Home Schooling and the DR.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The1996 and 1999 NHES asked parents their reasons for undertaking home schooling,with 16 possible responses. Several themes emerge from these responses."Religion was cited by 33 percent of parents and morality by 9 percent."

Ok, let's look at this 33% and see what we can extrapolate what this means. if one third of the parents are citing religion as a reason for home schooling their children, this signifies to me that 33% of these parents are somewhat to highly religious. what this can mean is that their children are learning rubbish like "Intelligent Design" insteadof Evolution. 33% of these parents could also be teaching their children that the earth is only 6000 years old, that dinosaur walked alongside modern Homo Sapiens--presumably on leashes it you are the ex-pastor that sitting at my bar right now. Would you approve of this kind of dumbing down of children?

For the record, I'm not against home schooling; i'm against home schooling in the disguise of religious indoctrination. i'm against home schooling in the guise of religious dogma, and promoting historical inaccuracies, especially where, children, are directed by uneducated, unqualified parents in the direction of a religious agenda that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a secular education, but instead, with the brainwashing of their children. and let's face it, if 33% of homeschooling parents (according to the study)have cited religious reasons as the primary motivation for homeschooling, then presumably, some of these parents are interpreting the bible literally, and hence, promoting Intelligent Design over Evolution. what would you call this?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For the record, I'm not against home schooling; i'm against home schooling in the disguise of religious indoctrination.
I'm against public edumacation in the disguise of social/political indoctrination.

It's the same thing...

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Has anyone seen the Khan Academy website?
Khan Academy
I mean the future has to be internet based learning ! Doesn't it ? It is Logic !

60 Minutes just did a show about this, as it's becoming somewhat of a world-wide sensation. Seems like it would definitely be a great resource and helpful as an educational tool for math.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
This is great, we are just in the throws of deciding about Home Education. I have a 4 year old.

You've really thought about it, so I'm sure you'll make a good decision for your family.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing decision that can't be reversed. My neighbor in the US began homeschooling because she felt her kids weren't being challenged enough. She soon realized how demanding it is to give those bright kids those learning opportunities she wanted. The next year, they were back in public school, and she could concentrate on the enrichment.

It's very challenging, to say the least, to understand curriculum in depth at a high school level. Not as challenging to understand the basics that the kids needs to know in kindergarten. So just as the child changes as he grows, the demands of homeschooling will change for you, at which time you could enroll them in school for a time.

The ability to homeschool for me, would be a luxury, and I applaud anyone who can commit to it, and do it well. Technology and the internet certainly brings in more resources to your fingertips.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
For the record, I'm not against home schooling; i'm against home schooling in the disguise of religious indoctrination. i'm against home schooling in the guise of religious dogma, and promoting historical inaccuracies, especially where, children, are directed by uneducated, unqualified parents in the direction of a religious agenda that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a secular education, but instead, with the brainwashing of their children. and let's face it, if 33% of homeschooling parents (according to the study)have cited religious reasons as the primary motivation for homeschooling, then presumably, some of these parents are interpreting the bible literally, and hence, promoting Intelligent Design over Evolution. what would you call this?

I'd call it religious freedom. And it seems that it's religion that you object to. Who's big brother gets to decide who is homeschooling for the right reason? Don't think you can be for homeschooling, then decide it's ok for some and not for others based on their religious beliefs.

I actually think the parents should have to have a certain amount of education to homeschool, because, let's face it, kids are now learning things as freshmen in high school that we may have learned in college.

