The Ugly Story Behind a Breakfast Meat - BBC Travel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have had some great tasting salami in the DR and others that I would be hard pressed to feed to my dog. The typical DR breakfast includes all the food groups. I think it is mostly gringos that eat this on a regular basis. This is certainly not a healthy or low calorie meal.

The only great tasting salami I have ever had in the DR came from Italy. :speechles

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This breakfast diet breads a society of fatties. Funny I had an American visitor years ago who typically spent his holidays in Asia.
He said the distinct difference between the poor from Asia and DR, DR poor are much fatter. Easy to see why the word "Mi Gordito" is a term of endearment here. For those who love the taste of the Salami here, I guess the taste of **** is an acquired taste. https://thegreenmangoblog.com/2012/...-said-since-the-dominican-fecal-salami-drama/

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nobody in my wife's immediate family eat either salami or pork, even at Christmas. It is either chicken or beef for them. I have seen street dogs refuse to eat salami and eat a pamper instead that is how terrible in can be. One of our teacher recently cut a salami open and found dead bugs in it...!
I have had some local breakfast type sausage that tasted and smelled heavenly. I by ham and cheese for the school twice a week, usually about 12 lbs and I see the salami being bought by the thousands. It is cheap.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Nobody in my wife's immediate family eat either salami or pork, even at Christmas. It is either chicken or beef for them. I have seen street dogs refuse to eat salami and eat a pamper instead that is how terrible in can be. One of our teacher recently cut a salami open and found dead bugs in it...!
I have had some local breakfast type sausage that tasted and smelled heavenly. I by ham and cheese for the school twice a week, usually about 12 lbs and I see the salami being bought by the thousands. It is cheap.

Hard to find real ham ( or any decent cold cuts ) here.
"Real" ham is the price of caviar in the supermarkets.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Does anyone know where lamb is sold. Goat if OK, but lamb chops. MMMMMM

Head over towards Haiti on the highway and they have goats hanging up at the roadside stands, buy half a carcass. I'll bet in Sosua Playero would have lamb chops. They have a lot of specialty things like that.

Aug 6, 2006
It is an interesting article. I would not call it an "ugly story" I was expecting an exposé of how Dominican salami is made.
It seems that every type of sausage one finds in the DR is available in Miami, and that Cubans also have a preference for overly salted greasy salami and mortadello over what is also sold here under the name "jamón dulce" which tastes better (to me, anyway) and has a lot less salt, and sells for the same price. I can eat this stuff, but only moronga (blood sausage) is worse.

Of course, it is a matter of taste.