worst drivers in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
very profound ...are you a science teacher?
Better than that: Perfesser of DR Pontification...;)

Fact is, as I wrote in TWIP, you are a foriegn species in the DR driving culture, and it's up to YOU to adapt for your personal survival and the safety of those around you.

Other drivers have certain expectations about how you drive within the ecosystem. You vary from those expectations and you endanger all around you. You adapt, and everyone is a happy corpuscle.

Sep 19, 2005
the rules of the road are REAL easy here.....the BIGGER you are, the more rules you make, so driving a small car puts you at the bottom of the totem pole so get the ##$%%$$ outta the way....
I have been driving here 7 yrs and haven't had an accident, and see very few, but going back home to your so called "civilized" countries, I see way more accidents.....so I can't figure out who really is better or worse....but for me I would rather drive here than anywhere else

I think it is a combination of volume that is designed for speed. the system works, because people follow the rules!!

you are going 60 mph one way and the other guy passes you only 4 feet away going 60 the other direction....you need to know and follow the rules to stay safe in a condition like that.

In the DR there is way less volume doing the speed that americans do.

in the DR the rules arent followed and everyone knows it...so it is chaos in a controlled fashion...

when things are packed and tight, the speeds slow down in the DR...not so in america...75 , 80 mph four lanes wide.....get to work get to work!!!

everyone cant afford living in the city so they drive 50 miles to get to work , but they dont it to take more than an hour!!!!!!!!

I have seen plenty of accidents in the DR...the sad part is I bet there is more injuries per accident in the DR than in america!

lately the CT cops have been pulling over many trucks entering the state...why??

they are having a crackdown on safety regulations for big rigs!!

thank god!!

the DR needs that.

bbad bad bob

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
get off the road

I moved here a few months ago and drive everywhere. One has to be extremely into the driving experience and drive defensively and also aggressively at times to avoid problems. It is what it is. My only advise to people here is that when you make a mistake...be it driving, buying things, employing people and whatever...you will pay for it more than most other countries. One has to be more aware, calculated, awake and alive and careful here. In the DR there is no safety in most things you do... On the good side of things...there are few real rules to follow...

LOL... The last line of this post reminds me of an "inside" joke we in our family share with affectionate regard to the D.R. On our first visit here, (to an A.I. of course), we were all greatly enjoying the various differences in culture between our life in the U.S. and what we were experiencing in the D.R. Not the least of those differences was the apparent "anything goes" attitude with regards to many things that are simply assumed to be restricted by law, custom or social mores in the U.S. Of course that experience was even greater within the insulated walls of Riu, where the mantra of the entertainment staff, and in particular the Master of Ceremonies at the evening shows was, "ALL INCLUSIVE... ALL INCLUSIVE!!!". This could refer to anything from having another drink to, getting EVERYONE up on the dance floor for salsa lessons. (All inclusive!)

One day the four of us were sitting on the beach in the afternoon, and a small helicopter flew along the beach. My son, (always the jokester), commented that he saw the sign up desk where you reserve the helicopter to fly it yourself, "All Inclusive!" We all had a good laugh, and from that point on it became the iconic example that one could do anything they wanted to in the D.R., (even fly their own helicopter), "ALL INCLUSIVE." Even now, whenever anything is in doubt as to whether or not is it allowed or acceptable, we always just say, "Sure it's OK... after all, you can go fly a helicopter, why wouldn't you be able to do ____?"

Hmm... maybe if more people got off the roads and actually did fly their helicopters, the issue of bad driving wouldn't be a problem. LOL

Sep 22, 2009
Better than that: Perfesser of DR Pontification...;)

Fact is, as I wrote in TWIP, you are a foriegn species in the DR driving culture, and it's up to YOU to adapt for your personal survival and the safety of those around you.

Other drivers have certain expectations about how you drive within the ecosystem. You vary from those expectations and you endanger all around you. You adapt, and everyone is a happy corpuscle.

Yep. Where, on the road from RSJ-Cabrera where we have witnessed drunk drivers, drug-intoxicated drivers flying around curves passing on blind curves, killing other Dominicans on foot, mototcycle, a pick-up that took the curve nice and drugged up and actually wedged the truck into the side of a colmado 10 feet in the air.

I'm not so sure if these are the expectations that, if we vary from, we may "endanger all around us".

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Driving here is easy!
Just put in your mind that everybody:
is drunk,
under the influence of drugs,
has an IQ of less than 50,
can't read or write,
is deaf,
is partial blind,
doesn't have a driving license,
has a developing brain-tumor and
don't give a ****!

With this in mind (and participating) you drive very safe and relaxed.

wahahaha you guys crack me up because is so damn true everything you are saying........when im down there I get so furious at the other drivers, how rude and discourteous and my driver doesn't flinch, is like nothing bad is happening around him.....uggggg...I could not drive in traffic down there.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yep. Where, on the road from RSJ-Cabrera where we have witnessed drunk drivers, drug-intoxicated drivers flying around curves passing on blind curves, killing other Dominicans on foot, mototcycle, a pick-up that took the curve nice and drugged up and actually wedged the truck into the side of a colmado 10 feet in the air.