What about the Amish, do they bother you?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Home Schooling and the DR

I live in Barahona and I homeschool my 3 girls. I don't do it for religious reasons. I did it because my oldest daughter was in Special Education when she was in 1st and 2nd grade.. We found out by the end of 2nd grade she just had ADD. Long story short she was able to pick up her grades and into a mainstream classroom. Within the first 2 weeks she was falling on her face because she didn't have the foundation the other kids had. I pulled her out and spent 4 hours a day 7 days a week working with her. I did it for 2 months, put her back in public school and she was caught up and now bored because she knew everything they were teaching. She was helping the other kids! I decided to pull her back out and homeschool exclusive and realized that she went from HATING schoolwork to LOVING it. We lengthened our days. Then I moved to the Dominican Republic, and decided that homeschooling was the best option for me and the girls. I love it.. but do find it at times more challenging to do than in the states. Certain things I want to do with the kids I don't have the supplies readily available, and sometimes can't find them. But.. overall, I wouldn't have it any other way.

We live in the Campo.. My kids play as soon as school is over. They play in huge groups of kids playing manhunt, hide and go seek, double dutch, hopscotch and other made up games that they would not be playing if they were growing up in New York (where we are from) so we are very happy with their education and their childhood.

Homeschooling isn't for everyone as it takes a lot of time and dedication. Many people like kids to go to school it's like free-time for parents.. but my kids have learned more being home with me then they would from going to school.. They learn a lot more domestic skills but also life skills they are out in "life" everyday. If I have to go and do something, I have to take them with me. I have no school time in which I could do my errands. There are times I wish I could send them to school for the day, but that is very rarely.. lol.. I also have found ways to teach them to get along better, and I think if they were in school all day they wouldn't have to learn how to get along as sisters as much because I would just "deal" with the fighting. Now they KNOW I will not accept it.. I could go on and on with things that I have found from homeschooling my kids on how different they are. I do have a 17 year old boy who is graduating this year from the states. I didn't take him out of school because he had a year left to graduate. We are not permanently here, and I will probably put all three back into public schools when we go back to the states. My job in this time is to give them the BEST education I can so that when they DO go back they are right on track with their school and teach them the studying skills they need to EXCEL.

No religious teaching in this homeschool.. sorry!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'd call it religious freedom. And it seems that it's religion that you object to. Who's big brother gets to decide who is homeschooling for the right reason? Don't think you can be for homeschooling, then decide it's ok for some and not for others based on their religious beliefs.

I actually think the parents should have to have a certain amount of education to homeschool, because, let's face it, kids are now learning things as freshmen in high school that we may have learned in college.

What about the Amish, do they bother you?

La Rubia,

I'm all for religious freedom, right up to the point where it wants your tax money to fund their church and agenda. i'm all for religious freedom up until the moment where it insists on invading your classroom.

Do the Amish bother me? Well, only in so far when they shun their own: A good start in understanding the Amish would be by reading this book: Crossing Over: "One Woman's Escape from Amish Life, by Ruth Irene Garrett and Rick Farrant.

Ruth fell in love and ran off with her love of her life, Ottie Garrett. For the Amish community, it was unforgivable. it meant that she was going to hell.

It should also serve as a cautionary tale for Christians because the Amish are undeniably a part of the Christian tradition, but they have also managed to twist basic aspects of Christianity far more than other conservative denominations or sects have. They're a cult..albeit an accepted one. As Garrett tells it, there is a great deal of fear and intimidation among the Amish. This is true in any small, tightly-knit community, but it?s exacerbated by the religious dimensions of the group because the Amish don?t believe that anyone outside their sect will go to heaven.

?[W]e were taught that we were the privileged ones, chosen by God to do his work and the only ones who stood a chance of being saved. We therefore were forbidden from doing missionary work outside the community.?

What do i feel about the Amish? I feel if that's the life you choose as an ""adult" to live, good for you. however, what does it say about a religious sect when, as a child, you're raised in a sect to believe that you won't get into heaven if you leave the sect for any reason? Isn't that a form of child abuse?

Furthermore, what do you have to say if the parent, who chooses to home school is unqualified to teach children? And how does one teach math, history, and science, if their approaching it from a "Literal interpretation of the Bible" standpoint.

let's face it, a significant amount of people today are functionally illiterate. my parents were functionally illiterate. Do i think they should have taken me out of school and taught me? hell no. Do i think the OP is qualified to teach her children? She certainly seem more qualified than most people. But how about the people who are not? Or how about if she was teaching, as the Amish do, that you are not going to go to heaven if you leave the sect? Is this acceptable?

