The boredom!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Here is a suggestion no one has mentioned yet....seeing as there is an apparent vast pool of immense intellect on these boards ;-) , why not try meeting some of its members? I'm sure you are bound to find some select individuals that can arouse and stimulate your cerebrum...

Heck with the right company I can have a blast shooting the breeze all day and be absolutely nowhere special. Like others have mentioned (in so many words) life is not a spectator sport...feel free to jump right in!

I was once in the Keys, at a fishing camp, playing a guitar concert singing to a wildly attentive audiance of 8 pelicans on pilings.. ok one guy in the back had to leave early but he did not disturb the others... and .. when I finished, bowed, to a hushed audiance, and was walking back to my cabin, a guy standing there said "You have a really good time all by yourself, don't you?"

And I said, "Who would want to be with anyone who did not have a good time all by themselves?"

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I was once in the Keys, at a fishing camp, playing a guitar concert singing to a wildly attentive audiance of 8 pelicans on pilings.. ok one guy in the back had to leave early but he did not disturb the others... and .. when I finished, bowed, to a hushed audiance, and was walking back to my cabin, a guy standing there said "You have a really good time all by yourself, don't you?"

And I said, "Who would want to be with anyone who did not have a good time all by themselves?"

MountainAnnie, you hit the nail on the head!!! If that is your starting point, it can only get better in the company of others!

To also give credit to LondonCalling's post, it is true that a sense of belonging created by integrating into a circle of friends or family makes ALL the difference in the world.

In retrospect I do this automatically because I am such an outwardly social person...it is second nature to me. I guess being half Dominican helps too right? :) To be fair though I have no family there and recently was my second trip to DR. In those two short trips I have established quite the circle of friends. I guess it's all in the approach...

PP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Well I am an extroverted hermit.. When I am with people I am wildly socialable.. and folks assume that I am an extrovert and spend lots of time with people... but in reality.. I enjoy spending most of my time alone.. talking with the voices in my head. jejejeje

I think that you have to be a self directed, self sufficient sort of person to relocate to a foreign country. You have to be content reading.. and walking about... and taking photographs in your mind.. and having imaginary conversations with absent friends.

Both my husband and my two brothers died so I have had lots of practice in sharing things with folks who are not here.. in OH,, look .. how much Gene // or David.. or Dickon.. would love this.. and sometimes it is as if they are just here with me...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And I only would watch birds in a rotisserie oven.

racer, as usual, you make my day. i must agree with Kdolo that there is very little in the way of intellectual stimulation. i meet Dominicans who, at least on paper, have the same level of formal education as i do, and, oftentimes, much more. a useful conversation can never get off the ground, because, in this beleagured land, politics is the Holy Grail. so, i sit in a group of people who will inevitably detour the conversation towards politics, or the Dominican Haitian nexus. personally, i am a music kind of guy. i also love high end stereo systems, which can play back recorded music with some degree of fidelity. high end stereo does not exist here. i saw better equipment in Puerto Rico in 1989 than i see here today. i blog on audio forums, and read entries from guys all over the caribbean. some guys from the Turks are masters of the art. here, it is an unknown. and, posters, please do not tell me that Bang and Olufsen opened a store in the capital. i am talking high end sonics, not aesthetics.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
personally, i am a music kind of guy. i also love high end stereo systems, which can play back recorded music with some degree of fidelity. high end stereo does not exist here. i saw better equipment in Puerto Rico in 1989 than i see here today. i blog on audio forums, and read entries from guys all over the caribbean. some guys from the Turks are masters of the art. here, it is an unknown. and, posters, please do not tell me that Bang and Olufsen opened a store in the capital. i am talking high end sonics, not aesthetics.

But did you really expect to find other audiophiles here?

Jan 3, 2003
Join a church. Pick them small and poor in the countryside. There are plenty of decent poor Dominicans there and you can become quickly absorbed into their world. They'll take you into their lives, their day to day routine lives which actually can be quite exciting. I have suggested this to many gringos who I met and felt just as bored.

