Jan 16, 2009
Read Cameron , read...

Future tense of the verb 'to devote'.... "WILL DEVOTE"

But you could start writing now if you like:cross-eye

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
GOod afternoon everyone!

Can one of you experts tell me what to do with my money? lol
I was trying to look for a house to buy in SD, would your advice be to 'wait'? or buy now before the election?

I'm all ears! :)

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Barnabe
I said 'collapse' in context.

The Euro has fallen from what? $1.60 to $1.30 ( yes, I do it upside down)

Thats 20%.... not a total collapse, but a strong weakness.
Yes, it is a strong weakness, but the bias is that you take as a reference an "unreal" peak rate of exchange. If you take a 10 year chart, the perspective is quite different.
http://http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=USD&view=10Y
As of the Euro vs rd$, it was at 44 two years ago.
http://http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=DOP&view=10Y

The Euro is weaker, but the USD has no strength. Winners are the yen, the swiss, the cad and the aussie.
We Cdn's know about dollar fluctuations vs the US $.
Yes indeed, Canadian traders need some guts![/QUOTE]

Barnab?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Uh-Oh..... expert on board.

Batten down !!

My Euro experience is just the past 5 yrs or so and i was spoiled by the success.

We'll follow your lead,Mr B

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just that in 20 years a a currency dealer, I've seen some ups and downs

You know, I was spoiled myself when I purchased some USD to build in DR in 2002 I think, when the Euro/USD was below 0.90.. It hurts!!:classic:
Barnab?

My family bought property in FLA in 1979 or so.
My father balked b/c the Cdn$ was just below the US$ at the time... say 98 cents or so., for the first time ina LONG time.

He went ahead anyway.

We sold 2 years later......... property was OK but the CDN $ was below 90 cents.

We KILLED it on the currency and did sort of OK on the land.

Around 1980, if I recall was the start of the demise of the CDN $.............. just now as recovered

I think I'm right on that but , at my age, I have a very favorable memory....

Feel free to correct me.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
My family bought property in FLA in 1979 or so.
My father balked b/c the Cdn$ was just below the US$ at the time... say 98 cents or so., for the first time ina LONG time.

He went ahead anyway.

We sold 2 years later......... property was OK but the CDN $ was below 90 cents.

We KILLED it on the currency and did sort of OK on the land.

Some Brits have done the same in France when the pound went close to the euro, down from almost 1.50, they sold their properties and made a nice profit.
Around 1980, if I recall was the start of the demise of the CDN $.............. just now as recovered

I think I'm right on that but , at my age, I have a very favorable memory....

Feel free to correct me.

I was a naive young student at that time (I am still naive, unfortunately). But I found this:

Gold Global Perspective: Long term currencies charts
with a chart for usd/cad over 38 years. Buckle up... Your memory still good, the 80's were tough, and the 90's..

Barnab?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Some Brits have done the same in France when the pound went close to the euro, down from almost 1.50, they sold their properties and made a nice profit.

I was a naive young student at that time (I am still naive, unfortunately). But I found this:

Gold Global Perspective: Long term currencies charts
with a chart for usd/cad over 38 years. Buckle up... Your memory still good, the 80's were tough, and the 90's..

Barnab?

Thanks......... I'm not senile.

By 2000 , I had moved to the US.... when my friends came to visit , they were paying 1.5 on the dollar.

Grenn fees, caddies, all X 1.5................. $200 was $300 to them............ PAINFUL!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
True, WW said "collapsed", you said you doubt the euro would ever recover...

Maybe because you're not European.

I am not sure things are that simple.

The situation is really bad, we all know that. I don't know who is whistling, nor where the graveyard is.

Barnab?
Maybe you're right, we're just offering musings.

I stated when the EU was formed during the height of "good times" it wouldn't last in bad times.

Some countries opted out of the common currency. Others opted out of other provisions. I'd say right now those who opted out of any provision are happy they did. And maybe wished they had opted out of more.

Europe is a continent. It has been in constant upheaval forever, war after war, bitterness and suspicion; it's peace and cooperation that are the anomalies. There is no common culture in Europe that ties countries together. Even within some countries there isn't a binding culture.

It was a marriage of convenience, not from love. And they may very well go the way of virtually every marriage of convenience: a (usually) ugly divorce followed by dividing assets. No, divorce and dividing assets is never "that" easy.

While America is also reeling, it's a country and not a continent. It was born from a common culture and has survived for 236 years. IMO, the reason current politics and economics hasn't broken America is BECAUSE of the common culture...although there are those whose intent is fracturing that culture beyond repair...and very may will. How many inter-European wars have been fought in the last 236 years?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

I stated when the EU was formed during the height of "good times" it wouldn't last in bad times.

Some countries opted out of the common currency. Others opted out of other provisions. I'd say right now those who opted out of any provision are happy they did. And maybe wished they had opted out of more.

Europe is a continent. It has been in constant upheaval forever, war after war, bitterness and suspicion; it's peace and cooperation that are the anomalies. There is no common culture in Europe that ties countries together. Even within some countries there isn't a binding culture.

It was a marriage of convenience, not from love. And they may very well go the way of virtually every marriage of convenience: a (usually) ugly divorce followed by dividing assets. No, divorce and dividing assets is never "that" easy.

While America is also reeling, it's a country and not a continent. It was born from a common culture and has survived for 236 years. IMO, the reason current politics and economics hasn't broken America is BECAUSE of the common culture...although there are those whose intent is fracturing that culture beyond repair...and very may will. How many inter-European wars have been fought in the last 236 years?

Most EU nations were linked as many a times their own heads of state and powerful families intermarried to gain support from one side to the other. There are stronger and more common culture links in EU nations than there's in America (US) as a whole.

The Euro will survive the problems, the countries behind it will pay the consequences for ignoring the elements that brought them there.

The American culture is a two pronged one. One for the whites and one for the blacks. None of the two until today has been able to breach the gap between the two.

There are more chances of a US break up between the States than a breakup of the EU from the economic/social perspective under the worst of conditions.

The problem facing the EU is the underlying corruption from centuries and well hidden way Laws are enforced.

Much like the DR is today, corruption will always play an important part of how and where we go in developing as an economy well into the next 50 decades or so.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Link: As elections push fizzles, sales of construction materials plummet 50%

Imagine how bad it would be if it weren't for money laundering.

Anyone in touch with the economy knows there is a LOT less $$$ on the streets than in recent memory, maybe since the post Banniter near-meltdown.

Just as an anecdote, I used to dread going to Ochoa on a Saturday because the place was a madhouse. No more. I see literally half the people, and half the check-out aisles are open. Same with the local ferreteria's. I also have workers stopping by the gate often looking for work.

Not signs of health, much less growth.

But that said, the gubmint has done a fine job of road construction and renovation in the last 3 years.

This is a normal cycle in every election year Robert.

Investors are weary of who's going to be the next administrator and their policies (just take a look at Hippo's words of lately on his).

The USD gains value and depending on who wins will either drop (PLD) or reach for the skies (PRD).

It's a sad face of politics in the DR! There's no continuity of the state but a patch up work of each other party's policies to boot.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Most EU nations were linked as many a times their own heads of state and powerful families intermarried to gain support from one side to the other. There are stronger and more common culture links in EU nations than there's in America (US) as a whole.

The Euro will survive the problems, the countries behind it will pay the consequences for ignoring the elements that brought them there.

The American culture is a two pronged one. One for the whites and one for the blacks. None of the two until today has been able to breach the gap between the two.

There are more chances of a US break up between the States than a breakup of the EU from the economic/social perspective under the worst of conditions.

The problem facing the EU is the underlying corruption from centuries and well hidden way Laws are enforced.

Much like the DR is today, corruption will always play an important part of how and where we go in developing as an economy well into the next 50 decades or so.
What a great big steaming pile of crap!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Sorry PICHARDO, but that is pure baloney.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Well Sarkozy married a model/singer who some call a whore.
Berlusconi married the whole brothel!

So I guess there's a 'connection' but it's tenuous ;)

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002

I'm with you on this one, but with nuances.

The roots of the EU were in 1950-1952, with Schuman's speech and the ECSC creation. The main purpose, right from the origin, was the 'Never that again' motto (and it still is, for the reasons you pointed out). It was not really the good times then, not yet.

As you say, Europe is a continent, not a country. But we have a common history, and possibly a common destiny. Saying that we have no common culture is a bit overstated. Our differences show better than what we have in common, but, at least in Western Europe, I think we have quite a bit.

The mistake was to try and marry so many people in such a short timeframe. Instead of making Europe stronger, our politicians made it larger, and obviously weaker. And when Europeans disagreed (referendum in France and Ireland), they just washed their hands. F**k the vox populi..

This is a marriage of convenience, very true, but sometimes convenience last more than love.

Hopefully it does,

Barnab?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm with you on this one, but with nuances.

The roots of the EU were in 1950-1952, with Schuman's speech and the ECSC creation. The main purpose, right from the origin, was the 'Never that again' motto (and it still is, for the reasons you pointed out). It was not really the good times then, not yet.

As you say, Europe is a continent, not a country. But we have a common history, and possibly a common destiny. Saying that we have no common culture is a bit overstated. Our differences show better than what we have in common, but, at least in Western Europe, I think we have quite a bit.

The mistake was to try and marry so many people in such a short timeframe. Instead of making Europe stronger, our politicians made it larger, and obviously weaker. And when Europeans disagreed (referendum in France and Ireland), they just washed their hands. F**k the vox populi..

This is a marriage of convenience, very true, but sometimes convenience last more than love.

Hopefully it does,

Barnab?
The Euros should have applied Hillbilly's Rules to their relationship.

The fundamental flaw to the EU is few brought equal resources to the table and much of those resources support the weak sisters.

I don't see the cultural bond that Portugal has with Greece, or Ireland has with Bulgaria. And many certainly didn't bring a German-sized dowery to the marriage...

It was il-conceived and poorly executed, a massive sausage with thin casing from a bureaucratic factory.

At some point the "haves" will tire of their national treasure supporting the "have not's" with nothing in exchange.

The same could happen to the US, but would be harder to break up because there is no alternative gubmint, since the Fed held them together. In the case of the EU, each country had been nationally sovereign and still retain many of the former structures. They are better prepared for divorce.

But, as usual, opinions vary...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

It's funny how every time Europeans get to killing one another "White America" and "Black America" get together and go over there to put out the fires. You see, it's how you act in the WORST of times that defines you and the American family of Men and Women of all persuasions is like any real family with bickering and jealousy and contention....right up until someone from outside the family decides to mess with someone inside the family and then the unity takes over.

You will find that the contributions that built and maintain the USA came from every region, every race, every religion and every economic level. We're just going through a little middle management leadership crisis right now but there's a new generation of leaders learning from the mistakes of the ones we currently have. They'll be along shortly.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
The Euros should have applied Hillbilly's Rules to their relationship.

The fundamental flaw to the EU is few brought equal resources to the table and much of those resources support the weak sisters.

I don't see the cultural bond that Portugal has with Greece, or Ireland has with Bulgaria. And many certainly didn't bring a German-sized dowery to the marriage...

It was il-conceived and poorly executed, a massive sausage with thin casing from a bureaucratic factory.

At some point the "haves" will tire of their national treasure supporting the "have not's" with nothing in exchange.

The same could happen to the US, but would be harder to break up because there is no alternative gubmint, since the Fed held them together. In the case of the EU, each country had been nationally sovereign and still retain many of the former structures. They are better prepared for divorce.

But, as usual, opinions vary...

I am not an economist, I look at the figures, I see:
European budget contributions:
Germany 21 billions
France 19 billions
Italy 14 billions
UK 13 billions
Spain 9 billions
out of a 108 billion global budget.

These are the contributions. If you look at the net contribution, Germany figure is below 10 billions ? (Germany GDP is about 3.400 billions ?, the net contribution is about 0.3% of their gdp..)

Would you say with these figures that Germany pay for everybody? I wouldn't, but as you say, opinions vary.

Then, if you look at the trade balance (2011 figures):
German Export to the EU: 627 billion ?
Imports from the EU: 572 billion ?

Trade surplus with the EU: 55 billions ?...

Of course, this trade surplus was not given, it was earned. But as a result, this is a wealth transfer from the EU to Germany.

As a result, Germany is "supporting" the Euro because they know what they have to lose.

Barnab?

PS: don't get me wrong, I love the Germans

Status
Not open for further replies.