DR developing country or still 3rd world?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
No police has ever demanded money from me, ever. Not only that they are always respectful and I have refused to give tips if I had no small change. I generally thank them for their work and then send me on my way with a salute most times.

Some of you guys could learn a little about the culture here and how far showing a little respect and couth can take you.

hmmm.... I kinda' prefer it when the police can not stop or detain you without due cause -- real and legal due cause, not some made up crap for the shake down, (and they better be able to substantiate that cause in court). Why should a police officer stop you at all??? And I'm SO glad to hear that they treat you with respect even if you don't have small change for their SHAKE DOWN. That's really effing polite and respectful of them!!! AND WITH A SALUTE TOO -- that's really pretty damn polite of them!!! Actually, the RESPECT would be if they kept their effing "SALUTE" to themselves, and left you the eff alone unless you were breaking the law!!!!

If put in the position would I pay up??? Probably yes, but I would NEVER condone their behavior, let alone TRY AND DEFEND IT!!!! I'm practical, and a small amount of money is worth less to me than my time for one, and even more so than my peace of mind that I won't be hauled off to some jail or worse.

BTW... I treat everyone with respect until they prove to me they don't deserve it.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
You have just proved my point...Start with what is untrue, then move slowly to reveal as much truth as necessary to make a transaction work in your favor.

Tips, propinas, bribes, call them what you want. I call it part of a third world, corrupt system, and a normal occurance in Dominican Republic.

You just made his case,

What about police brutality, riots, racial profiling, and getting away with just a pat on the butt when someone with money commits murder? According to you that is what would classify a country as third world, right?

Well, if that's the case, the US is far below 3rd world if we go according to your analogy.

But I guess you will come back and say this does not happens in the US.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Santo Domingo - Developing Country
Inside Malls - First World
The rest of the DR - Third World

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Please dont say its because they make $150/mth as I agree thats nuts and also part of the problem. Their lack of pay isnt our fault, just another example of warped priorities in the DR. Police and teachers are underpaid which only shows the lack of importance in the overall scheme.

I don't know where you get your source from but 150.00/m is not even the minimum wage. A watchman makes $214.00

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
You just made his case,

What about police brutality, riots, racial profiling, and getting away with just a pat on the butt when someone with money commits murder? According to you that is what would classify a country as third world, right?

Well, if that's the case, the US is far below 3rd world if we go according to your analogy.

But I guess you will come back and say this does not happens in the US.

Oh yes, there are those. I watched a guy get shot after a car chase in Miami on TV yesterday...live. Too bad for the driver, eh? Since we are throwing things to the wall to see what sticks instead of using logic to know what sticks before we throw them, let's try some of these.

Amid all the police brutality, racial profiling, and getting away with murder I can walk to my beach without someone asking me for 100 pesos. I sometimes don't see anyone on the beach, but when I do they keep a respectable distance and don't try to sell me anything. I can park my car on the beach too, if I want.

And, if I want a nice strawberry milk shake at 3 in the morning I can jump in my car and drive to McDonald's, where they'll hand me a large one through a drive through window for three dollars. If I add another buck I can have fries or a burger with that. And believe it or not, no one is hanging around the parking lot, and there's no AMET guy to tell me I stopped with my tires on the white line during the drive home, and there aren't 4 people who don't understand the meaning of death, riding on a concho with no lights waiting for a drunk driver to wipe them out because the police and bartenders put drunk drivers in jail around here, as well as people who ride anything with two wheels without lights at night.

I can take money from an ATM at any hour of the day or night and there isn't a watchy man with a shotgun anywhere in sight.

I can check into virtually any hotel without worry that an entire Dominican family booked their trip to Nueva York on my Visa card.

I haven't lost power a single time since I left the DR a year ago.

But I do love the DR and may live there again some day.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I'll add a few more that all that police brutality and racial profiling does for me....

I can go to an air conditioned library and know with certainty that I won't be interrupted when I pick up a magazine to read. I can even check out books and the librarians won't accuse me of being a thief before I leave the building.

If I drop something at a grocery store I don't have to pay for it because it was an accident. Actually, I just returned $1000 worth of a $3000 order of furniture because it wouldn't "make the turn" into the room the furniture was designated for. They put the furniture back on the truck and I received my refund on my credit card two days later. I can return anything, for any reason, with or without a receipt for a refund or an exchange.

Now, you explain what moves the DR into any of that first world realm I just explained. You can leave out the part where the police rob places like the Monkey Jungle, or the part where when your stolen goods are recovered you can buy them back from the police, or the part where Politur checks your woman's ID simply because she is breathing. I'll give you a pass on that kind of stuff.

By the way...how many murders in Sosua have been solved with the murderer convicted and in prison in the last five years? I already know about the Swedish woman's killer..who has yet to be convicted, so try another example.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I can walk to my beach without someone asking me for 100 pesos.

You are right, they ask you for dollars or spare change, or will be at a stop displaying a "need money for food" sign.

I can park my car on the beach too, if I want.
Last time I checked there are beaches in DR where you can park too.

And, if I want a nice strawberry milk shake at 3 in the morning I can jump in my car and drive to McDonald's, where they'll hand me a large one through a drive through window for three dollars. If I add another buck I can have fries or a burger with that. And believe it or not, no one is hanging around the parking lot, and there's no AMET guy to tell me I stopped with my tires on the white line during the drive home, and there aren't 4 people who don't understand the meaning of death, riding on a concho with no lights waiting for a drunk driver to wipe them out because the police and bartenders put drunk drivers in jail around here, as well as people who ride anything with two wheels without lights at night.

I can take money from an ATM at any hour of the day or night and there isn't a watchy man with a shotgun anywhere in sight.

I can check into virtually any hotel without worry that an entire Dominican family booked their trip to Nueva York on my Visa card.

I haven't lost power a single time since I left the DR a year ago.

But I do love the DR and may live there again some day.

By the way...how many murders in Sosua have been solved with the murderer convicted and in prison in the last five years? I already know about the Swedish woman's killer..who has yet to be convicted, so try another example.

Well I guess there aren't any cold cases files in the US just sitting there collecting dust. Did they ever catch the person that killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman? What about Jimmy Hoffa, was he ever caught?

Ok big Dan, you made your point. You are living in Kansas. Please say hi to Dorothy for me. Just remember that Kansas is only a small portion within the US.

Last edited:

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I'll sell you some oceanfront property here in Kansas, a unique opportunity that allows you to share ownership and pick any two weeks you like to stay. Or perhaps you would like to buy an entire unit. Deed and title will be delivered, I promise.

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No police has ever demanded money from me, ever. Not only that they are always respectful and I have refused to give tips if I had no small change. I generally thank them for their work and then send me on my way with a salute most times.

Some of you guys could learn a little about the culture here and how far showing a little respect and couth can take you.

With respect Chip, often it does go down like that, but equally often it doesn't. You can not be serious in trying to justify this kind of action. If a police officer stopped you in the US and asked you for the money for a MacD's for lunch you would be taping it on your phone and have it sent into the news station to be played to the world and have the officer sacked. Why because you are in the DR you would do the complete opposite and try to defend this action is beyond me, incomprehendable. And don't play the Yanadu card of 'I know a guy who once knew a guy', or 'it has never happened to me', it happens to most everyone else, just because you choose not to recognise a slap in the face when it comes from a Dominican doesn't change what it is.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Off Limits

Last time I checked there are beaches in DR where you can park too.

This is true.

However, more and more beaches are prohibited for the public, where hotels or well connected people have shut 'their' beach front off.
This is done with (legally) or without (against the Constitution) a presidential decree.

donP

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I'll sell you some oceanfront property here in Kansas, a unique opportunity that allows you to share ownership and pick any two weeks you like to stay. Or perhaps you would like to buy an entire unit. Deed and title will be delivered, I promise.

Hahaha, thanks Big Dan, but I will have to pass, I will just stay here in the real world, I don't do anything stronger than Guinness, and I would need something dangerously strong to meet you there. My head would not bee able to handle all that great stuff that this firs world country let in.
Or would that also disqualify this country from being first world?

But thanks again and watch out for the big waves.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Well, Mr_DR,

One must leave the ghetto to understand that most of the first world doesn't live in one.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

yes, Chip. that might very well be so. however, try to visualize what might occur the next time he encounters you, and remembers you to be the guy who stiffed him the first time. you might spend a few hours waiting while he decides upon the legality of your drivers' license. then what? who are you going to run to?

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
That is true, but You went way beyond that, you went to Kansas.

My slice of Kansas looked fine this morning...

21b955k.jpg
[/IMG]

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
yes, Chip. that might very well be so. however, try to visualize what might occur the next time he encounters you, and remembers you to be the guy who stiffed him the first time. you might spend a few hours waiting while he decides upon the legality of your drivers' license. then what? who are you going to run to?

With all due respect buddy if you are so paranoid you might want to stop coming to the DR.