At what point do you say, for everyone who wants to home school their children...by all means go for it...you have the state's blessing. And how about if you are divorced and the mother wants to home school the children but the father, knowing that the mother is unqualified, objects to it. is it acceptable that the mother home schools the children?

I could go on but, you get the point.

Frank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
La Rubia,

I'm all for religious freedom, right up to the point where it wants your tax money to fund their church and agenda. i'm all for religious freedom up until the moment where it insists on invading your classroom.

Frank
I think the same for the secular agendas...

What ever happened to reading, writing and 'rithmetic being the primary focus in school? I remember when social studies was like a free period in grammar school compared to the academic subjects...

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
La Rubia,
Do the Amish bother me? Well, only in so far when they shun their own:
Frank

Ok, so I should have been more specific. I was specifically referring to the 1972 US Supreme Court Case (ok I had to look up the year) that established the right to not be forced into compulsory education beyond 8th grade. While the 8th grade standard comes from beliefs formed by their religion, the suit was not so that they could teach religion.

(I wasn't asking for an opinion on their beliefs, because that would unleash pi2 on the virtues of using buggies and no electricity, then we get into gender roles and we are discussing homeschooling, not religion.)

My point in reference to the discussion on homeschooling is this: if the Amish have the constitutional right to form their own school system based on their beliefs and not attend a state supported public school, it would follow that homeschoolers would be afforded that same right. So if the homeschooling family follows the state guidelines (and they vary incredibly by state) they can teach however they want.

I still believe that a country that affords it's citizens freedom of religion must also extend the right to teach that religion. I get that you consider it "indoctrination", it's the reason your child doesn't have to have religion crammed down his/her throat in public school.

Do I think uneducated people should teach their own children? Of course not, but stupidity is not against the law, and is often constitutionally protected. There are many unqualified home-schoolers out there that are not religious, but you seem to really lash out at the "religious ones".

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
La Rubia,
Frank

Homeschoolers don't use taxpayer's money, and they don't reach into public school classrooms.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, so I should have been more specific. I was specifically referring to the 1972 US Supreme Court Case (ok I had to look up the year) that established the right to not be forced into compulsory education beyond 8th grade. While the 8th grade standard comes from beliefs formed by their religion, the suit was not so that they could teach religion.

(I wasn't asking for an opinion on their beliefs, because that would unleash pi2 on the virtues of using buggies and no electricity, then we get into gender roles and we are discussing homeschooling, not religion.)

My point in reference to the discussion on homeschooling is this: if the Amish have the constitutional right to form their own school system based on their beliefs and not attend a state supported public school, it would follow that homeschoolers would be afforded that same right. So if the homeschooling family follows the state guidelines (and they vary incredibly by state) they can teach however they want.

I still believe that a country that affords it's citizens freedom of religion must also extend the right to teach that religion. I get that you consider it "indoctrination", it's the reason your child doesn't have to have religion crammed down his/her throat in public school.

Do I think uneducated people should teach their own children? Of course not, but stupidity is not against the law, and is often constitutionally protected. There are many unqualified home-schoolers out there that are not religious, but you seem to really lash out at the "religious ones".

La Rubia,

OK, i'm home from work now.

You make excellent points, and i agree with every one you've made so far.

However, in response to why i lash out at the "Religious ones?" I can answer that quite easily. The study that was cited earlier as to the reasons why some people choose home schooling indicated that 33% of parents whom choose home schooling over a secular education did so becuase of "Religious reasons."

Again, i don't want to keep reiterating this point but, if this is the primary motivation for home schooling your child? Maybe something is wrong with you and not the school system. A secular education system worked fine for you and me, and 99% of the other people on this forum--including underachievers like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and tens of thousands of doctors and engineers and other equally successful people in this world. I don't see the need to yank a child out of school (unless of extraordinary circumstances) and start educating them at home. Should you have the right to yank your kid out of school? I don't know...that depends on whether or not you are qualified to provide a proper, well rounded, full education? Why not enhance your child's education when he or she gets home from school? A child's education does not stop once the school bell rings. I think we've covered that already.

If 33% of the parents are teaching "Intelligent Design" over Evolution then, i'm sorry, that is simply dumbing down your child. Period. If i had a dollar for everytime one of these religiously inclined parents told me that "Evolution is a lie"--part of some greater "Liberal Conspiracy" to secularize your child and make him or her reject his or her "Christian values," then we would not be having this conversation right now because i would be sitting on the beach in a lime green lounge chair drinking pina colodas out of coconuts.

Unfortunately, for a lot of religious home schoolers, the freeedom to teach their child Intelligent Design over Evolution is the exactly the reason why they've chosen the route of Home Schooling. just look at the 33% in the study who chose to be honest about it and point out that it was for "Religious" reasons. I find this disturbing. It's not enough that i have to listen to a pastor talk about how Evolution is a Liberal Conspiracy, now i have to listen to FourSquare members, Jehovah Witnesses (a swedish girl that i want to get into her pants), Evangelists (a couple of hot girls i want to get into their pants as well), Mormons, Baptists, and a myriad of other religiously inclined people who gravitate down to this island to escape "Secularism."

I'm sorry, i digress. The OP and Jenny do not fit into this category. Jenny and the OP are obviously educated people whom were not, and are not, motivated by religion to yank their kids out of the classroom, and so, more power to them.

LOve Frank

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I will be honest. I am quite thorn 2 ways about this home-schooling.

I perfectly understand the need for it in the outback of Australia. Let's be honest, there is no option. Driving your kids 8 hours to school, 8 hours back, and 8 hours in school... well, you see the picture. Then again, it is highly organized there.... kids go to school there, following courses over the computer.

I am not against home-schooling, but please allow me to post some thoughts about it...

I went to primary school, and afterwards I went to a highly demanding Jesuit High School. You had to take a test to get in, and the parents had to make a commitment to help in the education. Both my parents have university educations, and are highly intelligent.

I love them both, at 80 and 86 years of age, and we video-talk over skype, exchanging opinions about the newest computer developments, etc...

Having said that... they were the worst teachers I ever had... lol

Oh, they would try to help me, and they knew the solution, but they just could not explain it... The help they gave me through high school actually was the reason to a lot of frustration between me and my father. Luckily enough, the Jesuit High School explained my particular talents to my parents and we found each other again, after formal education was finished.

The point I am trying to make is that, in my opinion, few parents are able to educate their children on their own. Not due to lack of love or dedication, but teaching is a gift.

I can honestly admit some teachers flunked me, explained me why, believed in me, and I am still in contact with them. They are friends, and they say I have done them proud. I can only say I am where I am today because of those gifted teachers.

I am not against home-schooling, but it is for the select few. Unless there is a fantastic back-up system in place, with gifted teachers. And yes, if that back-up would be in the DR, it could be an enormous step forward for thousands of children on this island.

We can only hope

BelgianK

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Actually no one knows how the universe was originated.
Or exactly how total evolution took place - only limited examples have been observed.
A broad education in my opinion should examine all points of view : many state schools fail in this.
What is Creationism?
I am of course a Raelian!

pi2

La Rubia,

OK, i'm home from work now.

You make excellent points, and i agree with every one you've made so far.

However, in response to why i lash out at the "Religious ones?" I can answer that quite easily. The study that was cited earlier as to the reasons why some people choose home schooling indicated that 33% of parents whom choose home schooling over a secular education did so becuase of "Religious reasons."

Again, i don't want to keep reiterating this point but, if this is the primary motivation for home schooling your child? Maybe something is wrong with you and not the school system. A secular education system worked fine for you and me, and 99% of the other people on this forum--including underachievers like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and tens of thousands of doctors and engineers and other equally successful people in this world. I don't see the need to yank a child out of school (unless of extraordinary circumstances) and start educating them at home. Should you have the right to yank your kid out of school? I don't know...that depends on whether or not you are qualified to provide a proper, well rounded, full education? Why not enhance your child's education when he or she gets home from school? A child's education does not stop once the school bell rings. I think we've covered that already.

If 33% of the parents are teaching "Intelligent Design" over Evolution then, i'm sorry, that is simply dumbing down your child. Period. If i had a dollar for everytime one of these religiously inclined parents told me that "Evolution is a lie"--part of some greater "Liberal Conspiracy" to secularize your child and make him or her reject his or her "Christian values," then we would not be having this conversation right now because i would be sitting on the beach in a lime green lounge chair drinking pina colodas out of coconuts.

Unfortunately, for a lot of religious home schoolers, the freeedom to teach their child Intelligent Design over Evolution is the exactly the reason why they've chosen the route of Home Schooling. just look at the 33% in the study who chose to be honest about it and point out that it was for "Religious" reasons. I find this disturbing. It's not enough that i have to listen to a pastor talk about how Evolution is a Liberal Conspiracy, now i have to listen to FourSquare members, Jehovah Witnesses (a swedish girl that i want to get into her pants), Evangelists (a couple of hot girls i want to get into their pants as well), Mormons, Baptists, and a myriad of other religiously inclined people who gravitate down to this island to escape "Secularism."

I'm sorry, i digress. The OP and Jenny do not fit into this category. Jenny and the OP are obviously educated people whom were not, and are not, motivated by religion to yank their kids out of the classroom, and so, more power to them.

LOve Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Actually no one knows how the universe was originated.
Or exactly how total evolution took place - only limited examples have been observed.
A broad education in my opinion should examine all points of view : many state schools fail in this.
What is Creationism?
I am of course a Raelian!

pi2

Jeez...Just when i think i've heard it all...here comes another fascinating, bizarre, absurd, frightening, interesting person out of the woodwork. Well, you got to love this place for its ability to surprise you: So, Pi2...does this describe your Realian beliefs?

A Ra?lian is a follower of a Frenchman and former motor sport journalist and race-car driver whose parents, the Vorilhons, called him Claude when he was born in 1946. He claims that on December 13, 1973, he was in a volcano near Clermont-Ferrand, France, when he saw a "7 meters in diameter made of a very shiny silver metal and moving in a total silence." He says a radiant being emerged and entrusted him with a message revealing the true origin of mankind. They told him that henceforth he would be known as , which means "messenger."
His followers consider him to be "the prophet of the third millennium." Like all good religious leaders, Ra?l expects his followers to support him. A 10% tithe is the norm. He explains his mission in his book, The True Face of God [sic]. According to Taras Grescoe of Salon.com, Vorilhon claims that
he was taken to the planet of the Elohim in a flying saucer in 1975, where he was introduced to noted earthlings such as Jesus, Buddha, Joseph Smith and Confucius. The Elohim, small human-shaped beings with pale green skin and almond eyes, were apparently the original inspiration for the Judeo-Christian god. They informed Vorilhon that he was the final prophet -- sent to relay a message of peace and sensual meditation to humankind under his new name of Ra?l -- before the Elohim would return to Jerusalem in 2025.
Ra?l claims that the Elohim have taught him that the human race was created from the DNA of aliens some 25,000 years ago. (In fact, all life on earth was created in alien laboratories.) Among other things, Ra?l has also learned that cloning is the way to immortality and there is no god or soul. According to Ra?l, our alien creators want us to be beautiful and sexy and enjoy a sensuous life, free from the restrictions of traditional Judeo-Christian morality.

I love the part about Rael expects you to support him... a 10% tithe is expected!!

Beautiful!

PS. Pi2..i suspect that you were just kidding, right?

Frank

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Home schooling in Germany:

The German authorities usually justify their tough stance by referring to the social aspect of school education.
<!-- S IBOX -->

<tbody>
</tbody>
<!-- E IBOX -->"In our increasingly multicultural society school is the place for a peaceful dialogue between different opinions, values, religions and ideologies," said Berlin's education minister, Juergen Zoellner.
"It is a training ground for social tolerance. Therefore home-schooling is not an option for Germany."
Germany is not entirely alone in its refusal.
The Swedish parliament is just in the process of tightening the laws on home-schooling, effectively banning it.
Bertil ?stberg, State Secretary for Education, told the BBC's Europe Today programme, that "children have the right to be taught by professional teachers, and the teaching should be objective and based on science".
Echoing German concerns Mr ?stberg added that "schools should be a meeting place where tolerance and social values are communicated".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8576769.stm

"In Germany, it is illegal to homeschool children between the ages of six to 18 as school attendance is mandatory for those in that age group. Despite this, there are reportedly about 400 homeschool families in Germany - almost all operating underground or are in court for the right to control the education of their children on religious grounds.

Upon hearing the decision, the Romeikes expressed relief and gratitude to the judge and to those who have been praying for them – especially other German homeschoolers who, like many conservative parents in the United States, want to teach their own children because their country's school textbooks contain language and ideas that conflict with their moral and/or religious values."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/g...eschoolers-granted-asylum-in-tennessee-43515/

Here's the New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/us/01homeschool.html

Last edited:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
According to Ra?l, our alien creators want us to be beautiful and sexy and enjoy a sensuous life, free from the restrictions of traditional Judeo-Christian morality.

Plus I may get a clone

This is the part I like?
pi2

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Fact is, Many of the courses, materials and "packages" available do have the religious aspects included. But it is also possible to opt out. I would GUESS that 755 of the websites I have visited to purchase curriculum or materials have either a clearly religious theme or some religious undertones.
But most seem to want the business as well and you can purchase packages with or without the religious material. I Even saw one kindergarten book where I stood for INDIAN ! And a picture of a native american ! A little out-dated !

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The German authorities usually justify their tough stance by referring to the social aspect of school education.
<!-- S IBOX -->

<tbody>
</tbody>
<!-- E IBOX -->"In our increasingly multicultural society school is the place for a peaceful dialogue between different opinions, values, religions and ideologies," said Berlin's education minister, Juergen Zoellner.
"It is a training ground for social tolerance. Therefore home-schooling is not an option for Germany."
That is one scary quote. It's gubmints responsibility to "train" on social tolerance? Didn't the German gubmint go through that once before this century?

Cripes...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Good find Bob. Interesting article. i liked it. i also agree with many points, in particular #9 thru #13 are excellent points. However, i also disagree on several other points, in particular, the ones not brought up, like...

1.) How about if your parents are Raelins and want to raise you to worship UFO's and send 10% of their Lemonade/Kool-aid money to Mr.Raelin.
2.) How about if you parents are Creationist, and want to raise you to reject modern science and embrace dinosours walking on leashes with modern Homo Sapiens 6000 years ago.
3.) How about if your parents are dropouts, crack-heads, metaphetamine users who want to sit around the house all day getting high, wating for their welfare check to arrive while the kids sit in front of the cartoon channel for 24 hours a day in dirty diapers.
4.) How about of your parents are scientologists, and want you to go chasing after unexploded bombs that the aliens left behind for L. Ron Hubbard to find.
5.) How about if your parents belong to FourSquare and want their children to praise Aimee Semple McPherson and some of her crackpot beliefs.
6.) What if your parents were Jim Jones followers, and they pulled you and "302" other children out of school to better educate you down in French Guyana. What if you were one of 303 children who drank a delicious cyanide laced Kool-aid drink (Made by educated, qualified nurses who also were Jim Jones followers) that killed all 900 people.
7.) What if your parents were one of the religious cult members...fill in the blank here:___________, and they indoctrinated you with a beautiful set of unfounded religious beliefs that made you believe in unrealistic ideas, unfounded beliefs, and fascinating historical fairy tales.

Love Frank

Last edited: