Chocal - Chocolate Making near Alta Mira

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I visited this women's cooperative last summer and they have come along way since. I wondered if any of you in Santiago or on the North Coast have seen any of their products being sold? They make it from the bean and get the cacao from a cooperative in their community.

They also make a variety of fruit and herb wines and of course, cacao wine.

They had some help from a European chocolatier in the past year and would really love to know if anyone has tried their bonbons?

El aroma perseverante de las mujeres - listindiario.com

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
altamira is not far from POP but i have never ventured inside.
still, i hate you for bringing up the subject of chocolate again. it gives me impure thoughts.
;)

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The entrance is a little bit before Altamira coming from PP on the left hand side. The community is called Palmar Grande. They are open during the day from 8am-5pm, go check them out.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I tried their bon bons at last year's Cibao Expo in Santiago...they were so good I bought a bag and a bottle of the Cacao wine. The wine was ok...sort of tasted like a thin Baileys, without the Irish Cream...not something I'd buy again though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I sent a group up there this past summer...they seemed to enjoy themselves. This is the on where Do?a Luz is the boss lady/leader of the coop??

HB

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I sent a group up there this past summer...they seemed to enjoy themselves. This is the on where Do?a Luz is the boss lady/leader of the coop??

HB

Yes, HB the very same. I copied and pasted this off a flyer that was sent to me recently:

Tiene a bien informar a sus amigos, seguidores y amantes del chocolate que el 09 de septiembre del 2012 estaremos participando en la Feria Verde que organiza la USAID en los terrenos de la Universidad Nacional Pedro Henr?quez Ure?a -UNPHU- de 9:00 A.M. a 4:00 P.M.

CHOCAL presentar? su gran variedad de la l?nea cl?sica de chocolate, as? como la de chocolate Premium: Chocomega, Morinchoco, nib de caf? y cacao, naranja, chinola y fresa. ?Un sorbo de vino Altamira y Palma colma de placer!

Disfruta la magia del Chocolate.
CHOCAL
Marca municipal
Feria Verde, divertida, entretenida, familiar y ecol?gica.
Recicla y obtiene descuento en CHOCAL
809-841-3677, 809-471-7959
chocolatedealtamira@gmail.com

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DV* - The Team thought you did a post on Chocolate production on the North Coast with a great description of how to get there etc.

Is was really mouth watering ! Perhaps you can insert it into this thread too!

Olly and the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can quote myself like a lad, lonely soul i am ;)

well, i've heard about this chocolate factory in altamira many moons ago but somewhat i have never been able to make it but few days ago finally we packed up and went...

first thing you need to know is that it is not in altamira but another small village, palmar grande. just before altamira if coming from POP or just after if coming form santiago. from the main road you take turn left if coming from POP or right if from santiago. almost immediately you'll hit the dirt road as asphalt ends just few meters away from where most of the votes are :rolleyes:

the road is accessible even in a low sedan, or in a ground level twenty year old honda civic if you are dominican :) jeep is way better, especially if it has been raining because i saw the road being washed away in few places.

125t0xy.jpg

you'll need to drive about 10-15 minutes. stunning views. gosh, i love dominican campo. it is so peaceful, colourful and calm...

a9wu89.jpg

in any case, when you pass a small parquecito (literally one tree with few cement benches around it) you are almost there. few meters further down the road there it is:

2casmc.jpg

the factory is really tiny and you cannot enter the production area to and see it. but you can talk to one of the ladies who work there to find out a little bit more... there are 30 local women working there and most of the work is done by hand. the place was partially funded by USAID. all chocolate made there is totally organic and natural. there is nothing artificial in it. the cocoa is grown outside:

fuyjy0.jpg

then it is dried in the sun:

e1dyco.jpg

everyone seems super nice and willing to talk. the lady was joking that the only man in the factory was a 7 year old son of one of the workers :)

there is a good selection of goodies to buy, from chocolate bears to pure cocoa in balls (it's kind of a slightly greasy brown rock you can grate for cooking, desserts, hot chocolate and so on). there is also a good selection of small bars of chocolate, 70% cacao and with flavours (passion fruit, orange, strawberry, coffee and world famous moringa):

20gbpfs.jpg

prices are very low. small chocolate bar is just 30 pesos! we took 12 bars (yes, yes, i know) plus cocoa ball plus big 70% cocoa chocolate roll and the bill was 450 pesos.
they also make cocoa wine and some other liqueurs. frankly speaking not so tasty but roots and herbs thingy tasted like vermouth if anyone likes that. all natural again.

in general, what a great trip! i was super happy despite a little downside of a delegate from the omnipresent cucaracha tribe, happily sitting in the back of a food display. he did not dump my spirits thou, because chocal chocolate is so good! it has better quality of some imported stuff that i have tried. and it is local. and by buying this you are being good for the community and for yourself!

so go, check it out!