Wify and I are planning early retirement in DR & have lots of questions.

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
Call me "CRAZY", but I get a "sense" from your posts that you will find it hard to "Blend-In" with the "ExPat" community here that I an familiar with!
I feel that you have an elitist attitude. A feeling that you know more than "WE" do. A "Generation Gap" with the "Old Timers" that have been here for years. Looking for a "Lifestyle" that does not exist here.
I suggest that you and "Wiffy" would be more of a "FIT" in a "seaside" community in Florida,or maybe the Bahamas if you want the "Offshore" experience.
Sounds like you are just "Blowing Smoke" up our collective A$$ES anyway!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lol who said anything about blending in??? If I move to the DR I doubt it that a white guy with blue eyes will bend in. I am here to find out about the DR from People that live there. And if that bugs you then oh well. (all my posts have been with that intent) If I am into guns, motorcycles and retirement in my early 30's and that pizzess you off then I am sorry But this still does not change those facts. I also forgot to mention that 2 other couples are coming with me and I will be paying for them as well. Thus if I under estimate the costs associated with the move the mistake will be x 3. Anyways I want to tank the dr1 members of all of the positive PM's and replys.

thanks for you postive comments
loco

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
But one can suppose by the type of questions being asked--can' t they?
Look at their posts and they are like a spinning top without direction.
BTW--how do you say "spinning top" or" rudderless ship" in Spanish?

Lets see from my understanding this is why DR1.com was devoleped. How else can we learn if we don't ask questions?

sorry that I an not an expert/know it all of DR (everthing, food, culture, exchange rates, laws, realestate, banking ect.. and I ask to many questions associated to the above.

loco..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Lets see from my understanding this is why DR1.com was devoleped. How else can we learn if we don't ask questions?

You can learn a lot by using the search function .. 3rd from the right, blue line above. Let's look at these questions for a moment ...

#1 Are we crazy?

You're going to believe a bunch of strangers saying yes or no :laugh::laugh:

#2 Where is the largest english speaking area? ( to make things a bit easier)

A little research will teach you that it is Sos?a on the North Coast.

#3 Provided we are not flashy is there great risk of being mugged/or personal safty.

There is a lot on the board about personal safety. Look at the stickies in the living forum. There is one sticky specifically dedicated to this topic.

#4 What is there to do at night (for english speaking people)

Drink, Eat and be Merry!

#5 How much is cell phone service there per month for local calls?

I don't know call by call ... we use a plan and pay some bucks per month. There are different plans or you can use calling cards.

#6 what areas are considered high class?

Where? On the North Coast perhaps Seahorse Ranch or a few other gated communities.

#7 Anyone do the same thing we did?

Yes, many.

#8 how hard and expensive to get american groceries?

Very easy, expensive, limited selection.

And all of this is answered with a few searches and some research on the board.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the beauty of the Dominican Republic is that anyone who comes to this country and spends a few fortnight will never be the same. regardless of where or how they hang their hat. the govt. puts something in the water that causes personality and behavior change. this usually winds up in some sort of currency exchange. bring money, lots of money, bags of money, suitcases brimming with bob, have someone back home that has money.................i swear there's something in the water....................budgets go out the window quick........it doesn't matter if ya come with 5k or 550k, it happens to everyone........

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Not all bad

Hello all.

Just as the title says. Here is some back ground. We are in our early 30's and are comming from the burbs of NY with a newborn baby. We have been to DR twice rented a motorcycle and drove to Sousa from Puerto Plata and explored.

#1 Are we crazy?
#2 Where is the largest english speaking area? ( to make things a bit easier)
#3 Provided we are not flashy is there great risk of being mugged/or personal safty.
#4 What is there to do at night (for english speaking people)
#5 How much is cell phone service there per month for local calls?
#6 what areas are considered high class?
#7 Anyone do the same thing we did?
#8 how hard and expensive to get american groceries?

thanks in advance we wish we could be more detailed but dont know where to begin.

loco..

Hello Loco,

First off, you'll be fine here; the majority of Dominicans are lovely, happy, outgoing and loud people. They truly live everyday as if it were their last whether that's a good thing or bad, it is what it is.

The cost of living here can be very deceptive. For example an avocado is
.09cents US, but a 1/4 pound of imported parmesan is $15.00US. The basics of living here economically are to eat and buy as many locally grown and produced products as possible.

Labor is cheap and because of that you can repair or remodel much cheaper than in the States. As an example you can purchase a vehicle that needs repairs and fix it up much cheaper than you can buy a car in perfect condition. It's just a little backwards than in the States where you can't get your car out of a mechanics shop for less than $200.00 no matter what.

You've been here I see by your pictures. Take your time, find the 'right' place, take a few Spanish lessons and you'll be just fine.

PM me if you want more information or need help.

All the best and good luck no matter what you decide.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
lifestyle change

If your thinking of moving yourself and 2 other couples to the island and pay for all of them. Then Cancel your airline tickets now because there is no way that you 6 can life on that salary monthly.. Sorry this island is not as cheap as some peole say that it is. I live in the Capital with my wife and two kids, my parents just retired and moved from california to here 5 months ago. They thought that things would be a lot cheaper, I told them that it was going to be more expensive then they thought....... Now they know.

Oct 29, 2006
Hello Locaito Blancito (whatever that means)

I really believe in my heart (lately my liver, due to age) that you are either full of youth, humor or bs.

Whatever your "condition" may be, I applaud your decision of leaving the old USA. So?

Where does that leaves you? The north coast, Santiago, Punta Cana or perhaps the capital, Santo Domingo?

By the tone of your post, I believe that it will be much better for you to stay in Washington, D.C.; unless, of course, you decide to increase your understandind of spanish and decrease (to some degree) your bs fantasies.

A friend

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You said your into Guns. Things are not the same here as in the US. It's not easy to get one here. You can but it's not the same. You may have to rethink that.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Don't burn your bridges....

I have lived here in Sosua since Aug 2006 and I came from UK with my partner. We have two young children of two and four years old. We moved here with relatives already in place, so we had lots of good contacts and advice before we came.

My advice is to try living here but not to `burn your bridges' with regard to being able to return to your previous situation if things don't work out. I understand that you're retiring in your early 30's which means you're in a very fortunate situation. However, the money you've accummulated can disappear very quickly here, so I'd suggest you come on your own and try living with your own small family before dragging along others who could seriously turn into a millstone around your neck.

I own my own property, but with private school fees, high cost of petrol and some groceries I find that I'm spending a similar amount to that which I spent in UK after paying my mortgage. We only eat out about once a week and a bit more during a holiday like last week, because it's generally a bit of a nightmare eating out with young children. We do buy Dominican Lunches for 100 pesos and we do eat dominican food at home along with fresh fruit and veg and the sort of healthy food we ate in England. I buy veg and meat in Charamicos when I can, which is a Dominican area where things are cheaper than in the expat supermarkets. However, I've been keeping close track of our spending since we came and we spend approx 700 to 800 dollars a month just on groceries. Electric can also be very expensive here. Prices fluctuate all the time for no apparent reason. Petrol has gone up at least 25% since we came and cigarettes for my partner have gone up by over 70%.

When you first arrive, you tend to spend a lot of money on stocking up a basic home, things such as furniture, electrical items, household stuff etc. Even if you buy or rent a furnished property, you will still want your own things. Also, you will need a car. We paid 9000 dollars for a second hand Chevy Blazer which has served us well. We already had access to a good mechanic who we took with us when we bought. I took the advice of people who had alread moved here and didn't bother shipping anything because of the `grief' and possible `unknown' expenses. Now that our spending has `settled down' I estimate that we still need approx 30,000 dollars per year to live one. That is just for a fairly basic lifestlye, with car and house paid for. I've spoken to other local expat families from USA etc and that seems to be the rough guide to a family of four. If you take that as a guide then on your 45000 dollars, you won't have enough to pay for the other couples, bearing in mind we spent far more than that in our first few months.

I like it here, but I have to say it doesn't `tick all my boxes'. My children love it and my partner enjoys his diving work. For me there is something missing, though I'm persevering because I know it takes time to get used to new things. I had travelled and back packed extensively to Borneo, Java, Bali, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Venezuela and Peru before having the children, so I was convinced that I would enjoy this lifestyle. However, travelling to and living in a place, in particular with a family and the limitations that brings, is a completely different `ballgame'. I have no regrets about coming here, because it was something that I needed to do, but I still don't know what the future holds.

So, I'd say, by all means come here and try it out. But don't bring other people with you or `cut all your ties' untill you're sure it's definitely where you want to be. Chris Colon's suggestions, whilst delivered in a slightly antagonizing manner, are not without merit, so don't discount them entirely.

Good luck with your decisions. Ultimately, only YOU can decide....

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
That should read 'Criss' Colon....sorry

Okay, I've noticed a couple of typo's in the above which I've edited but which haven't shown up for some reason...

Also, I tried to edit that `Chris Colon' should actually be `Criss Colon'. Apologies to him, before he comes down on me with that sharp tongue of his.....:cheeky: Don't actually know him, just noticed how 'cruel' he can be from reading his replies to other people....funny though....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, so am I. Sometimes the good goes with the bad.

Indeed it does. This doesn't always help people in forming judgements. I noticed a very perceptive post of yours went the other day (different thread, different forum). It was probably the server change which did it. But it doesn't change the fact that it was very perceptive and it should have been noted.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK For YOU "Sharlene"!!!

Here Goes!!!
Your post should be made a "Sticky" for sure! You took a long time,and some effort to tell(I think he is TRYING to be: Blanquito Loquito, but doesn't know enough "Dominican"! WHAT IT IS really LIKE TO "SETTLE" HERE!!! great job!!! tHAT "cruel" ENOUGH FOR yA?":cheeky:
tOO BAD IT IS JUST A WASTE OF TIME IN HIS CASE! iF HE EVER DOES MOVE TO THE DR his first beer (At Rocky's) is on me!!!
Just another "Drifter" looking for his "15 Minutes" I'll wager!!!
Remember "English Twit", or whatever Nickname Robert gave him? Another guy who was coming to retire in the DR. Where is he now??? Broke I heard!!
I may be an "A$$WHOLE",but I'm DR1's "A$$WHOLE:pirate: "!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I noticed a very perceptive post of yours went the other day (different thread, different forum). It was probably the server change which did it. But it doesn't change the fact that it was very perceptive and it should have been noted.

No idea which one that was. Unlike popular belief, the boss does not hesitate to delete the mods ... and sometimes, I even delete my own.

At least this one is a little cleaner now fwiw.

About living in the DR, (obviously not directed at you Lambada :laugh: - I'm off on another tack here .. ) the DR1 is for many people part and parcel of living in the DR. It is an influential board, with many important people and many not-so-important people talking about so many topics, it is sometimes dizzying. For English speakers that don't get to talk much English, it sometimes takes the place of most of their English communication.

Posts on the board have ruffled feathers, caused neighbors to fall out with one another, changed friendships, helped people make real-estate decisions, created friendships, spawned so many supportive and good works that it would be hard to count. The board also has prompted many people to study perhaps Dominican History, Politics or other DR related topics in depth, educated many about the how-to's of daily life and living, dispensed trainloads full of good information about the Dominican Republic, its highlights, its lowlights and its people. This board has rehabilitated people, and made others embrace the sweet arms of alcohol :laugh:. It has led many many newcomers through the first phases of velcro love for this paradise, to reality. For many of us, it is an indispensible part of our day and part of our social structure. Its entertaining, provocative and sometimes screamingly funny!

The value of the DR1 board for me however is yet a little broader than that. I am a technologist and I work in information technologies (amongst other things). I have great respect for what the owners have done with DR1 Forums. The board is undisputably one of the best, if not the best of its genre in the world! And I don't say that lightly. It does not mean that there are not sometimes hitches, fights or disagreements. That stuff is generally part of simply living.

So, I get a little miffed if people insult this board and its members in good standing. There is no need. The bunch of mods all have their own styles but each and every one of them is committed and do the job best they can and know how. I think the best thing about DR1 is that ... even those that are mad at it, or the people on it .. don't stop reading. :laugh:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Brava!

and I also fell in love with "velcro love" which I will now incorporate (somehow) into my phraseology. (is there such a word?)
john

Lorri

May 2, 2007
how can I find a nice home that doesn't cost too much. I am not a baseball player or rich I just want to find some place nice for my dominican/american family to live.