The Conflict Between Haiti and the Dominican Republic:

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
there is?

i don't see any conflict

sure, they may not be sitting around a fire holding hands...
but they aren't chasing each other around the neighbourhoods
with weapons either

for the most part they co exist much better than any society i've ever come across

the irish have thier issues (protesant/catholic)
the mexicans have thier gangs
the united states...well pick a state and work it from thier :)
in afghanastan/iraq they have thier tribal differences

there isn't a country without issues

as far as cohesiveness...the dominicans are in a class above others

DOMINICANUSA

Nov 19, 2007
Of course... your version is the right one and every one else is conspiring against the Dominicans.

Give me a break!

I gave you some critique and advice so that you can independently study this topic instead of parroting misinformation. Your reply makes no sense, feel free to show where I said I have a "version' of DR history and that said version is the right one.
As others have already pointed out, your 'version' was full of flaws and inaccuracies.

Hahaha!

May 31, 2012
Listen guys don?t believe everything you read most of it areusually PROPAGANDA, if you really want to learn about history, sometimes, it?sbest that you speak to a grand-parents or someone older. What Dominican andHaitian are you talk about? There?s a reason why they called it a MASSACRE! Andstop sugar coating it to make it sound like it was real. Furthermore Dessalines who wrote the Haitianconstitution made clear that the island is ?INDIVISIBLE? anyone with commonsense would know that the border is also invincible. And that?s where some of the propaganda comesin to play, some would like you to believe an action was taken to cause anevent but, a lot of time they forgot to mention or named who gave, sign, or executethe order. A lot of conspiracy is put in to play but, you won?t know about itat all!! OK, let?s look at this point of view, a lot of the presidents fromboth side of the nations that fled or assassinated, can we be sure that it was donefor one certain reason only?<o:p></o:p>
Let?s get real, the Spaniard NEVER really had control of theisland for more than a short period of time, even before the ?ESPAZA BOBA? theyhad lose their part of the island. With that being done, there?s no point ofthe 1697 Ryswick treaty, because that had nothing to do with the Haitian nationafter they won the revolutionary war against France who control the entireisland at that time. <o:p></o:p>

Hahaha!

May 31, 2012
You speak as if there was a physical war combat between Haitianand Dominican! You can?t possibly mean that the Dominican won their independentafter massacring 30,000 Haitian or more. <o:p></o:p>
And one other thing I do understand that a lot of Dominican claimtheir Indian background because of the fact most of them do resemble Indian, soit?s inherited. But, don?t be offended of Negro blood-line, after all a lot ofblack blood shed for this island you all live on. Indian people are notconsidered white either.<o:p></o:p>
Even Trujillo was half Haitian, he really didn?t do anyfavor by doing what was done to the Haitian back then, and all he did was add insultto injury. If wanting to have a white nation mean killing majority of the blacksand import a population whites, then, that?s just sad. <o:p></o:p>
Just because Haitian people inherited voodoo from their Africanancestors doesn?t mean it should hold against them. Even Indian people practicea lot of types of ceremonial dance and worshiping and other similar things but,no one ever judge them. Believe or not Haitian is not the only people who practicesvoodoo, there are a lot of them out there and they all know who they are.<o:p></o:p>
As far as Indian there was only about 4,000 thousand of themleft on the island after the Spaniard arrived. Most of the native were thrownin to large fire pit and burn; it didn?t matter if they were women or children.If any of them refuse slavery or convert to Christianity, they would have dieda slow death.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Whites. In fact the two countries merely coexist on this small island -- conflict arises almost every day between the two governments. These cultural differences may be at the root of the long-standing Haitian-Dominican conflict culminating in the murder of more than 25,000 Haitians in1937 by the Dominican dictator, Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molinas......
I for one do truly thank you for the Haitian perspective of the history of the Island, it’s good to see though an alternate view.

I wonder does anyone know if the accent that you find in different countries like parts of Cuba, Columbia and Nicaragua that seem to have the same accents as Dominicans is related to the fleeing of Dominicans from the Island during the white and mulatto cleansing by Haitian invaders.

I do not see that the US is rushing at all in Haiti.
The 1+ Billion dollars they voted through has not made it to Haiti yet - in fact I am not sure if it has actually been voted though completely……….
You are mistaken their is a rush, I work at the airport in Miami. Before the Earth quake you almost never saw a white American fly on a flight to Hati, now I’ll say ? are white.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I wonder does anyone know if the accent that you find in different countries like parts of Cuba, Columbia and Nicaragua that seem to have the same accents as Dominicans is related to the fleeing of Dominicans from the Island during the white and mulatto cleansing by Haitian invaders.

More likely their yola ran off course on the way to Puerto Rico whilst fleeing the oppression of their fellow Dominicans.

I do not see that the US is rushing at all in Haiti.
The 1+ Billion dollars they voted through has not made it to Haiti yet - in fact I am not sure if it has actually been voted though completely???

You are mistaken their is a rush, I work at the airport in Miami. Before the Earth quake you almost never saw a white American fly on a flight to Hati, now I?ll say ? are white.

Well he was talking about what he saw a year and a half ago, not what you see now.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I hear from guys in the business in Haiti that there are delays in starting many of the projects caused by the politicians not agreeing a prime minister convincingly.
But they have shifted a lot of the camps.

Personal opinion....

They are never going to build Jerusalem in Haiti as they would have you believe.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
I for one do truly thank you for the Haitian perspective of the history of the Island, it?s good to see though an alternate view.

You are mistaken their is a rush, I work at the airport in Miami. Before the Earth quake you almost never saw a white American fly on a flight to Hati, now I?ll say ? are white.

I flew to Port Au Prince recently from Miami. I was the only white person on the plane besides two mission types. And the flight was full. I would like to see the tourist industry come alive again in Haiti but that isn't the case yet. Certainly the mission types on expense accounts are a mixed blessing. The hotels/ restaurants catering to them have raised their rates sky high since the earthquake.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
AND... I mentioned how few white people were on the flight I took to Haiti only because it was reported here that 75 per cent of the flights from Miami to Haiti are now made up of white passengers! I am well aware that tourists come in all colors, too. I think anyone flying from Miami to Port Au Prince will find the vast majority of passengers to be (black) Haitian Americans. You may see some aid workers flying and see them at deluxe hotels. But chances are very good you will walk around Port Au Prince, Petionville, Cap Haitien etc and never run into anyone you will notice as non Haitian. That is just the truth, for what it is worth.

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
But chances are very good you will walk around Port Au Prince, Petionville, Cap Haitien etc and never run into anyone you will notice as non Haitian. That is just the truth, for what it is worth.

Us lighter-skinned expats travel in groups in PAP (including petionville), Cap Haitien, Jacmel, Leogane, and virtually everywhere else. We travel in terrified little groups, smiling nervously at the discontent locals as we try to buy two mangoes and one pineapple for less than 20 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I flew to Port Au Prince recently from Miami. I was the only white person on the plane besides two mission types. And the flight was full. I would like to see the tourist industry come alive again in Haiti but that isn't the case yet. Certainly the mission types on expense accounts are a mixed blessing. The hotels/ restaurants catering to them have raised their rates sky high since the earthquake.

Of course, their are exemptions but I do beg to differ, I?m on the jet bridge about every other day in the morning flight to PAP. I can assure you their has been a great shift on the demographics of the passengers, normally aid works and missionary?s at least in the morning flight.

Yes it would be great if they can get their act together in tourism or any industry the more prosperous the more we all win.

Alejandro Valentino

Jun 5, 2012
The issue with Haiti goes further back then 1937, and Trujillo killing 25,000 Haitians doesn't even come close to how many Dominicans Haitians killed over the course of 1821 - 1863, or the fact that Haitians declared Dominicans worst then slaves, and should be treated like animals during their rule. Trujillo had become tired of the constant invasion of Haiti into Dominican Territory attempting to conquer the DR. In 1938 Trujillo declared war on Haiti, killed 25,000 Haitians and establish the current border. When questioned by US journalist about the war and the killing of so many Haitians his response was very clear "Not even half of the Chicanos that you kill on the border between the USA and Mexico."

So my question to all you Americans your so quick to rally to Haiti's defense, where was the USA when the Dominicans needed them?

Oh yes you invaded us attempting to control the island, you constantly attempted to subjected us to Haitian rule and your current President has on more then one occasion attempted to discuss merging with Haiti to help the Haitians and that we should give citizenship to those 2 million illegal Haitians on our land. Hmmmm, the answer is NO, no to merger, no to citizenship to Haitians, when the USA gives citizenship to all the illegal immigrants then come talk to us Obama. Our constitution is clear, we are not the USA, and your laws don't apply to us in our country.

You could'nt have said it any better Miacol.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Us lighter-skinned expats travel in groups in PAP (including petionville), Cap Haitien, Jacmel, Leogane, and virtually everywhere else. We travel in terrified little groups, smiling nervously at the discontent locals as we try to buy two mangoes and one pineapple for less than 20 dollars.

That is sad to hear.
Up to the time I left, 18 months ago, I did not travel around terrified and mangoes were still a few gourds on the street. I certainly did not smile nervously at the locals.

Either something has changed or you guys are doing it all wrong....

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The conflict has more to do with social/economic issues rather than the color of the skin.

This is the reality between Haiti and the DR:

haiti-dominican%20border.jpg

HaitiDominicanRepublicBorder-1024x717.jpg

images

800px-haiti-deforestation.jpg

haiti-island-001.jpg

national-geographic.jpg

haiti201697ex.jpg

haiti202182ob.jpg

Haiti's capital city (even before the earthquake):

Haiti-19.jpg

What happened when their trees are not enough to produce the charcoal for their daily cooking:

The DR own forests are set on fire to get them...

hispaniolaamo2005077lrg0bh.jpg

You can actually see the track of how Haitians have taken a foothold in the DR from the map above, just follow the brown path from west to east...

The when you have a mass of people unable to even feed themselves as there are no jobs, food to go around and HOPE, they move to greener pastures to repeat the cycle:

6672457143_82c1de08f4_z.jpg

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I bet you that if the US or Canada faced the same issues as above as we do in the DR, getting called racists will be the least of your real problems...

The DR is host to the largest Haitian Diaspora in the known world. Home to their poorest migrants by virtue of survival instincts.

The DR have got to provide FREE healthcare to countless Haitians that are virtual walking health time bombs in our public hospitals. The DR can never eradicate health maladies that are non-existent in the developed world, due to the Haitian element on the other side.

We can stop and reduce poverty and extreme poverty at the average levels, because it never ends pouring into the country.

We can't do much of what others countries have done to rid themselves of many of the same problems that afflict them because at the end of the day we're only humans and unlike ICE in the US, we don't go to illegal aliens to raid their homes at any given time, their work places or when they call for police assistance.

But fear not! We've learned from our tutors that we must lose the human touch in favor of the mechanical numbers game. Let's brand and deport, report and criminalize, label and identify and lastly and not less importantly play the two faced approach of involving others in doing the dirty work for us.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I hate when ignorant people always mention the 1937 massacre of Haitians as the root of the conflict between Haitians, and Dominicans, yet never mention the various genocides, and massacres committed by Haitians on Dominican soild.

April 4th was the 207th annversarry of the massacre of Dominicans committed by Haitian troops under command of Jean Jacques Dessalines and Henri Cristophe. In 1804 two Haitian armies invaded the eastern part of the island at the time, the southern army comanded by Dessalines, and the norhern army commanded by Cristophe, both met at the city of Santo Domingo, were french troops, and Dominicans barricaded themselves, and held the Haitian troops for several months. Desalines desided to head back to Haiti, After hearing some rumors that french ships were headed to Port Prince, on his way back to Haiti Desalines killed, and slaved thousands of Dominicans, and burned several towns, and cities. The place he committed the most horrific atrocities was in the Cibao, he burner the cities of La Vega, Santiago, and Moca, the Cibaenos suffered the worst fate out of all the Dominicans, probably because the majority were pred European, which Dessalines associated with the french who oppressed his people for years. It is estimated that 10,000 Dominicans were executed at the hands of Haitian troops, this an frighning number considering that the Dominican population of the time didn't reached 80 thousand souls. Today, there is a huge controversy about a University donated by Dominican republic to Haiti, which was named after the criminal Jean Jaques Desalines. Considering my family has always lived in the Cibao, I'm sure some of my ancestors were victims of these events.

My great grandmother to this day still tells me stories of how her friend's grandmother escape the massacre by faking her death at one of the churches, and many other stories of this massacre. So this atrocity is ingrained in the minds of Dominicans, especially of my people Cibaenos, who were the ones who suffered the worst fate. I think this was the start of the grudge between these two Nations, prior to 1804 there was never an act of aggregation between both groups. Some even speculated that Trujillos decision to kill thousands of Haitians in 1937 was in part due to him being enraged by the stories of this massacre on Dominican territory.

Here's a good article about the massacre, I used google translate, so some stuff migh not make sense.

The massacre of Moca and Santiago

In the dramatic story "Memories of my departure from the island of Santo Domingo on April 28, 1805," the Dominican jurist Gaspar de Arredondo and Pichardo, it is revealed that forty (40) children were slaughtered in the church of Moca, and the bodies were found in the sanctuary, which is the space surrounding the altar of the church. This tragedy, unparalleled in the history of the island was part of the genocide that killed thousands of Dominicans, many of them beheaded and decapitated. This disaster also unprecedented in our history, was executed by the troops of General Henri Christophe of Haiti (Henry Christopher), who had his orders and led the hosts of Jean Jacques Dessalines who leave the Spanish side of the island during his abortive invasion of that bloody year of 1805.
Interested in this commentary highlight in particular the tragedy involving children brutally slaughtered Dominicans or kidnapped, imprisoned and driven on foot to Haiti. The massacre of 40 children in Moca is documented in the story of Gaspar de Arredondo and Pichardo1. In the work that is inserted into this same issue Alejandro Filled includes this paragraph in addition to terrifying and inexplicable is a very creepy episode:

On April 6, Christopher met all its troops in Santiago, beheaded in the cemetery male prisoners, among whom were the priest and 20 other priests Vasquez, set fire to the town and its five churches, and departed, taking as a herd 249 women, 430 girls and 318 boys, this number very high considering the relatively small population of these villages.

Note that in the description of the children slaughtered, only at the high altar of the church of Moca was 40, but this fact is only narrated by the author, were beheaded on the island are countless, as this action by order of Dessalines was carried out in many parts of the French territory of the island and thousands.

Interestingly, the relationship women, children who were brought from Santiago to Haiti "like sheep", because while women were 249, children numbered 748, is three times more children than women. Women, children of prisoners and dragged James to Haiti totaled 997 people, but this group was only leading from Santiago. There were credible reports of actions identified in Moca and Santiago but tells Filled by order of Henri Christophe "Monte Plata, San Pedro and Cotu? were reduced to ashes, and their inhabitants massacred or taken captive as animals, tied up and abused in amounts thousands into the territory of Haiti. "

That order of 900 vegans were dragged him to Santiago and were also torched San Francisco de Macoris, Moca, Puerto Plata and Montecristi. It is clear that when it says they were "dragged" 900 Santiago vegans as noted is that the number of people was taken as prisoners and all were on foot. So the 900 vegan driven, "dragged", must be added that were being "dragged" from Monte Plata, San Pedro, Cotu?, San Francisco and Moca, and those who were taken prisoner in Puerto Plata and Montecristi, and also "dragged" on foot to the distant territory of Haiti.
If each of these communities served as in Santiago, where men were slain and taken prisoners "dragged" women and children, it is reasonable to estimate that women and children "dragged" in the thousands. And as many prisoners beheaded would add a huge amount considering that in many cases, exceeded beheaded taken as prisoners walk into Haitian territory ...

This is an immeasurable tragedy before which, in connection with this work, two considerations should be referred, as indicated by the first authors cited, and the second would explain the emphasis, the particular interest in the slaughter and the conduct of children as prisoners, "dragged" with thirst and hunger walk to Haiti.
The first consideration is referred to the fact that Dessalines had to leave the place that had to Santo Domingo in 1805, a failure of great dimension to Haiti, equivalent to a major military defeat for the capital of the former Spanish colony, decisive importance in addition to its strategy, was occupied by the French army, which was the military objective a number of the Haitian army.
This adverse situation markedly antagonized Dessalines, who before leaving the site "did give the order to the commanders of the various conquered common to gather all the people and reduce them to prison, so that his first order for the mules trample them and other animals, to reach the Haitian side. "
In addition, under the latest instructions of several generals Dessalines left before leaving the site, "they pushed before them the rest of the people, animals and beasts ... reduced to ashes the towns, villages, farms and cities, brought devastation everywhere, iron and fire, and did not spare individuals but for S. M. to be taken as prisoners. "

This is important to note that part of the two quotes cited above was extracted from the War Diary Dessalines himself, so that, part confession, relay test, good law according to lawyers knowledgeable.

It should be noted that the invading army of Dessalines was formed more than twenty thousand soldiers, well equipped with the best weapons of war of the moment in Europe, Haitians who had captured the army of Napoleon Bonaparte defeated in Saint-Domingue, ie in Haiti. As seen, those more than twenty thousand men were ordered, in their retreat, driving toward Haiti as prisoners to all the inhabitants Dominicans, "or the rest of them," those who stayed alive, because the male prisoners were terribly slaughtered without mercy.
If only James were "dragged" 249 women, 430 girls and 318 boys, as revealed by Alejandro Llenas, and La Vega 900 vegans, then we must infer that added the rest of the communities through which the army passed and were thousands.
Unfortunately there is no documentary evidence of the genocide in the South region, which was where he retired with a large army of his own Dessalines. There are only references in the text written by Gaspar de Arredondo and Pichardo about the horror that told the fugitives along the roads and the mountains came quickly to the Cibao fleeing from the territory of the South.
A second consideration I express here. Some historians hold the belief that the invasion of Dessalines was in response to a decree intemperate, typical of the war, the French General Ferrand Lois, who was then governor of the colony of Santo Domingo.

In his article "Invasion of Dessalines" Alexander Filled appointment well this decree of Ferrand, who was in response to a proclamation of Dessalines calling the inhabitants of the Spanish part of the island to surrender. But his unusual decree of January 6, 1805 March Ferrand authorizes the inhabitants and the Spanish authorities capture territory of the Republic of Haiti children 14 years of age to sell, as they did blacks at all, as common slaves.

Obviously the engine of immediate invasion of Dessalines was not this decree, but its contents must have caused the indignation of the Haitian authorities because the text message that amounted to a proposal to restore slavery, which had evidently been overcome with the proclamation of Independence of Haitians, which had been suppressed by the French Revolution also previous years.
The slaughter of 40 children on the altar of the church of Mocha and driving toward Haiti as prisoners of the 748 children in Santiago must be a clear message. These, as we said, are data that are documented, but no cases had to be unique. In other Dominican communities in which they hit the butcher known as Henri Christophe had been produced mass beheadings of innocent children for their own direct orders. One could say without being exaggerated, that this slaughter of Dessalines and his followers, surpassed the 10,000 executions throughout the country, a frightful sum taking into account the mass population of the time, but later the own Jean-Jacques Dessalines was assassinated , as their destiny, in the same way they killed their prisoners were ordered in 1806, his body was first beheaded and then furiously cut to pieces by his murderers. Dessalines was betrayed by his top aides Petion and Christopher who later divided the country and that he used with the same method used with the enemies.

But these actions, both of Dessalines as Trujillo's own are viewed from the historical and contemporary political mistakes that should not ever be repeated.
Many close friends of the Dominican dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo indicated that he liked to listen to stories of Dominican historians to this fact and their views on the attitude of Dessalines, remaining always stupefied by such stories, some even claim that the decision of the killing of 1937, was intimately linked to a desired but wrong answer could partly avenge those facts, and give this form to the steep middle scale of hatred that still emphasized the early twentieth century the actions of Dessalines. Although very safe, these statements can hardly be tested because Trujillo was careful not to leave written documentation on such sensitive events.

Original article in Spanish.
EL DEGUELLO DE MOCA Y PARTE DE LA ISLA…EL HOLOCAUSTO M?S GRANDE DE LA HISPANIOLA DESDE LOS INDIOS ? La Venda Transparente de Raifi Genao

deguelle-de-moca.jpg

For the Spanish speakers interested, you can get a first person account of this massacre from the memoirs of Gaspar de Arredondo HISTORIA DE MI SALIDA DE LA ISLA DE SANTO DOMINGO EL 28 DE ABRIL DE 1805*

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
BTW, the actual number of Haitians that were killed in 1937 was not 25,000 but rather around 6,000. For some reason (political, no doubt), the estimates have been continually inflated every decade since then. The highest I've seen was 50,000; that's probably 5 times the actual Haitian migrant population in 1937. lol

In any case, the Dominican government did paid reparations to the Haitian government and the latter accepted, albeit the relatives of the victims didn't see a cent since the Haitian politicians pocketed what was given.

We're still waiting for a Haitian apology for the massacres they did commit against the Dominicans starting in 1805 and ending with the last invasion attempt in the mid/late 1850s. Pe?a Batlle was right when he said that the DR had the longest war of independence in the history of the Americas.

Also, the Cibao region was not the only area that faced the massacre of Dessalines/Henry Christophe in 1805, it was all over the Dominican territory. Mr. Arredondo y Pichardo mentioned that days before the butchering took place in Santiago and in Moca, among other neighboring towns, a few people from the southern region arrived, frantically warning local residents of the massacres that were committed in places like B?nica, Hincha (today Hinche and now its part of Haiti, that area and as far into current Haitian territory as San Rafael de Atalaya was traditionally Dominican territory) and San Juan de la Maguana, among other places.

It was horrible what was done to innocent people of all colors. According to the accounts, the Haitian soldiers would tell the town people that they were pardoned. That, in essence, caused people to be filled with joy and the local priests would celebrate a mass, usually in the Plaza Mayor (most Plaza Mayor are now Parque Duarte's with some exception, as in the Capital, which today is Parque Col?n in the Colonial Zone -although the Capital was spared in all invasion attempts-.) At some moment while the masses were taking place, the butchering started with machete and bayonets. Even the children were massacred and many that survived were later forced to trek all the way to Cap Haitien, many dying along the way.

Who knows what many of them faced over there.

Anyway, not once has there been a hint of forgiveness on the part of Haitian authorities. They prefer for Dominicans to just forget about those events, but I would like to see an official closure to that, like the Dominican government did when Trujillo committed the massacre in 1937. I don't expect reparations, but a letter on behalf of the Haitian people, at the very least.

The massacre of 1805 and the other invasions is the root behind the historical fear Dominicans have had towards all things Haitian.

Car

Jun 8, 2012
I read most of the pro DR post and I can conclude that at 95% they all hate Haitians and they don't want to deal with those people. What's the point of it? I can realize how DR people emphasize on the color side after years of indepedance. Where is the civilization? Of course color has great importance for DR people but not on the other side of the border, my experience showed me,Why? I met two guys from Haiti at the University UWI ( I studied Caribbean civilization), they knew they were mulatoes until they left Haiti because there it has no importance and my 5 months there to finish my coursework prove it, I saw black and lighter skin (the majority), mulatoes and white (minority) all were haitians ignoring their color and all claim one thing: the black root. I realize lots of caribbean people don't know their history and the europeans are trying to forge it to erase their wrongdoing. How come DR people think the have indegenous blood related while 73% of the population is mulatoes? Where is the civilization in the 21st century? More than 800 000 black, 28 000 mulatoes create a nation in the other border and the have no color issue. Why DR didn't want a unifying nation at the beginning? In the Haitian mind wherever he's on the island, he's at home because the island indivisible and the border invisible (first constitution). what about the treaty of Basle who gave the french the possession of the entire island and after, the Haitians were going to defeat the french? Was the Haitian revolution a fight between black against white? I dont think so,probably against a harmful system of slavery, because why thousands of civil white(lawyer, engeneer, doctor ect..) were allowed to stay after independance including white soldier who abandoned the french side to fight for the haitians in order to get a piece of land to live in the new world?? they hosted simon bolivar for months of preparation and was given arms, amunitions and soldiers to liberate latin america. I see hateness more on DR side, why? it had never had a war between the two nations. The Haitian goal was to having on nation on the nation, why DR didn?t want it. Why all these hateness? Europe made two wars: WW1 and WW2 not more than 60 years ago and millions of people died, now they unify,the eurozone, no boder, to live together. where the problem is??? I hope it's not a racial or historical problem, I hope it's just economic because of the haitian porverty, they have made lots of mess with their country, corruptions and things. Up to 1915 Haiti was good economically, what's explained the presence of the US their to drink some milk of the cow. I hope these two nations can forget history, race and economic condition in order to unit together to flourish the island. Peace and love guys, we're one caribbean people, bufalo soldiers, time to shake hands together to make peace in the world.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Car,

Care to explain why through out its history, Haiti has had so many racial wars and tensions? Lets ignore the war for independence, since the reason why it was race based and so bloody is obvious.

Mulatto vs Black, that has been the major issue in Haiti for centuries. In some ways, it could perhaps even be applied to the Dominican-Haitian conflict (the first mostly Mulatto and the latter mostly Black).

Racial tension is the main reason the Duvalier dictatorship was so horrible for the Haitian economy and development, since the Mulattoes, who has always been the majority among the managerial class, were heavily persecuted by the pro-Black Duvalier government. In the process, Haiti lost most of its intellectuals and much of its production, which caused them to go off a cliff from which they still haven't been able to lift out of. That's the only reason Haiti is so different from every other developing country in the America's.

Then explain why the DR has never had a single race based civil war/strife or even much racial or color based tensions.

Even Martinique, the only other Caribbean island that has traditionally and continues to be majority Mulatto, has had and continues to have more racial tension than the DR does. A few years ago they even had riots because the masses were not too happy that most big businesses on that island are owned by whites.

In Barbados many of the whites even felt the need to publicly ask for an apology to the black majority by marching through their capital with chains, as an act of forgiveness. Whites own most of the largest companies there too. That's a reflection of how high racial tensions are there.

In fact, that's the case in almost every Caribbean island, whites and the mixed race tends to dominate business.

In Jamaica racial tensions, while less than in other islands in the British Caribbean, were so high they practically expelled the Chinese community in the 1960s/70s, burning their businesses and killing any Chinese-looking people caught in the streets of Kingston.

Care to explain the incongruity between high racial tensions in the rest of the Caribbean and especially in Haiti vs the lack of such in the Dominican Republic, both in the past and present?

This should be interesting.