The Dominican or Dominicana

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So, technically, those calling the DR "The Dominican" should really say Santo Domingo. Those very same people that say "The Dominican" would never say "The Cuban" for Cuba or "The Haitian" for Haiti or "The French" for France or even "The Canadian" for Canada. It sounds wrong because it is, but with "The Dominican" is a wrong thing that through repetition many people have joined the bandwagon of sorts. I personally like Santo Domingo better. If rolls smoothly from the tongue, especially compared to Dominican Republic which in any language requires quite some effort to pronounce. Its also way too formal and way too long for such a small country.

Nice post, but are you not one of those that calls it "The Dominican"?

11-14-2003, 05:28 PM
A few month ago I read of a rich dominican farmer somewhere in the Cibao Valley, he was fed up with the Dominican Electrical Company (EDE's). He disconnected from the main electrical grid and is now illuminating his plantation and home through solar panels. The Dominican is perfect for Solar energy because the country lies south of the Tropic of Cancer (the most northern point the Sun rays beats down on a straight line). That means, that in Dominicana solar panels would be creating electricity even on a cloudy day due to the very strong sun that prevails there. That reminds me, People - if any of you that are reading this are planning to visit the DR, ALWAYS wear some sunblock with the highest SPF. The Sun rays will burn whether its sunny, cloudy, or if you are up in the cool mountains, the sun will still burn. I personally think that all of the buildings, light posts, and traffic lights should have their own little solar panel. I have seen some street lights in Florida that have solar panels that collect sun energy during the day, and at night its turned into light, and it last all night long. The only problem is that Solar Panels are expensive to buy and maintain.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
What are you talking about?! Dominicans call the RD the Dominican.
It may not be perfect grammar but it is commonly called the Dominican. Compare it to the word ain't. Remember when people used to get upset when anyone said ain't? They said ain't is not a word.It is not in the dictionary. Well, now it is in the dictionary....
And no Educated person will ever use it!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
And no Educated person would ever write an incomplete sentence beginning with a conjunction. Nope, ain't never gonna happen.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe Doms who hang out with gringos call the place 'The Doninican', when speaking in English. But I've been pondering for a few seconds on this and can safely say that I've never heard a native refer to La Republica as 'The Dominican', nor 'La Dominican'. That does not even roll off the tongue when speaking Spanish, it wouldn't sound right, and it's awkward.

But is it really worth all these posts, who cares. Call it what you want, it will not complsin.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Santo Domingo is most consistent as the USA is known as New York.

Ridiculous as it is, as we know if you are going to La Republica then people are generally not heading to the capital. If you tell me you're going to Santo Domingo then I expect you to know a thing or two about it. Yet the vast majority of people hate the capital and most only go there when they have to. Santo Domingo makes people sound as ignorant as those dumb foms who think Europe is in New York.

Jul 28, 2014
At the end of the day, who cares what gringos call it, this isn't exactly the United Nations sorting out what to put on the placard in front of their seat...