Why are Dominican Americans mostly ignored in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Damian said:
Many Americans are ignorant about Dominicans, In the south where I live, people think Dominicans are a foreign black group.

Well we are for the most part.... that is not inacurate.

They're invisible in most America mainstream.

....... You might have a point here, because alot of dominicans are just assumed to be african american...like Alfonso Ribeiro from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Last edited:

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Nal0whs said:
In the DR, pure blacks (non mixed Africans or decendents of Africans) only make up around 10 to 11% of the people, and most of these are decendants of American blacks who settled in Samana, decendants of British west indian slaves who settled in San Pedro de Macoris and decendants of Haitian migrants. Very few pure Dominican blacks are 100% decendant of slaves who were brought to the DR by the Spaniards.

You're implication that the blacks in the Dominican Republic are somehow not really dominican, and are all of haitian, african-american, or west-indian origin is VERY insulting, and extremely inaccurate....and it just perpetuates the racist notion that "true" dominicans are the lightskinned ones, and the darkskinned dominicans are all haitian...

In addiition i dont think there is anybody in the dominican republic (black or white), that is of pure european or african ancestry (except recent immigrants); its a statistical impossibility considering that the majority on the island have been of mixed race for centuriess -- even with selective marriage, racial admixture would be impossible to avoid.

.....but regardless of all of that, the majority of dominicans are still of predominate african ancestry.... and all the talk of "taino" is extremely exagerated...being that there is negligable amounts of taino ancestry on the island.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
R.Dennis said:
From my own observations in traveling the Panama, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua & Guatemala that in general people of African-Descent in Latin America and Non-English speaking countries are "light years" away in recognizing their own African-Descent. But read on your history you will come out enlightened!
Being a Black-Hispanic I will say it is true, but is is not their fault, you have to realize in these countries that they surpressed the African culture and instilled in them Spanish culture. In some of these countries they talk about nothing of the contributions that people of color made to their countries it is no different than here in America where they glorified.

soidios

Aug 16, 2005
I love it when african americans try to tell hispanics that they are black. We are Dominican. We hold little cultural similarities of that of an American, and are what we are. Which is not black or white, we are hispanics from the island of Hispanola. Dominican Republic is our birth ground, not the US.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
You have a valid point

soidios said:
I love it when african americans try to tell hispanics that they are black. We are Dominican. We hold little cultural similarities of that of an American, and are what we are. Which is not black or white, we are hispanics from the island of Hispanola. Dominican Republic is our birth ground, not the US.

True.........but just to clarify Hispanics can be of any race--white, black, native, or a mixture of the three. Being latino does not designate "racial" classification.

LadiiCalii

Sep 5, 2005
soidios said:

I love when Hispanics can't tell the difference between social race, ethnicity, and nationality... But I agree with you on DR being your birth ground... and that is why your people are ignored in the US.
And the person above me is right... being Hispanic/Latino has zero to do with your race, and is misinterpreted by many. Cops won't pull you over because you look like you speak Spanish, they may pull you over because you look black or amerindian... they don't know what language you speak when they assume you stole the car you drive or are trigger happy.

MissIvana

Sep 3, 2005
Did you ever watch the show? [Steve Harvey]

FuegoAzul21 said:
There are few other dominicans too , but i think they stay low key about being Dominican cuase it might hurt thier careers (notice that many played strong African American roles)merlin santana(R.I.P) was Dominican ,he was on the steve harvey show , then there is alphonso ribeiro (carlton) from fresh prince of belair , i think one of the guys from fast in furious was dominican , i think his name is something morales ,michelle rodriguez is half dominican , she was in some surfing movie ,and the one where she is girl boxer ( i forgot most of the names of the movies) , she has had a few and as for u not knowing ur roots ,thats more your fault than any one elses(it could be your parents fault too) , and most people in the south have probably never met a dominican and know of them ONLY through baseball , so that explains the foriegn black people thing

Merlin Santana portrayed a hispanic charcter on the show. When his parents appeared they spoke spanish and had very strong spanish accents.

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
don?t even think about ?coming back?

Damian said:
Except for just baseball, I never see Dominicans in American movies, music or television, and there has been Dominicans in America for a long time.

Mexicans, Cubans and Boricuas get more attention, I'm half Dominican and I know almost nothing about my roots.

Many Americans are ignorant about Dominicans, In the south where I live, people think Dominicans are a foreign black group. They're invisible in most America mainstream.
If you even think about coming back to this 5th world country forget about it Why ????????
1. DR is the highest taxed country in the Caribbean
2. Cost of living is cheaper in Miami, Boston or New York fpr example chicken is at least double the cost here. All foods & clothing are double or triple the price you pay anywhere in the US
3. You lose all of your legal rights in the Dominican Republic. If you are injured in an accident whether you are 100% right, no legal recourse is available. A relative was driving his car and ran into a large trailor parked on a road with no lights or warning. He was decapitated ( his head was cut off) His Family tried a lawsuit, and was advised to forget about it. He left a wife and 4 kids. If someone with ?connections?wants to construct a commercial store or building next to your house, they can do anything they want, and you can complain to the building department, but you only get hot air from those clerks you waste your time talking to.
4. NO MAIL SERVICE. FORGET ABOUT RECEIVING OR SENDING MAIL. IT DOES NOT EXIST. THERE ARE SEVERAL PRIVATE SERVICES AVAILABLE, BUT THE COST IS OVER $1.00 US DOLLAR FOR RECEIVING AND MAILING EACH LETTER. PACKAGES DEPENDING ON SIZE COST A MINIMUM OF $10.00 us FOR A SMALL PACKAGE THAT WOULD COST $3.00 IN THE US.
5. TELEPHONE IS OUTRAGEOUS. To telephone a relative or friend in NY cost $40 cents US per minute. My relatives & friends pay $5.00 US for a card that gives 2 hours to telephone from the US
6. Airline tickets are the most expensive in the DR, than any other Caribbean Country. Due to Leonel?s insane taxing of the people. A tax of $100 US ads 50% surcharge.
7. A car that costs $20,000 in the US will cost you $40,000 in the DR.
8. CORRUPTION is everywhere in this Government. A decorator/friend, Margarita Gomez was awarded $350 million dollar DR, contract to furnish the new court building. All imported furniture, while fine mahogany and upholstered furniture is available here. Then Margarita stored the furniture in a warehouse owned by Paulino Corrino, the biggest drug dealer who goes on trial in New York in Sept. Pepe Goico, a Colonel who was in charge of security for Hippolito and was his contact for payoffs is living in Spain, and will stand trial if ever he can be brought back here. Plan Renove, was supposed to permit Dominicans an opportunity to own a new bus. But was corrupted by those in power who stole ove $100 million dollars US in buses, and none were offered to the people who were supposed to get them.
9. Schools for the public are a disgrace. Most have no seats for the kids, and the buildings are in disrepair. Yet Leonel travels almost monthly to receive an award or attend a lobster dinner somewhere in the US, or Spain. Leonel keeps pushing for programs such as an island off the malecone, or a subway, where millions of dollars will be available for him and his cronies to help themselves to
10 Hospitals, while Leonel spends billions on self enrichment programs, hospitals go without supplies, and people die.
My advice is to visit here to see Mom & Pop, but read the above message, and enjoy electric service in the US, because the lights are off every day, and yet they manage to charge the highest rates for electric service that is non existent.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
oouchh!!!

