys, five minutes. 23 days from when we purchased the washer. Nope, not again.
This is the kind of feedback stores like this deserve.
Corripio deserves the bad press on this one.
FYI - that extended guarantee is worth less than the paper it is printed on

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm using a loaner Westinghouse - semi-automatic. Sure would like to have an automatic machine that doesn't have electronics, just Dials like the semi-automatic Westinghouse. Too many electronics for sale, and I only have a place for my machine outside in a shed next to the house.
The good thing about the ones that are electronic is that they can be reset if it quits working for some reason.
My GE washer/dryer went on the blitz, so I dug into it to find the part number of the card. I ordered it from www.searspartsdirect.com for less than a hundred bucks, then went on youtube to see a video on how to change it.
In the first video, a guy said "Before you get a new card, try resetting the old one."
Of course, that did the trick. I've reset it twice since then.
That was 12 years ago. I won't replace anything without searching for it on Youtube first. That has saved me a ton of money.
If anyone needs a control board for a GE..... I've got one for sale cheap.

Reactions: bob saunders