What is the real advantage to become a resident?

giga

Feb 11, 2012
Expat 13,

Can you pls send me contact of your lawyer?
You can send me pm please,

I disagree, I have had an account for 3 yeras no cedula-only passport, I received residency 6 months ago and opened another USD account and when handed them my cedula, after a couple minutes they handed it back and asked for my passport- I asked why they didnt enter or need my cedula- answer: your cedula is still not in the system so it has no value to us... I tried this with Claro as well for contract, same answer.. I asked my lawyer whats up and I personally went through the process in getting it at the correct authority so its not fake, just that the system takes forever to update..It will be expired before it is in the system... Like i said, means squat!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I worked in a hospital here for 10 years.Retired,"AGAIN" 5 years ago.Now "Obama" sends me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ every month!
So keep working,and paying taxes in the USA,I need a raise.
CCCCC

Aug 21, 2007
Financing w/o a cedula might be hard..... cash buying can be done but the insurance part gets dicey... read tough to impossible to collect on

I have read this on dr1, but my experience doesn't back up those comments. I know of a few people without residency who collected on car insurance with little or no problem.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have read this on dr1, but my experience doesn't back up those comments. I know of a few people without residency who collected on car insurance with little or no problem.

Lindsey

You could be right LK,, I've never had the problem.

Like everything else RD related, it might not be as consistent as we would like.
Might work for some and not others...... better safe than sorry .

The bigger question is why some people shy away from the residency issue.
It never crossed my mind.
If I have a house, car, etc - then I want to be 'certified', not just 'passing by'.

Thats just me, I guess.
How's your application going?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Question can someone purchase a vehicle without residencia (i.e. cedula)? Must the purchase be in full cash or can you finance without residencia? Just a general question out of curiousity.

As said, financing will be hard, but no impossible. The thing is that all banks rely on credit bureaus where you can only look up people by their cedula number. But still, you can find someone willing to finance on their own (not through a bank) and in that case it's a different story.

Aug 21, 2007
How's your application going?

It is in process in SD, as it has been since the end of June. My attorney says that there seems to be no movement at all right now on temporary residencies.

I am wondering if others who have submitted their applications for temporary residency have made any progress since submission.....

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That might be worth a separate thread... Applications in Process

BTW, that Charred/Scruffed is really good.....I'm killing it w/ that book.
Thanks again

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A hell of a lot of time, trouble and money!

Well, in my case it was painless (2008) and well worth it, IMO.

Those who have yet to do it are facing some difficulties
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/125...ts-under-10-year-residency-2.html#post1133797

This is one angry poster who listened to some advice given here and regrets it.

As I said before, how can one invest in property, car, casa and not legitimise themselves ??
Seems foolish to me.... but thats just me, I guess.

Done properly, its a breeze -- maybe I should use the past tense:glasses: