Why do Dominicans applaud after a plane lands safely?

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I think they clap because in most cases they know they are getting off of an American Airlines flight. I'm going to start clapping too come to think about it.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Million mile club every year for 20 years........t.

Wait, am I understanding that correctly? You flew 1,000,000 miles every year for twenty years? That's a hell of a lot of hand clapping!
In fact that's an average of 20,000 flight miles per week. EVERY WEEK (well, 50 weeks a year) for TWENTY YEARS!
You must have had a 20 year case of Jet lag too then. I tip my sombrero to you sir. 

And I always assumed the clapping was just because the folks were happy to be back en la republica dominicana?

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
why do people have to overthink everything? what is with getting the expert opinion of a psychiatrist?

this is simple stuff. the people are on a plane. planes have been known to crash. people die when that happens. so, their particular plane got here in one piece. they are grateful. they are applauding the pilot for bringing them home safely.

that's it.

I applaud or should i say give thanks once the plane has really slowed down. :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I always thought it was an American thing (North, South, Latin..)

First applauds I ever heard were in the USA flying from Europe (and I have been flying before I could walk).

I think it has a lot to do with people being afraid of flying. Dominicans or Latin American tend to be superstitious too.(watch their faces during turbulence, priceless :laugh:, I have witness women holding their husbands, often see people praying during the flight). I don't judge.

Having said that, the clapping is louder during the Christmas season, people are genuilely happy to go home during the holidays.

MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN DR though is the arrival at SDQ, makes you feel like a rockstar- except no one is waiting for me, lol- It makes me happy to see relatives running towards some arriving passenger, people cheering. I just love it !!

I love airports in general, and flying to SDQ is everything during the holidays (including the flight!) ! I Can't wait to be DR in December :classic:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Having said that, the clapping is louder during the Christmas season, people are genuilely happy to go home during the holidays.

MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN DR though is the arrival at SDQ, makes you feel like a rockstar- except no one is waiting for me, lol- It makes me happy to see relatives running towards some arriving passenger, people cheering. I just love it !!

I love airports in general, and flying to SDQ is everything during the holidays (including the flight!) ! I Can't wait to be DR in December :classic:

I can not agree more. A few years back I had a flight back stateside a week before Christmas. I am at SDQ a couple hours before departure and spent some time in arrivals. To see the joy, the hugs, the kisses the Dominicans showed when family and friends arrived was enough to bring tears to a grown man's eyes. It was so heart warming and just made me wish Americans had the same family bond like Doms do.

...................MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN DR though is the arrival at SDQ, makes you feel like a rockstar- except no one is waiting for me, lol

You should have said something sooner. I will be there rocking in my ugly chair waiting for you on your next arrival. :)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece. ;)

I've been to Italy twice but can't remember if we did that or not.

Yeah, last year I flew from/to Toronto from POP and people clapped too. The plane was packed with Canadians. Only a few locals.
I did fly once from NY to Toronto but I can't remember if they clapped or not. lol

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

I think it has a lot to do with people being afraid of flying. Dominicans or Latin American tend to be superstitious too.(watch their faces during turbulence, priceless :laugh:, I have witness women holding their husbands, often see people praying during the flight)

I was once in a flight from NY with a lady who preached and praised the Lord all through the flight. She didn't shut up for a minute!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The secret is out

You should have said something sooner. I will be there rocking in my ugly chair waiting for you on your next arrival. :)

Thanks for the offer :devious:, but, after all these years, our taxi driver from LT wait for us and me and the kids run into his arms like he is their dad's :p We refuse to be left out of the celebration, lol

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

First applauds I ever heard were in the USA flying from Europe (and I have been flying before I could walk).

I think it has a lot to do with people being afraid of flying. Dominicans or Latin American tend to be superstitious too.(watch their faces during turbulence, priceless :laugh:, I have witness women holding their husbands, often see people praying during the flight). I don't judge.

Yes..that famous "runway" I call it. Like the red carpet. As for the clapping, for me it says I have arrived in the Dominican Republic, welcoming gesture.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
This is not a Dominican thing. I've been on a couple of international flights where over 90% of the passengers were foreign, and everyone clapped upon landing; for example, Paris-Punta Cana.

While DR's do it often, it's not just them that clap. Most Asian flight passengers clap when the plane lands. While most are just relieved that they made it, scare shizzless, they do it to thank the crew for the safe flight.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yeah, last year I flew from/to Toronto from POP and people clapped too. The plane was packed with Canadians. Only a few locals.
I did fly once from NY to Toronto but I can't remember if they clapped or not. lol

To me it is a Latin thing. THe first time i experienced it was landing in Medellin Colombia 20 years ago.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I always wonder why people of all parts of the world clap when the wheels first touch ground, as opposed to after the plane finishes taxiing to the gate. Many negative things can still occur after those wheels touch ground.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I always wonder why people of all parts of the world clap when the wheels first touch ground, as opposed to after the plane finishes taxiing to the gate. Many negative things can still occur after those wheels touch ground.

Simply because most people feel that there is higher chance for survival on the ground. That is why no one claps once you reach a destination by car (when the reality is that a much higher chance of dying in a car accident than in plane).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

I agree - I don't feel like we should applaud until the plane has slowed down.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In 2003, historian and the editor of the Diario Libre wrote this. I hope you understand Spanish.

