VPN for USA

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
They cannot block the service that I recommended, Usunblock You need this capability to watch whatever version of Netfix you wish. Suggest you try it for free
Netflix will block you if you use VPN in DR. My wife tested and it was blocked. Anyone can request US version, just change the setting in the Netflix app.

Muntic0re

Dec 27, 2016
As for the USA, we all know that they enjoy completely uncensored Internet. What is legal in one country can be illegal in another. Also, their constitution protects them from government surveillance as well. But we know that the USA had been servicing the public for a long time, making it difficult for Americans to use the internet freely and without fear. So, Americans have enough reasons to look for more privacy and security. Therefore, the relevance of VPN services has only increased in the USA. If you are looking for free VPN for USA, it’s readily available. But I suggest not to use the free one but better to spend a few dollars on VyprVPN for better protection.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To VPN or not to VPN, that may be the question

Those of you who do not require a VPN to watch the US version of Netflix while in the DR have a service provider that has the option to give you a US IP address. On the north coast, Cable Del Norte, Delancer and Cable La Union have a contract with COMCAST in the US for this option. I was "accidentally" switched to a DR IP address recently and had them change me back to a"Miami" IP address.

I don't use Netflix since my IPTV service along with KODI and the proper add-ons provide more than enough programming options for me. IPTV is cheap and KODI is free.

I would like to get CLARO's fiber option, but it is still not available at my location in Cabarete and they are in no hurry to provide it. If I switch to CLARO Fiber at some point in the future, I may need a VPN service since they may have only DR IP addresses. Can anyone confirm that?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Correct. Claro only provides a DR IP address.

One advantage though, with Claro your IP is not shared and is routeable so you can reach a server or camera system that you choose to run from anywhere. Cost is cheaper than the cable companies. With fiber, the speeds much faster and compared to Delancer, would still be a bargain at twice the Claro price.

Installation: With Claro, you may be responsible for providing cable conduit from the Claro drop to your house. Ask for an inspection before your install date and specifically ask if there is anything that needs to be done before the installers arrive.

The proliferation of fiber seems to be stalled. It's my understanding that the trunk lines are in place, but branches into the various communities between Sosua and Cabarete has not expanded much if at all over the last year.

As for VPN use, it is possible for service providers to determine if you are using a VPN to access their service (depends on your VPN service/software). Before subscribing to a VPN service, check to make sure you can access what you want before paying.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Has anyone lately been able to mask their IP while using Claro internet service as a provider.

I understand that people with Delancer in the Sosua/Cab area get a US based IP but I am in Puerto Plata ( No Delancer ) and internet is only good ( reliable ) from Claro.

Before I subscribe to a VPN service I want to make sure that it will work with Claro provided internet.

Any suggestions/solutions to an VPN service that work with Claro to receive US based programming ( Netflix, Hulu etc. ) as I know that for sure Netflix has been clamping down on these services so I would like a recommendation of a working VPN service being used through Claro Internet as of today.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am from Canada and watch netflix on my laptop ; it is the same programming I get from Canada.
I watch about 40% Spanish movies to help me with my language training.

I did the same thing when I was in Barbados.

Russ

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When I had Claro, my VPN software worked just fine on a PC. Just keep in mind, that a VPN won't work for a fire TV stick, Roku, anything named Alexa or any other I.o.t. device that you do not have OS access to. For this you need a router that can provide VPN functionality to all of your network devices.