Who was the best president in D.R. history

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
People it is a joke...everyone knows (unless you've been living in a cave) that Al Gore did not really invent the internet...

Bob: Balaguer himself was not crooked as his love was not money but power. He allowed and used corruption to manipulate his way to the presidency. Also he didn't do jack sh$t for schools and I can tell you because I went to his schools (nearest one for me was about 5 km and only got to fourth grade).

I will give Balaguer credit for designating land as national parks and the propane subsidy which has helped a lot in keeping us from cutting down all our trees like Haiti. Another decent thing he did was not get The DR in too much debt like subsequent governments have, but this does not even begin to atone for all the bad things he was directly or indirectly responsible for. Worst of all is all the things he COULD have done and didn't do, because he was only interested in maintaining power at any cost...

Hippo was good for agriculture, Leonel wants to be the transportation (metro) guy, Balaguer liked to build behemoth structures that had no real use (i.e. El Faro), etc...I would be just happy with one who would keep the economy running, reign in corruption somewhat and spends the mandated budget in education and health...is that too much to ask?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here's the big difference between Bosch and other Presidents.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xerhpvJuzTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xerhpvJuzTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Was trying to edit and took to too long.

Here's why in my book he's above all others. Bosch found out that his director of security and protection Virgilio Gell who was his personal friend for more than 15 years was using his position to extort money from Celso Perez. Bosch ordered an investigation and after finding out it was true he immediately fired him and ordered him arrested and taken to justice.

Can you ever see Leonel or any of these guys firing one of his cohorts never mind one of his best friends for incurring acts of corruption?

Above is the "video" of it. He said "I have to send the message that when it comes to the country the president does not have friends or family, the law protects all Dominicans, but also punishes any Dominican who violates it. The law does not recognize names, sentiments nor family relationships. It hurts me tremendously to do this, but I have to do it to maintain democracy in this country as well as my dignity and honor".

Priceless...

Reactions: Chirimoya
Sep 20, 2003
People it is a joke...everyone knows (unless you've been living in a cave) that Al Gore did not really invent the internet...

Bob: Balaguer himself was not crooked as his love was not money but power. He allowed and used corruption to manipulate his way to the presidency. Also he didn't do jack sh$t for schools and I can tell you because I went to his schools (nearest one for me was about 5 km and only got to fourth grade).

I will give Balaguer credit for designating land as national parks and the propane subsidy which has helped a lot in keeping us from cutting down all our trees like Haiti. Another decent thing he did was not get The DR in too much debt like subsequent governments have, but this does not even begin to atone for all the bad things he was directly or indirectly responsible for. Worst of all is all the things he COULD have done and didn't do, because he was only interested in maintaining power at any cost...

Hippo was good for agriculture, Leonel wants to be the transportation (metro) guy, Balaguer liked to build behemoth structures that had no real use (i.e. El Faro), etc...I would be just happy with one who would keep the economy running, reign in corruption somewhat and spends the mandated budget in education and health...is that too much to ask?

I think that sums up Balaguer's Presidency quite well.

be4unvme

Jan 22, 2010
Here's the big difference between Bosch and other Presidents.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xerhpvJuzTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xerhpvJuzTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

this is the video thatr made me do this thread, the best part of the video is at 2:30-2:40 where he clearly explains that the DR is a republic by law not a democracy ruled by the majority

btw how did you get the video like that

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
...Balaguer liked to build behemoth structures that had no real use (i.e. El Faro), etc...
I wouldn't say those structures 'had no real use', because they were built for a specific purpose: sustain an elaborate tourism industry that was suppose to be the salvation of the country. The problem is that most of the plans failed due to bad timing and bad press.

Faro A Colon, it was suppose to be the most incredible attraction in the Western world with Christopher Columbus' remains being the center piece par excellence. It was suppose to attract a multitude of tourists from all over the Americas and Europe, to go and see the final resting place and the city built thanks to the endeavor of Christopher Columbus. It was to be something akin to what Mecca or Jerusalem is to believers; a place that everyone would had wanted to visit at least once in their life.

The problem? By 1992 Columbus was no longer the hero, in fact he was considered a villain in much of the Western world, and the extremely negative bad press and criticisms from leftist groups that were not able (or not willing) to see the big picture behind the costly projects did wonders in its miserable failure.

The Plaza de la Cultura? It was suppose to be the showplace of the greatest aspects of Dominican culture. That's where the world was suppose to become acquainted with the grandeur of the people inhabiting the most historic (eurocentric) real estate west of the Atlantic.

The Botanical Gardens/Aquarium/Zoo? The first one was the largest of its kind in Latin America with its sundial being the largest in the world at the time of its inauguration, the aquarium was (and probably still is) the largest in the Central American/Caribbean region, and the zoo was the largest zoo in Latin America with the most complete array of animals. The purpose was to impress and to attract visitors.

The great avenues he built like Ave. Churchill/Jim?nez Moya, Kennedy, 27 de Febrero (which was a very nice looking and leafy avenue before it was mutilated to what it is today), etc. were meant show the world the modernity of what for much of Balaguer's rule remained a handsome capital city filled with manicured traffic circles (most were destroyed in the 1990s) and avenues that had a French air to it all.

The restoration of the Colonial Zone was also part of the plan, meant to coincide with the inauguration of the Columbus Lighthouse.

The problem with it all was the same as with the lighthouse, the multitude of tourists simply never materialized and neither did the economic vitality it was suppose to create.

Had it been successful the country would had benefited quite handsomely since tourism has a multiplier effect unlike most other industries (tourism spurs the development of construction, agriculture, transportation, commerce, lodging, manufacturing, etc).

There were other projects that did became a success Puerto Plata being best example. The city received handsome investments from Balaguer including its old malec?n, the restoration of the fortress, the beautification of its historic center, the Playa Dorada complex (technically this was inaugurated under Antonio Guzm?n but it was made possible by the investments Balaguer had injected into the area), and the construction of the airport. Trujillo had already built the teleferico up Mt. Isabel de Torres with the statue of Christ and the botanical gardens in the summit. Balaguer's legacy started the tourism boom based on beach, sun and surf on the north coast.

However, the Saman? project failed which was based on transforming the former Saman? village into the grand city Napoleon Bonaparte had designed when the island was under French rule. It was suppose to be the new capital of the French West Indies and it was suppose to be grand, handsome, and a major attraction; a Caribbean version of Paris. It was suppose to be a showpiece of grandeur meant to create an economic boom based on tourism. Unfortunately, some of the streets were widened and the pedestrian bridge that today goes to nowhere but originally was suppose to lead to a restaurant in one of the cays, then Balaguer lost the election and that was the end of that project.

The only projects that were heavily criticized were those involved with the tourism economy, not many people criticized the hospitals he built or the schools or the dams, hardly anyone complained of his environment preservation projects, the roads he built, the public housing projects. With these last ones the only thing people complained was how they were distributed, but the actual construction of them was not criticized.

As far as construction, people only complained of the projects that actually would had been the most important to secure the future economic development of the country; had they been successful!

For this reason I wouldn't call them 'structures that had no use', better yet well meant projects that due to bad press and timing became white elephants. The former gives the impression that the projects were built for the heck of it, intentional waste when in fact they were part of a greater plan.

It is ironic that the DR became a tourism based economy despite the failure of those projects, albeit the tourism didn't really developed where it was planned and instead of being focused on culture, its more sun, surf and sand on one side and sex on the other. The grandeur of Dominican society having little to no place in the current tourism economy. If anything, Dominican culture is currently caricatured and, I think, ridiculed for the enjoyment of tourists.

Many of the mayor construction projects currently being executed were already in the planning a few decades ago.

Mar 1, 2009
Last night while eating dinner, my father and his friend we're mentioning Balaguer in a positive light. I couldn't believe that this former Perredeista was saying that about el Dostor Balaguel...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can you ever see Leonel or any of these guys firing one of his cohorts never mind one of his best friends for incurring acts of corruption?

Above is the "video" of it. He said "I have to send the message that when it comes to the country the president does not have friends or family, the law protects all Dominicans, but also punishes any Dominican who violates it. The law does not recognize names, sentiments nor family relationships. It hurts me tremendously to do this, but I have to do it to maintain democracy in this country as well as my dignity and honor".

Priceless...

Unfortunately no I can't see Leonel doing the same. He's already had an opportunity with some of the allegations Wilton Guerrero came out with but.........seemingly ignored them.

Makes you wonder where the DR would be now IF ONLY Bosch had had a longer term.................:disappoin I used to think the guys at my local Fundaci?n Caama?o were being nostalgic but it isn't nostalgia, is it, it's about standards, ethical behaviour & integrity.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Many people acknowledge Balaguer crooked side, but also acknowledge that he saved the forests, planned ahead with building new schools....etc. He had a vision to the future that involved more than personal power.

While Balaguer did a ton of evil (murders, fixed elections) this is also true. Is a matter of weighing the good against the bad I guess.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Perhaps because the OP's question has been asked numerous times on this forum, and those that have mentioned Trujillo have already stated and debated their reasons why ad nauseam. Maybe some people don't feel like arguing about this for the umpteenth time...

Allow me to differ dear Ogre. Forums are not inert organisms, there's certain dynamic in it that allows it to reinvigorate over a period of time. Posters die, get banned, some just stop coming and continually there's a flow of new posters that substitute those who no longer participate.

New members have the right to discuss any DR related topic even if it has already been discussed ad nauseam. No need for posts like this to discourage further participation on any given topic. Just my two "cheles".

Sep 20, 2003
Allow me to differ dear Ogre. Forums are not inert organisms, there's certain dynamic in it that allows it to reinvigorate over a period of time. Posters die, get banned, some just stop coming and continually there's a flow of new posters that substitute those who no longer participate.

New members have the right to discuss any DR related topic even if it has already been discussed ad nauseam. No need for posts like this to discourage further participation on any given topic. Just my two "cheles".

Vacara, you asked a question and I gave you an honest answer.

Sep 20, 2003
I actually think this thread is a good one because it doesn't center around Trujillo. There have been a lot of really interesting and informative posts. I think talking about other Dominican leaders besides Trujillo is kind of refreshing.

I find it hard to believe that my earlier post on this thread would discourage people from posting about Trujillo... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If someone believes Trujillo was the best President, go ahead and say so.

Last edited:

be4unvme

Jan 22, 2010
If someone believes Trujillo was the best President, go ahead and say so.

yeah go ahead and say so but have a good amount of info to support your arguement.

i see alot of dominicans are confused about the proper role of goverment and how to deal with the country. when i saw the video explaining the president Bosch had the most efficient and least corrupt administration in DR history inspired me to make this thread. best actions leaders can make rather than raising taxes and stealing. dominicans need to educate themselves on this man.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
yeah go ahead and say so but have a good amount of info to support your arguement.

i see alot of dominicans are confused about the proper role of goverment and how to deal with the country. when i saw the video explaining the president Bosch had the most efficient and least corrupt administration in DR history inspired me to make this thread. best actions leaders can make rather than raising taxes and stealing. dominicans need to educate themselves on this man.

How much damage can you do in 6 months.

May 5, 2007

They why is Ogre's "Opinion" not valid or needed?