Why are Dominican Americans mostly ignored in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
We agree?

deelt said:
Let's just agree to disagree.
WE agree then... to disagree.
I want to leave this "converstion" with the following. I just hate when I hear a person claim something they know nothing about, it's like saying I'm rich because so&so in my family has money. I used Fabolous & AZ as an example (mostly fabolous) he claims to be Dominican (he's not) or Dominican descent (he is) but he knows nothing of DR or its people but uses he "Dominicaness" to sell his image. He released a video (I think its called Damn) in which he wears sneakers with the Dominican flag, the next day in my school (I was a senior) every Dominican is saying "oh did you see fabolous hes Dominican, Im gonna buy his album" Im thinking are these people serious just because he wears the flag, they're gonna gonna buy his Album? Its ridiculous. I just really hate people use something that they aren't to get an advantage, alot of "Dominican" from Washington Heights do they same claim to be Dominican & disrespect the flag on Independece Day then comes tomorrow and they forget DR even exists. Another example is of a friend of mine, hes from Brooklyn he claims to be Dominican in front of other Dominicans & latinos but he tells me he hates DR & would never like to go to DR (he goes because he's "forced"), he doesn't know Dominican history & always claims to be American in front of whites & blacks, how can I say he is Dominican? when he neglects it in front of my eyes but yet will say it when, lets say a girl (different ethnic) loves latinos or to be accepted (social events, etc).
Thats why I put an asterisk because some people need it, some people will use anything to sell, it's unfair & a bit prejudge but it is necessary. I also know you werent dissing Republicans I just thought it was a bit sarcasstic because a Republican is like the Devil to most Dominicans.

deelt said:
I think that Dominican Americans in the Heights are spoiled. Why? because what they lack in historical knowledge they make up in cultural exposure. They eat the food, hear the music, and speak the language (sort of). They have no real incentive to know more other than the occasional trip to DR when the family can afford it.
I also agree to disagree on the statement above, at least for my generation most of these kids are only experiencing the weed, some people call the heights "the home of the haze". I don't know about your generation but mine is going down of course it could just be an outlook of all American youth regards of country or race but as you know when you're ethnic group is viewed as negative, no matter how good you are in society you will be sterotyped. Damn :( .

Peace,
Capo

deelt said:
I don't agree. I think that Dominican Americans in the Heights are spoiled. Why? because what they lack in historical knowledge they make up in cultural exposure. They eat the food, hear the music, and speak the language (sort of). They have no real incentive to know more other than the occasional trip to DR when the family can afford it. What of the places where there is NO connection and people lack the opportunity to know more?

Not everyone is a Dominican history buff or a political guru. We as an ethnic have a hard enough challenge to make it out of high school. These are issues that can be address only at the college level. The US educational system is not made up to educate Dominicans on the Dominican Republic. It's not their job to do so either.

I wasn't knocking Reps in my posting. So if you see that, you need to read it again.

Again, you are imposing your own criteria on who you deem Dominican "enough".

Let's just agree to disagree.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Capo

I feel where you are coming from. Really, I do. However, I feel you are confusing IGNORANCE with "Dominicaness." I think that regardless how ignorant a person is they cannot deny their genetic descendency.

We need to educate and work to eradicate the ignorance within our people.
This is the why we are losing the upcoming generation to "the haze". The extra baggage you express is just adage. Many Dominican parents don't & don't know HOW to support their kids in school. It's a reality. They just SAY they do. This is why see the younger generation being lost to perdition.

Oh, by the way, we are not THAT different in age. The same mess you are seeing is what I saw. Most of my friends wanted to work $7/hr (now, $10/hr) rather than get a college education. It's so sad that I laugh to stop the crying.

D

capodominicano said:
WE agree then... to disagree.
I want to leave this "converstion" with the following. I just hate when I hear a person claim something they know nothing about, it's like saying I'm rich because so&so in my family has money. I used Fabolous & AZ as an example (mostly fabolous) he claims to be Dominican (he's not) or Dominican descent (he is) but he knows nothing of DR or its people but uses he "Dominicaness" to sell his image. He released a video (I think its called Damn) in which he wears sneakers with the Dominican flag, the next day in my school (I was a senior) every Dominican is saying "oh did you see fabolous hes Dominican, Im gonna buy his album" Im thinking are these people serious just because he wears the flag, they're gonna gonna buy his Album? Its ridiculous. I just really hate people use something that they aren't to get an advantage, alot of "Dominican" from Washington Heights do they same claim to be Dominican & disrespect the flag on Independece Day then comes tomorrow and they forget DR even exists. Another example is of a friend of mine, hes from Brooklyn he claims to be Dominican in front of other Dominicans & latinos but he tells me he hates DR & would never like to go to DR (he goes because he's "forced"), he doesn't know Dominican history & always claims to be American in front of whites & blacks, how can I say he is Dominican? when he neglects it in front of my eyes but yet will say it when, lets say a girl (different ethnic) loves latinos or to be accepted (social events, etc).
Thats why I put an asterisk because some people need it, some people will use anything to sell, it's unfair & a bit prejudge but it is necessary. I also know you werent dissing Republicans I just thought it was a bit sarcasstic because a Republican is like the Devil to most Dominicans.

I also agree to disagree on the statement above, at least for my generation most of these kids are only experiencing the weed, some people call the heights "the home of the haze". I don't know about your generation but mine is going down of course it could just be an outlook of all American youth regards of country or race but as you know when you're ethnic group is viewed as negative, no matter how good you are in society you will be sterotyped. Damn :( .

Peace,
Capo

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
Dr

Damian said:
Except for just baseball, I never see Dominicans in American movies, music or television, and there has been Dominicans in America for a long time.

Mexicans, Cubans and Boricuas get more attention, I'm half Dominican and I know almost nothing about my roots.

Many Americans are ignorant about Dominicans, In the south where I live, people think Dominicans are a foreign black group. They're invisible in most America mainstream.

Hi!
well............. buddy if it's true that in the south people think dominicans are a bunch of foreign black groups then in the south people are either ignorant or stupid. 16 % of the dominicans are white 11% are black and 73% are mix. I think people should get more educated about country before they start talking. Im Puerto Rican by birth but my parents are Dominicans and u can't imagine how bad the Puerto Ricans used to get treated by the Italians in New York City not to long ago. Thanks god things ahve change alot.
Sure there are some people who dont like dominicans i mean dominicans are not a bill of 1,000,000 dollars to be liked by everyone. And i think you as "Half dominican" should learn more about The Dominican Republic it has a beautiful history just like Puerto Rico.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
PuertoRican2 said:
Hi!
well............. buddy if it's true that in the south people think dominicans are a bunch of foreign black groups then in the south people are either ignorant or stupid. 16 % of the dominicans are white 11% are black and 73% are mix. I think people should get more educated about country before they start talking. Im Puerto Rican by birth but my parents are Dominicans and u can't
imagine how bad the Puerto Ricans used to get treated by the Italians in New York City not to long ago. Thanks god things ahve change alot.
Sure there are some people who dont like dominicans i mean dominicans are not a bill of 1,000,000 dollars to be liked by everyone. And i think you as "Half dominican" should learn more about The Dominican Republic it has a beautiful history just like Puerto Rico.
Not just that, but there are many Latin American countries with large pure Black minorities.

In the DR, pure blacks (non mixed Africans or decendents of Africans) only make up around 10 to 11% of the people, and most of these are decendants of American blacks who settled in Samana, decendants of British west indian slaves who settled in San Pedro de Macoris and decendants of Haitian migrants. Very few pure Dominican blacks are 100% decendant of slaves who were brought to the DR by the Spaniards.

The vast majority of Dominicans have white, black, and Taino blood mixed in. That explains the beautiful, but very unique and exotic look of many Dominicans. This is a look that is much more refined than that of pure blacks ( facial features are more subtle), the skin color tends to be fairer (especially compared to 100% african decendant Haitians who many are as dark as charcoal).

Beyond that, there are many Dominicans who have (besides African and European traits), very strong Taino traits. Some of them include shovel teeth (this is a trait found 99% of the time in Native Americans and the other 1% of the time in people who have part Native American blood). Other features are high cheekbones, large and indented eye sockets (where the eyes appear to be sunk into the eye sockets of the face), and many other features that point to some Native American traits. You can check all the features out in these links:

http://www.othermetis.net/AboGene/Gene.html

http://www.kacike.org/CalderonEnglish.html

http://www.kacike.org/FerbelEspanol.html

http://www.centrelink.org/davidcampos.html

Beyond all of this, the following Latin American countries have huge black minorities and/or Mulatto minorities:

Mexico (believe it or not, many Mexicans have black blood in them, if you look at all of the Mexican heroes, you will notice that many of them from the past have very clear African features, and Mexico was one of the largest receivers of African slaves during Colonial times as well)

Honduras

Nicaragua

Costa Rica (despite the overwhelming number of whites here, blacks are numerous especially along the coasts)

Panama

Colombia (especially along the Pacific coast)

Venezuela

Ecuador

Peru

Cuba (beside the DR, Cuba is the only other Latin country where Mulattos are the majority)

Dominican Republic (despite 10% of population being black, that is a large percentage. Another thing to point out is that most Dominicans are classified as Mulattos, but there is alot more mixture that indicates that most are not mulattos or black, but something else. These mixtures are so complicated on each individual level, that many sociologist, historians and politicians prefer to lump mixed Dominicans into the Mulatto category for simplicity.)

We can even include Puerto Rico as having a significant number of blacks. However, as in the United States, most blacks in Puerto Rico are most likely Mulattos in reality.

Of the non-Spanish speaking countries in the hemisphere with large black population include:

Belize

Jamaica (though most "blacks" here are actually mulattos and other mixes)

British and American Virgin Islands

Turks and Caicos

Bahamas (most Blacks here are decendants of Haitian immigrants)

Anguilla

Guadeloupe

Martinique

Dominica

Brazil (especially in the North of the country like in the city of Salvador)

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Grenada

Trinidad and Tobago (though most "blacks" here are actually mixed blooded people, there is a lot of Indian blood (people from India, not native Americans) mixed in people of here and there is a large Mulatto community as well).

Haiti (this is the only country in the hemisphere where 98% of the population is decendants of African slaves and have no other mixtures besides the mixtures of different Africans from different regions in Africa, also, this is the country that resembles African in all aspects outside of Africa)

French Guyana

Guyana

Suriname

Bermuda

Aruba

Curacao

Bonaire

United States (despite the large "black" community here, it is being speculated by many sociologist and historians that the vast majority of African-Americans in the United States may actually be Mulatto. There is alot of historical evidence to point to this given that the United States imported few slaves (compared to other places like Brazil and Haiti who combined imported over half of all slaves brought to the hemisphere). The last shipment of African slaves into the United States was in the late 1700s. The number of illegitimate mulatto children born due to white men abusing enslaved black women was very high but undocumented and the one-drop rule encouraged these mulattos to be lumped up and consiedered black if their skin tone was dark enough. If their skin tone was light enough, they could pass themselves as white, much how Alexander Hamilton (America's first Treasurer) did. Beyond this, its interesting to note that most white Americans today are decendants of European immigrants who migrated to the US in the mid to late 1800s and around the World Wars period. This means, that most African Americans are more American (by virtue of Time) than most White Americans and yet, African Americans have been treated as if they were not Americans for a good chunk of American history.

Aside from this, many American "blacks" are much lighter than the "blacks" of places where Africans did not mixed much (like in Haiti) or simply by comparing most American "blacks" to most Sub-Saharan Africans today.)

Last edited:

brownskin

Dec 14, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Not just that, but there are many Latin American countries with large pure Black minorities.

In the DR, pure blacks (non mixed Africans or decendents of Africans) only make up around 10 to 11% of the people, and most of these are decendants of American blacks who settled in Samana, decendants of British west indian slaves who settled in San Pedro de Macoris and decendants of Haitian migrants. Very few pure Dominican blacks are 100% decendant of slaves who were brought to the DR by the Spaniards.

The vast majority of Dominicans have white, black, and Taino blood mixed in. That explains the beautiful, but very unique and exotic look of many Dominicans. This is a look that is much more refined than that of pure blacks ( facial features are more subtle), the skin color tends to be fairer (especially compared to 100% african decendant Haitians who many are as dark as charcoal).

Beyond that, there are many Dominicans who have (besides African and European traits), very strong Taino traits. Some of them include shovel teeth (this is a trait found 99% of the time in Native Americans and the other 1% of the time in people who have part Native American blood). Other features are high cheekbones, large and indented eye sockets (where the eyes appear to be sunk into the eye sockets of the face), and many other features that point to some Native American traits. You can check all the features out in these links:

Beyond all of this, the following Latin American countries have huge black minorities and/or Mulatto minorities:

Mexico (believe it or not, many Mexicans have black blood in them, if you look at all of the Mexican heroes, you will notice that many of them from the past have very clear African features, and Mexico was one of the largest receivers of African slaves during Colonial times as well)

Honduras

Nicaragua

Costa Rica (despite the overwhelming number of whites here, blacks are numerous especially along the coasts)

Panama

Venezuela

Ecuador

Peru

Cuba (beside the DR, Cuba is the only other Latin country where Mulattos are the majority)

Dominican Republic (despite 10% of population being black, that is a large percentage. Another thing to point out is that most Dominicans are classified as Mulattos, but there is alot more mixture that indicates that most are not mulattos or black, but something else. These mixtures are so complicated on each individual level, that many sociologist, historians and politicians prefer to lump mixed Dominicans into the Mulatto category for simplicity.)

We can even include Puerto Rico as having a significant number of blacks. However, as in the United States, most blacks in Puerto Rico are most likely Mulattos in reality.

Of the non-Spanish speaking countries in the hemisphere with large black population include:

Belize

)

Turks and CaicosJamaica (though most "blacks" here are actually mulattos and other mixes

Anguilla

Guadeloupe

Martinique

Dominica

St. Lucia

Barbados

Grenada

Trinidad and Tobago (though most "blacks" here are actually mixed blooded people, there is a lot of Indian blood (people from India, not native Americans) mixed in people of here and there is a large Mulatto community as well).

Haiti (this is the only country in the hemisphere where 98% of the population is decendants of African slaves and have no other mixtures besides the mixtures of different Africans from different regions in Africa, also, this is the country that resembles African in all aspects outside of Africa)

French Guyana

Guyana

Suriname

Bermuda

Aruba

Curacao

Bonaire

United States (despite the large "black" community here, it is being speculated by many sociologist and historians that the vast majority of African-Americans in the United States may actually be Mulatto. There is alot of historical evidence to point to this given that the United States imported few slaves (compared to other places like Brazil and Haiti who combined imported over half of all slaves brought to the hemisphere). The last shipment of African slaves into the United States was in the late 1700s. The number of illegitimate mulatto children born due to white men abusing enslaved black women was very high but undocumented and the one-drop rule encouraged these mulattos to be lumped up and consiedered black if their skin tone was dark enough. If their skin tone was light enough, they could pass themselves as white, much how Alexander Hamilton (America's first Treasurer) did. Beyond this, its interesting to note that most white Americans today are decendants of European immigrants who migrated to the US in the mid to late 1800s and around the World Wars period. This means, that most African Americans are more American (by virtue of Time) than most White Americans and yet, African Americans have been treated as if they were not Americans for a good chunk of American history.

Aside from this, many American "blacks" are much lighter than the "blacks" of places where Africans did not mixed much (like in Haiti) or simply by comparing most American "blacks" to most Sub-Saharan Africans today.)

United States (despite the large "black" community here, it is being speculated by many sociologist and historians that the vast majority of African-Americans in the United States may actually be Mulatto.

>>>no my friend we are black no one is gonna go for that mullato b.s to downplay anything we are mostly w. african. black americans know thaey have european or white blood and also a little native american blood in them some natives were slave holders. and native americans from north american were different looking than ones from the caribbean they have reddish white skin well most of them!

Aside from this, many American "blacks" are much lighter than the "blacks" of places where Africans did not mixed much (like in Haiti) or simply by comparing most American "blacks" to most Sub-Saharan Africans today.)[/

sub suharan? thats foolish there are black africans in the north with arabs and berbers they just try to seperate africans from the north from africans in the south, central and eastern parts.

^^^^ true! but many indians(india) rep black to the fullest and mix with black trinis most likely and are not indians in india!

Jamaica (though most "blacks" here are actually mulattos and other mixes

^^strong black identity and connection to ethiopia and ghana

Bahamas (most Blacks here are decendants of Haitian immigrants

^^^ i don't think so bahamian women look damn good not to say haitians don't but tu sabes

a black and white person is a mullato. depending on the country you go to some countries mullato is a phenotype

for instance my ex girl was black(father) and white(mother)+ child= mullato child

clear african features? there is really no such thing thats a stereotype all black africans don't have the same features lets take nigeria for instance many have thin noses some have wide noses some have long noses feel me.and yes i ask a cool as mexican women many thought she was a puerto rican she said her father was a white mexican and her mother was a morena" morena she said is what they call the negros in mexico she said they are moslty not black skinned but dark brown colored

now many mexicans that say there are no negros in probably only been in the northern region or there families decendants is from the west coast of the united states which many of them don't call themselves latino but chicano

high cheekbones? thats known as a black trait no lie black americans have hish cheek bones i have them also.

im optimistic about the d.r every domincan don't have taino blood in dem just like every puerto rican don't some puerto rican families came from italy, england and etc i met one english puerto rican named francisco torres he was cool people thought he was white but he ahd to explain his self always to them at work

p.s i did not know amerindians in latin america were called native americans thats for united states indians and they look differnt from amerindians in the caribbean and have differnt customs!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
brownskin said:
United States (despite the large "black" community here, it is being speculated by many sociologist and historians that the vast majority of African-Americans in the United States may actually be Mulatto.

>>>no my friend we are black no one is gonna go for that mullato b.s to downplay anything we are mostly w. african. black americans know thaey have european or white blood and also a little native american blood in them some natives were slave holders. and native americans from north american were different looking than ones from the caribbean they have reddish white skin well most of them!

Aside from this, many American "blacks" are much lighter than the "blacks" of places where Africans did not mixed much (like in Haiti) or simply by comparing most American "blacks" to most Sub-Saharan Africans today.)[/

sub suharan? thats foolish there are black africans in the north with arabs and berbers they just try to seperate africans from the north from africans in the south, central and eastern parts.

^^^^ true! but many indians(india) rep black to the fullest and mix with black trinis most likely and are not indians in india!

^^^ i don't think so bahamian women look damn good not to say haitians don't but tu sabes

a black and white person is a mullato. depending on the country you go to some countries mullato is a phenotype

for instance my ex girl was black(father) and white(mother)+ child= mullato child

clear african features? there is really no such thing thats a stereotype all black africans don't have the same features lets take nigeria for instance many have thin noses some have wide noses some have long noses feel me.and yes i ask a cool as mexican women many thought she was a puerto rican she said her father was a white mexican and her mother was a morena" morena she said is what they call the negros in mexico she said they are moslty not black skinned but dark brown colored

now many mexicans that say there are no negros in probably only been in the northern region or there families decendants is from the west coast of the united states which many of them don't call themselves latino but chicano

high cheekbones? thats known as a black trait no lie black americans have hish cheek bones i have them also.

im optimistic about the d.r every domincan don't have taino blood in dem just like every puerto rican don't some puerto rican families came from italy, england and etc i met one english puerto rican named francisco torres he was cool people thought he was white but he ahd to explain his self always to them at work

p.s i did not know amerindians in latin america were called native americans thats for united states indians and they look differnt from amerindians in the caribbean and have differnt customs!

YOUR WRITING IS HORRIBLE !!!!!.Im not a scholar or pretend to be , but im having a hard time reading your posts . I sooooooooo reccommend you take some type of English writing course or just write in Spanish to make it easier for yourself .( No offense , just tryin to be helpful and honest)

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
brownskin said:

Its been noted by many Athropologists that most African-Americans have european blood , however this is not to take away from thier achievments.Most African-American accept this , but because of the american one drop rule most people of mixed race claim to be black.They may not accept being of mixed race but its still true.

Most slave were taken from western and central africa and the blacks in North Africa are not native to those countries .Also , the black population in North Africa is very small.you can tell easilly between an African-American and a pure African (this is due to mixing)

according to the books , Indians are considered caucasians

he didnt say all Drs have Native american blood, he said many of them do

both you guys are correct on most issues

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
brownskin said:

Well, maybe African-Americans should get down from their high horse and realize that there is a lot more mixture among them than they prefer to accept!

Here are a few sources, but do your own research and you will see that the USA is more Mulatto than previously thought. It's not wishful thinking, its a fact!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/onedrop.html

http://www.martygrant.com/gen/origins/race-codes.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KAY/is_2_6/ai_103192540

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/mulatto/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Nal0whs said:

Honduras

Nicaragua

Panama

Venezuela

Ecuador

Peru

Belize

Jamaica (though most "blacks" here are actually mulattos and other mixes)

Turks and Caicos

Anguilla

Guadeloupe

Martinique

Dominica

St. Lucia

Barbados

Grenada

French Guyana

Guyana

Suriname

Bermuda

Aruba

Curacao

Bonaire

You also forget to mention that their skin color is also influenced much on the temperature ie Generations of Arabians that live in the US will be much lighter than their counterpart living in the Sahara dessert. So the enviroment has to do much with that.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Mullato shmumatto

It does not make a difference.
During slavery, Whites set themselves apart by stating if you have a drop of negro blood then you are a negro. whatever, there is no clear defenition if your madre es un jew y su padre es un moslim. So this topic will go on and on!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
to keep this on topic , the reason Dominicans are mostly ignored in the U.S.A is becuase there is not that much of us compared to PRs or Mexicans, and Cubans have been here longer so more people know about them , but its only a matter of time.In the NJ,NY area , Dominicans are known and felt due to the large Dominican presence.

and Merry Christmas,Feliz Navidad to all

A Fuegillo

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
Damian said:
Except for just baseball, I never see Dominicans in American movies, music or television, and there has been Dominicans in America for a long time.

Mexicans, Cubans and Boricuas get more attention, I'm half Dominican and I know almost nothing about my roots.

Many Americans are ignorant about Dominicans, In the south where I live, people think Dominicans are a foreign black group. They're invisible in most America mainstream.
Just to add to the list...
Rosanna Tavarez from On Air w/ Ryan Seacrest is Dominican
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-43609

Dania Ramirez is also Dominican
http://www.urbanlatino.com/current_issue.html

brownskin

Dec 14, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Well, maybe African-Americans should get down from their high horse and realize that there is a lot more mixture among them than they prefer to accept!

Here are a few sources, but do your own research and you will see that the USA is more Mulatto than previously thought. It's not wishful thinking, its a fact!

i could not agree more with you but people here are not going on ancestry and trust me black americans know they have other ancestrial lineage and immediate and past blood lines other than western africa/bantu/asante and i don't either! i know a few whites who have black slave lines but they are white thats a long time ago they are white with american black ancestry get me/. !
im not native american but its in my ancestry(black foot) no doubt i still stand on that a mullato is someone who is white and black(thru parents not ancestrial lineage other wise one can be like im this im that and this that and this.

i don't hear spaniards going around saying what they are from centries ago and they are real racist.

also i think you said african americans are lighter than haitians? maybe so on average but some haitians here in the states have the same various brown colors as african americans.

p.s

not all sub saharan africans<-----divide and conquer are charcoal skinned stop watching television if i could find pics of some nigerian and burkina faso women i would post them under another topic cause this aint the thread for it.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
i could not agree more with you but people here are not going on ancestry and trust me black americans know they have other ancestrial lineage and immediate and past blood lines other than western africa/bantu/asante and i don't either! i know a few whites who have black slave lines but they are white thats a long time ago they are white with american black ancestry get me/. !
It's a shame African-Americans deny their own self. It's ok to be proud of your African roots if you are partly African, but remember, such person is only partly African, that means that with out the other mixes such person could have never existed.

As such, American Mulattos should identify as Mulattos rather than Black, because guess what, they are Mulattos!

im not native american but its in my ancestry(black foot) no doubt i still stand on that a mullato is someone who is white and black(thru parents not ancestrial lineage other wise one can be like im this im that and this that and this.
That means you are a mulatto.

i don't hear spaniards going around saying what they are from centries ago and they are real racist.
I don't hear Africans or Asians doing such thing either. Such practice appear to only exist in the America's.

Given that the US believes democracy and in majority rules, they should throw away their racist black/white mentality. After all, the rest of the world doesn't think that way at all.

The rest of the world recognizes the different shades in between. Since the US is the minority in such black/white mentality, they should just give up such racist remark.

Besides, such mentality originated in the south among the former slave holders. The fact that Blacks and Whites continue to live by such mentality simply attest that they agree with those racist practice of former southern slave owners. If that is the case, I don't see the point for all the civil rights movements in the 1960s and for Affirmative Action or anything of such sort.

also i think you said african americans are lighter than haitians? maybe so on average but some haitians here in the states have the same various brown colors as african americans.
As with everything, there are exceptions to every rule. Everybody knows that, but walk into any Bateye in the DR where Haitians live and the vast majority are undeniably black. No, not brown or dark brown, but real blacks.

not all sub saharan africans<-----divide and conquer are charcoal skinned stop watching television if i could find pics of some nigerian and burkina faso women i would post them under another topic cause this aint the thread for it.
I did not based such notion of Television, I based it on what I saw with my own eyes when I went to Nairobi. It was a family trip to the Kruger (spelling?) national park there for a wild safari experience. Lots of charcoal colored people there.

The one thing you do find is that in the African countries where there was a huge influx of Europeans, there tends to be a higher proportion of brown colored people rather than black colored. Hmm, seems to me a correlation between mixing of blood between races lighten the color of a few, don't you think!

Also, in Africa, Mulattos are not afraid to call themselves mulattos. Blacks do the same with their own self and whites do such thing as well. I just don't understand why African-Americans (most are arguably mulattos in nature) want to hide their real composition behind the notion of being 100% Africans, when more than a few have something else going.

It's one thing for people to recongnize they are something in closed door and go with the flow in public, its a totally different ball game to be who you truly are (ie. a Mulatto) and not worry what the rest of the world thinks.

After all, isn't that mentality that lead to the civil rights movement in the 1960s? A group of people who decided to stand for what they believed? Mulattos need to stop hiding and develop their own identity and recognize that they are not white or black, but Mulatto.

Just how hydrogen combined with oxygen gives water. Water is not hydrogen or oxygen, but the combination of the two. Hydrogen alone cannot create water, oxygen alone cannot create water. In fact, each element in its self is very different from each and has a different function in the chemical balance of nature, but put those two together and you get water, something totally different.

Would you say that water is hydrogen? or that water is oxygen? Absolutely not! Water is water, hydrogen is hydrogen and oxygen is oxygen. three totally different things with different purposes and different reactions to the outside world.

The same thing can be said of whites, blacks, and Mulattos. A mulatto is not white, a mulatto is not black. As such, a mulatto can't identify him/herself behind those false images of him/herself. A mulatto is a mulatto and he/she must not be ashamed of that reality. In the contrary, a Mulatto in the US must stand up to be recognize as the reality that he/she is. In other words, a Mulatto must always stand up and identify as a Mulatto.

If the rest of the world don't like it, tough. After all, it's not as if a Mulatto decided to be a mulatto in this world. Ethnicity is not something people can choose on. You are what you are, the next best thing is to recognize yourself for what you are and not what others want you to be for their own sake!

American mulattos need to learn that they are not black or white, but Mulattos whether they like it or not!

Dominicans have figured it out, Cubans have figured it out, and the rest of the world where mulattos exist have figured it out as well. The US has not and its time that it does. In the time of political correctness that the US is in, recognizing a Mulatto for being a Mulatto is as essential as anything for the sake of believing in the truth.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nal0whs said:
......I did not based such notion of Television, I based it on what I saw with my own eyes when I went to Nairobi. It was a family trip to the Kruger (spelling?) national park there for a wild safari experience. Lots of charcoal colored people there.

Nals, I do not know where your eyes were, on television, in Nairobi or in the Kruger National Park or on a wild safari experience (read tourist). These four are many miles away from one another. You've got your countries mixed up. Seems to me you need to stay "out of Africa" in debate. You don't know what you are talking about.

Let me enlighten you - in Africa, we have black, charcoal black people, we have a little less black people, and then again a little less black people, till you get around the shade of brown. And then you have a little less brown till you get around the shade of yellow... and then you have a little less yellow and a little more rose, until you get to the shade of what is common called white. And most of us Africans do not care (excepting the ones living in the US). And Nairobi still is very far away from the Kruger National park. And a wild safari experience still is very far away from living and growing up in Africa.

And what that has to do with the DR, I don't know - except that I know you're talking crap!

Not only are you talking crap, you don't know what an African is. I am not mulatto, I am not black, I am not white -- I am African - All this passion makes me think of Meryl Streep!

Last edited:

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Zoe saldana from The terminal and pirates of the caribbean

Miguel a Nunez from Juwanna mann and Friday the 13th part 5.

Fabolous is Half dominican and African american he is a singer in hip hop

Aventura they where born in The bronx

Aguakate- dominican Merengue ripiao

many more

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chris said:
Nals, I do not know where your eyes were, on television, in Nairobi or in the Kruger National Park or on a wild safari experience (read tourist). These four are many miles away from one another. You've got your countries mixed up. Seems to me you need to stay "out of Africa" in debate. You don't know what you are talking about.

Let me enlighten you - in Africa, we have black, charcoal black people, we have a little less black people, and then again a little less black people, till you get around the shade of brown. And then you have a little less brown till you get around the shade of yellow... and then you have a little less yellow and a little more rose, until you get to the shade of what is common called white. And most of us Africans do not care (excepting the ones living in the US). And Nairobi still is very far away from the Kruger National park. And a wild safari experience still is very far away from living and growing up in Africa.

And what that has to do with the DR, I don't know - except that I know you're talking crap!

Not only are you talking crap, you don't know what an African is. I am not mulatto, I am not black, I am not white -- I am African - All this passion makes me think of Meryl Streep!
I did went to Nairobi the capital of Kenya. I'll confess, I confused the name of the national park with the park in South Africa. Anyways, the National Park that we went was away from Nairobi, but it was in Kenya and we did saw a few animals native to that region of Africa.

But, that I went to Africa, I did. And trust me, I know what color the people that I saw were!

Like I said, where you expected the colors to lighten up they did (usually the areas where Europeans and/or Arabs, depending on the region or country were present), but in areas that were not heavily affected by European presence, the charcoal black remains in tact.

The biggest difference is in the height of those Africans native to Savannah areas and those of the rainforests. Sharp contrast between the two types.

Correction, defining as an African is the same notion as defining as a Dominican or as an American, etc. Its defining one self behind a nationality or continent in this case.

We were talking race here, so it appears that the one who doesn't know what is saying is you. Keep it within the bounds of this conversation, please.

Edited: The national park that I went when I went to Kenya was the Nairobi National Park. It was just outside the city. BTW, Nairobi is a rather nice African metropolis. Very modern with highrises, shopping centers, and everything. I was impressed.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nal0whs said:
I did went to Nairobi the capital of Kenya. Now, I will confess, I can't remember the name of the national park that we went to see all those animals. It sounded something like Kruger National Park or maybe that's the one in South Africa. Anyways, the National Park that we went was away from Nairobi, but it was in Kenya and we did saw a few animals native to that region of Africa.

But, that I went to Africa, I did. And trust me, I know what color the people that I saw were!

Like I said, where you expected the colors to lighten up they did (usually the areas where Europeans and/or Arabs, depending on the region or country were present), but in areas that were not heavily affected by European presence, the charcoal black remains in tact.

The biggest difference is in the height of those Africans native to Savannah areas and those of the rainforests. Sharp contrast between the two types.

Correction, defining as an African is the same notion as defining as a Dominican or as an American, etc. Its defining one self behind a nationality or continent in this case.

We were talking race here, so it appears that the one who doesn't know what is saying is you. Keep it within the bounds of this conversation, please.

Nals, you keep it within the bounds of this conversation. I'm happy to do that. Like I said, about Africa, you don't know sh!it from sh!nola. In Africa, what matters is tribe. Not race and not color! There are plus minus 54 countries in Africa (depending how you count and who has invaded who). Having visited Nairobi once, and seen some "aminals" means very little. You cannot - and I say it again - CANNOT - draw race cards here, let alone decide who is mulatto and who not.

Seems like it is different in the DR and I'm learning that color matters here. Also, I'm happy not to talk about that as it really does not matter to me.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chris said:
Nals, you keep it within the bounds of this conversation. I'm happy to do that. Like I said, about Africa, you don't know sh!it from sh!nola. In Africa, what matters is tribe. Not race and not color! There are plus minus 54 countries in Africa (depending how you count and who has invaded who). Having visited Nairobi once, and seen some "aminals" means very little. You cannot - and I say it again - CANNOT - draw race cards here, let alone decide who is mulatto and who not.

Seems like it is different in the DR and I'm learning that color matters here. Also, I'm happy not to talk about that as it really does not matter to me.
Let's end this here since its obvious that we are hijacking this thread. In fact, we are going in circles.

But, I'll end it by saying this...

I am not basing everything I believe about Africa on that trip to Kenya alone. I am basing it on what other people who have visited other countries of Africa have told me, on what I have read from different sources and books, and on my overall understanding of Africa, its history, its people, etc.

If all of that is sh't, as you put it, then so be it. But, all those scholars and authors and anthropologists and friend of mine who have given me a wider sense of what is Africa today, in addition to my own experience in Kenya and I agree, my experience of Kenya is not representative of all of Africa, but I sure am positive that all those people from whom I have gathered my information did not invented that stuff off the backs of their heads.

Africa is mixed, but there is still alot of pure blood walking around and many of those pure are charcoal black. The lighter ones probably had some incursion of lighter peoples sometime in their geneological and biological history.

I'll end it with that.

Now, let this thread return to its original purpose...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A very short reply -- I always play by the rules, so maybe some moderator will give me a little rope here... African people did not become 'lighter-skinned' because of European or other lighter people intermarrying or whatever... The first explorers on the coast of now known south african and south west african (namibia) found light brown skinned people there already. Please read up on this - read up on the explorer Vasco da Gama from Portugal. Here is a link - even in 1490's he talks about skin color as 'tawny' -- Lovely light brown peoples... Africa is not pitch black.. there are lots of colors. http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1497degama.html

Has no-one thought about the fact that this color issue has to do with the sun? People's close to the equator are darker than peoples away from the equator? You went to a country close to central africa. Of course people are dark there... If you are interested, also read some fiction... James Michener wrote a wonderful novel called The Covenant... explaining how the darker tribes from Northern Africa by necessity migrated south - and the major clash between these tribes and the white europeans, who by that time, were colonizing the Cape, on search of a shipping route to the spice islands of Madagascar and India...

Anyway... I'll leave you to it and leave the thread to it. Just remember, because I've been on the Malecon a few times, does not make me qualified to talk about the Dominicans with great knowledge....

Many people may have told you about Africa Nals, but I grew up there... Base your knowledge on first hand knowledge, not what someone tells you - who knows what their prejudices are...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.