shipping luxury motorbike to DR; TAXES ; COSTS ETC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have over 30,000 miles here in 6 years in the DR without any problems. I've ridden all over the island without issue.

Once one learns the rules riding in the DR is very safe for motorcycles.

I am also aware of a lot of motorcycle accidents here as well as my sister in law works at the public hospital. What one finds out in 99% of the cases of accidents is that the motorcyclist was drinking, careless or was on a bike that wasn't fit for the road, such as no lights, brakes or a chain that had never been lubed.

The fact is there are so many motorcycles on the road that the drivers have to be very aware. I can only expect the reason that people believe that riding in the DR is dangerous is that they have little personal experience riding in the DR.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
total agreement to all written above by Cobra, Frank and Chip, no doubt.
my own personal "additions" to the text are:
* while experience of the Biker is of course worth more than 5 airbags in a Jeep, when the drunken idiot in his Camioneta without any experience/care/brakes/lights hits da Road, then on daily bases in the Country the $hit hits the Ven, sometimes even that the Victim been decades long experienced on some hundred thousand miles.
* of course it makes a large difference what size/weight/powers of Bike is used, a typical 125cc Motoconcho would not be something I name a Bike anywhere. aside of my 250's Honda Crossbikes and the 250's Yamahas for the closed circuit petro tracks(of course both for Competition rides ONLY, no public roads permits/use) my Bikes for the recreational lifetime rides been 900's and up, from High Speed Bikes to Choppers(Harley-likes, but I always prefered the reliability of the Japanese Brands, Honda specifically, over the Harleys, even that I find them very 'nice') to my Custom Built Dragster with Roadpermit(engine been a old Honda V2 1100cc Twin).
* the "appropriate Gear is exactly what bothers me down here on the Island, as I would not ride a real Bike without the full propper Protection Gear on, ALWAYS, but the typical Climate for most time of the year on the Island does make to wear the propper protection gear a uncomfy hassle, by My Feeling and experience only.
* total agreement: the DR is small but beautiful for Biking and I know why you Guys use the small Choppers mainly to come around on thye 'normal roads, they are cost efficient, a safe pace driving style is usual on such Bike.
my own prefered Bike would be one of the likes like a 750cc 1Cyl Yamaha or similar, highly forgiving pothholes, no prob to switch from pavement to the dirty track to reach the points where no Cars and most other Bikes do not reach safely, perfect to explore really the Full Island around.

but for my own case such explorations been already done, in many countries, thru whole western europe, over american highways and thru african deserts, I survived them all without a single broken Bone, I simply may just reach the personal age where I appreciate the higher safety of a Truck.

the DR will be beautiful for very experienced Bikers(just some thousand miles on wide straight US Highways I would not count, as you don't face real traffick there to gain experience) who rode calm roads the same as speedy stretchy roads, Dirtbike Experience is of course a Huge Surplus as far as Experience goes, as you learn there as the Basics how to throw yourself in the Dirt/on the Pavement if da crap comes up, but for such of course the full protection gear is a MUST HAVE, and that's where I feel uncomfy with in the DR Humidity.

safe and enjoyable Biking

Mike

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
* the "appropriate Gear is exactly what bothers me down here on the Island, as I would not ride a real Bike without the full propper Protection Gear on, ALWAYS, but the typical Climate for most time of the year on the Island does make to wear the propper protection gear a uncomfy hassle, by My Feeling and experience only.

Mike
Mike, not anymore. Gear has changed.

Everything I wear is armored (shoulder, elbow, knee, hip) ballistic mesh which allows for huge airflow, vented flip-face helmet, leather and vented ballistic mesh gloves and full open-mesh back/chest protector. My full-length boots are not ventilated but are waterproof; no big deal. I wear 35db ear plugs.

I wear modern dry wicking t-shirt, shorts, undies and socks below.

I've ridden in the desert SW in May and haven't been uncomfortable or hot...unless at a stop. In fact, my gear is far cooler than jeans and a denim jacket.

Protective gear is no longer uncomfortable or hot. And it's saved me...twice.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think it would be great to have classic bike like an indian here in the DR. As one isn't tempted to go fast one gets to really enjoy the scenery. I've also noticed that it would appear their has been an increase motorcycle club riding here in the Santiago area.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of nice rides, one day when I have enough money I would like to convert one of these one cylinder bikes into a track bike look-alike and go on rides through the mountains here and on the back roads.

Speaking of small bikes I do most of my daily errands on my 125. I have a project or two starting in Sosua and will be making daily trips there from Santiago on my bike. I've had some acquaintances ask my why I use my bike so much since I have a car and I've responded that I need to save money plus the fact is I can't get enough of riding my bike here for some reason. It could be that I grew up and always wanted a motorbike, etc but my Dad could never afford one or maybe I like the freedom or the fact that there is very little traffic for me - or all of the above.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
The total percentage amount in taxes that you will be pay would about 77% of total cost of the bike, shipment which includes insurance. So if your bike is 15K in the USA plus another 3000USD in shipment and insurance you will be paying about 77% taxes on 18000.00USD.

niceguy

Aug 6, 2011
The total percentage amount in taxes that you will be pay would about 77% of total cost of the bike, shipment which includes insurance. So if your bike is 15K in the USA plus another 3000USD in shipment and insurance you will be paying about 77% taxes on 18000.00USD.

77%???? this figure is taken from where ( i ask respectfully). If my bike is 15k plus another 3000USD that equals 20%. Many thanks

niceguy

Aug 6, 2011
if i use an import agent; how does that work. Do i take the official documents of price for the bike ($15k); the importa agent charges me a fee to transfer the bike and uponarrival into the DR will present these documents to the customs agent. At what point do i pay my import duty and at what point does the import agent step out of this equation. I hope the import agent can take care of the tax and i not become the victim of extortion by these conniving opportunistic peasants

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
77%???? this figure is taken from where ( i ask respectfully). If my bike is 15k plus another 3000USD that equals 20%. Many thanks
I'd be surprised if it doesn't cost around $7000 in taxes and another $2500 to ship.

For example, a couple of years ago I saw a new V-Rod at a dealer in StoDgo. The US price: around $17,000. The DR price: $31,000.

I bought 11 V-Stroms through the DR importer in '08. The US price at the time was a tad under $7,000. The discounted DR price: right at $11,500.

Just sayin'...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
if i use an import agent; how does that work. Do i take the official documents of price for the bike ($15k); the importa agent charges me a fee to transfer the bike and uponarrival into the DR will present these documents to the customs agent. At what point do i pay my import duty and at what point does the import agent step out of this equation. I hope the import agent can take care of the tax and i not become the victim of extortion by these conniving opportunistic peasants
peasants?

conniving opportunistic PEASANTS???

Dude, you are one arrogant moron...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Cobra is right,
for imports of vehicles(I never imported a Car or Bike but did import a number of Boats, they run down the same road as Cars and Bikes importwise) if you negociate hard and successful so that the Shipping and Importtaxes(make sure you get the important paper in hadnd from Aduanas which states that the Vehicle's Importation Taxes are all cleared)and the Shipping Agent are included, and your final total adds just a 50-55% to the real Value of Origin of the vehicle, then you negociated very good. as Cobra did, the vehicles of 7K original value costed to arrive here 11.5KUS$ each. a person new to that kind of business without a Agent would not come any close to those rates, the same Bikes would have cost close to 13K at least, and a bunch of hassles and drives to Aduanas included on a long road to Paradise(which always passes thru Devil's Desert first).
while I never used a Agent, during 18 years on the job I guess I gained some Experience and made Boat Specific Connections which come out more "usefull" import by import. it includes a bunch of travels to the Capital for the Boats Papers to be cleared, and afterwards some rides to the Naval base in ST Dgo and finally to the Naval Base in La Romana for the def Dom Boatpapers to be issued after importation. the 2 Boats I imported last year run around the 20% marg of their listed Value, Excluding Transport(I drove them over here myself) and no Agent Fees included as I did the Foodwork myself(almost myself, with time you know the Guys to call and send with papers and money to La Capital).

the big point for the OP:
if you are set to have Your Custom Bike with you here(something I can understand from the Heart, and that Heartblood costs), then you should consult a reputable Import agency to handle your Import from the beginning til delivery to your DR Home, request a Total rate which includes Transport, all Import Taxes and the Agent's Fees, then you can decide if the Babe is worth the Bucks to have it here or to better sell it back home or store it at home to be used when you visit again.
be aware that there is a specific Fee never included in the Agent's quoted Total, and that's the Storage Overstaying Fee at Customs, if "for what ever reason" the product/Bike does not leave Customs on the set time and sticks there for extra days/weeks/months, then Customs get's quiet hefty extra Fees for "Storage" on their grounds per day/per week/per month, doesn't matter who's fault it is that the Import did not pass Customs as quick as awaited/promised by a Agent or such.
if you plan to stay here on the Island, start to think about a new Idea:
sell your Bike at home and with that money start to build a new custom Bike down here, you get the pleasure of doing so, you safe a heck of Bucks and Hey, NO DARN RULES down here for motifications, for me as a German Ruled Car Check and Bike Check Law Overflown Country this Island is Dreamland for Custom Build Vehicles, as there are almost No Ruleswhich can not be fixed at your Favour by some Pesos.

good luck

Mike

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
be aware that there is a specific Fee never included in the Agent's quoted Total, and that's the Storage Overstaying Fee at Customs, if "for what ever reason" the product/Bike does not leave Customs on the set time and sticks there for extra days/weeks/months, then Customs get's quiet hefty extra Fees for "Storage" on their grounds per day/per week/per month, doesn't matter who's fault it is that the Import did not pass Customs as quick as awaited/promised by a Agent or such.
True.

Let the adauanas agents know you think they are "opportunistic peasants" and see how long that bike will be in the penalty box...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah Cobra,
my Partner Harry and his wife made their final /official Move to the Island last year, big oversea contaoner shipped and handled by a agent/shipping company from Austria sheduled to arrive early July.
it arrived on time, and took a lil "vacation" at Customs in St Dgo.
Why,
to be honest, til today I could not figure out what the reason had been, it stood there for 2 months(thanks god no rotting stuff inside, just furnichures, electronic equipments which took their toll, household stuff, I told him to give da crap at home to charity and be the lucky guy to purchase all new down here, what he at the end anyways did, lol), after handing over to the Agent-Company in Austria a official Paper from Court to sue them they made the appropriate pressure on their involved Agent on the Isle and an other 3 days later the Container parked on a big Truck in front of the house to get unloaded. sure they got a bill for the "Storage Fees", luckily the Homecountry Agent went surprisingly responsible and took them on His Bill to keep his Company's good reputation at home on Top, nice move, could have ended with 3Grand extras down here for darn furnichures and TV's and such.
if I imagine such happens to a beloved vehicle like a Custom Build Bike, I bet I would run Nuts with da Gun at hands down there at La Capital.
I saw often enough here at the Car Dealers the new Jeepetas etc etc after they had their vacation time for 3-6 months at Aduanas in St Dgo, standing out there in the open right on the beautiful Oceanfront, darn rotten they come out, Salt is the worst a vehicle can get, and worse is when it get's salty air to breathe for month without anybody near to clean it up with Sweetwater and take proper care of it, just standing there out in the open.

on the other hand, the exactly same departure and arrival time, a friend of my Partner and wife did also ship their Container, through the same homecountry agent and handled here by the same Local DR Agent/Company, and it been in front of the homedoor within a few days after arriving in the DR.

but for a belove d vehicle I would myself not take the Luck of the Draw as the Game Rule.

I am today's familiar with the processes and handlings in case of Boats, and even with long years experience and many importations (which til to date went all fine and the way I expected/wanted) it is still a Science itself.
that Government changes once in a while it's Directors/Guys in Charge is not helping much neither, you just start new negociations over again, lol.

Mike

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I saw often enough here at the Car Dealers the new Jeepetas etc etc after they had their vacation time for 3-6 months at Aduanas in St Dgo, standing out there in the open right on the beautiful Oceanfront, darn rotten they come out, Salt is the worst a vehicle can get, and worse is when it get's salty air to breathe for month without anybody near to clean it up with Sweetwater and take proper care of it, just standing there out in the open.

Mike
When we went to pick up our van & trailer, there were numerous vehicles that were literally stripped of parts. I asked the guys what happened, and they just shrugged. In an area with an arm-guarded high fence.

I had a battery and spare tire missing, and it was there for only a day.

("Beautiful oceanfront...:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: That is possibly the single nastiest place I have ever been. I've used cleaner landfills in Fl...)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
When we went to pick up our van & trailer, there were numerous vehicles that were literally stripped of parts. I asked the guys what happened, and they just shrugged. In an area with an arm-guarded high fence.

I had a battery and spare tire missing, and it was there for only a day.

("Beautiful oceanfront...:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: That is possibly the single nastiest place I have ever been. I've used cleaner landfills in Fl...)

exactly my point about the "beautiful Oceanfront".
I should have written it between questionmarks or such, lol.
on a Real Beautiful Oceanfront, that's where I live myself, not available at Aduanas, yikes, not any near St Dgo anyways.

wanna get some addresses of "Businesses" where you can 'purchase original brand new and used parts of cars and bikes and boats and .... for cheapy rates'?
hey, no need to pay Aduanas agan, they already "passed without a hinch", lol.

Mike