Why do the Dominican people have one of the highest amount of single -mother families

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Critical Thinking

Would it be possible because the other countries hand out condomns to juveniles and subsidize abortions for said all the while pontificating about 'responsibility"?

Of course.

It is possible for a gringos to use "critical thinking". I think not as logic evades them. How else does one explain rejection of scientific and legal definitions all the while claiming telling children to have sex and use condomns or get abortions instead of having no sex at all is somehow responsible???

Could it be because catholics eat fish on Friday and are allowed to have sex on Sundays only if they don't enjoy it?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Birth control has little account on being a single mother.
The reason there are many single moms is because neither the man nor woman have realistic expectations or the innate capacity to sustain serious relationships.

Yodel Gruelsohn, Organ Meatmaster

this is oxymoronic.. birth control has EVERY effect on being a single mother.

There is a concerted effort in this country, because of the heavy Roman Catholic influence, to prevent education on birth control, saying that such education promotes early sexual activity. La Iglesia somete recurso contra campa?a Profamilia - listindiario.com

Fewer than 30% of the sexually active adolescents between 15 and 19 regularly use birth control http://www.unicef.org/republicadominicana/prevencion_embarazo_adolescente2011.pdf

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
A single mother is a single mother because:

Man does not want to be a father to this particular woman's child.
Man has NO money
Man has other kids
Man lives in the USA
Man family thinks she is NO GOOD!!!

It is a thousand reason why some women are single mothers in DR and some is as simple as he just do not want to deal with the woman.

Some of the posters on this board OVER analyze everything.

Many of you guys live in DR YES????????? Why not just walk up to a woman and say" I was wondering why are you a single mother????

How in the world can you ask a BUNCH of NON DOMINICAN men and women a question like this???? Wouldn't a Dominican woman or man have more insight on a DUMB A$$ question like this.

I have a question why do so many outsiders living in DR have a FACE only a Dominican can love???? Now that is the question.

Why are so many gringos UGLY??????

Apr 7, 2014
this is oxymoronic.. birth control has EVERY effect on being a single mother.

There is a concerted effort in this country, because of the heavy Roman Catholic influence, to prevent education on birth control, saying that such education promotes early sexual activity. La Iglesia somete recurso contra campa?a Profamilia - listindiario.com

Fewer than 30% of the sexually active adolescents between 15 and 19 regularly use birth control http://www.unicef.org/republicadominicana/prevencion_embarazo_adolescente2011.pdf

Birth control is anti-contraception before the child is born. At what point would you consider rationally that the parents have no concept of a functional relationship is and that is why they fail? Unrealistic expectations and poor planning is why they are single mothers.
You are equating birth control with poverty control, which is very Sangerian of you. But what about the middle class mothers and divorcees and widows? What good does birth control do for them?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well I'd find it odd if you were slinging that much crap at Dominican women and still living with one. I know that you are generalizing and I observe the kind of behavior you are talking about, and know lots of single mothers, including some of my wife's relatives. For example her cousin Carmen- she has two daughters in their early 20's, both have children with Dominican guys living in the states. They don't have relationships with these guys anymore other than shared parenthood. The sperm donors in this case do pay some child support. Both girls and their children live with Carmen. Carmen divorced her husband about ten years ago as he was physically abusive and a drunk. Both girls work and are good mothers. Many of the Dominican women I know are religious ( evangelical or JW) and they don't fit your stereotype at all.

I have never thought much of Dominican women, or men as a whole. But I have known some good ones. I generalize when I speak harsh, because the majority are not good people. Everything has ex eptions, even Dominicans.

Your girls.....

Don't fit the steriotype, but exactly thought it though. Lets not pretend here that these girls had it in them to think of consequence, that they obviously didn't.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
here are stats from the World Bank Adolescent fertility rate (births per 1,000 women ages 15-19) | Data | Table which puts the DR way ahead (or behind) every country in the region in teen pregancy.. The number of 100 births per 1000 is over 3 times that of the US. Mexico comes in at 63 vs the DR at 100. Perhaps Bob has another source of information?

I think that this is the one major factor for poverty reduction.

We are talking about more that just teenage mothers here. The USA has twice the rate of Canad
for single mothers and teen pregnancy rates. The poverty rate is similar so there has to be other factors. I know literally hundreds of teenage and early twenties single females in the DR that are not mothers and are without doubt sexually active. Some form of birth control must be used.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A young woman of my acquaintance explains why she is a single mother in this way: (1) Dominican/Haitian guys are irresponsible, bad fathers who are not interested in bringing up their children. (2) Having children means having someone to look after you as you get older.

It actually makes sense to me in Dominican society.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Bingo!!!!!! BINGO!!! Your one of those guys.

Yes, I am one of those guys, the ones that stuck around for all the years and provided a stable life for my daughter and her mother until we decided she'd get better education elsewhere, and I could continue with my career which had been on hold for 8 years in all, and some. Her mother continues to work at her job within the medical industry, while studying part time to improve herself and options to relocate when it is right for her.