Porfirio said:
If you even think about coming back to this 5th world country forget about it Why ????????
1. DR is the highest taxed country in the Caribbean
2. Cost of living is cheaper in Miami, Boston or New York fpr example chicken is at least double the cost here. All foods & clothing are double or triple the price you pay anywhere in the US
3. You lose all of your legal rights in the Dominican Republic. If you are injured in an accident whether you are 100% right, no legal recourse is available. A relative was driving his car and ran into a large trailor parked on a road with no lights or warning. He was decapitated ( his head was cut off) His Family tried a lawsuit, and was advised to forget about it. He left a wife and 4 kids. If someone with ?connections?wants to construct a commercial store or building next to your house, they can do anything they want, and you can complain to the building department, but you only get hot air from those clerks you waste your time talking to.
4. NO MAIL SERVICE. FORGET ABOUT RECEIVING OR SENDING MAIL. IT DOES NOT EXIST. THERE ARE SEVERAL PRIVATE SERVICES AVAILABLE, BUT THE COST IS OVER $1.00 US DOLLAR FOR RECEIVING AND MAILING EACH LETTER. PACKAGES DEPENDING ON SIZE COST A MINIMUM OF $10.00 us FOR A SMALL PACKAGE THAT WOULD COST $3.00 IN THE US.
5. TELEPHONE IS OUTRAGEOUS. To telephone a relative or friend in NY cost $40 cents US per minute. My relatives & friends pay $5.00 US for a card that gives 2 hours to telephone from the US
6. Airline tickets are the most expensive in the DR, than any other Caribbean Country. Due to Leonel?s insane taxing of the people. A tax of $100 US ads 50% surcharge.
7. A car that costs $20,000 in the US will cost you $40,000 in the DR.
8. CORRUPTION is everywhere in this Government. A decorator/friend, Margarita Gomez was awarded $350 million dollar DR, contract to furnish the new court building. All imported furniture, while fine mahogany and upholstered furniture is available here. Then Margarita stored the furniture in a warehouse owned by Paulino Corrino, the biggest drug dealer who goes on trial in New York in Sept. Pepe Goico, a Colonel who was in charge of security for Hippolito and was his contact for payoffs is living in Spain, and will stand trial if ever he can be brought back here. Plan Renove, was supposed to permit Dominicans an opportunity to own a new bus. But was corrupted by those in power who stole ove $100 million dollars US in buses, and none were offered to the people who were supposed to get them.
9. Schools for the public are a disgrace. Most have no seats for the kids, and the buildings are in disrepair. Yet Leonel travels almost monthly to receive an award or attend a lobster dinner somewhere in the US, or Spain. Leonel keeps pushing for programs such as an island off the malecone, or a subway, where millions of dollars will be available for him and his cronies to help themselves to
10 Hospitals, while Leonel spends billions on self enrichment programs, hospitals go without supplies, and people die.
My advice is to visit here to see Mom & Pop, but read the above message, and enjoy electric service in the US, because the lights are off every day, and yet they manage to charge the highest rates for electric service that is non existent.
Reality sure bites!

VatoUnico

Sep 7, 2005
wventura said:
You're implication that the blacks in the Dominican Republic are somehow not really dominican, and are all of haitian, african-american, or west-indian origin is VERY insulting, and extremely inaccurate....and it just perpetuates the racist notion that "true" dominicans are the lightskinned ones, and the darkskinned dominicans are all haitian...

In addiition i dont think there is anybody in the dominican republic (black or white), that is of pure european or african ancestry (except recent immigrants); its a statistical impossibility considering that the majority on the island have been of mixed race for centuriess -- even with selective marriage, racial admixture would be impossible to avoid.

.....but regardless of all of that, the majority of dominicans are still of predominate african ancestry.... and all the talk of "taino" is extremely exagerated...being that there is negligable amounts of taino ancestry on the island.

No verdad about your statement of Taino mixture!

Marque aqui!

VatoUnico

Sep 7, 2005
Nal0whs said:
Well, maybe African-Americans should get down from their high horse and realize that there is a lot more mixture among them than they prefer to accept!

Here are a few sources, but do your own research and you will see that the USA is more Mulatto than previously thought. It's not wishful thinking, its a fact!

:eek:
Code:
Well, maybe African-Americans should get down from their high horse and realize that there is a lot more mixture among them than they prefer to accept!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/onedrop.html

http://www.martygrant.com/gen/origins/race-codes.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KAY/is_2_6/ai_103192540

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/mulatto/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/
;) :)

Many of us multigenerational mixed/part African-Americans do claim our mixedness, but we get dissed a lot especially by some so-called first generational mixed/part black folks/intraracists.

Also, I'm so happy that you made that statement and it's about time someone have some sense in this paiz loca!

creoleboy20

Jun 4, 2005
soidios said:

intresting that you say that with such pride(sarcaism) noting that i am blk and live in the staes and i have many latin freinds from cuba to pr and all of them do not percieved dominicans as hispanics and you can contiued to say that but in america the dominican culture is ignored and not really a big deal such as cuban or pr which you also here of

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
A book I think should be read for a better understanding....

I think anyone interested as to why NO one Recognizes "Mulatto" as a racial category in the US and why People of African and partial African Descent in the US hold to a Black Identity, while most people of African Descent in Latin America are either Mulatto and in some cases White, Should read:
Who is Black? One nation's definition by F. James Davis. This book is reasonably objective and doesn't give a political slant, just analyzes the "What's", "Where's", "Who's" and "Why's" of "How" "Black" is defined in the U.S., as compared to the rest of the world.

http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-02172-1.html

Here is a sample chapter:

http://www.psupress.org/Justataste/samplechapters/justatasteDavis.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0271021721/103-3446779-1905454?v=glance

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/onedrop.html

I hope this helps...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
neverlost said:
I think anyone interested as to why NO one Recognizes "Mulatto" as a racial category in the US and why People of African and partial African Descent in the US hold to a Black Identity, while most people of African Descent in Latin America are either Mulatto and in some cases White, Should read:
The "One Drop Rule" was a blessing in disguise for African-Americans, because of this rule, the numbers were greatly enhanced and we know there is strength in numbers. Also, if Mulatto was considered non-black and therefore not acceptable to the many jim-crow civil-rights era laws, many of the leaders who were Mulatto probably would not have existed (MLK, Malcom X, Maynard Jackson, L. Douglas Wilder, Julian Bond, Adam Clayton Powell, Sr. etc..).

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Getting back to Damian's curiousity..I have this theory

The reasons why Dominican Americans have not made a hugh impact as a whole, has much to do with a generation problem then anything else..one of the biggest problem's are Dominican's all mainly migrate in NYC...and if they are not there they will migrate to a large city..and not a more productive community, it is going to take our generation the 30 something to change the mentallity of the new modern, more inter-active, intellectual, and open minded Dominican...

There is nothing wrong with knowing one's cultural habits as such but some people get caught up with the cultural issue, they believe if they don't do or eat, or act, or only participate..in things that Dominican's only do then that this would make them non-Dominican, D.R. has not yet erased it's tarnashed and non-productive past...and that has carried over thru generations, there are major developmental problems in our community the old generation are still hanging on to old views, and even when they land on foreign ground, they still want to keep the old ways alive..instead of taking and adopting a new way of life and productive thinking.

I was born, raised and educated, in the U.S. my main flag is the stars and stripes, I am of Dominican decent, I acknowlegde that...but I understood between the way my parents think and act and the way my educators taught me how to think were totally different..this is what education does you see...and I have seperated myself from cultural choke holds...

In closing ..when Dominican's start to look outside of there small square box, and become more of a giving, and a appreciative community, then people would know more about it's community as a whole...other then what they rather eat, or play, or dress...the community has been under-acheiving for along time...and mentioning a handful of actors and musicians...does not justified that we are not preparing a productive future for young Dominican's trust me, I am involved in youth sports in all levels and Dominican kids here and in the island, are no where to be seen! :cry:

michellec

Sep 13, 2005
Creoleboy20,

creoleboy20 said:
intresting that you say that with such pride(sarcaism) noting that i am blk and live in the staes and i have many latin freinds from cuba to pr and all of them do not percieved dominicans as hispanics and you can contiued to say that but in america the dominican culture is ignored and not really a big deal such as cuban or pr which you also here of

I had to register to this forum just to reply to your post. First things first: The term "hispanic" encompassed anyone who's from a "spanish" speaking country regardless of ethnic background. Whether you are black or white if you are from one of these countries you are "hispanic". So that would include us. Second, I've NEVER met a Puertorican or Cuban who doesn't consider a Dominican Hispanic or Latino. And trust me, I lived around Puertoricans for a few years (in Puerto Rico). And even though I didn't grow up around Cubans those that I do know would never classify us as something else, even if we as a country have strong African descent. If these puertoricans or cubans are US born and have never set foot on their respective islands then I can understand their confusion.
Dominicans are not african-americans or black. We are Dominicans. Period. We have our own culture and are a mixture of many backgrounds, even if we might "look" african-american/black to other people. Just like Vietnamese can look like Chinese to somebody who doesn't know any better. Yet they are two different cultures even if there are some similarities in the way they look.
Oh, btw, I'm Dominican born and lived there for most of my life. And even though I don't look like the "average" Dominican I am very proud of my roots and not ashamed of the fact that our country is mostly "black looking" or whatever. And I think if you live here in the US exclusively you really can't appreciate how diverse and mixed we are. My husband was in shock the first time I took him there. He hadn't realized how many different ways Dominicans can look.
Granted, Dominican culture is by and large ignored by American Culture and even other latinos but that doesn't mean we don't exist or that we don't have one. Many reasons were already given on this forum as to why that is. Some of which I agree with and some with which I don't. But whatever the case is I can assure you that most of us (dominicans), whether we live in the Island or abroad, would agree that we are who we are and we don't need to be lumped together with any other ethnicity just because you can't understand us.
Just my 2 cents. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Michelle

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
nice post

michellec said:

I had to register to this forum just to reply to your post. First things first: The term "hispanic" encompassed anyone who's from a "spanish" speaking country regardless of ethnic background. Whether you are black or white if you are from one of these countries you are "hispanic". So that would include us. Second, I've NEVER met a Puertorican or Cuban who doesn't consider a Dominican Hispanic or Latino. And trust me, I lived around Puertoricans for a few years (in Puerto Rico). And even though I didn't grow up around Cubans those that I do know would never classify us as something else, even if we as a country have strong African descent. If these puertoricans or cubans are US born and have never set foot on their respective islands then I can understand their confusion.
Dominicans are not african-americans or black. We are Dominicans. Period. We have our own culture and are a mixture of many backgrounds, even if we might "look" african-american/black to other people. Just like Vietnamese can look like Chinese to somebody who doesn't know any better. Yet they are two different cultures even if there are some similarities in the way they look.
Oh, btw, I'm Dominican born and lived there for most of my life. And even though I don't look like the "average" Dominican I am very proud of my roots and not ashamed of the fact that our country is mostly "black looking" or whatever. And I think if you live here in the US exclusively you really can't appreciate how diverse and mixed we are. My husband was in shock the first time I took him there. He hadn't realized how many different ways Dominicans can look.
Granted, Dominican culture is by and large ignored by American Culture and even other latinos but that doesn't mean we don't exist or that we don't have one. Many reasons were already given on this forum as to why that is. Some of which I agree with and some with which I don't. But whatever the case is I can assure you that most of us (dominicans), whether we live in the Island or abroad, would agree that we are who we are and we don't need to be lumped together with any other ethnicity just because you can't understand us.
Michelle
Welcome to DR1

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
michellec said:

Michelle

I think you STILL miss the point. No one said Dominicans are not Hispanic. However, Hispanic, Latino or Dominican IS NOT a Race, Babycakes! If you were to say that your Black or of Mixed-race,etc. then that would be more specific.

Furthermore, African-Americans traditionally have NOT Invented the labels that are thrown upon people of color, when they come to the U.S. from other places in the world. Usually they have been "thrown" in or Categorized as Black people. And if someone sees a 1000 people of color who look like and they Identify a "black" then naturally, you will be consider Black in there mind at first contact.

creoleboy20

Jun 4, 2005
neverlost said:
I think you STILL miss the point. No one said Dominicans are not Hispanic. However, Hispanic, Latino or Dominican IS NOT a Race, Babycakes! If you were to say that your Black or of Mixed-race,etc. then that would be more specific.

Furthermore, African-Americans traditionally have NOT Invented the labels that are thrown upon people of color, when they come to the U.S. from other places in the world. Usually they have been "thrown" in or Categorized as Black people. And if someone sees a 1000 people of color who look like and they Identify a "black" then naturally, you will be consider Black in there mind at first contact.
and that exactly my point just like a few ppl on here mention fabulous is dominican well in my eyes he is blk or how alfonso rebiero from fresh prince is dominican guess what in my eyes he is blk in america eyes he is blk half of most of these so called dominicans they mention have been in many african american programs and have been embraced by blks as just blk like us ...im a lighter complexsion haitian and when my family goes to haiti to do charity work and then cross the border to dr they always get mistakin for being a dominican like all haitians are very dark skin

michellec

Sep 13, 2005
neverlost said:
I think you STILL miss the point. No one said Dominicans are not Hispanic.
*yes they did and this is what I was responding to specifically.here's the quote*

creoleboy20 said:
(emphasis supplied)

neverlost said:
However, Hispanic, Latino or Dominican IS NOT a Race, Babycakes! If you were to say that your Black or of Mixed-race,etc. then that would be more specific.
*If you read my whole post I think I made the distinction pretty clear on the first 2 sentences or so: "The term "hispanic" encompassed anyone who's from a "spanish" speaking country regardless of ethnic background. Whether you are black or white if you are from one of these countries you are "hispanic".
You will find this EXACT sentence in my post. I should have made it clearer that I don't believe 'hispanic' is a race. But I assumed that could be understood by the above statement.

neverlost said:
*I never said that african-americans traditionally did this. I was responding to creoleboy20's post specifically. Every black person I've met, whether from the south or not, understands the difference between a black-looking hispanic and an african-american. So I couldn't understand why creoleboy20 wanted to insinuate that dominicans are not really hispanic but something else by his comment that not even Puertoricans or Cubans consider us hispanics, which is just not true.*
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.