The Haitians built the DR

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Meredith,

thanks for the welcoming.

you ask: Who do you think allows the Haitians to come over the border illegally to work?

It's simple. It is the same thing that allows all those illegal immigrants to enter the US. 1 out of evry 5 trucks loads of Mexicans cross the border without getting caught.

People complain about it but who is going to take on the longs hours that they do for little money?

It is the world of Politics. I understand your point. We are all connected in this world in some form or another. you are right, the DR will allow certain Haitians to get in illegally because of the cheap labor. This is on a small scale compared to what i meant.

The point that I wanted to get across is that you will never see president Mejia get together with president Jean-Bertrand Aristide and sign some type of bill or agreement. It is not going to happen ina larger scale.

Let us also not forget the Antihaitianismo in Dominican Culture that still exist today. Haitians are not looked at very favorably in the DR and are treated as inferior which is not right.
ou are talking about a point of view that has existed way before the 16th century and will be virtually impossible to eliminate. The Dr never elected Gomez (RIP) to the presidency because he was black, he was clearly the more qualified candidate.

My point is that you will not see this happening in a larger scale, mainly because of Haiti's situation which only the US can help. Ultimately is is because of the Antihaitianismothat exist in the Dominican Culture.

cled

Jan 3, 2002
what a "short" short term memory we can have.....

I remember when my parents, siblings, and I where in a similar position to that of the haitians that are living in the DR now. In a story that is commom to many Dominicans, my parents over-stayed their tourist visas in the US and worked to bring us all here. I tend to agree that other countries use selective arguments to criticize the DR govt for its treatment/policies towards haitians. I also understand the amount of resources that Haitians consume in the DR. But I disagree that we should blindly send each one of them back and kind of think that Haiti doesn't exist. I believe that mutual cooperation will benefit both countries, even if Haiti is among the poorest nations in the planet today. What reason does the US have for having such close ties/cooperation with Mexico? We should be opened minded about this issue and remember that there are those of us that were wearing the shoes the haitians are wearing today.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Cled...

I do not suggest giving the Haitians our back. Unfortunately, you have to look at the big picture. DR is a country that is struggling in its own way. Do you expect the DR to supply Haitin with Aid when DR itself is in need of it? You need a bigger country to help them out. Haitians are people like any of us. However, ther are rules and laws that we mus obey. One of thing is entering foreign countries legally.

I remember coming to NYC when i was 3 years old. I also remember the stories of how my parents worked to jobs to bring my 3 others siblings along with myself here. My parents did not over stay thier visas, they obtained a permanent one which is the legal thing to do. What i am saying is that there are rule sto follow. I am not saying that they are always the best ones but they are better than no rules at all.

Are you suggesting that DR and for the most part every other country open its doors and let everyone in? Can you imagine the chaos.

The bottom line is that is someone wants to enter the US, they must show that they will not be a burden of the country and that they will follow rules and pay taxes.

What do you think that most illegal entries do when they are here. They work off the books which means they do not pay taxes and alot cheat the system bu obtaining aid such as welfare and so far while they still work.

I can go on forever. the same situation is in haiti. The DR will allow Haitians in that can prove that they will not be a burden on a country which is struggling themselves in many ways. Of course, as mentioned b4, those that do get in are the oesn that work for cheap.

It is not a matter of short memory, it is a matter of following the laws. Do you think that it makes me happy to see how much taxes I have to pay every time I get paid? well, do i stop paying taxes because of that? no.. same thing...tge law is the law and they are made to protect us.

I am not in favr of anyone going illegally to any country unless you flee because of fear for your life, which is the not the case.

thanks for your post

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Meredith

Australians are the last people who could talk about discrimination. Sure, you welcome every white immigrant you can muster to fill up the vast empty spaces of your deserted land, except you have no room for your "aborigenes" and your "dingos" anymore.

Why don't you stick with your business. You are too far away from DR to be messing around with Haitians.

TW

cled

Jan 3, 2002
cmedina07

I don't mean to imply that illegal imigration is acceptable (although it might seem that I am since I mentioned the method in which my parents came to the US).

Yes, there must be a balance that needs to be struck between imigration and the hosting country's situtation.

The point I was trying to get accrossed (and thus the title of my first post) is that some of us get blind sighted and try to implement a blanket policy without giving room for alternatives or looking at all the facts (I know, I know, that is life...). My family's reference I tried to use to bring the point home that the problems faced by others today were the problems faced by us yesterday....

One more thing, thanks for the very polite disagreement. As you might notice, I don't post much since some resort to personal attacks when in disagreement...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Cled..

I thank you also for your way of responding.

I actually like to hear from others who have a different opionion. It gives us all the opportunity to look at both sides.

The topic is a very hard one because there is no right and wrong. It's a matter of how life is like you stated.

Personal attacks will never gets us anywhere. However, respecting each others differences is the key to it all.

The fact is that this is not just an issue with haiti and DR, it's an international problem.

For example, I can understand what GOLo is trying to say although I would take a different approach. SOmetimes it is easier for us to be involved in other's affairs ans forget to look at what is going on under our nose. He feels that people may be giving comment about Dr when thier own country has the same issues.

I wecome any comments and opinions as long as we can apply it to any country, not only the DR and haiti situation which is not gooing to change because of what I have mentioned.

Mar 21, 2002
This sounds so dull it's almost clinical. I like personal attacks. It adds flavor and spice to an otherwise dull and drab thread. If you want to sound academic join the Mensa organization. Where's the fun in posting without attacking?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Psycology says that those that attack others are those that are insecure of themselves. making an attack brings them some sort of balance in their unstable life and mind.

the fun in posting wiithout attacking is that you can actually make a comment that is intelligent and not one that people think is coming out of your ass.

I doubt these forums were created to attack anyone. If you wanna attack someone, join the WWF or should I say the WWE. I am sure that Hulk Hogan or Ric flair will embrace you.

Isaac G

Jan 19, 2002
I want to revise my prior position!

This previous post of mine that was made QUITE SOMETIME AGO
should not be meant to reflect my current position on this
very complex and painful subject.

I am very curious why the need was felt to uproot this ancient post?

I wish not to engage in another hot debate on this issue as, I feel my knowledge on this topic is rather limited.

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
I searched through the archives for posts regarding Haitians thinking that I'd come upon a post like this; one that suggests political and historical reasons for the division between Haiti and DR without even hinting at an underlying prejudice that many Dominicans carry with them. I don't know if such prejudices were made stronger by past clashes between the two countries (though chances are they were) but I think that it has been long enough so that one can begin to either forgive or forget. I think that Dominicans are generally kind people, as many have said of them on this forum, but I also think that an old grudge is not reason enough to stop a country that's doing o.k. from helping its 'poorest nation in the world' neighbor. Also, a lot of Dominicans share religious beliefs that ask them to help the poor and to forgive their brothers, what makes Haitians unqualified for penance? A lot of Dominicans have a thing against Puerto Ricans too, but they're not poor nor are they sharing the same stretch of dirt.

Mar 21, 2002
Hey Criss you have gone nuts posting today. Why don't you do something for the poor of SD and leave the computer alone.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I do a lot for the "Poor" of Santo Domingo "O&C"

I provide "Leche",and "Pampers" for about half the teenage mothers in Los Mina,Cristo Rey,Capotillo,Villa Juana,La fe,and Sabana Perdida! Criss "Papi" Colon

arenas809

May 22, 2002
Ambiorix...

No comment about the hatianos...as far as the boricuas...they have a thing against us, and that's why we return it to them, I'm glad I'm from D.R. and not "Pobre" Rico...i've gotten into many fights here at school in Miami, boricuas being like show us your green card, that was your way here and vaina like that, all I have to say to them is show me your flag...I got one, where's yours?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not mine,"El Jefe",I,m just helping out!

I take care of my own! I just help out some deserving young mothers who are trying to make ends meet.They can be very appreciative to someone who takes an interest in their predicament.Criss Colon

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Golo....

Can you please re-word you statement. What do you mean, that I'm too far away from the DR to be messing around with Haitians? Stick with my own business, also can you please explain? Thanks.

P.S. I am not from Australia.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Meredith

Declare yourself. What are you. The last time we ran into each other you were a dingo. What goes??? Are you afraid?

TW