The DR and the Recession of 2008

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
You remind me of Puerto Ricans when I used to debate with them how the DR is doing better thsn PR and they said the contrary. One even aaid he felt insulted. lol Well, thst was then and the gap between DR and PR has been shrinking at a fast pace. PR has been and is doing worst than the USA, but the DR is going better thsn both.

Ricans, like the perpetually uninformed and naive people that they are (to not use the stronger terms that they merit) still are of the belief that Santo Domingo is still the backwater it used to be when Don Francisco visited it on 86':

And always get blown away when, instead, they finally visit and get to see this:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I once got the "I thought Santo Domingo was a small town" (pueblo was the word that they used) after seeing an aerial photo of SD and asking me what place is that. I simply left it at "you have no idea." lol He should had said that to a Capitaleño, it definitely wasn't going to be reduced to 4 words. lol

On the other hand, one of the neighbors of an aunt in Florida once took a cruise and one of the port-of-calls was La Romana (basically Casa de Campo) and she couldn't be quiet about how beautiful it was. It was the highlight of the cruise for her. As far as I know, that was the first and only time she has been to the DR.

A couple of years ago a cousin with his part Peruvian and part Puerto Rican wife went to the DR due to the emergency. He doesn't likes the DR much, so getting him to step on Dominican soil is quite something. I was shockec to hear he was going to the DR, but soon enough it was a family emergency and then it hit on me, "that's probably the only reason he would ever go to the DR", lol. His wife wanted to visit the DR for years, but her husband wouldn't step on the DR again. I suggested that despite they were in the country for an emergency, thry should take some time to visit certain places near the Santiago-Moca-La Vega triangle. Of all the places I suggested them, the one she liked the most was the view of the Vega Rewl from the Santo Cerro. They also went to Jarabacoa for a day. The point is that had I not suggested taking their minds off the problem (when there is nothing you can do and everything depends on the doctors, you can't spend every waking minute thinking about the issue), their entire trip to the DR (reluctant from him, first time for her) would had consisted of sleeping at the house and spending the full day, everyday in the clinic. Plus, everything ended badly and getting the body out of the DR back to the US (Florida) so he could be buried next to my aunt was another ordeal. I think it would had been too much stress. He was complaining of how slow things and disorganized are in the DR (it took like another week to get the bodu¡y out of the DR due to several beurocratic issues including the people that are suppose to do the back end in the government "losing the paperwork" already filled by them to start the process. Explaining everything that went down with that would fill an entire page of this thread.

Anyway, the visits to certain places had an effect beyond diverting their attention from the issue at least for part of the time and that is that his wife actually wants to go back to the DR and him, who never liked the DR at all, was even talking about returning but this time as a real vacation exploring the country and not as part of a family emergency. lol I had to go to the burial in Florida almost three weeks after he died becsuse he was not only my auncle-in-law, but also godfather of first communion and confirmation. He actually died not too far away from where he was born, despite he had been living in Florida since the late-90's. I asked them how was the coffee and it turns out that was the best coffee his wife ever had. I suggested Monte Real. The point of that is that Monte Real has a new customer. lol

The cemetery where they are buried is actually visible from the airplane when landing in Orlando from the south.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
So you are not answering any of the question (it is understood, you simply don't know), and yet blabbing away like the D>r doesn't have CEDIMAT, HOMS, Clínica Abreu and others. Yodu can't answer any of the questions regadibg how the USA is doing right now which started with you claiming the USA isn't doing worse than the DR and yet, hanging on to one more fallacy of yours. Typical of you. Perhaps thst's why moderators here talk about you and are keeping an eye on your postings vs most people who are not a problem? Oh well, that's beyonx the scope of a thread anout the Dominican economy and especially of the tangent started by you claiming the DR isn't doing better than the USA when it's.
I don't know if you are overly exited, drunk or becoming unhinged in your last posts.
Factually USA-CAN- ESP-ITA are all doing substantially better than DOM.
Regardless how you spin statistics.

However if this is your belief the DR is doing better, you have to live in DOM not USA.

As it is, the DOM is a developing country with a gross per capita income of USD hovering around 9,000- for those lucky enough to get it.
You may include poor infrastructure, electricity, water, roads, transport, sewage treatment, garbage collection, incompetent government agencies,
a very poor judicial structure, corruption, poor incompetent policing, poor educational system, illiteracy, corrupt lawyers, poor income and job opportunities......just to name a few talking points.

Your best hope yet is Abinader.

Hope to see you soon in US- EU or CAN, so you can do some on the ground research.

The effect of the recession, COVID, Russias Ukraine war, inflation, has resulted in all food staples and consumer goods, including construction and building supplies, as well as all imported goods with high DR duties being substantially more expensive in the DR.
Enjoy!

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't know if you are overly exited, drunk or becoming unhinged in your last posts.
Factually USA-CAN- ESP-ITA are all doing substantially better than DOM.
Regardless how you spin statistics.

However if this is your belief the DR is doing better, you have to live in DOM not USA.

As it is, the DOM is a developing country with a gross per capita income of USD hovering around 9,000- for those lucky enough to get it.
You may include poor infrastructure, electricity, water, roads, transport, sewage treatment, garbage collection, incompetent government agencies,
a very poor judicial structure, corruption, poor incompetent policing, poor educational system, illiteracy, corrupt lawyers, poor income and job opportunities......just to name a few talking points.

Your best hope yet is Abinader.

Hope to see you soon in US- EU or CAN, so you can do some on the ground research.

The effect of the recession, COVID, Russias Ukraine war, inflation, has resulted in all food staples and consumer goods, including construction and building supplies, as well as all imported goods with high DR duties being substantially more expensive in the DR.
Enjoy!
Right... :rolleyes:

How come none of you (yourself included) aren't able to contradict what is shown there? Talking nonesense? :unsure: