Why does anyone live in the DR?

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Thank you all, and I really appreciate all the positive answers! I'm glad this thread has not taken a negative spin. I might have worded my original question a bit better.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
...I found a cinnamon colored dark-haired beauty one day on the beach.

Holding this beautiful girl in my arms I realized I wanted to tell the whole wide world to go screw itself.

For all the morons that have made my life miserable, for all the setbacks and frustrations and the a-holes who pose as friends who are never there when you need them, for all the girls who live to play mind games, for all the phonies and hypocrites...

This sweet young lady, in the short time I was with her made me forget it all and taught me to chase my happiness before its too late. But in the DR, its never too late...

And all it cost me was a plane ride to Santo Domingo.

Long live the DR and its beautiful women...all of you.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
And the best part is, that if she is not around a "replacement" is nearby (even if it is in a bottle :) ).

Nobody judges your age
Nobody judges your way of living
Nobody cares how you manage it

Everybody is happy if you are happy, let's make a small party.

This country is nature in many places as nature is supposed to be.

Do and think like a dominican, complain about the bad things, and forget them asap if something good shows up, make yourself happy

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
To die before the end of DR.

They want to impose on everywhere their vision of "democracy" and "development". To make everybody think and talk not about sex and real pleasures but about bills,loans, stock market, investments, real estate speculation, NBA, NHL, NFL , Brad Pitt, Tiger Woods , and so forth.

And let`s not fool ourselves - with their huge super power and with hundreds of fresh brain-washed baby boomers arriving every week - they will do it to the tiny places like DR very easy and very fast.

So, let`s try to enjoy our life before this happens and try to die before seeing "democracy" and "development" coming to our beloved, unspoiled and full of love and sex Dream Island.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They want to impose on everywhere their vision of "democracy" and "development". To make everybody think and talk not about sex and real pleasures but about bills,loans, stock market, investments, real estate speculation, NBA, NHL, NFL , Brad Pitt, Tiger Woods , and so forth.

And let`s not fool ourselves - with their huge super power and with hundreds of fresh brain-washed baby boomers arriving every week - they will do it to the tiny places like DR very easy and very fast.

So, let`s try to enjoy our life before this happens and try to die before seeing "democracy" and "development" coming to our beloved, unspoiled and full of love and sex Dream Island.

Another typical sex tourist who doesn't give a shyt about the local people. What a shame that people are so selfish.

Does anybody care about the common Dominican who has a right to have his taxes go to his benefit? Like potable water and decent schools and driveable streets and reasonable prices not governed by price fixing and monopolies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not to worry mu friend

You don't have to worry.Those "hundreds of fresh brain-washed" people are not lined up at Las Americas waited to spoil your warped shallow minded life. Enjoy it at your leisure nobody in knocking down the doors.

BTW--what made this "your beloved Island"??????????

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
This is a very interesting thread... I had really good impression about the DR when I went there for the first time and wanted to go back as soon as I can. For the second time - stayed in an AI and spent time with people who care way too much about material things and what others think about them - where you live, which hotel do you stay, which car do you drive, what do you do for living.... I did not like it as much. I guess this country has it all. I am learing how to figure out plastic people quickly so that I can avoid talking to them in the future when I am there :glasses:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sometimes I think people use the fact that the DR is undeveloped as a democracy and poor as an excuse to bash all that is bad in the West, especially the US.

I realize we have problems in the US as in every other country but what the hell does that have to do with Dominicans and their right to a better future? -absolutely unequivocable nothing.

FYI - governments that attempt to serve it's constituency is not an American or Western institution - it started a couple of millenia ago in far off lands. Therefore, it is completely irrevelant the nonsensical and without value to suggest that:

1. No part of the American, or Western "way" is valid for the DR. There is a lot of good in the systems of government, especially transparency and infrastructure.

2. Change won't come to the DR - it will. The DR's system of democracy is only 10 yearts old or so. At some point the population will realize that it is their right and they have the means to run the country for the benefit of the people, not for the benefit of a few. Expect returning Dominciasn and the youth to start to make a big difference at some point.

