Why Do you dislike the Semana Santa Death Pool Thread??

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
YOU are the only person who is making this a Gringo vs Dominican thing. And you are one of those that I mentioned was trying so hard not to show your rage last week, yet to most of us it is so transparent. YOU are the one banging on about gringos and Dominicans.
Those who would rather feed a dog than a starving person would do the same in their own native soil, India, USA, Canada, UK, Italy, where ever, because that is where their passions lie. Now you have to deal with that, like I said earlier, as people we have to tolerate things that make us mad, stop making this about you and yours, it isn't.
If the same thing was going on in the UK, US, Italy, Canada, and these people were also responsible, knowingly continuing to do the same thing year after year, then we would have exactly the same opinion, and the same in every way. If a fool kills himself, it doesn't matter where he is from to most of us, but you certainly seem to want to make it a race thing, which only really shows where your thoughts are, your insecurities are and quite possibly what you really think about gringos in DR.
We have festivals throughout the rest of the world that we all know are bad news to visit, we all know that there will be disasters, and we all say the same thing about those who continue to go. You have it in your mind that Dominicans are relevant in all this, they are not, you are not, its a human nature thing, people will be people.

We all take the pi$$ out of each other for the stupid things we do. The rule of life and being happy is if you don't enjoy it, then change it. Same applies to everything, even online forums!!

So get over it, your colours are running!

Actually Hug, she has a valid point in that many on DR1 consistently talk down about the country as a whole and some go as far as sometimes belittling Dominicans as a whole. I cannot count the number of posts I've read where I just shake my head and wonder why the person posting lives here in the first place. I also see from many other posts that you seem to have a personal issue with Aguaita29 and do your absolute best to bait her into going back and fourth with you on any given post. I personally, think that she turns you on probably because she has such an outspoken nature and is a proud woman and this you may be unaccustomed to given that you're British. Also, your statement that Dominicans have no relevance in all of this or this thread shows me how little you understand about what is and is not relevant to this thread. One thing that isn't relevant are your posts attacking other posters on this thread. So if you please Huggies, get your pampers out of their wad, hitch them up, and move on to another thread. None of this is relevant to you anyway. Maybe start a thread about the football hooliganism in the UK, and start a death pool for it. Something you may actually know something about!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Actually Hug, she has a valid point in that many on DR1 consistently talk down about the country as a whole and some go as far as sometimes belittling Dominicans as a whole. I cannot count the number of posts I've read where I just shake my head and wonder why the person posting lives here in the first place. I also see from many other posts that you seem to have a personal issue with Aguaita29 and do your absolute best to bait her into going back and fourth with you on any given post. I personally, think that she turns you on probably because she has such an outspoken nature and is a proud woman and this you may be unaccustomed to given that you're British. Also, your statement that Dominicans have no relevance in all of this or this thread shows me how little you understand about what is and is not relevant to this thread. One thing that isn't relevant are your posts attacking other posters on this thread. So if you please Huggies, get your pampers out of their wad, hitch them up, and move on to another thread. None of this is relevant to you anyway. Maybe start a thread about the football hooliganism in the UK, and start a death pool for it. Something you may actually know something about!

Actually I've been in th DR for the last 12 SS and so know quite a bit more about it than many. I mean are you and Aguita even in the DR you love so much and defend with such passion. I should not continue as you two are like a couple of sponges and I make you look bad. I'm not arguing. I am stating facts, facts you guys write that make you look insecure. Every expet community has it's pi$$ take about its adopted country. I've lived all over the world and it's always the same. Banter sbout the trials and tribulation.
You are so insecure of your DR thzt you obviously think our jokes and movking is relative, thst is the ifony that goes way above your heads and makes you look dull.. I constantly talk down about Dominican society being sh1t. So does the rest of Dominican society talk down about thier society, it's natural, because it doesn't function well.
Those who are resident, and even those who aren't have right to speak thier minds about the daily BS that comes with living in DR. Why shohldn't gringos speak their opinion? most Gringos know more about the state of the cou try than your averzge Dkminican, sk shat gives.
I was bosing out, but typically you couldn't read or couldn't just keep you mouth shut.
Either way, I'll bow out, been givdn the space to respond to you, nuff said.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
OK, enough. No more personal sniping between anyone.

Play the ball, not the man (or woman).

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
With all due respect many gringos here reject science, are drunks, chase after prostitutes that could be their great grandkids and promote homosexuality. Unfortunately, some here are so clueless they think these are positive traits.

Chip, I agree with your post. One way another you have identified all of us. Thanks. So why do you come here?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Betting on the misfortunes of others happens the world over. Is it immoral? Probably not, but to some it is certainly callous, in bad taste and for foreigners to use the process as a social commentary on the behavior of their hosts should be seen as disrespectful.

It is important to keep this and other similar commentary in perspective. Of the 65,000 members on DR1 there is a core group of posters who account for 90% of the volume. In that core group there are two distinct lines of thought. Those who do not view Dominicans as equal human beings and those that do. Not withstanding education levels, cultural semantics, driving skills or perceived willingness to take advantage of the foreign minority, Dominicans are people. They have feelings and sensitivities just like anyone else.

