The new guy

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Do whatever makes you happy! You will be getting abusive responses by losers that wished they could afford to do the same thing and maybe even wish you would send them $US200 weekly, so they would have an easier time paying for their cigarettes, rum and crack putas for the week.
Whatever makes you happy dude!

hey!!!! watch it!!!! I don't smoke cigarettes!!!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Hello everyone

I am the new guy here I guess one can say.I am engaged to a dominican woman that resides in the city of santiago.We have been engaged for a long time now I am not in any rush to get married until I know for sure that this is what I want to do and the one I want to do this with.

I have a question about the true cost of living there in the dominican republic?We are not yet married for the reasons stated above.I send to her 200 us every week and she use this money for food and things in home she tells me.My first question,how much does food items cost there for a woman and child?It seems to me that 200 US a week is kind of steep for food.But I could be very wrong I am not afraid to admit my ignorance about this subject.I just need sound information before I start to make judgements.

If anyone cares to reply to this post I will greatly appreciate it thanks.

I think the BIGGER question is: WHY would you get "engaged" if you weren't sure you wanted to get married???? Unless my understanding of the definition is wrong, getting "ENGAGED" is what you do once you've decided that you DO want to marry someone, and they in turn, agree that they WANT to get married too!!! How much did you spend on the ring???

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I know, but a person posted about living off a grand per month decently, VERY decently and it is relative to the conversation.
Most of us realize, with MOST of the Dominican woman, it's all about the money, money, money. Living off of a grand per month, while paying rent and other expenses, is not a decent lifestyle in my world.

Maybe the $200 US weekly will keep his "fianc?" from straying. Certainly won't hurt. Why mess around with that guaranteed income?

If it makes you happy, SEND IT!!! :classic:

Yeah ... some guys in the states will spend (treat themselves) money on beer, cigarettes, a few movies, "designer coffee", that extra (large) pizza, and a large takeout Chinese order .... and there goes a couple hundred dollars for the week. If he wants to spend his money sending it to the DR, that's his business. He just wanted to check on "value" received ..... ;)

Dec 26, 2011
Scenario #1

He sends her 200$/wk because he feels like that's reasonable and he can afford to. She never asked for it.

Scenario #2

She asked him to send her 200$/wk. Worst that could happen is he could say no. Worth a shot, right? Turns out he said yes. Now he's thinking that's a lot for groceries for mother and baby for a week.

Which one resembles the OP?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you are sending her $200usd a week for just her and a child then she is either eating really, really well or putting half of that away into a money market fund. I am a little bit worried when you say you have been engaged for a while. Engaged in what? You financing her life style? The average DR worker makes the equivilent of around $6000usd per year. You are sending her $9600 a year. It seems to me she has found her SUGAR DADDY and all day sucker. Is this child yours? That would make a big difference in understanding your motivation for a women you say your are engaged to but really not sure you want to marry. In her case why buy the cow when you are already getting the milk for free? It's hard for me to make a determination of what you have gotten yourself into but honestly this happens often in the DR. Are you prepared to make a committment to move to Santiago at some point. If not, then I would consider ending this relationship. Walk away from Western Union and don't look back.

LTSteve

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not sure I get the whole "long distance g/f that I support" thing. Is it a g/f relationship? Is it a pay for play??? Why is anyone supporting a g/f when they are not there???? I understand the "gray zone" of spending money on a "g/f" -- dinners, shopping, gifts... whatever, when YOU'RE THERE, even when it's not a strictly "professional" arrangement as in paying for her "time" ... but when you're not there??? What's up with THAT???? NO WAY are you the "only one". If you have an apartment, you pay rent all the time, 'cause the apartment is yours even when you're not at home. If you visit a hotel, you pay the hotel for the time you are there, then the next guest arrives ... you don't pay for THEIR stay!!!

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Hello everyone

I am the new guy here I guess one can say.I am engaged to a dominican woman that resides in the city of santiago.We have been engaged for a long time now I am not in any rush to get married until I know for sure that this is what I want to do and the one I want to do this with.

I have a question about the true cost of living there in the dominican republic?We are not yet married for the reasons stated above.I send to her 200 us every week and she use this money for food and things in home she tells me.My first question,how much does food items cost there for a woman and child?It seems to me that 200 US a week is kind of steep for food.But I could be very wrong I am not afraid to admit my ignorance about this subject.I just need sound information before I start to make judgements.

If anyone cares to reply to this post I will greatly appreciate it thanks.

200 a week should be fine if you are there in person. Just don't be surprised to find out she is getting luxuries and has unnecessary expenses like Presidentes and letting family and friends use some of the money too. People work full time in schools and decent jobs and get 200 a month. People work full time as maids and get up to 100 a month and people in stores often get less than 200 a month. She is really taking advantage of her opportunity in you. I think you should be fine on 200 a week as long as the money is spent wisely. You will live like a middle class Dominican.

devdev

May 14, 2011
wow!!!~not to sound rude but omg ur crazy!!! I am Canadian and I live with my Dominican husband who makes 15,000 pesos a month. My mother owns the house so we r lucky we don't have to pay rent. I don't work yet because I have a 4 month old...but we live off of his money just fine.....food, internet, hydro, water, health insurance, doctors visits....and our grocery bill is more then an average Dominican I would say because I tend to like some of the things I am used to from back home lol...but I would say the majority of Dominicans eat plantains, rice, meat, salad, fruit and really don't spend to much on groceries...but that's just my opinion...sounds like ur being taken advantage of if u ask me...listen to the advice of the others on here....the majority of Dominican woman just want ur money and she probably has a husband who is also making use of the over-the-top amount of money u r sending her...why are u paying her way anyways???????

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
OMG.............
Another "lonely hearts club" thread?
Don't you guys EVER get bored with the same old, same old?
BTW, In case you haven't noticed, the OP is not very involved in the Q&A.
Hmmmmm.......
Sigh...
Don't get me wrong, I am not being judgmental here. I'm still battered and bruised :hurt: from an earlier post today.
Simply an observation....LOL.
If I'm not careful I'll end up :dead: instead of just battered and bruised :hurt:..........;)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am a foreigner, living here alone in the DR. Last week I cashed a check and received $4,090 RD in exchange. During the week I took taxis to and from work five days, a taxi a sixth day to/from a personal errand, picked up takeout food twice, ate out once, paid Business Mail for mail received, bought groceries for the week and paid a handyman to repair a pedestal fan in my apartment. I still have over $2000 RD left.

Granted, there is no baby needing formula or diapers (if the baby is that age) but you are sending her the equivalent of over $8000 pesos a week. What conclusions can you draw?

Dec 26, 2011
OMG.............
Another "lonely hearts club" thread?
Don't you guys EVER get bored with the same old, same old?
BTW, In case you haven't noticed, the OP is not very involved in the Q&A.
Hmmmmm.......
Sigh...
Don't get me wrong, I am not being judgmental here. I'm still battered and bruised :hurt: from an earlier post today.
Simply an observation....LOL.
If I'm not careful I'll end up :dead: instead of just battered and bruised :hurt:..........;)

Shake it off. You're cool.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
DR1 has "People" in Santiago.
"PM" some of them her phone #, or the address of the bar where she "Works".
They will "Check-Her-Out" for you.
At no charge!
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, answer a few questions.
How/where did you meet her,"Latin Lovelies" is my guess.
Did you have sex with her on "Day One"???
Do her finger nails look as if they were painted by "Leonardo DaVinci"?
Hair done up nice?
Drinks a little too much?
Has her "Brother's" clothes & shoes" stored for him in "YOUR" apartment????
Been to Curacao, Panama, Venezuela,or "El Suiso"?????
Has a "Sick Mother"???
If the answer is "SI!" marry her before "Tonto" does!!!!!
"Tonto" :p:laugh::lick::p:laugh::laugh:????????????????????????????
Now THAT makes sense!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DR1 has "People" in Santiago.
"PM" some of them her phone #, or the address of the bar where she "Works".
They will "Check-Her-Out" for you.
At no charge!
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, answer a few questions.
How/where did you meet her,"Latin Lovelies" is my guess.
Did you have sex with her on "Day One"???
Do her finger nails look as if they were painted by "Leonardo DaVinci"?
Hair done up nice?
Drinks a little too much?
Has her "Brother's" clothes & shoes" stored for him in "YOUR" apartment????
Been to Curacao, Panama, Venezuela,or "El Suiso"?????
Has a "Sick Mother"???
If the answer is "SI!" marry her before "Tonto" does!!!!!
"Tonto" :p:laugh::lick::p:laugh::laugh:????????????????????????????
Now THAT makes sense!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

does any of this ring a bell, OP? did she ever present you with a pharmacy prescription dated 1994, that she has to fill immediately, because abuela esta grave?

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
52 times 200 is $10,400.00 anually.
The OP is not chiming in, wonder why .....
If he suspects that she is unfaithful, he should hire a PI for a couple of months. Sounds like he could afford that easily.
Then he would have the proof of infidelity, or true "love."
Tonto That is my idea lol lol Billyrays PI.. For $500dls. My girl and her friends will find out everything about her..But dude there are good women here I got one..It is not her it is you..What women in a 3rd world country would not take the money..
I am not playing my girl takes 2000 pesos a week for everything food,gas for scooter saloon,ect...When I am not here..I live around Dominican people I can tell you the prices for everything she buys at the coner store..They do not eat steaks and make lasana..You will change her not to the good..

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
wow!!!~not to sound rude but omg ur crazy!!! I am Canadian and I live with my Dominican husband who makes 15,000 pesos a month. My mother owns the house so we r lucky we don't have to pay rent. I don't work yet because I have a 4 month old...but we live off of his money just fine.....food, internet, hydro, water, health insurance, doctors visits....and our grocery bill is more then an average Dominican I would say because I tend to like some of the things I am used to from back home lol...but I would say the majority of Dominicans eat plantains, rice, meat, salad, fruit and really don't spend to much on groceries...but that's just my opinion...sounds like ur being taken advantage of if u ask me...listen to the advice of the others on here....the majority of Dominican woman just want ur money and she probably has a husband who is also making use of the over-the-top amount of money u r sending her...why are u paying her way anyways???????

devdev is right on..Read and take in what she is saying about the cost and the foods dominicans eat they like those foods..

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I spend 10,000rd per week for food which is roughly $250. There are 6 people in my household (1 leaves on the weekends). And my kids will not eat knock off cereal, and still want EGGO waffles and DiGiorno pizza. But we eat Dominican lunch (some type ofm rice, beans, meat, salad, and tostones).
Like I said, that is for 6 people Monday-Friday, weekends usually eating out.
$200/week is way too much for a woman and a baby...in my opinion.

And that's all it is. My opinion. Good Luck.

SHALENA