I agree you need to fall into some social structure where you are integral component of the whole. You must become an essential element of said religious-social structure and I feel a small church in the countryside might just be the thing. You will be viewed as an interesting person since you are a foreigner. They'll look up to you and take care of you as far as security is concerned if you are the wholesome type.

I don't recommend clubs, discos, etc. The criminal element in the DR has increased to the point that foreigners in these areas are just asking to be robbed. I have seen it over and over again. They put themselves in places where they become targets and then complain why.

I know many here take issue with church involvement but in a nation like the DR the options are limited as expressed by the OP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
EverythingJeff asks

But did you really expect to find other audiophiles here?

i guess not. i was hoping against hope that since they are to be found just about everywhere else, i might find a few here. i guess not.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
All of the above are GREAT suggestions!!! How can anyone be bored with so many options?

If you are into water sports, you could take some kite sailing lessons ... maybe take lessons on sailing a boat. Fishing (deep sea?), snorkeling and more.

If you are into riding motorcycles, one of the members of DR1 has a business which gives wonderful tours of the island. You would meet good people and see places you normally would not see. Post here if that interests you and I am sure he will answer.

If you are a "technology" type of person, maybe check out getting an "amateur radio" operators license. Good skill to have during hurricane season, and you talk with the world when you get bored.

So many options!!!

:cool:

Hpluv

Feb 24, 2009
It is possible to be bored in the Dominican Republic.
I have been going there since 1986 except for one year. A few times, i went twice per year.
What do I do, when I feel bored? I find something else to do. I talk to people; residents and visitors.
Lately, I stay away from much of the night life. Last 8 years or so I spend a week at All-Inclusive resorts.
Like someone said earlier, I can have a great time alone so to me being 'bored' is a way of saying I want to do something different or the same thing differently.
First though, one must decide what they want to do. What makes them happy.

all is lost

Nov 18, 2006
Join a church. Pick them small and poor in the countryside. There are plenty of decent poor Dominicans there and you can become quickly absorbed into their world. They'll take you into their lives, their day to day routine lives which actually can be quite exciting. I have suggested this to many gringos who I met and felt just as bored.

I agree you need to fall into some social structure where you are integral component of the whole. You must become an essential element of said religious-social structure and I feel a small church in the countryside might just be the thing. You will be viewed as an interesting person since you are a foreigner. They'll look up to you and take care of you as far as security is concerned if you are the wholesome type.

I don't recommend clubs, discos, etc. The criminal element in the DR has increased to the point that foreigners in these areas are just asking to be robbed. I have seen it over and over again. They put themselves in places where they become targets and then complain why.

I know many here take issue with church involvement but in a nation like the DR the options are limited as expressed by the OP.

BORED STIFF this I can understand, after eating in all the resturants in town and finding them both wanting, I tryed the take aways, those two had the same menu. You can guess what that was.
Church, BTDT, my wifes family are 'christians' and forever having prayer meeting. i am no longer invited sence I told them I was Wican. Go figure, I invite them to my celebrations like Holloween.
Just now a neice showed a pic she got on face book, shows a guy that eats humans and it is said that people tryed to kill him but shooting, but the bullets didn't harm him. well with the pistol training here they we're lucking not to end up in his pot do to self inflicted wounds. This will replace both other topics for 2 days.
So politics are not a topic of conversation here, but garipotos (spelling not correct) shapeshifters are, that and hair products.b bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Oh sorry my head hit the keyboard.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com

Oh please. He isn't in the north or east coast where (according to ppl here) Dominicans are ANIMALS and incapable of functioning in the real world.

Here in the capital, unless you are fresh off the boat and ignorant, you can go to clubs and discos without a second thought. I go out ALL the time (at least twice a week) and the "worst" experience I had as police dogs coming into the bar i was in looking for drugs.

It continues to sadden me to see this attitude that all the people on this island are the same.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Well, O&C,, The OP is in SD, not the country side.. which is BTW now overrun with evangelical churches which sing very loudly and off key with huge amplifiers .. long into the nights and all day Sundays..

the problem with that is that a Church is NOT a social club.. it is a religious organization and the requirement is really that you BELIEVE. I tried for about a year to go to the Union...Church.. which holds services here in SD along with the Episcocal church every other week but I am a Quaker, and thus not a believer in creeds.. and then found that I could not stand and recite the Creed, could not take communion, etc, etc. They were very nice, of course, even suggested that I could sit in silence up in the balcony which I did for a time but they were making all that NOISE down below. So then I tried the Yogananda Group,, which certainly has meditation and I thought that would be good.. since there was indeed all Silence. but no.,. there were lots of readings from the Guru (and I Love Yogananda.. was profoundly influenced by him) and when they do get together for an entire day, they meditate for six hours.

One does not have the options that one has in the US.. of the Unitarians.. of Unity =there is Unity here but it is very Christian= .. and so.. really,unless the OP is going to have a CONVERSION experience.. which might be possible.. since we do have Mormons, and Buddhists, and Witnesses, and Theosophists.. and Baptists.. and the mere SEARCH could keep one going for a while--I assume that we also have a mosque although I do not know where.. anyway, yes, perhaps a search.. but to use it as a means for a social life.. especially to suggest a poor countryside church when the OP is looking for intelectual stimulations..

Plus the fact that sadly, many religious people are simply anti intellectual since .. well it is all spelled out for them in their one book, which ever one that is-

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Didn't read the thread but I have to say: boredom sets in when you don't have a real job routine in this country. When people come here to do nothing, alcoholism and boredom sets in quickly. Then you get engaged in behavior that will only bring you more problems Example: getting a chopa, a maid or even worse, a hooker pregnant. Then god help you. No matter where you go and if you are not involved in some project, a real job, hobby or something to keep you occupied through out the day, you will become bored anywhere. I work 5 days a week, then on weekends I live my life the way I see fit. I travel when i have free time and if I want to travel, I make free time. In my line of work, I get to see all sorts of folks in this country. I, often, still get bored but I have a real life here. I always find something to do. So no matter where you go, there you will be. It all depends on you. My next post will be from las vegas. See ya
AZB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
My god! The boredom! The stagnant city!

No. I mean where can one go to be with decent people, talking about interesting, non-repetitive things, and enjoying a beautiful day without having to resort to cheap PLDPRDPRSC jokes or unoriginal observations about how "Nosotros los Dominicanos debemos/tenemos/hacemos/jodemos...."

I am going mad with boredom.

Stupid Wednesdays.

Go to a park bench or a spot along the malecon seawall. Bring a pint of rum with two cups. set a pack of Marlboros in plain sight (whether you smoke or not). Set up a chess board, take a sip of rum and start playing.

They will come. One of them might be me. I can fake an intelligent conversation and I don't care much about the local politics.

Another trick is to travel with a telescoping fishing rod. You don't have to catch a single fish to attract a good conversation, just be fishing.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Didn't read the thread but I have to say: boredom sets in when you don't have a real job routine in this country. When people come here to do nothing, alcoholism and boredom sets in quickly. Then you get engaged in behavior that will only bring you more problems Example: getting a chopa, a maid or even worse, a hooker pregnant. Then god help you. No matter where you go and if you are not involved in some project, a real job, hobby or something to keep you occupied through out the day, you will become bored anywhere. I work 5 days a week, then on weekends I live my life the way I see fit. I travel when i have free time and if I want to travel, I make free time. In my line of work, I get to see all sorts of folks in this country. I, often, still get bored but I have a real life here. I always find something to do. So no matter where you go, there you will be. It all depends on you. My next post will be from las vegas. See ya
AZB

That is sound advice and simple put, and it applies almost where ever you go!