Ventura killed in car crash.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
From the pictures it looks like a single vehicle accident on a curve? Deja vu all over again. Kids, money and alcohol. Glad no others injured or killed. Now we have the funeral, the tears and tales of what a wonderful person who had their young life taken.
Another person who cannot handle success. The tragedy is that this will happen again and again. Major league sports teams have educational seminars to warn young athletes abut the dangers of sudden riches but you have to pay attention. No idea what will keep this from just repeating itself. Living the life in the DR.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
While driving I don't feel the tension because I am too busy being defensive but after I get home my shoulders and back are strung like piano strings. I am a fair fast driver and guys pass me like I'm standing still.
This coincides with the topic of "if people feel safe here". Feeling safe, doesn't always have to do with crime. I'll regress, because I can't go Off-Topic, or I will get another bad boy warning or quite possibly placed in The Cone of Silence once again.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
From the pictures it looks like a single vehicle accident on a curve? Deja vu all over again. Kids, money and alcohol. Glad no others injured or killed. Now we have the funeral, the tears and tales of what a wonderful person who had their young life taken.
Another person who cannot handle success. The tragedy is that this will happen again and again. Major league sports teams have educational seminars to warn young athletes abut the dangers of sudden riches but you have to pay attention. No idea what will keep this from just repeating itself. Living the life in the DR.
Zoom I wanted to dislike the post because yes, it's a sad statement, BUT, it's the truth. I had this conversation with a friend of mine this afternoon (A Dominican involved with Major League Baseball, as myself), and he stated the same as you. Today it was two young men. One 33 years old, the other 25. I say young men, because they are younger than me. There comes a point in time/life where people have to be responsible. One of these individuals lost his best friend to the same type of accident 18 months ago. I feel for the family, I truly do....but it's time for people to start being responsible.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I can't really respond in detail because the mods will likely delete the post but I know in the U.S. at least many people are involved with drunk driving accidents that have a very long history of getting caught while drinking and driving or even having had their license to drive taken away. The issue is stupidity, ignorance and immaturity. Again I would say this is not unique to Dominicans as I see the same behaviors in many different places.

The only reason I bring this up is because I read often on these threads how Dominicans are maligned for being the worst at x,y or z when it turns out the same issues exist in most other countries. Stupidity and immaturity exists everywhere not just the Dominican republic.
Correct you are sir, correct you are. On ALL points.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I can't really respond in detail because the mods will likely delete the post but I know in the U.S. at least many people are involved with drunk driving accidents that have a very long history of getting caught while drinking and driving or even having had their license to drive taken away. The issue is stupidity, ignorance and immaturity. Again I would say this is not unique to Dominicans as I see the same behaviors in many different places.

The only reason I bring this up is because I read often on these threads how Dominicans are maligned for being the worst at x,y or z when it turns out the same issues exist in most other countries. Stupidity and immaturity exists everywhere not just the Dominican republic.

Have you ever been here? Driven here? I don't disagree about some of what you say but I have driven in countries around the world and Dominican drivers are horrible. They not only don't know how to drive are are ignorant and not concerned with any other driver on the road. I often say, when asked, that Dominicans are nice "falta cuando manejando y el diablo entrarlos". (my bad Spanish after all these years). They SUCK as drivers. I don't complain about x, y or z, especially the y, but call a spade a spade. They are terrible, inconsiderate drivers and the acceptance of driving drunk off your mind is NOT so accepted in many other countries, i.e. the U.S. or Europe.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Look, I can't provide my credentials here, because every time I do....my posts get edited. I don't post my creds to brag, as I am a rather modest man, but I post them to provide an air of legitimacy as to what I am trying to say within the concept of an adult conversation within this forum.
With that said,
This afternoon I had this conversation with a friend of mind. Him...Dominican by birth, residing in another country I won't/can't mention here. Under contract for a profession that is directly related to this thread. Me? Well I'm SanPedroGringo.....why? because I'm a gringo in San Pedro de Macoris. Novel idea huh?
Unfortunately, this may be a cycle or pattern that is nowhere near coming to a close soon. Why? In my friend's opinion, most of these ballplayers grow up in very extreme, poverty ridden conditions. Anybody with any time here in the DR can understand this. Their only goal is to become a baseball player. Usually lacking male responsibility/support within their family...a father, a grandfather, an uncle, there is no male influence in the family to act as an advisor to the young man/men. A male counterpart who can share life experiences with him. They sign a professional baseball contract at the age of 16. They are now the richest person in the history of their family. Open up all the closed doors. Extended family. Friends they never knew they had. Women. Women. Women. And for anybody that was ever between the ages of 18-22, you know what is the number one thing on your mind. Hell, reading these forums, it continues on into your 30's-40's-50's-60's and beyond. Stay on topic. These young men progress in life, as young rich men, and want to "live the life". Live the life, that not only is NOT the norm here in the DR, but in most of the world. God bless them for the opportunity.....BUT................
And yes, that is a long but. What comes with it? These young men lack the experience, discipline, and responsibility to progress in life. They take their bonus money and buy some jacked up super vehicle, that is pretty impressive by US and European standards, but is a space shuttle here in the DR. With the roads here? Throw in the ultimate demon of alcohol......(hold on now, yes, I drink, but I don't drink and drive), alcohol/super charged vehicle/young man without experience/poor roads/maybe weather factors as well.....add in anything else you want to, but yes, sadly....it's a recipe for DISASTER. Nothing more/nothing less. If there was ever a time that any post of mine does not get deleted, I ask the mods to let it be this one. It took me a fair amount of time to type the truth. The truth as discussed between a SanPedroGringo and a Dominican born person who works abroad....and participates in the same profession as the two young men who lost their lives last night.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
And this is different from say the U.S. or many other countries how?

As bad as their driving habits are, Dominicans do not have a monopoly on stupid people continuing to be stupid when the get behind the wheel of a car. This happens everywhere. I would post some stats from other countries but I think that would cause the thought police here to delete the post so will refrain.

My concerns for driving in the DR are more the problems that will come about if one survives the accident in terms of dealing with the police and the court system. Accidents are unfortunately just that and outside of taking basic precautions if it's your day to be in an accident unfortunately their probably is not much you can do to avoid it. Of course basic precautions would include not drinking and driving.

BTW nice that you were at one time able to enjoy your beers and then drive yourself home...seems ironic given the topic of the thread.

Um, I would say they do; at least in caribbean countries.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sad very sad. For Marte it seems he was nearing the end of his playing career. Reports (newspaper) say he was out drinking and his "friends" tried to convince him not to drive. I have always thought some of these tragic incidents stem from the "it can't/won't happen to me" mindset. Both these players had seen what the consequences of drinking and driving are, just from previous athletes who met the same fate (as well as non-athletes). Really sad...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Actually I am in the DR roughly every six weeks and although I frequently have a taxi drive me I often do drive. Frequently cris-crossing the island in an ever expanding pattern from Bavaro to Monti Cristi.

I agree with the premise that their are a lot of bad drivers on the island but I disagree with the sentiment that this is something unique to Dominicans or has anything to do with the fact the people are Dominican. I know plenty of Dominicans that care just as much for their lives and the lives of their loved ones as any of us expats do. They despise those who drive unsafely in the country just like the rest of us do and many of them would think twice before enjoying their beers and then heading out for the drive home. They also drive reasonably and safely when they are on the road just like some of us do. At the same time I can tell you I don't know how many times I have been at an office function or some other type of gathering in the sates and have seen people that after a night of partying have the valet bring them their car key's and head off into the night fully expecting they will get home safely because they think their is something special about them that allows them to drive drunk and not get into an accident.

It's ignorance, stupidity and immaturity that causes the problem and this problem is everywhere. Has nothing to do with if one is a Dominican or not.

I disagree.  Someone in the US has a few beers too many and decides to drive home.  He knows the risks.  He knows it's illegal and he knows there's a cop on every street corner who could pull him over at any instant, then bam!  He loses his license and very probably loses his livelihood.

Not so in the DR.  Road cops (AMET) don't work nights, don't have equipment to test drunk drivers and frankly are not motivated enough to enforce the law.  Drivers can literally get away with murder in this country.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I know that here in the DR people like to take fotos/videos of accidents, etc... But as I was reading some of the reports I was rather "put off" by the fotos/videos that have been posted. I can't imagine as a parent/family member/friend what it must feel like to see those fotos/videos of my loved one/friend posted all over.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know that here in the DR people like to take fotos/videos of accidents, etc... But as I was reading some of the reports I was rather "put off" by the fotos/videos that have been posted. I can't imagine as a parent/family member/friend what it must feel like to see those fotos/videos of my loved one/friend posted all over.

it bothers you, because you were socialized in a different culture. in the DR, magazines like Sucesos were made to show gory photos on the front cover.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
If you going to drink don't drive. Many Dominicans believe that it won't happen to them, even those returning from the states. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Baseball is in the air.  We flew in Saturday from Philly, and Miakel Franco was across the aisle from me.  In front of me was a baseball scout coming in looking for talent.  Franco was very gracious, taking photos with the crew members, and when we landed he pulled down a shopping bag filled with fitted hats that he gave to a few guys 

When I first saw this news early yesterday, I was afraid it was him. 

RIP. 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Freqexpat "And this is different from say the U.S. or many other countries how?

As bad as their driving habits are, Dominicans do not have a monopoly on stupid people continuing to be stupid when the get behind the wheel of a car. This happens everywhere. I would post some stats from other countries but I think that would cause the thought police here to delete the post so will refrain".

Well, it looks like we both have our own opinions so let's look at facts, which you eluded to but didn't want to post.
The first below show the motor vehicle deaths per 100,000 for the D.R. at 29.3 and for the U.S. at 10.6, almost triple. (Source WHO). (D.R. ranked about 9th in the world for most dangerous).
The second ranks the D.R. 6th worst in the world and the U.S. 131st.
Almost like another world as opposed to another country.
Numbers don't have opinions and don't lie. feel free to find your own sources to dispute (if you have a lot of time on your hands).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Isn't that one of the curses of this twisted modern world we live in.  Why should a person who is particularly good at throwing, catching or hitting a small ball be rewarded and made into a multimillionaire?  To me it is obscene to watch a game of many team sports where the salaries of the combined team exceed the GDP of a small country.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Actually I am in the DR roughly every six weeks and although I frequently have a taxi drive me I often do drive. Frequently cris-crossing the island in an ever expanding pattern from Bavaro to Monti Cristi.

I agree with the premise that their are a lot of bad drivers on the island but I disagree with the sentiment that this is something unique to Dominicans or has anything to do with the fact the people are Dominican. I know plenty of Dominicans that care just as much for their lives and the lives of their loved ones as any of us expats do. They despise those who drive unsafely in the country just like the rest of us do and many of them would think twice before enjoying their beers and then heading out for the drive home. They also drive reasonably and safely when they are on the road just like some of us do. At the same time I can tell you I don't know how many times I have been at an office function or some other type of gathering in the sates and have seen people that after a night of partying have the valet bring them their car key's and head off into the night fully expecting they will get home safely because they think their is something special about them that allows them to drive drunk and not get into an accident.

It's ignorance, stupidity and immaturity that causes the problem and this problem is everywhere. Has nothing to do with if one is a Dominican or not.
Problem is there is not much law enforcement.

I get asked all the time if such-and-such is legal, usually crazy traffic. My response is rhetorical: "If a law is not enforced, does it exist."

Drinking and texting while driving is illegal in the DR. But who is there to enforce that law?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Isn't that one of the curses of this twisted modern world we live in.  Why should a person who is particularly good at throwing, catching or hitting a small ball be rewarded and made into a multimillionaire?  To me it is obscene to watch a game of many team sports where the salaries of the combined team exceed the GDP of a small country.
Because the market is willing to pay a lot to see them play.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

Because there is such a small amount of people in the world that can do what he does.