Furthermore, I don't undestand all the resistance to progress when much is at the benefit of the people? Do people actually think that if there is responsible government in the DR that the natural resources will be LESS protected? Isn't that counter- intuitive thinking? What the hell does everybody think is happening now with the current system? "They" are dividing "it" up as we speak, that's what.

Does anybody have a clue about how hard it is to develop properties deemed as "protected" or "sensitve" ares in the US territories? Well I do because it is my job and sometimes it ends up being downright impossible or at the very least massive donations are maid to counterbalance the development, such as buying private lands and deeded them to the Federal government for eternal protection as State lands.

The fact is there is a lot that could be gained for the good by copying the American system. This doesn't mean that all that "defines" the US will happen here - that would be impossible because of the lack of natural resources and cultural values - but to suggest that "nothing" could be gained from applying certain principles is downright selfish and wrong.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is a very interesting thread... I had really good impression about the DR when I went there for the first time and wanted to go back as soon as I can. For the second time - stayed in an AI and spent time with people who care way too much about material things and what others think about them - where you live, which hotel do you stay, which car do you drive, what do you do for living.... I did not like it as much. I guess this country has it all. I am learing how to figure out plastic people quickly so that I can avoid talking to them in the future when I am there :glasses:
Just wondering about your "second visit" to the DR and people at AI. What would these people and their attitudes have to do with the complexsions/fabric of the country? These are tourist that don't even leave the complex for the 7 days that they are there. Why use this as an example of "this country has it all"?
Perhaps we should comment on: why does a ex-pat live there(DR) and
everybody else?(ie: the Dominican)
I think the OP meant--why does an Ex-Pat choose to live in the DR?
No? Tell me.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Just wondering about your "second visit" to the DR and people at AI. What would these people and their attitudes have to do with the complexsions/fabric of the country? These are tourist that don't even leave the complex for the 7 days that they are there. Why use this as an example of "this country has it all"?
Perhaps we should comment on: why does a ex-pat live there(DR) and
everybody else?(ie: the Dominican)
I think the OP meant--why does an Ex-Pat choose to live in the DR?
No? Tell me.