I'm not so sure if these are the expectations that, if we vary from, we may "endanger all around us".
Opinions certainly vary. The DR is not the only country of senseless accidents.

I'm frankly amazed there are so few accidents here.

When one *expects* passing on blind curves it becomes easier to anticipate.

Not saying it's great, just that it is what it is, and one must adapt to the conditions...because the conditions will NOT be adapting to you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I actually find driving pretty easy except in Santo Domingo, but then again I've driven in Nicosia, Cyprus, and Djibouti. Cyprus is narrow roads and high speeds and angry drivers. Djibouti is Camels, goats, pedestrians, motos, big trucks, and giant holes everywhere and absolutely no rules, and 90% of the drivers are stoned on Khat, which is like speed.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Exactly where is Nigua, JDJones??

You come off as quite the know-it-all for your area... So where is Nigua?
Possibly near Sanchez on the north coast of the DR? Is that Nagua?
Or near another town/city/country that others mention?

Yes, many comparisons can be made but learning FROM and IN each place can
be vitally important. So Location and Understanding of some sort is paramount. Especially a bad stretch of road... with potholes/congestion etc...

The population explosion on this island (DR), makes these roads all the more
challenging, especially with the lack of "public works" department and law enforcement that could alleviate some burden. Barely happening now.

Having been a taxi driver in a major US city, I feel more prepared here @DR
to confront obstacles or go with the flow. Timid, sight-seers should not drive
Here. Be prepared ahead of time AND avoid driving at night is my advice.

We are NOT as one corpuscle. We are Part of a large organism(s)...that is moving and changing in it's own flow, depending on the day/hour/minute,
and especially the moon, where ever you/they are.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We are NOT as one corpuscle. We are Part of a large organism(s)...that is moving and changing in it's own flow, depending on the day/hour/minute, and especially the moon, where ever you/they are.
We are corpuscles within the larger organism.

The traffic patterns here are highly evolved and different from the sanitary driving culture in NA or Europe. If (the generic) you insist on using the model where you came from to drive here you'll be forever afraid and frustrated.

If you accept the local driving culture and adapt to it you'll be fine. This includes staying off the roads as much as possible for the first couple hours after dark because that's when the drunks are out, headed home. Amateur hour.

Be aware, be aware, be aware. Put your scan on "mega" and keep it there.

It's not that bad here once you understand the unwritten rules of the road.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I travel the entire country often. In the last 3 years I have seen emormous improvements in infrastructure, especially roads. And the best news is engineers are actually doing something about roadside drainage to keep the roads in better condition.

However, this ain't Kansas. It's till many clicks below the First World.

The entire country... lol well let me know your experience when u drive the beautiful carretera turistica road from Santiago or many other roads on the north coast.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The traffic patterns here are highly evolved and different from the sanitary driving culture in NA or Europe. If (the generic) you insist on using the model where you came from to drive here you'll be forever afraid and frustrated.

If you accept the local driving culture and adapt to it you'll be fine. This includes staying off the roads as much as possible for the first couple hours after dark because that's when the drunks are out, headed home. Amateur hour.

Be aware, be aware, be aware. Put your scan on "mega" and keep it there.

It's not that bad here once you understand the unwritten rules of the road.

Although not quite as challenging as here, I would not consider driving in Italy all that sanitary. For some reason, everyone forgets that Italy is part of Europe. The rest of Europe is mundanely orderly.

Be aware is spot on advice.

And don't forget that sundown and right after dark is when there are always motorcycles with no lights, usually coming down the right side of the road in the direction opposite traffic.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. I've been working here in Nigua for the last 8 years.

Nigua is just west of Santo Domingo, right after Haina, just before San Cristobal.

A fair percentage of these truck drivers are uneducated and have a very "machista" attitude, and feel they have the right to drive on the road any way they want, and all of them have "I was here first" attitude when it comes to driving. Forget about rules of the road, driving in the correct lane, etc.

Any truck that breaks down, is repaired where it sits. If it causes a traffic jam, so be it. I've probably been in more multi hour traffic jams here than any two others on this board combined.

You would think that with a mixture like that, there would be tons of accidents, right?

There is. I've lost count of how many I've seen.

On Monday, I watched a kid on a motorcycle pull out in front of a truck, and hold up his hand signaling the truck to stop, fully expecting the truck to violate every law of physics known to man by stopping before it reached him.

The impact threw him and his motorcycle over 100 ft. He was dead before he hit the ground.

Of course, all of these accidents draw the hugh crowds that have a profound interest in viewing the macabre and gore, which of course, creates yet another traffic jam..

I have to drive that section of road to get to the capital, and I know exactly what you are talking about.

I saw the accident scene on Monday. The motorcycle flew farther than the kid did. And the number of people standing there watching was rather disturbing to me.

I believe the gasoline truck drivers are the absolute worst of all drivers.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. I've been working here in Nigua for the last 8 years.

Nigua is just west of Santo Domingo, right after Haina, just before San Cristobal.

The main road into Haina/Nigua is the Avenida Refineria, which is the access road for ALL fuel trucks transporting fuel to the country's gas stations.

Most of the Free Zone companies provide free transportation to their employees. Those buses use Ave. Refineria as well.

Most of the aggregates/sand used in construction on the south coast come from mines located in the area between Nigua and San Cristobal. Hundreds of 18 wheel tractor/trailers travel through Nigua on their way to, yup, you guessed it, Avenida Refineria, to deliver their cargo.

A fair percentage of these truck drivers are uneducated and have a very "machista" attitude, and feel they have the right to drive on the road any way they want, and all of them have "I was here first" attitude when it comes to driving. Forget about rules of the road, driving in the correct lane, etc.

Any truck that breaks down, is repaired where it sits. If it causes a traffic jam, so be it. I've probably been in more multi hour traffic jams here than any two others on this board combined.

You would think that with a mixture like that, there would be tons of accidents, right?

On Monday, I watched a kid on a motorcycle pull out in front of a truck, and hold up his hand signaling the truck to stop, fully expecting the truck to violate every law of physics known to man by stopping before it reached him.

The impact threw him and his motorcycle over 100 ft. He was dead before he hit the ground.

Of course, all of these accidents draw the hugh crowds that have a profound interest in viewing the macabre and gore, which of course, creates yet another traffic jam..

+1

I really have no clue why a problem cant be discussed. I guess if one sit on a pile of **** for a long time it does not smell that bad after awhile, and hey if very long one might even enjoy it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The entire country... lol well let me know your experience when u drive the beautiful carretera turistica road from Santiago or many other roads on the north coast.
I've driven them often. But why drive a road no longer maintained (by carretera turistica I assumeyoumean the old mountain road from Santiago to the intersection between the airport and Sosua)?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

The main road into Haina/Nigua is the Avenida Refineria, which is the access road for ALL fuel trucks transporting fuel to the country's gas stations.

Most of the Free Zone companies provide free transportation to their employees. Those buses use Ave. Refineria as well.

Most of the aggregates/sand used in construction on the south coast come from mines located in the area between Nigua and San Cristobal. Hundreds of 18 wheel tractor/trailers travel through Nigua on their way to, yup, you guessed it, Avenida Refineria, to deliver their cargo.

Thanks. There are areas that most folks should avoid if possible. That is one of them. I agree, the monster, poorly maintained 18-wheelers should be avoided where possible. We don't tour through Santo Domingo going to the SW for that reason. Much easier to take the El Baden bypass that goes by La Toma. There are some trucks that go toward San Cristobal from the calcium carbonate mines, but it's not a long stretch.

The improvements to autopista Nov. 6 from San Cristobal toward Bani have made that road much safer.

Bottom Line: Driving anywhere on the planet has risks. It all boils down to some basic elements:
  • Your personal driving/riding skilz, including awareness (we're all different, with differing skill sets)
  • Your personal risk acceptance
  • Your ability to adapt

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I've driven them often. But why drive a road no longer maintained (by carretera turistica I assumeyoumean the old mountain road from Santiago to the intersection between the airport and Sosua)?

Earlier u wrote " I travel all over the country. In the last 3 years I have seen enormous improvements in infrastructure, especially roads."

and now:

"Why use a road no longer maintained?". ...enormous improvements in infrastructure, especially roads...

Not sure I follow u but I will have a couple of beers later. Maybe that will help.

Btw Carretera turistica is not the only mountain road that is ****ed up. And u know what there are people that need those roads so its kind of rude to ask "Why use a road no longer maintained?"

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Earlier u wrote " I travel all over the country. In the last 3 years I have seen enormous improvements in infrastructure, especially roads."

and now:

"Why use a road no longer maintained?". ...enormous improvements in infrastructure, especially roads...

Not sure I follow u but I will have a couple of beers later. Maybe that will help.

Btw Carretera turistica is not the only mountain road that is ****ed up. And u know what there are people that need those roads so its kind of rude to ask "Why use a road no longer maintained?"
WTF are you arguing about, dude?

Driving is all about mitigating risks. Yes, I have driven cars and motorcycles all over, including that road and others that aren't great. Not every road is great and some should be avoided. So what?

That road isn't being maintained while #1 and the Jimao roads are. The road from Sanchez to LT isn't being maintained anymore, either. It's rough. Why take it when better alternatives exist? The Gaspar Hernandez-Salcedo road is bad, also, but other alternatives exist that are good, so why bother taking it.

And there are people all over that live in areas with poor road egress. So what? Bad roads exist in every counrty!

In general the roads have been MUCH improved in the 3 years I've lived here and operated motorcycle and van tours all over. Yes, two I know of are in worse shape, but that does NOT negate the basic fact that roads generally ARE improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.