Yes JMB, we are one of those families that does what is best for our child, come hell or high water.
Pretty common, 8nce you get out of your project you'll notice people looking after thier kids, and 38year old males actually acting, speaking and carrying themselves like men rather than JMB's. funny stuff!

Apr 7, 2014
A young woman of my acquaintance explains why she is a single mother in this way: (1) Dominican/Haitian guys are irresponsible, bad fathers who are not interested in bringing up their children. (2) Having children means having someone to look after you as you get older.

It actually makes sense to me in Dominican society.

Question....if the men are so irresponsible then why are they f'ing them?
Dont believe that "Im a forlorn maiden" nonsense. There were two people who chose to copulate not one.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't think the comparison is fair as they are now millions of gringas who come to DR on vacations, and the vast majority return without ****ing a Dominican,the comparison is pointless.

Why do you think there are so many single women in DR ? Or Do you even think that there are more single women in DR than other places you visited ? Is it related to the socio-economic ?

What is your take as a Domican woman ? :)

So you agree that the reason for single mothers is not being able to cross your legs?

While millions of women come here on vacation and don't **** a Dominican man, many do, and the majority of young women who spend some time here either as volunteers or for work reasons , sooner or later, end up "interacting" with local men.

When people here talk about single mothers, they relate it to being irresponsible, promiscuous or immature, but there are many single mothers who actually planned to have their kids, prepared so they could provide for their kids.

First of all, single motherhood in the DR is more accepted than decades ago. For example, when my mother got divorced she faced negativity from people who thought that women should stay with their husbands to make the kids happy, that it's the job of a woman to keep the family unit together, even if the man is out there having flings. Now, more and more Dominican women are okay with raising their kids alone.

Then regarding unplanned pregnancies, in the past, if a guy got a girl pregnant, they were forced to get married, sometimes against their will. If they couldn't reach to a wedding, the girl had to leave town. If she was rich, she'd be sent to "study abroad". This was like a tragedy, a death in the family. Now there is no really such shame, no forced marriage.

So, there is a change in attitude towards being a single mom. There is also, as I mentioned, lack of sexual education and information on birth control.

Birth control is frowned upon. For example, I know this girl who went to the drugstore with a friend. She asked the price of pills, then the friend told everyone she knew.

As for being a mother, overall, there are religious motivations: women were brought into this world "with the special gift of being mothers". The bible says we have to multiply and reproduce,etc.
There are also economic reasons: Your children are the ones who will support you and take care of you from you're old. The children are the only social security.
Kids also give people a sense of security and companionship. "You gotta have kids". Men can go, but children are forever."
Even having an only child is frowned upon! You need the couple so that they won't be alone!

Apr 7, 2014
So you agree that the reason for single mothers is not being able to cross your legs?

While millions of women come here on vacation and don't **** a Dominican man, many do, and the majority of young women who spend some time here either as volunteers or for work reasons , sooner or later, end up "interacting" with local men.

When people here talk about single mothers, they relate it to being irresponsible, promiscuous or immature, but there are many single mothers who actually planned to have their kids, prepared so they could provide for their kids.

First of all, single motherhood in the DR is more accepted than decades ago. For example, when my mother got divorced she faced negativity from people who thought that women should stay with their husbands to make the kids happy, that it's the job of a woman to keep the family unit together, even if the man is out there having flings. Now, more and more Dominican women are okay with raising their kids alone.

Then regarding unplanned pregnancies, in the past, if a guy got a girl pregnant, they were forced to get married, sometimes against their will. If they couldn't reach to a wedding, the girl had to leave town. If she was rich, she'd be sent to "study abroad". This was like a tragedy, a death in the family. Now there is no really such shame, no forced marriage.

So, there is a change in attitude towards being a single mom. There is also, as I mentioned, lack of sexual education and information on birth control.

Birth control is frowned upon. For example, I know this girl who went to the drugstore with a friend. She asked the price of pills, then the friend told everyone she knew.

As for being a mother, overall, there are religious motivations: women were brought into this world "with the special gift of being mothers". The bible says we have to multiply and reproduce,etc.
There are also economic reasons: Your children are the ones who will support you and take care of you from you're old. The children are the only social security.
Kids also give people a sense of security and companionship. "You gotta have kids". Men can go, but children are forever."
Even having an only child is frowned upon! You need the couple so that they won't be alone!

That 4th paragraph is fiction.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There is the huge bordom factors that contribute also. over 14s tend to use sex as a 'something to do', like we used to play poker, or drink or watch tv, or just go for a walk, Doms who can't afford a drink, don't play poker, can't read, don't have a tv and are just lying around in seltering heat........ just fukc each other all the time, it's a fact and has a free high, for maybe a few seconds.