I was not hanging out with tourists. I was with Dominicans (not the ones that work at resorts) and did not find some of them very genuine at all. I did not want to move to the DR after that experience although at the beginning I got very interested in spending more time there...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Initially, I came to DR1 to find information to help me plan a smooth trip to the Dominican Republic.
I have found much travel information, thanks to all the very nice people here. But, I couldn't help but read many threads that have nothing to do with my travel plans.
What I have also found out about the Dominican Republic, it seems, is that there is a ton of crime, no way to earn a living, questionable banks and government, unreliable electricity, Sankies everywhere, and what appears to be a general air of unhappiness among many who live in the DR, particularly the expats.
So why does anyone move to the Dominican Republic?
I'm just curious what motivates you all to stick it out despite all the complaints I've read.
Is it the Beaches? The people? What?
J in Memphis
first of all, a 1000+ threads /answers/posts on a bord does not mean that the specific person has any kind of knowledge about this country, specially about it's real people, that prove can be found in some prior posts on this thread very easy, just read them.
to the original poster and his simple question:
*crime: i travelled a lot of parts of this world for business purposes, not the ones dealed in a armani jacket with a tie on, i know of few countries with a crime rate less than the DR, specially pointing to my home country in europe and for sure the US
* way to earn a living: it could not be easier than in the DR to find a legal/non robbing/non drug selling aso way of living. you have the mind to run a business, which country makes it more easy for you to start one? you want to work as an employee on a beautiful beach? go to any watersports center in the PC area and if you don't get a job there you won't get any job anywhere. tried that somewhere in Washington DC?
* unreliable electricity: depends where someone lives on the island. i live in punta cana and we have electricity 24/7. on the countryside and in our house in the bario in san pedro we use "Inversores" to cover the time when the power plants are off the net. in the area where we have electricity all around the clock that is not the cheap stuff, but the service is there, the araes where it goes off for a while every day are mostly the ones which don't pay much, a high percentage of the habbitants there pay nothing, just connected, but even on that the government is working and in a while they will get it resolved, that kind of improvement isn't cheap and needs time, but we're on our way.
* questionable government: ????????????????????
where are you from bro???
of course the government in the DR has corruption, you will find it everywhere, and you don't have to search for it, you'll find it easily.
why i think that's not that bad of a deal??? because you can calculate it in all your daily life's pruposes, no hidden bull****, just all clear right to the head.
don't tell me now an US american government is not corrupt. who gets the money from all the missiles, bullets, guns aso used in those stupid and for sure not terrosist started wars all over the world??? the homeless on the streets of washington DC for sure does not get them in his pockets.
the bro at the corner of the south bronx neither, he may pay for it if he joins them to go over there for nothing, but the big money comes always back to the big guys iniciating the stuff the way where they make the big bucks.
* sankies: man, in what world you are living? why there are bi.. walking the fith avenue?, because there are ... looking for 'em.
this country wouldn't have not one sankie if there would not be our beautiful female visitors crying for 'em.
* unhappiness: now i assume that you may have read a lot of stuff in some books, on the internet, or heard by some people you know which been for a week in a AI somewhen, but it looks like you never been here.
of course we have unhappy people, too, like every country.
live isn't always pure sunshine for everybody and many, MANY foreigners come over to stay here on our beautiful island without an exact plan about what to do, hat they want to work for a living aso, but man, those low brainers are the same you have millions of 'em in your country and getting nothing neither. the ones who plan their settlement in an other country check out the area first, for sure not while visiting for several times an AI for a week or 2, they hang out with the real locals, talk about what's going on, check out what business can be done. they won't come out unhappy.
sure the ones been here for a bit of AI resort and plaza bavaro nightime fun, in love with the woman of their life after 3 days, getting a maybe job at a watersports center on their 2nd AI in love trip promised and settling over to the island with 1000 USD in their pocket(at least sometimes enough to pay the app and the love of their live for a week or 2) get sometimes unhappy after they found out that they really have to work, and get less money than expected, and they dreamgirl is only nice til the bucks are gone, yes, you're right, there are many of us very unhappy.
holy sh...
send them some brain for christmas and all will be fine.
to the rest of us electricityless, unhappy, crimethreatened and from corrupt governments beated Islanders:
have fun in the sun
because we know it better
Mike

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Being that I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary here a couple of days ago here is why I?m here.

I love the Dominican people. We have so much to learn from them when it comes to ?living? day to day. Sure there are many things about the Dominicans that I don?t understand and probably never will but I do know that these people love their children and family?s in a way that most western civilizations lost many years ago.

This is still a place where you can let your kids play in the streets because you know that your neighbors will watch out for them. This is still a place that you can visit with people you?ve never met. And this is a place where you can be what ever you want to be because no one is judging you based on preconceived prejudges.

Just like anywhere there are good and bad days. The bad days come when you really want to get something done and have a North American/European attitude as to how you think it should go down. It doesn?t work that way here. Things happen when they happen and if you try to push it generally it?ll just take longer.

I have not once in the past year regretted my decision to move to this wonderful island.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
And this is a place where you can be what ever you want to be because no one is judging you based on preconceived prejudges.

Oh really? Is that why I waited more than 30 minutes at Nelly Rent A Car in Santo Domingo while the other employees waited on people who walked in after I did and were lighter skinned. Or why when I showed my displeasure, one employee said "I thought you were Haitian" in Spanish. Or when I took the bus from Barahona and was the only one who had to show proof of citizenship at the checkpoints because I was the darkest person on the bus and was mistaken for a illegal Haitian immigrant. Or when the drunken prostitute in Boca Chica called me a "monkey'' in the middle of the street because I wasn't interested in pay for play. (or how the US consulate issued a statement online to boycott a bar in the Colonial Zone because it discriminated against black foreign diplomats) I am fond of DR too and plan to move there eventually, but let's not get carried away here. Its not heaven on earth. There is always room for improvement.

