Water

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct Doctor.... not even 'THEY' drink the tap water....

and that's going some .... when the locals won't touch it.

Too much animal run off from the fields and open sewage pipes.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I checked into Palm Beach Condos on October 7th. It is located in the central part of Cabarete and a very well run place. I get to my condo and am somewhat dehydrated from the flight down and as always is a container of chilled water in the refrigerator. I drink most of the water in the pitcher and looked for the five gallon bottle that they have always supplied. Not there. Just an oversight I thought. I went to the office and was told that they don't provide water anymore as the tap water is safe to drink. I said are you telling me that the pitcher was filled with tap water from the sink? She said yes. No ill effects so I think they are making progress with water quality in the DR. (see Tropical Paul's thread on SD water quality).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's important to keep in mind that infrequent visitors do not have the same established defenses against the local nasties that "we" do.

Brushing teeth with tap water seems an ideal way to introduce a limited number of creatures into your system as opposed to downing a glass of water all at once. This should give a healthy immune system a chance to adapt to kill the invader before it has a chance to become a million strong and make you sick.

Travelers diarrhea is water borne illness. Food poisoning is very different. Most with food poisoning (salmonella) get so sick they head to the hospital if that's an option. TD usually prevents anyone from getting too far from a toilet but usually doesn't prompt anyone to consider reviewing their will like with food poisoning.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If there is a good filter system on the water entering a house either from a cistern or from the utility, then drinking the water shouldn't be an issue. Potable water that leaves a treatment plant may be potable then but may not be potable when it comes out of your tap 35 km away. Well water can be contaminated with bacteria but chemical contamination is usually a greater concern with a well. That is until you pump it into a cistern and let it sit for a long time, then all bets are off.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I'm with Africaida, C_G, and A E. AI food should be the main suspect. It got me.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I don't drink tap water in DR, but I have ice cubes with drinks, wash fruits and vegetables with tap water, smile and sing in the shower, brush my teeth twice a day with....the horror....Tap water !!!!!!!

Never had any problems, nor did my 2 children.

It could also be food poisoning :devious:

Oops. . People are always eager to blame water when in fact, water has to be really dirty before it can harm you. Many times even then it's the infrastructure and leaded or corroded pipes causing the issue. Food poisoning is much more plausible.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It's simple. Everywhere I travel, I use bottled/boiled water for everything I do. In the shower I keep my mouth shut. It is better than sitting on the toilet. When I lived there I was a bit more brave.

Period.

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
As a previous poster said; "duh". and, how does one "unknowingly" ingest bad water?

They were served water when they dined out also ice cubes they also used the tap to brush their teeth. Don't be an idiot an a smart azz at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Oops. . People are always eager to blame water when in fact, water has to be really dirty before it can harm you.

I guess how one defines dirty comes into play. For me dirty water is turbid water, cloudy, contains organic material it just looks not clear. It is the clear water that looks the same day after day that we assume is safe because we put faith in the supplier.

E.Coli 157, Giardia & Cryptosporidium are three strains of bacteria that quite happy live and multiply in "clean clear" water. You would have no reason to suspect you are ingesting them. There is no taste or odor. The only way to control their population is to add enough disinfectant to the water to kill them and to ensure that the distribution pipes are a clean and a sealed delivery system. The levels of residual disinfectant throughout the entire water system have to be checked and maintained several times a day.

Some strains of E.Coli such as 157, are quite capable of killing a person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkerton_E._coli_outbreak

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I guess how one defines dirty comes into play. For me dirty water is turbid water, cloudy, contains organic material it just looks not clear. It is the clear water that looks the same day after day that we assume is safe because we put faith in the supplier.

E.Coli 157, Giardia & Cryptosporidium are three strains of bacteria that quite happy live and multiply in "clean clear" water. You would have no reason to suspect you are ingesting them. There is no taste or odor. The only way to control their population is to add enough disinfectant to the water to kill them and to ensure that the distribution pipes are a clean and a sealed delivery system. The levels of residual disinfectant throughout the entire water system have to be checked and maintained several times a day.

Some strains of E.Coli such as 157, are quite capable of killing a person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkerton_E._coli_outbreak

E. coli O157:H7 is just one many strains of e-coli, and produces a toxin known as Shiga. It can cause an intestinal infection. Most people recover from the infection within 6 to 8 days, but it can be life-threatening in infants and people with a weakened immune system. Most of the many forms of e-coli are not harmful and are part of the healthful bacterial flora in humans. As I said earlier, More harmful to humans is when the reverse of the above happens and a food borne bacteria outbreak occurs, that involves the shiga toxin that produces E. coli into the human system. Reverse effect.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
This is a topic covered in the orientation provided by resorts. When going to a new travel destination it's a really good idea to attend.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
They mentioned that it was the water. They all had diarrhea and vomiting after the first day someone told them that it was from the tap water. They stayed at a resort, I'm worried became when I visit I will be at a villa where we cook our own meals. I was advised to wash everything off with bottled water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best to be cautious, don't drink the water and don't breathe the air!