The truth about the real estate in the DR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
IslandDreaming

If I remember correctly you we have a mutual friend in cobraboy and you have a home in La Vega. You should have contacted me to get some good people to help on your project. I would be glad to send Angel to your house to look at the issues to resolve any problems.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From what I've seen why people here in the DR get unqualified help is because:

1. The maestro or worker is family or a friend of family so references and example projects aren't investigated.
2. An engineer is used but references and example projects aren't investigated.
3. A maestro is hired but references and example projects aren't investigated.

Many people have had homes built here satisfactorily well. I expect a common theme would be that the people looked at various projects that maestro or engineer had worked on and talked to the owner to discuss issues they had such with the foundation settling and cracks appearing or faulty plumbing and wiring.

May 5, 2007
Two, construction here in the DR when done right(residential) are better built than 99% of the homes in the States, I don't know about Europe.

I was making references mostly to the structural.

Still you must have missed my qualifier "when done right".

Finally, a Dominican house built following the plans done by an engineer is stronger than most of the homes in the States from what I've seen.

Concrete has very little tensile strength but a great deal of compressive strength. The steel is the "reinforced" part of a "concrete reinforced" structure. Often times the failure of a concrete structure is either a concrete that has lost it's bond due to not enough cement or salt contamination or not enough rebar or it's not tied together properly.

With regard to the mixture of concrete and curing, the methodologies used here are the same as used in the States. Therefore, I expect that when we have a big earthquake that most of the concrete 1 and 2 story homes will make out ok. Not all, but most.
I believe you missed my point but it would interesting to ask him what percentage of homes are not structurally sound, notwithstanding inadequate plumbing or conduits.
I talked with my partner about the issue and he says in his 20 years of construction experience, which consists 50% of remodeling and 50% new that probably 20% of the homes he has worked had structural deficiencies.

A well done house here in the DR is put together using the same technique and materials that are used in the states other than the structural is in block and concrete.

Chip, you meander from stating "99% of the houses in the DR are better built than those in the states" to saying you are talking about structural soundness only to stating the "Same materials are used in the DR as in the States and 2 out of 10 Dominican homes have STRUCTUAL defects, unacceptable.

The same material are not used as they are not available in the DR. I even tried to import some basic fittings (Electrical, plumbing and hydraulic) that I could not find any place in the DR to no avail

I won't be foolish enough to argue that a properly built, or even an improperly built blockhouse is stronger than a wood frame three story 12 room house, by simple materials use it has to be

The statement the same methods of curing and using cement and concrete is also invalid, I personally watched thousands of dollars go down the drain because workmen didn't have the knowledge to simply wet curing cement thus losing half of the structural strength of the pad

Yes, your point of a square house built in the DR with block being stronger than a wood frame is valid, no your argument that Dominican builders use the same materials and methods is not in my personal experience. Blaming The workmen doesn't cut it, they use standard and accepted Dominican practices

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
RE in the DR generally offers very good value and there is every prospect of price rises as the economy grows. Better developments are built to very high standards in beatiful grounds. Solar free energy is available over most of the DR and property taxes are very low compared with other places in the Caribbean. Cost of living is very moderate. Actually over the island as a whole there are few abandoned developments. Of course in the World climate of very low interest rates property can make an excellent addition to a portfolio.

pi2
Hugely funny post there.

Banks aren't lending $$$ to purchase property in the DR or other developing nations, and only the mentally weak would take out a LoC to buy here.

Low interest rates are reflective of few accessing credit. Thge pump has been primed in both the US and Euro, and it ain't helping that much.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Chip, you meander from stating "99% of the houses in the DR are better built than those in the states" to saying you are talking about structural soundness only to stating the "Same materials are used in the DR as in the States and 2 out of 10 Dominican homes have STRUCTUAL defects, unacceptable.

The same material are not used as they are not available in the DR. I even tried to import some basic fittings (Electrical, plumbing and hydraulic) that I could not find any place in the DR to no avail

I won't be foolish enough to argue that a properly built, or even an improperly built blockhouse is stronger than a wood frame three story 12 room house, by simple materials use it has to be

The statement the same methods of curing and using cement and concrete is also invalid, I personally watched thousands of dollars go down the drain because workmen didn't have the knowledge to simply wet curing cement thus losing half of the structural strength of the pad

Yes, your point of a square house built in the DR with block being stronger than a wood frame is valid, no your argument that Dominican builders use the same materials and methods is not in my personal experience. Blaming The workmen doesn't cut it, they use standard and accepted Dominican practices
I think Chip means 99% of the structures HE builds are better. I can believe that. But that is just not an overall accurate statement.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Would you mind explaining you experience here in the DR in construction and also in the States?

With regard to concrete curing, I would have to disagree. I have posted specs here from American manufacturers that mirror what I've seen done here on more than one project. Furthermore, the standards here for concrete placement and curing are no different than what is to be found the in the FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction.

Also, a somewhat porous mixture of concrete doesn't mean it is prone to failure either. There are in facts specs for these types of concretes, air entrained and pervious concrete.

Finally, just because you had some dimwit maestro who didn't know the concrete needed to be maintained moist for the first 24 hours or so means he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I have to ask where was the responsible engineer of the project during the concrete pours?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Would you mind explaining you experience here in the DR in construction and also in the States?

With regard to concrete curing, I would have to disagree. I have posted specs here from American manufacturers that mirror what I've seen done here on more than one project. Furthermore, the standards here for concrete placement and curing are no different than what is to be found the in the FLORIDA
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction.

Also, a somewhat porous mixture of concrete doesn't mean it is prone to failure either. There are in facts specs for these types of concretes, air entrained and pervious concrete.
Chip, I see construction here all the time where workers just pour concrete and sand on the ground, and a few buckets of water. Same with the on-site mixing. Not enough aggregate? Just sift some local dirt and toss it in...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think Chip means 99% of the structures HE builds are better. I can believe that. But that is just not an overall accurate statement.

This is what I actually said:

Two, construction here in the DR when done right(residential) are better built than 99% of the homes in the States, I don't know about Europe.

I should win a prize for people taking my comments completely out of context.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I see construction here all the time where workers just pour concrete and sand on the ground, and a few buckets of water. Same with the on-site mixing. Not enough aggregate? Just sift some local dirt and toss it in...

Are you saying they are digging up dirt from some other area on the site or getting it from a dirt pile close by?

Still, what is done by a poor campesino wouldn't be done on a nice house here.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is what I actually said:

I should win a prize for people taking my comments completely out of context.
If you wanna play that game, 99% of the homes built in the US are better than in the DR..."IF DONE RIGHT."

Huge caveat there, Chip. I doubt 30% of "average" construction in the DR is even close to the "average" US standard.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Many gringos investing in DR - just got a new neigbor has purchased - US citizen.

Value for money is excellent in many developments in the DR

pi2

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
If you wanna play that game, 99% of the homes built in the US are better than in the DR..."IF DONE RIGHT."

Huge caveat there, Chip. I doubt 30% of "average" construction in the DR is even close to the "average" US standard.

Define better: material, design, architecture?
Define standard; this is vague: Plumbing vented property, electricity grounded, etc?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I already posted on here about my partners observations after working in construction for 20 years or so needless to say he wouldn't agree with your assertion.

BTW, he was trained by US engineers/missionaries so he knows what methods we use.

Also, talking with a fellow classmate who is an engineer and has been working over 10 years in construction says he believes the number of homes built correctly has to be more than 70% easily. This is close to what my partner Angel says.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Engineers here in the DR are taught standard engineering practices that are used worldwide. In fact from the little of what I've seen personally the textbooks are from US publishers translated in Spanish.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stop Wasting Your Time People!

Chip is following TWO of his MANY "Personal Agendas"!
FIRST:EVERYTHING in the DR,is AS GOOD,or usually,EVEN BETTER,than in the USA!
Second,he is "Trolling" for work!
"If ONLY you had used me,and my "Partner", everything would have been perfect!
"Dominican Building Codes",if they even exist,are like Dominican "Laws".
They are not enforced,regulated,verified,and can be "Bought",like EVERYTHING in the DR!
I actually built two additions on my house here in SD.Guess what,I burried conduits in the floor,and walls to carry,electric,cable TV,telephone,and internet.NOTHING had to be broken out,buried,and then cemented over.Boy did they "Bitch" about doing THAT!
"That's not how we do it!"
"You DO NOW!"
Made them do a "continuos pour" and rent a power "mixer" for the cement.We even used more "Cement", than water!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
pi dabadu comes from a different place...

alternate-universe-3.jpg

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009

I understood that different regions and countries, for that matter, had specific building standards..

For example, home built in the Eastern part of the US have different stardards and engineering practices than those in the Western part.

Florida homes are built to withstand hurricanes. However, this is not a consideration for houses in NY.

The same goes for DR. New development are said to be built to withstand seismic activities.

If you are referring to standard such as: foundation thickness and depth...

Simply to say one is better than the other without pointing out specifics does not make much sense...

Of course, I am neither an architect nor a construction engineer.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Chip is following TWO of his MANY "Personal Agendas"!
FIRST:EVERYTHING in the DR,is AS GOOD,or usually,EVEN BETTER,than in the USA!
Second,he is "Trolling" for work!
"If ONLY you had used me,and my "Partner", everything would have been perfect!
"Dominican Building Codes",if they even exist,are like Dominican "Laws".
They are not enforced,regulated,verified,and can be "Bought",like EVERYTHING in the DR!
I actually built two additions on my house here in SD.Guess what,I burried conduits in the floor,and walls to carry,electric,cable TV,telephone,and internet.NOTHING had to be broken out,buried,and then cemented over.Boy did they "Bitch" about doing THAT!
"That's not how we do it!"
"You DO NOW!"
Made them do a "continuos pour" and rent a power "mixer" for the cement.We even used more "Cement", than water!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That's how they wired my house - conduits foor and ceiling for electrical, phone, and cable. There plenty of things about Dominican construction methods I don't like, but my house is solid. There are building codes and standards but as you say , who pays attention to them. 99% of the construction workers don't. Our next construction is being built by one of Yris's former students who has been building in Spain for the past 10 years, and he did construction here prior to that. Besides knowing how to build correctly, he also stays on the jobsite - first there, last to leave. They may be few and far between but there are good builder in the DR.
I worked doing construction for 5 years before I joined the Military, mainly cement and brick work, so I remember a few things from my youth.