Adriano Miguel Tejada

¿Porqué los dominicanos aplauden en los aviones?
Adriano Miguel Tejada
Todo el que ha volado en aerolíneas comerciales en este país, habrá pasado por la experiencia de oír cerrados aplausos cuando el avión aterriza.
Si varios dominicanos ocupan asientos en el avión, los aplausos serán entusiastas y, a veces, estruendosos. Depende de cómo haya sido la travesía.
Y no son sólo los dominicanos. Los latinos en general, -puertorriqueños, cubanos, panameños-, incluyendo a los españoles, aplauden cuando salen del trance del vuelo.
Mucha gente se pregunta a qué se debe esta actitud. Qué temores escondidos la mueven, que miedos enterrados, subconscientes, la motivan.
He consultado a sicólogos y a sociólogos sobre el fenómeno y presento a los amables lectores de esta columna, los resultados de esa indagación.
Un psicólogo amigo lo refiere como la expresión de miedos ocultos. Miedo causado por la inseguridad de encontrarse en una medio no seguro, el aire, donde las posibilidades de supervivencia en caso de accidente o cualquier problema son extremadamente reducidas.
Al mismo tiempo, el miedo a una tecnología que no acaba de ser aceptada en toda su seguridad. Es cierto que se utiliza cada día más, que la gente reconoce su importancia y utilidad como medio de comunicación rápido y eficiente, pero siempre queda en el subconsciente, en una esquinita escondida por allá, un temor a depender de una máquina y de personas que uno no conoce, de cuyas habilidades se podría inconscientemente desconfiar.
El miedo a la tecnología es una de las enfermedades de los tiempos modernos. La tecnología arranca empleos de las manos de los hombres, los aniquila en masa, desnuda su incompetencia, los obliga a aprender nuevas tareas a edades en que nadie quiere volver a empezar, ni volver a la escuela. En una palabra, el miedo a la tecnología tiene bastante sustancia. Todos lo sentimos en algún momento de la vida.
Por otra parte, hay algo de miedo a la aventura hacia lo desconocido que es cada viaje en avión. En gran medida, los humanos somos enemigos de las sorpresas, particularmente cuando nos vamos cargando de responsabilidades y de años (lo que venga primero).
Nos sobresaltan los temores de la obra inconclusa, del desamparo de la familia, del negocio levantado a base de muchísimos esfuerzos, de la vida, en una palabra, aunque digamos que no vale la pena vivirla en numerosas ocasiones.
Es decir, miedo consciente o inconsciente, o tal vez, subconsciente, pero miedo al fin no reconocido pero latente que nos da la sensación de inseguridad al permanecer encerrados en el avión por varias horas.
El encierro es otro factor. Mucha gente se siente incómoda al estar encerrada por horas y hasta por minutos, en un espacio reducido sin amarras a la tierra. No es solamente la claustrofobia ostensible, es la claustrofobia en el aire, doblemente pavorosa, la que nos ataca.
En ese sentido, otro amigo, poeta este otro, hablaba de la soledad del vuelo. Aunque se vaya acompañado, la odisea del viaje aéreo no es algo que se pueda compartir. Cada quien está solo contra los elementos y depende de sus habilidades exclusivamente.
Si esas habilidades prueban su eficiencia, en momentos de un percance, se ayuda a los demás, y la historia de los accidentes de aviación está llena de actos de heroísmo verdadero, de personas que han dado su vida para salvar la de otros, o menos trágico aún, que han salvado la suya y la ajena.
La soledad acompañada, -solitud la llaman los poetas-, inherente a toda aventura, es inescapable en el vuelo. Es cierto que cuando se viaja acompañado de personas queridas, -la novia, la esposa o los hijos-, ese sentimiento es menos perceptible porque la alegría compartida borra la preocupación, pero basta un movimiento brusco del aparato, la amenaza de una tormenta en el horizonte para que las emisiones cerebrales comiencen a activar las glándulas del cuerpo y uno se ponga incómodo.
El viaje en avión es una confirmación de la soledad de la sociedad de masas, en la cual todos estamos rodeados de personas y, sin embargo, estamos más solos que nunca.
En el avión generalmente viajan personas de parecida condición económica, de cercana preparación y hasta de lazos de amistad personal o profesional, pero cada quien va solo. Vamos hacia el mismo destino en el mismo barco, pero no se desarrollan los lazos de acercamiento que se producen en un carro público o en un autobús ordinario.
La diferencia es que, tal vez, en esos aparatos netamente terrestres no existe la indefensión de encontrarse en el aire, aunque un concho sea infinitamente más inseguro que un viaje en avión. A falta de la causa, no sentimos el miedo.
En otras latitudes, donde las personas están más acostumbradas a la innovación tecnológica y a aceptar su superioridad, esos miedos se sienten menos y la expresión de conducta que denota inseguridad no se manifiesta.
Si a lo señalado para los dominicanos agregamos la inseguridad ancestral que nos da nuestra insularidad, el sentido de indefensión del isleño abandonado a su suerte por imperios y amigos, se comprenderá entonces porqué los dominicanos aplaudimos al aterrizar nuestro avión.
No se avergüence por ello, compréndalo y suspire aliviado.

HB

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Nothing to do with being Dominican..Lots of folks do it all over the world..I never flew with American passengers though so maybe they are just too blase about the flying thing to even notice they have actually landed.Purely a relief of tension and joy at being somewhere else I guess,

Heck I even applaud myself when I get a landing where the plane is still usable...

Jan 7, 2016
My last flight back to the States from Punta Cana on a Delta 737-800 aircraft, when the plane touched down rather roughly at ATL, the pilot came on the PA and asked everyone to clap for the 1st Officer's landing technique, since it was his first unassisted touch-down! Everyone did clap and whistle and they all slapped his back as they exited the aircraft at the gate!