I am sure if we looked hard enough we could find a Spanish language forum where some sub-sect of Dominicans comment on how many foreigners will fall from windows during any given tourist season. This propensity to create separations between "us" and "them" happen on both sides of the coin and this is why it is so easy to fall into the trap of belittling or demonizing others who are not members of a specific portion of any given population.

The noise level of the posters who opt to have a bit of fun at the expense of the locals drowns out those who choose not to do so and those who not only opt not to participate but choose not to comment on how such activities can be seen as inappropriate and hurtful.

The practice is not immoral in the true sense of the word. However, as with many of the other comments that are posted here that offer a generalized opinion of Dominicans as a whole group, these comments are insensitive, can be perceived as disrespectful and stereotypical when clearly such comments are not actually reflective of the majority of Dominicans.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Immoral is drinking until you are blind drunk and then driving a motor vehicle. That is what is immoral that is being discussed in this thread. Those who consider a discussion to be immoral about how many people will die because of that behavior are trying to divert the blame from where it lies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Immoral is drinking until you are blind drunk and then driving a motor vehicle. That is what is immoral that is being discussed in this thread. Those who consider a discussion to be immoral about how many people will die because of that behavior are trying to divert the blame from where it lies.

Not sure why you are trying to justify classless behavior because of other classless behavior. Didn't you ever learn that two wrongs don't make a right.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure why you are trying to justify classless behavior because of other classless behavior. Didn't you ever learn that two wrongs don't make a right.

The difference between a discussion about how many people will die and those actually causing those deaths is vast in scope. I do not agree with you that discussing how many will do this is wrong. Killing someone because you partied too hard is wrong.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The difference between a discussion about how many people will die and those actually causing those deaths is vast in scope. I do not agree with you that discussing how many will do this is wrong. Killing someone because you partied too hard is wrong.

Sorry, both are classless behavior. I can only say after driving to Santo Domingo and back yesterday, and all over the city that there are far more police at the intersections and on the road than normal so perhaps they will make a difference in the death count.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are misusing the word "moral" Morality is a culturally defined concept. Not being a member of the culture you are accusing of being immoral is akin to the Pope dictating dogma to Hindus.

Drunk driving is not immoral, it is stupid, careless, self centred, a risk to onself and others but it's not immoral especially within a culture that tolerates such behavior. You are imposing your views on others under the guise of your own views of morality.

Hey, I'm not saying drinking and driving is ok, in light of the fact that I too have to use the same rules as these fools. Even in NA, drunk driving is not immoral. It is illegal, discouraged and those that do it are scorned maybe even ostracized but their morality is not called into question. Pedophiles have a morality issue, not drunks. At home being drunk is cause for a diminished capacity defense, cannot we not entertain that notion that at some point a Dominican drunk can no longer make a rational choice just like us. I go to bars and see gringos spend hours there and crawl behind the wheel to head home for dinner...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The Death Pool thread accurately represents the attitudes of many DR1'ers so there should be no surprise.

I'm glad this is on fb because it's about time Dominicans saw what many foreigners who live here think about their country.

Dominicans really don't need a reason to party but it seems this week has become a good excuse. This is like New Years Eve in the States. It is amatuer week and many people will do a lot of foolish things. That is human nature, afterall.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sorry, both are classless behavior. I can only say after driving to Santo Domingo and back yesterday, and all over the city that there are far more police at the intersections and on the road than normal so perhaps they will make a difference in the death count.

So we disagree. Nothing new in a forum where people have different viewpoints on a situation. The carnage will begin if we talk about it or not.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Dominicans really don't need a reason to party but it seems this week has become a good excuse. This is like New Years Eve in the States. It is amatuer week and many people will do a lot of foolish things. That is human nature, afterall.

I compare SS week to labor day weekend in the states with regards the careless behavior that seems to go along with these holidays.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If I make a joke about people of Polish descent, it would be an accurate statement to say that I am poking fun at an entire group of people and it would not be inaccurate to state that I am having fun at their expense. It would not be my intention to state such as a fact that realistically portrays a belief that the joke is representative of the entire Polish population, just the ones whose actions I find amusing. Ergo, I would be making fun of the few at the expense of the whole. Sometimes, that's not PC, depending on the audience.

As for the poll itself, as long as it is conducted in jest and no one believes for a moment that any Dominican reading such would immediately feel compelled to change their ways, it can be said that the participants are having a yuck at the expense of the whole. We know that this week there aren't 15 million Dominicans driving around in circles while drunk or doing other similarly foolish endeavors. I am sure it is only 12 million or so...

For the sake of balance, we could include a poll of how many gringos will meet an untimely demise during the same time period.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I can't wait until Monday to close that damn thread.

Hopefully, 0 casualties!!!!!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Perhaps the poll does serve a purpose, maybe those alcoholic posters will be reminded not to drink and drive.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Actually Hug, she has a valid point in that many on DR1 consistently talk down about the country as a whole

You are aware that no matter where people live, they moan and bitch about all the crap they have to deal with? You are aware this is not unique to expats residing in the DR. I am British, Brits moan about the sh1t and the system and the stupid people we live around. As do Americans, as do Italians. Hell, AS DOES EVERY DOMINICAN I HAVE EVER KNOWN OVER MY YEARS IN DR.

You need to step back, like I said, it is not important that this is about DR, this is where we are all related, obviously it's not about anywhere else. Grow up, ffs!!