The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many of us have good stories to tell... but those are personal - in nature and location.

What good does it do to tell people what happened to you when it may not happen to them??

Example-
Jose was really nice to me when he repaid the loan I gave him.
What !! You lend money to people.... I would never do that.

I could go on... those with a better attitude get better reception....IMO

Sour faces beget sour faces in almost any culture.

I just had a terrible encounter yesterday in rural Ontario with some buffoon.
I didn't say much... just left his store without buying anything.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Quite a while back , we used to start 'feeling good' threads here....
tell us about the good things that happened to you.

Those threads came apart quickly when people jumped in to disagree.

We don't do it any more....

They only last about 2-3-4 posts before the grinch came along and ruined the party.

We tried a few times as I remember.

and to make you feel better,
most of the Dominicans I talk to don't like Sto Domingo any more than you do

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hopefully the OP is not basing his observations on Santo Domingo. There is so much more to the country than Santo Domingo.

Apr 7, 2014
Dear people,
I wrote my first post to forward my frustration. Perhaps its not polite, i was thinking several weeks if it makes sense to write this post.
I didn't want to perform trolling here or any other kind of provocation.

It's simply human, that if you're so strong disappointent, you want to share it. Sorry for that :-(

My biggest disappointment are the people. Not the garbage everywhere. 90% my interactions in important things are negative. It was a whole sequence of negative things. You cannot rely.

So with this post I'm still looking for positive things. Every person has different perspective, so I'm sure there are positive things.

I know from my culture what does it mean to sacrifice for someone else. Beeing helpful. I felt like stupid fu***r. Relations with Dominicans are "una via". The positive things flow only in one direction. From Gringo to Dominicans.
:-(
So you do get it?
Every other response was just a confirmation of what I wrote last nite. People cannot tell you how to supercede the issues because they have resigned themselves that these people are Losers. And thats not an offensive thing to say. They have been indoctrinated with mannerisms that ensure they will lose in any interaction with anyone else. There was even a thread here about the psychological behavior of the Win-Lose Paradigm and how they are so engaged in it that explaining the Win-Win Paradigm is akin to speaking a foreign language.
So they people here resign themselves to knowing these people are Losers and pick their engagements with them. And you can tell by the amount of time they spend online how interesting they think the domestic population is. Read all the comments they dont tell you how they deal with it, just that they drown it out and not let it bother them anymore. But that is a charade. No one spends a lifetime around proficient people and then tells you they find solace around incompetent people. The fact becomes this is a great place to do anything as long as you dont have to rely on the domestic population for anything other than a menial task. You can live like you would want to in Miami at a fraction of any labor cost. Foodstuff and techno gadgets can be shipped to you from the US.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

topek

Sep 11, 2016
While I can understand your disappointment and frustration , I don't understand why you are " still looking for positive things" from the people of this forum .
Because the world is not binary (black or white). I'm sure, there are positive things, this is why i still invest my time a try to reach them.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
If you do not mind me asking, where in the DR have you visited?

topek

Sep 11, 2016
Many of us have good stories to tell... but those are personal - in nature and location.
This is what i can fully understand. People dont want to share it.

What good does it do to tell people what happened to you when it may not happen to them??
I have also positive experience from DR. But so much disappointment.

Sour faces beget sour faces in almost any culture.
Thats not fair. As i wrote my attitude at the beginning was wery positive.
I like to smile to the people, i am open and give something from my side without waiting for getting something first.
My face got sour after MANY disappointments.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
topek... yes , we share good experiences but they are unique to our individual situations... not transportable/transferable.

You must find your own way... listen to the Commander.....

I don't want to infer your face is sour.... but perhaps more of an effort is needed to advance yourself....
just perhaps.... how can anybody speak for you.
That's how we do it.... we press on..... and don't com[plain.

Dig a bit deeper here.... understand how poor these people are
They see the world on TV etc but cannot leave - so few countries accept them unless on a visa they cannot possibly qualify for.
Trapped.....
Not a happy thing and it can lead to desperation.

I'm running out breath explaining it.....
and you keep asking for more.

The barrel is empty

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Santo Domingo IMO (I live in Santo Domingo) is not the best example of the DR. While it has it's good points, it is very chaotic. Just like most major cities. Punta Cana AI again IMO does not really represent the DR. While nice beaches, etc...being in a resort your more isolated. The North Coast, Santiago, Jarabacoa, Samana area,etc...would probably give you a better opportunity to have more positive experiences.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Topek
Try and do a search on DR1 for the threads about positive, good things. I am not good at searching and posting links. Otherwise I would do it for you. As WW said the threads quickly turned sour with naysayers.
It has been a while since I have lived in the DR. I lived in Santo Domingo and Jaun Dolio. I certainly had more positive than negative experiences.
I had great friends who helped me "learn the Dominican way". They took me grocery shopping, taught me Spanish, went dancing, and many other things. They were there for me in an instant if I needed them for anything. They did this freely without expectations.
Also, the Dominicans I knew were very clean. It amazed me when I saw them outside sweeping and washing the sidewalks in front of their houses on a daily basis. The inside of the houses were immaculate too. I did see a lot of garbage along side the roads which bothered me. At that time garbage pickup was not that good. In some poorer areas it still is not good.
I could go on and on but I think it still would not satisfy whatever answer you are looking for.
Do that search on the forum and you will find lot of good things mixed in with the bad.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
But i really cannot understand how the people feel good living within the trash?
Is it not more nice to live in a clean environment?
This is out of my understanding. How you can want to live like that?

Why you don't respect appointments and don't even call when you don't arrive?

You don't need money for above mentioned things. It's just your attitude. It's for free.

I understand your frustration but you are not in Europe. It depends who you are dealing with in the DR. I have had the same situation as you. If it is a problem with a business connection than make it plain to your appointment what you expect or agree on a time earlier than you want and maybe they will be on-time. As far as garbage. I agree it is very odd that DR citizens don't understand the problem however it starts at the top. If local, regional and federal gov. decide this is a priority than things will change. Unfortunatley in a third world country it is not at the top of the list. When I lived in Las Terrenas I would bring a garbage bag and go down the beach where I lived and pick up bottles, paper plates and other crap. My attitude is that this is my home and I need to take personal responsibilty. Sadly, most people think it's someone elses problem. The biggest offenders are unfortunately Dominicans. They don't believe in if you bring it in take it out. Instead they leave their garbage many times on the ground within site of a can. Is that being lazy or just they way they have been trained. I think it's a little of both. If the village of Las Terrenas had adequate garbage cans and better frequency of pickup the problem would be solved but they don't seem to want to spend the money on this. It seems it is hard for them to see keeping things clean will result in better comments from tourists which helps bring more people who will spend their money in LT. It is a catch 22 with Dominican politicians. Again, until the environment really becomes a priority little will change.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
While I disagree with most of your premises, I do agree with a couple. The first is the idea that if you are White then you are rich. So not true. The other is the trash in Santo Domingo. I just don't understand it. In Punta
Cana, no one throws trash in the streets. It is very clean there.

Apparently you have missed the very vibrant middle class in the DR. There are poor people but aren't there poor people in every county. I also find the Dominican people very friendly and eager to help.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Warts and all, I love it because it's different and I feel at home here. If I don't like something like the noise or trash, I just move along to another section or town. I always have in the back of my mind, nothing is permanent except for the 6 feet underground thing. Until that time, I adapt or I go back home permanently.

piratadominicana

Feb 9, 2017
Hola,
at the beginning I would like to tell you, i was thinking a lot about: "should i write this post or not?"
I decided YES, but still not sure if that was a good decission.

I'm not expat living in DR, i just visited the country and the city several times in last months and want to share my observations & experiences.

I'm disappointed, perhaps I was from the beginning too naive?
I was thinking "it's a poor country, but people are nice, helpfull, open"

IMPORTANT: To all my thesis here apply for MOST of the people in DR. Not for ALL. There are no general/100% rules which apply to all people in any country. It's about the trend. Even if i write "All Dominican" i mean "most" :)

1. In DR nobody is respecting appointments/agreements and your time.
Coming one hour later or not coming at all is usual in DR. You can not rely on anything. People don't even inform you, that they come later or don't come. All the simplest things which can be easily achieved in a good organized country takes sooo much time and effort in DR. On both sides: privat (friends & family) and on business/government. Dominicans don't respect you, agreements and your time. A kind of well learned helplessness.

You are right, we always say here is "island" time, the only thing Dominicans are on time for is Lunch!

2. Every white is a millionaire.
It doesn't matter where you are, what you buy, when they see a white person, it means automatically: "he is rich" so lets f**k him. He came to this country to serve as ATM. I'm European but come from not so rich country (Poland). Even in rich european countries there are people who have to survive for several hundred euros per month. If Dominicans see white people, the prices double or triple. Everyone tries to cheat on you.

Gringo tax, you'll never escape it, although learning Spanish will help reduce it considerably.

3. DR is dirty
It really doesn't cost any money to not throw away the garbage on the street in front of your house.
Do the Dominicans like to live within this garbage? They feel good? My mom was making jokes in Santo Domingo seeing on many cars "Christo vienne". She said: "yes, Jesus will come and first clean the streets here. You need for sure act of god to achieve that"

Some areas are super clean and tidy, if your experience is only of SD then yes, am afraid you are right, and you can see evidence of their untidy living on most beaches after a weekend or fiesta.

4. Plastic bag madness.
In every store (supermarket) you get thousands of plastic bags. Even a single bread will be packed in two plastic bags.
Why? What for? Additionall source of garbage. In Europe most of the people take their own bags from home going shopping or buy the bags in the shops.

This drives me crazy also, as well as when they tie up the bags so when unpacking it's a nightmare.

5. Dominicans are not helpfull
And it's not only about me, stupid white gringo. It's about how treat Dominicans each other (family & friends). Sacrifice for someone, help someone, think about someone is very rare. They simple don't care if they need to do a little effort. Passive and/or egoistic approach is very common.

Not true, a Dominican will always tell you yes, and try to be helpful, if their help is actually helpful or not is another matter, but it's the sentiment that counts.

6. Europeans (whites) are cold, distanced and cannot enjoy the life.
One of the most popular stereotypes in DR.
I would say in average polish people are less cold, less distanced than Dominicans and ARE HELPFULL. In my culture the HOSPITALITY is a big thing.
This is for me a basic to enjoy the life.

A lot of expats sadly are jaded and like to complain, but not all of us!

I could write more and longer :-/ Giving many other examples.

So, for me DR is poor because it is mentally poor. With such state of mind the country never will be nice place to live. I think in 1989 as my country (Poland) sent back Russians and Red Army, liberated after 45 years of communism occupation the GDP per capita was even higher in DR than in Poland (DR didn't have communism like Cuba). I've checked now GDP per capita and it's almost double higher in Poland than in DR. I know this comparision is not fair. There are thousand factors for economical development, but in my opinion is also connected to the "state of mind".

You are right that the mentality here is what hinders progress, Dominicans live for today, they'd rather see 100 usd today and screw you over than work hard for you for 1000 monthly for the rest of their life

As I wrote at the beginning. Beeing naive i was thinking "poor but good, helpful people with a great hospitality"
Unfortunately I was wrong.
Belive me or not, but my attitude was very positive and sympathy to the country was very high at the begininng.

I'm disappointent :-(

best regards
topek

Again, my responses of course do not cover all Dominicans, just the majority. My other half is also Polish, he would get angry and frustrated at everything you mentioned and more, I told him, either change your attitude or leave and don't come back, or you will kill yourself! He stayed, and while its been a huge learning curve for him, and sometimes he hates the place, in the end he still loves his island paradise! Dont lose faith, try other areas, and its normal to be annoyed, nowhere is perfect, if you want Polish life, you need to be in Poland, but when in Rome, you have to do as the Romans do! good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.