Watch out for parasites!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Thanks for your insight Ken.

Now I am afraid to enjoy all the things I have enjoyed in the DR for the past seven years without getting sick!Things like;water, fruits,vegetables,"Jugos, "Fritura","Jonny Cakes",brushing my teeth,oral sex!(did I say "Oral Sex"?) Now what am I supposed to do?I heard you mention those latex things, now does "Purisima" work on ,or harm the genitals?"Excuse me "miss" just let me pour some "Clorox" on your crotch before we get started! Some people enjoy life,some people try to "destoy" it! CRISCO

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Notice how some paranoid people who take all the precautions in the world to stay away from illnesses and contaminations and use all kinds of medications to stay healthy, are the first ones to get sick anywhere. These people who live inside their sterile bubble have a very weak immune system and constantly live in fear.
Let me tell you Ken and Ms. matilda, its not the germ or the virus that gets you sick, its your lack of resistance that makes you sick.
If the virus or the amoeba is the culprit then why is it that some people around you who indulge in the same types of activities as you do, drink / eat the same foods but never develop any symptoms as you do? If the germ is the culprit, then everyone should get sick, right? Wrong.
I have been traveling to DR for many years and have been living here for more than 4 years now. I eat drink/eat anything from anywhere ex: restaurant food, private home food, street food, A1 resorts, I drink water from bottle but brush and bathe with regular tap water. I never wash my veggies in chlorinated water as you people do and eat veggies / salad raw, without washing sometimes. I have only gotten sick 3 times in 12 years of traveling to DR, Mexico and Far East. 3 times in 12 years of traveling is a joke. Hell more people get sick from food in USA alone in 2 years than I have in 12 years.
I admit I have a strong stomach but let me tell you this, I wasn?t born with it. I had to expose my stomach to all the harsh foods and poisons to make it so strong. I never have to worry about getting sick like the people mentioned above, I go about my life and use common sense.
AZB?s advice is to forget about sickness and enjoy the life. You have a better chance of getting into an auto accident than getting sick with food. So if you get sick, big deal, go to a local pharmacy in DR and have the pharmacist give you a cheap medicine. I was well in one day and only cost me 2 dollars worth of pill to put me back in shape. My illness lasted shorter than my weekend hangovers.
Have a fun vacation in DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know from personal experience, AZB, that it takes your system time to develop resistence to "bugs" it hasn't dealt with before. Bug bites, for example, that always swelled up and became infected during my first months of living in the DR no longer bother me.

But be that as it may, with your post those who consult this thread for information have two alternatives to choose between.
Not much more we can do to be of service.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Sanitation is a no brainer.

Are those who reject it by any chance planning to share food (pizza perhaps) with others who know about their lack of it? Do their friends often shun the opportunity?

With all due respect to those who claim to not get sick, diarrhea, even if not always serious, is fairly common in the DR. I suspect that they are not counting it.

Is the "chance of getting into an auto accident" also scoffed at?

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
oh AZB its you again....

You haven't told me anything I hadn't known already. Like I said in my initial post, tourists are more prone to these bacterias than people who live in the DR because we are not exposed to these different bacterias.
Yes, my immune system is weak to these bugs because in the US I haven't been exposed to them.
You have contributed nothing of importance to this post so why don't you go back to your own sterile bubble and stay there for awhile so we aren't all infected by your words of nonsense.

Mike_M

Feb 23, 2002
try grapefruit seed extract

On a recent trip to the DR I picked up a nasty case of "Montezuma's Revenge". I had friends go to the pharmacy and get me stuff that worked for awhile to eliminate symptoms but it just kept coming back. Upon returning I was ready to go to my doctor and do the whole flagyl thing that would have cost me hundreds of dollars with doctor's fees, lab tests, ect. when I did a little investigation into natural and herbal treatments. The clerk at the healthfood store turned me on to a new product, grapefruit seed extract (GSE). It's made by NutriBiotic and they have a website about the stuff. It worked perfectly. In 2 or 3 days all symptons were gone. It doesn't need to be refrigerated so it's easy to carry along. Also use it to wash vegetables. Next trip I plan for it to be the first thing I pack. Can also be used prophalaticly (sp?) to prevent infestation.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Same symptoms like a friend of mine

A friend of mine named Mike Meierdirk also suffere like you.

I don't what the hell he does. has got himself into hospitals a few times in Santiago

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I must "qualify" my response!

If you are a "Tourist" coming to the DR for 1 or 2 weeks,then I agree that you should take adequate and necessary precautions.Bottled water,hand washing,don't eat from "street vendors,no oral sex(not you AZB,you live here!),but for those who reside here I would only suggest bottled water.When I return to the US for my annual trip,I normally have a "bout" of diarrhea or at least stomach discomfort.This is not due to parasites(here either!) but to a change in the normal Intestinal "Flora".So eat!,Drink!,and "Make Mary!!!"and don't ruin your short time in the DR worrying about getting sick!!CRISCO"remember,"SHIT HAPPENS!!"and sometimes it is "loose,watery,and a lot of it"!

jssgipson

Feb 22, 2003
I am looking for information on a different kind of parasite. I have been diagnosed with leishmaniasis which comes from being bitten by a parasite infected sand fly. The CDC feels that I got bitten while in Dom Rep last March. Has anyone else heard of this or have any information?