So bordom is a high contributor also.

And a mans attitude on producing loads of kids is just that more is better. No one ever dies of starvation around the campo or the barrios, the bigger the family the more to be brought in. HisvDuminican m7nd does not look at responsibility, his obligations. He is Duminican, he has none, void of both and morals.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
May be it is cultural to have kids at a young age in the DR, we know a student girl in POP she is having her first child at 23 years and she speaks like she is a old lady.

But sometimes the girls are really young (13 to 15 yrs old) and their Dominican partners are often 2 or 3 times their age. In that sense it is a moral issue rather than birth controls methods banned by the catholic church.

One of my doms buddy from Moca has one brother and sister (same parents), however on his dad side he has 12 more siblings. I know a guy from Santo Domingo (he lives in POP) and they are 22 brothers and sisters (different mothers), I know a girl from Sosua abajo and they are 17 (different mothers) etc, etc. It seems that there is a disguised polygamy system in the DR.

However from what I have observed kids are loved and celebrated by the all family and seen as blessings.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Being balanced many dominicans take care very good of their children even if they are separated with the mother. I knew one who worked in construction (they were 2 dominicans, the remaining were haitians), then when the joint was finished he was the cook of the restaurant, and after job he would work as a moto concho. He told me that he was doing that for his two girls. I know many guys like him in the DR.

And when the child is not supported very well by the mother, her sister , brother or parents would take care of the child. We rarely see this in European societies...

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Has anyone mentioned the fact that Dominicans will tell you they are married but they are not. In fact real marriages that are blessed by the state are not the norm here. Therefore lots of single women with kids. It doesn't mean that the dads are not around and don't love their children.

Not to mention the lack of education and ability of men to find jobs that can support a family.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Yes, I am one of those guys, the ones that stuck around for all the years and provided a stable life for my daughter and her mother until we decided she'd get better education elsewhere, and I could continue with my career which had been on hold for 8 years in all, and some. Her mother continues to work at her job within the medical industry, while studying part time to improve herself and options to relocate when it is right for her.

Yes JMB, we are one of those families that does what is best for our child, come hell or high water.
Pretty common, 8nce you get out of your project you'll notice people looking after thier kids, and 38year old males actually acting, speaking and carrying themselves like men rather than JMB's. funny stuff!

No no no no HUG!!! I mean one of those guys who come to DR childless and leave with a child.

You see HUG if I only read a couple of you posts you would seem like the last guy who would sleep with a Dominican woman nevertheless have a child with one.

London, Sydney, Paris, Milan, Montreal, Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Lisbon, Madrid etc seem like places you would be dating, but Dominican Republic??? You seem so HIGH CLASS like you only date women with Pedigree that would make Princess Kate blush.

You just don't seem like the man waiting for a Dominican love to join in the Swiss Alps. Come on HUGO how much money is your lady from DR really going to bring to the table, and you know all the schooling and training she receives in DR will be worthless in Europe.

BTW Hugo once again you have proven to be a GREAT man!!!! Now I see why it was so easy for you to find a woman in the DR. Your a great guy!!!

Any man that moves to a country like the Dominican Republic and place a career on hold for 8 years not 1 or 2 but almost a decade for a woman WOW!!!!!!!

Mr Bean was my favorite man in Europe now it is you HUG!!! MR Bean was just funny but you are a real life HERO!!!! and to top it off you provide for your child.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Childless before I came to Dominican?

You know something I don't?

My daughter is not yet a woman but I did indeed place my career on hold for her to be sure she is taken care of first hand.

You might wonder where the other years came from, my daughter turning 6 and so that's just 7 year 'trapped'. Well there is alot you don't know and because of your mentality could never understand. But my years in the country prior to aditional responsibilities are an entirely different Animal.
You can't imagine me, second guess me, even understand me. Your sort and mine don't mix, I chuckle when I see grown men acting like teens, we don't couldn't and shouldn't ever mix. Just as you can't imagine remotely what the mother of my daughter does, is trying to acco plish, her goals, where she wants to be what her realities are. So why fukcing bother JMB, you constantly try but like I guess is the story of your life, you fail to get any point over, have any impact as you intend. You just chat sh1t, all the frink7n tme about stuff you dont know and usually couldnt possibly know.

Do yourself a favour man, go back n hang with your bangers, become a statistic or something because you make no difference anywhere!

Good luck in stuff but you got nothing I an even be bothered to ĺook at anymore. ptft!,

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Haha I do agree with you JMB I have never seen so many ugly gringo's (all expats included) than on the North Coast!!

It is impossible to disagree, walk in any restaurant full of resident gringos and its full of people wearing invisible neck braces. Now I know the invisible neckbrace is punters in survival mode, don't look at the wrinkly eating with the 18 year old, projectile vomit will follow. And I.m not joking, I can not eat in the company of some of these fukcers.

Status
Not open for further replies.