Official holidays 2005 -
Official holidays 2006
- Saturday, 1 January: New Yearís Day.
- Friday, 21 January: Our Lady of Altagracia Day.
- Sunday, 27 February: Independence Day.
- Saturday, 24 September: Our Lady of Mercedes
- Sunday, 6 November: Constitution Day.
- Sunday, 25 December: Christmas Day.
The following holidays will be celebrated on the
closest Monday to the actual date:
- Thursday, 6 January: Epiphany Day. To be celebrated on Monday, 10 January.
- Wednesday, 26 January: Duarte Day. To be celebrated on Monday, 24 January.
- Sunday, 1 May: Labor Day. To be celebrated on Monday, 2 May.
- Tuesday, 16 August: Restoration Day. To be celebrated on Monday, 15 August.
Rotating days as per the Roman Catholic Church
- Friday, 25 March. Good Friday
- Thursday, 26 May. Corpus Christi Day
Not a holiday, but observed by many:
- Tuesday, 26 April. National Secretary Day.
- Wednesday afternoon and Thursday before Good Friday (23-26 March).
- Sunday, 29 May Motherís Day (last Sunday in the month).
- Sunday, 31 July. Fatherís Day (last Sunday in the month).
- Saturday, 24 December. Christmas Day (especially in the afternoon).
- Saturday, 31 December. New Yearís Eve (especially in the afternoon).
Note that December is for Dominicans, what August is
for Europeans. Do not expect to get anything major done in December. Too many
parties going on.
Domestic vacation peak times in 2005:
January will become quite an extension of December, this year. The Ministry of
Labor chose to push the 6 January Epiphany Day holiday to be celebrated on
Monday, 10 January. Thus most schools will restart on Tuesday, 11 January,
making for a very long Christmas break.
And things only get better in 2005, with Our Lady of
Altagracia Day, 21 January falling on a Friday, and blending into the Monday, 24
January off day for Duarte Day, for another four-day extended weekend.
This compensates for the four holidays of the year that
in 2005 fall on a Sunday: Independence Day, Constitution Day and Christmas Day,
New Yearís Day (2006).
Other long weekend holidays:
Easter Week. Usually Thursday through Sunday (22-26 March).
Labor Day. While it falls on a Sunday this year, t