VOTE..Sankie forum: For better or worse?

Do you think the Sankie forum helps anyone?

• Help's me learn what a Sankie is and how to avoid one.

Votes: 39 30.2%
  • I was sankified, but thanks to this forum I have seen the light!

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • This forum is wonderful entertainment and nothing more!

Votes: 67 51.9%

• Total voters

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
what the F$@* are you talking about?

Girls go out of their way to get to know them?

Men try to get to know a girl for several weeks/months before trying to speak to a girl?

Don't make me use capitals! :pirate:

I was actually quite confused about those comments myself. How can a guy get to know a girl without speaking to her? And truely, I myself might have a sankie on my hands (but I'm not sure just yet) and I didn't go out of my way to get to know him, it was actually the other way around. If he is a sankie, he needs the money and needs me to get to know him more than I do so, I gotta say the sankie is usually the one to go out of his way at first.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
Oh and i guess i should have said you should definitely keep this one out of the clown bin! This is definitely real talk and to the unsuspecting, these guys seem very genuine and like they are truely interested in you and only you.

My story is that:

July past, I went to the DR for the first time. I had such a wonderful time. I noticed that not long after I stepped off the plane into the country I was getting lots of looks and attention from men. I didn't think much of it. I got to the resort and it was much the same. So the next morning after i got there, went to get some breakfast and this one guy was making eyes at me and stuff and when I went over to get served, he started trying to talk to me in Spanish of which I spoke pretty close to zero at the time. He asked me if I would meet up with him later on the beach just to talk and I did and we chatted it up (me with my spanish dictionary trying my best to understand him). These meetings went on for a couple of days. He kept asking me for a kiss and I kept telling him no, everyday. It went on so much that I started making fun of him and repeating it back to him, "Una besos, una besos..." Anyway, the day before the last day I was there, he said he was going back to his home town and invited me to go, which I declined. He came back the next day and brought me gifts (an Aventura CD, a necklace and a bracelet and a short note in broken english). I was all impressed because I didn't know he was going to do all this and thought it was so sweet of him to go spend his little bit of money on me. And I was all touched and thought that was really sweet of him to do this and started thinking, I might really like this guy. Of course he was already telling me how much he liked me and this, that and the third. So the last night, he invited me to a little bar off of the resort where there would be a little food and dancing. So I went. He bought me a meal and a drink, which I again thought was very sweet for the same reasons that I said before. We danced and I finally gave him that kiss that he had been asking me for for the past week or so. BUT NO MORE! I am NOT the type of girl that just goes around the world sleeping with men I hardly know. So we exchanged phone numbers and I gave him my address so he could write me a letter. That was almost three months ago and we have been talking every day since. He has put his mother on the phone to speak to me as well. He was doing really well, and he has said it doesn't matter whether we are together in the DR or if he comes to the states to live with me, as long as we're together. So you know, I'm trying not to be too sinical and I'm like alright, maybe this guy is for real, but of course I do have my reservations. So I agreed to go back and visit him in December of this year, and we've continued to talk. However last night, we were talking and he mentioned to me that he had something to tell me and said he didn't want me to get mad. Of course I'm starting to think the absolute worst (that he has some kind of disease or that he has some other shadiness going on). First he said he would tell me in December, but I'm like I am not about to wait 2 months to hear this so I press him. He finally says that he would like me to get him some Jordans and that he would give me the money for them. He said the Jordans in the DR are not that good, etc. I told him Jordans are a lot of money! He immediately starts to apologize and asks me am I mad at him, etc and tells me to forget that he asked me. I told him, I don't forget much and I won't forget that either. I hung up shortly after this exchange sort of baffled. I was confused because basically he said he didn't want money or anything like that and I told him the things that I had heard about Dominican people from reading this site and just conversations in general about people from other countries as well befriending westerners and then asking for money and stuff. And he would say in spanish basically that not all people are the same and so i would say ok, and give him the benefit of the doubt because the only money that I had ever put out where he was concerned was the money it costs me to speak to him on the phone or to send him the pics and letters I sent (that he never received because they were probably stolen in the mail).

So before this note gets any longer, I would just like to say that I don't plan to cut him just yet, but he also told me on Monday that his cousin was killed in a Moto accident. So if that leads him to ask me for money, he will definitely be cut off. The shoe thing is a definite red flag and a bit of a violation, but I won't cut him off just yet. I want to see where he's gonna go with this next. This trip in December should be interesting...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good for you for seeing the first red flag.

In my opinion you don't ask for something expensive when you just meet someone. A definite red flag. How many other girls is he asking to bring expensive things with a promise that he'll repaying them.

The normal process would be if you asked him what you could bring down on your next trip and the normal responds at this stage of the friendship should be. " I Don't want anything just you" ;) He must be young or still in training :laugh:

Keep your eyes and ears open and welcome to DR1

palomitamia

Nov 13, 2005
noticed the BIG red flag, well done!

try not to take it too serious,enjoy your trip in December and keep us posted;)

Palomita

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Very useful

I think sankie forums are very useful minus all the childish, snide remarks made to people's stories. I actually like reading the stories and responding like an adult to people's real life questions about someone's intentions. I actually have learned about sankies through this site, even though the whole sankie thing is known is Cuba too. But, I also learned a lot from a book that I mentioned before in a previous post by Denise Brennan called "What's Love Got to Do With It: Transnational Desires and Sex Tourism in the Dominican Republic". The title may be misleading, but it actually talks a lot about the DR's economic situation and how it connects to sex tourism. It was a great read, and I recommend it to anyone interested in the DR and understanding another aspect of the society. Even though the research that the author does only takes place in Sosua, it is an amazing book.

But anyway, back to the topic, again sankie forums are helpful and they would be perfect if we got rid of nonsense, insultive remarks to people.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
What I find to be veryin interesting is...

.... of hundreds of girls each season.
I'm getting bored.

m'frog

...that you have continued to subscribe to a forum that you consider to be boring and useless. If you feel that you have heard the story over and over and are so bored with what is being said here, why not unsubscribe and keep your comments to yourself. There are plenty of other people who have stories to tell about their experiences that may help someone else.. and seeing as that you have already seen it all and know all there is to know about sankies, then this is not really the place for you...this is a place for people who don't know yet.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
at the expense of possibly boring m'frog to death, I have a quick update of my story. Last night I spoke to my friend and asked him if he knew what a sankie was...of course he didn't. So i went on to tell him what i thought about him asking me for shoes and how i thought that he might be trying to "stick me for my paper" as I would say in my own lingo (of course I said it to him in very broken spanish, but not broken enough for him not to understand what I meant). So he gets a little upset and says how he didn't know that the shoes were expensive here (I guess he assumed that things were cheaper here, or something--God only knows) and that he said he was going to give me the money back. He also said he was mad at me for thinking that he wanted me for my money. I have made it a point from the beginning to alude to the fact that I am not rich and have even gone as far as to say to him that I have no money and am poor too. He said he does not want me for my money. So I said ok and he was still mad. But I told him he needs to understand that I am from a different culture and that this is something that we all worry about when we meet people abroad.

But all in all this is a new and different experience for me and one thing I don't plan to do is lose my dignity or my money. I'm still in the beginning stages of this thing right now, so who knows how it will play out.

I do have one last question...does anyone have any idea of how the Sankie chooses his victim? Is it just a random person or does he usually look for people he's attracted to, or people that look ridiculously stupid? Does anyone know a sankie that they have not been victimized by personally that they have spoken to about their experiences?

Oh and someone mentioned too that dominicans get a kick out of the sankie stories and victims. I found that comment to be interesting as well seeing that I have heard many people speak about dominican women and the stuff that they put up with from men as well... I think sankies victimize them too, not necessarily for monetary reasons or personal gain, but I think they get robbed of their dignity and self esteem when sometimes dealing with men who are known to be dealing with other women. I have not slept with this guy and therefore accept the fact that he could very well be sleeping around with people (although he says he has not had sex in many months--which being a man, I find hard to believe, but ok...), we live thousands of miles apart and I have no claims on him so he's free to do as he pleases. He said that I'll see that he's not after me for my money...so I can wait to see what else he has up his sleeves when I come in Dec. Rest assured, I will not be bringing Jordans with me...

Oh and one more thing, I was speaking to one of the dudes that worked at the resort when i was there, and my cousin and I were questioning him. He was talking about how he had this girlfriend in Virginia. He didn't say that she was sending him money or items but he was talking about how he loved her or whatever...then he went on to talk about his dominican girlfriend who he also loved. So we asked him if the Virginia chick knew about the Dominican chick and he said no. He was supposed to be moving to a new part of DR and starting a new job in a couple of days from the day we spoke to him. He said most Dominican guys want to fall in love and leave the country. He said he wasn't going to make a choice yet though cuz he really loved both...it was a mess...I didn't know then that there was a name for the likes of these guys.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
wow

suitelady
Your friend knew what a sanky is! I have yet to meet a dominican that does not have a definition for that. and the definitions are all very close.
you ask what a sanky is and they say oh si sanky panky.
And yes they think its very funny that a person can come here for vacation, and fall so head over heels in love, with one of them,:bunny:

palomitamia

Nov 13, 2005
Hi Suitelady,

He also said he was mad at me for thinking that he wanted me for my money. I have made it a point from the beginning to alude to the fact that I am not rich and have even gone as far as to say to him that I have no money and am poor too. He said he does not want me for my money. So I said ok and he was still mad. But I told him he needs to understand that I am from a different culture and that this is something that we all worry about when we meet people abroad.

this sounds like a real S. to me. They all say that they don't want you for your money.....and start begging the very next minute.
Getting mad for something he should've apologised for is also a very common thing for some machos ;)

in this case the culture is international :cheeky: Asking for exp. presents is not a very cultured behaviour, or is it?

I do have one last question...does anyone have any idea of how the Sankie chooses his victim? Is it just a random person or does he usually look for people he's attracted to, or people that look ridiculously stupid? Does anyone know a sankie that they have not been victimized by personally that they have spoken to about their experiences?

It doesn't matter what the person looks like, the main thing is the money or the visa.
Keep reading the board and you'll find some more useful info about s.

My advice: learn the language and you will be able to tell the difference between boring s. and educated people who can be fun talking to.

All the best!

P.

C

cd1

Hi! I am completely new to the site and find all of this so interesting and helpful!

I myself have been talking to a guy over in the DR for about a month now and I am going through the same thing- trying to figure out if he is full of it or what! :) It is so hard and actually a bit sad that I question everything that is being said to me. It has actually made me wonder why I even bothering to continue talking. As my friend told me, "just try to be cautiously optomistic".

Thanks!

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
cd1, you have to question what they say, because "sankies" will tell you all kinds of lies. And when you question them they will get that hurt puppy dog look on their face. They will say you don't trust them and you've hurt their feelings. So i say be VERY cautious. Be careful he'll ask you to get married soon.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
Bienamor, you are right. After revisiting the subject, he does know what it means. And Palomitamia, I am feverishly studying spanish in my free time. I have learned a lot since I was there last and have been talking to various people to practice my spanish (native speakers).

We'll see what happens. No matter what, I plan to go there and have a great time and to keep my money in my pocket! :glasses:

Oh and CD1, be very careful and keep your eyes open and your heart closed. Think with your head. I'm sure you will know if it's BS if you let your brain lead the way and not your heart!

Binerds

Nov 30, 2006
I think the sankie forums are a mixture, I'm sure they help some people, although I think most people don't come looking for this kind of information until after they've been to the DR, but they are also entertaining.

I'm also sure it makes some girls feel better-to realise they're not alone in feeling the way they do about the men over there.

I agree with Audrav though, Sankies can only get away with what the girls let them, and being honest they are very good at what they do. If guys in our own countries could get away with it I'm sure they would, but they can't contend with the sun, sea, party atmosphere & holiday carefree mood that takes over when you go somewhere like the DR!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... If guys in our own countries could get away with it I'm sure they would, but they can't contend with the sun, sea, party atmosphere & holiday carefree mood that takes over when you go somewhere like the DR!
That's why at all times one needs to think with stuff between one's ears rather than that part of the anatomy between one's legs, otherwise, get in line at your local WU branch and don't whine. :bunny:

Last edited:

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
The entire lot of sankie posts are like a bad accident...you know you should look away but you can't force yourself to. Entertaining yes and I suppose some would find them educational and reinforcing (as in "wow I got sankified"). After travelling throughout the RD and many other places in the world this genre of flimflam isn't unique to just the Island. You can't teach common sense to people. PT Barnum was right "There's one born every minute"...when's changeover day at the resort?