What professions are the gringos involved in DR?

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Eye Spy

Private Investigations...keeps me busy checking up on intended brides or bridegrooms......interesting sometimes what you find... Cheers. M.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Make and sell jewelry. ...help out some tourists...checking english translations for marketing company...saving my Presidente bottles for refund....charging neighbors for connecting to my electrity and cable tv......renting out my washmachine....whatever comes along gotta be ready for it...never know where the next centavo is coming from

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Before I moved here, I lived in Costa Rica for 5 years. The ticos would hardly ever ask what you did for a living. Even people you did business with. I must have rented 10 different houses over there, always searching for the "greener grass", and none of them asked what I did for a living. If you made friends with someone, eventually the topic would come up of course. A simple answer of I'm a programmer and do technical work would always be enough.

The dominicans on the other hand are the most nosy people I have ever met. Not only does everyone want to know what you do, they want to know where you do it, when you do it, exactly how you do it. It's as if they want you to teach them how to make money.

This is one thing that does get on my nerves. I'm about ready to start telling people I'm a pimp. That should keep them quite.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those ex pats whining why can't this be like the US. Personally I can't stand the life in the US which is why I ventured off shore and I can't see myself ever going back to live there again. I'm sure we have all run into this 20 questions session. Does this bother anyone else? Or I'm I the only one?

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Yep - you're the only one.

You should be proud to say what you do (unless it's a pimp)

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
That would be true, unless it is a market niche that you don't want exploited by every tom, dick and harry. Or in this case, every pedro, jose and jesus.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Gringoindr has a valid point

I dont mind people asking me about my profession, but for the life of me, why are they so interested in my income level.

I told a few friends that I may be interested in buying some land to built on in the coming future, from then on it seemed as if everyone I made contact with questioned me about how much is my monthly income. One guy was so bold, he even asked me " are you well off, or are you just a vacationing gringo". another one asked me to total up for him the amount of money I've spent while on this vacation, wasn't that rude.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
When people ask me what I do, I just tell them "I'm a ladron", and smile. :)

(Actually I work in internet marketing)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Sounds to me

as if you might just be around nosey people. I've been here for a year and haven't been asked questions like that.

Stay well,
Amy

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Jwb, you are correct, it is rude. Even if a close personal friend asks me how I'm doing, I don't tell them, well I'm making X amount of money this year. It's just not a thing that I want to discuss. I'm doing fine. Isn't that enough?

Like you said, I don't mind telling people my back ground and what I do. But I'll be damned if I'm going to lay out a full business plan for them to follow. The road to being self employeed is not an easy one. Why should I hand over all my hard work and research?

Amy, it might depend on where you live. If you are living in a beach town and running some sort of tourist business, then the locals can see with their eyes what you do. I live in Santiago. My work is done over the phone and computer. There is no store, no bar, no hotel, no products, nothing for anyone to take a look at. It seems people will stop at nothing to find out how I make a living. I have even had my neighbors ask my kids. Rude indeed.

Jwb, is also right people wanting to know your net worth. Again, none of their business. I would never think of asking anyone that.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
gringo in dr said:
Amy, it might depend on where you live. If you are living in a beach town and running some sort of tourist business, then the locals can see with their eyes what you do. I live in Santiago. My work is done over the phone and computer. There is no store, no bar, no hotel, no products, nothing for anyone to take a look at. It seems people will stop at nothing to find out how I make a living. I have even had my neighbors ask my kids. Rude indeed.
that.

Gringo,

I also work mostly via computers and phone. The work that I do is distribution of products ..... not just in the DR, but Caribbean-wide.
I don't particularly mind if people ask how the business is doing, but then again I don't go into details when asked. Also, I would be offended if someone asked me how much I made that month, but I've been lucky not to be in a situation like that.
On top of that, I live outside of town - about 20 minutes from the nearest shop.

Stay well,
Amy

beckham7777

Jan 20, 2004
Dr Gringo

...I see where your coming from... darn where I am right now in Canada...I can't stand to be here anymore.
Uno I attacked a well known radio personnality here who was caught in a pedophile prostitution ring here by selling "wanted" t-shirts on a website I made. And the child-molester is suing me. So now I am plastered all over local papers and radio shows.
Duo I don't think I can endure another winter!!!

Peter

Last edited:

nsangoma

Jan 21, 2004
Hanging out... enjoying the sun, the lack of snow... and the eye candy!

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Like you said, I don't mind telling people my back ground and what I do. But I'll be damned if I'm going to lay out a full business plan for them to follow. The road to being self employeed is not an easy one. Why should I hand over all my hard work and research?

I agree, I have been very successful on this Island in the past 15 years I have lived here , I supply a sales closing service that no one on this Island can duplicate or copy, sure I could sit down and teach someone else how to do this pitch........BUT WHY!
I'm not going to hand over my years of hard work to some "WANKER" who might just turn around and put me out of business.

One day if I live long enough I will teach my son what has taken me years to prefect and fine tune.

There was one other person on this Island that could successfuly do what I do and make a lot of money doing it and that person was the late Johnny Honda......( may he rest in peace) and he took it ( The Pitch ) with him!.......and he Johnny was one of the best closers I have had the pleasure to come across.

Gringo

nsangoma

Jan 21, 2004
what is a closer? (and I have no desire to learn to be one... I'm happy doing what i am doing...)