I know the DR1 policy on race. ("Let's keep it in the closet"). I apologize for telling the truth. I just don't want people who haven't been there to think it is utopia.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Initially, I came to DR1 to find information to help me plan a smooth trip to the Dominican Republic.
I have found much travel information, thanks to all the very nice people here. But, I couldn't help but read many threads that have nothing to do with my travel plans.
What I have also found out about the Dominican Republic, it seems, is that there is a ton of crime, no way to earn a living, questionable banks and government, unreliable electricity, Sankies everywhere, and what appears to be a general air of unhappiness among many who live in the DR, particularly the expats.
So why does anyone move to the Dominican Republic?
I'm just curious what motivates you all to stick it out despite all the complaints I've read.
Is it the Beaches? The people? What?
J in Memphis

As I said in my second post, (post #21), I might have worded this question a bit better. I found this site helpful because others who post here gave me very good information concerning my upcoming trip to the DR.
That aside, I never meant to stir up this sort of reaction.
I truly want to know what the good aspects of living on the island are. And yes, I was hoping for input from expats in particular.
There is a good chance I may have to spend a great deal of time in the DR, in the not so distant future, so I was looking for some positive reasons that people have felt compelled to make the DR their home.
I'm in no way trying to compare this country with any other.
Can't we keep this to the good things about the Dominican Republic?
By the way, I am a woman.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Why does anyone live in the DR? AKA "Let's all congratulate ourselves for living here without telling the whole story"

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
I am fond of DR too and plan to move there eventually, but let's not get carried away here. Its not heaven on earth. There is always room for improvement.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Even with all the aggravation, you still want to call the DR your home. So aimelove, I challenge you to tell me why you desire to live in the DR, even though you have experienced awful things there. I mean this sincerely.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
so I was looking for some positive reasons that people have felt compelled to make the DR their home.
I'm in no way trying to compare this country with any other.
Can't we keep this to the good things about the Dominican Republic?
By the way, I am a woman.

I'm a woman too :). I didn't feel 'compelled' - I chose the DR, or maybe it chose me? That was 15 years ago. I chose it for the indomitable spirit of the locals - maybe I wanted some of that to rub off on me? I chose it because back in my homeland I was considered a raging extrovert and here I'm just 'normal'.......... :cheeky: I chose it for the challenge and now that the challenge has largely abated after 15 years I continue to choose it because I can't imagine anywhere I'd be happier. And it probably also has something to do with the fact that I can make a difference, be it ever so small.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Even with all the aggravation, you still want to call the DR your home. So aimelove, I challenge you to tell me why you desire to live in the DR, even though you have experienced awful things there. I mean this sincerely.

First of all, being discriminated against is not aggravation. Aggravation is constantly not being to find a parking space on your block. Discrimination is demeaning (and it happens worldwide..not just in DR). But my post was just pointing out one wart on an otherwise beautiful place. And it is beautiful, even with the warts.

I live in New York. Awful things happen here all the time. I have a love affair with New York as well. But I would not allow anyone to go online and portray New York as perfect either. Been a lotta places. No place is perfect. The post I read was making DR sound like a perfect place. Its not. Its better than many places I've been, but perfect it is not. Maybe that was that person's reality, but its not reality.

To answer your question, I plan on moving there because my wife will have her mothers house when she passes away and I promised her that we would return there to live one day. New York is too expensive to live as a retiree. I want to wake up, go fishing and play dominoes, collect my pension checks in a place where I can afford to live.

Why do people make these posts and have to settle for grand generalizations? What is wrong with looking at things realisticly? Life is not simplistic. You ask me about New York, I will tell you the real deal, good and bad things.

Last edited: