They Cheated Us with the Saman? Highway

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes it is very e7xpensive especially from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas but it is mostly the tourist traffic that is paying for this. Locals on motor bikes don't have to pay the tolls. This was a really bad deal that was signed by the Hipollitio Government and they really didn't care about the long term ramifications. The road is a great asset to the DR. It cut the trip from Santo Dominigo to 3 hours where it use to take 6 hours or more. I will gladly pay the toll for the convenience. It is outrageous what is being charged on the Las Terrenas section of 27kms but you can always take the Sanchez mountain route if you don't want to pay it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I enter LT by the old route and exit the $$$$ route....

I find it a bit prettier that way and you get both views.........bay and ocean

Of course,saving 522 pesos counts too !!!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes it is very e7xpensive especially from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas but it is mostly the tourist traffic that is paying for this. Locals on motor bikes don't have to pay the tolls. This was a really bad deal that was signed by the Hipollitio Government and they really didn't care about the long term ramifications. The road is a great asset to the DR. It cut the trip from Santo Dominigo to 3 hours where it use to take 6 hours or more. I will gladly pay the toll for the convenience. It is outrageous what is being charged on the Las Terrenas section of 27kms but you can always take the Sanchez mountain route if you don't want to pay it.

I agree with all of that. The road is indeed an asset to the country and I am happy to pay the tolls on the stretch down south from Nagua but the stretch to Las Terrenas is ridiculously overpriced and hence very little used.